test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Rebirth

Comments

• oldmansmellsoldmansmells Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So if this is a thing, what's the next move when it comes to the current events on the Holodeck server, like the Iconian War? Is it still happening, well going to happen, or is the Rebirth just a short time event, a sort of look back at things in STO during launch and its early days? Or are both going to exist side by side, like how Holodeck is the main server, Tribble is testing, and Redshirt would be old STO?

Also, are the mods planing on moving all the events that are occurring now on to Redshirt after Rebirth, and it'll use older tech, or will they use it to try to fix the bugs from that era that are still in the game now?

Sorry if this seems like a lot, I'd not only love to play the classic STO, but I'd also like to know what happens to the game going forward.
  • tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So if this is a thing, what's the next move when it comes to the current events on the Holodeck server, like the Iconian War? Is it still happening, well going to happen, or is the Rebirth just a short time event, a sort of look back at things in STO during launch and its early days? Or are both going to exist side by side, like how Holodeck is the main server, Tribble is testing, and Redshirt would be old STO?

Also, are the mods planing on moving all the events that are occurring now on to Redshirt after Rebirth, and it'll use older tech, or will they use it to try to fix the bugs from that era that are still in the game now?

Sorry if this seems like a lot, I'd not only love to play the classic STO, but I'd also like to know what happens to the game going forward.

Dont take it so seriously.... it was an april fools joke. No way would cryptic TRIBBLE everyone over by deleting holodeck. That would mean you lost everything.
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 695 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    maolan wrote: »
    Retiring the main holodeck server?

A) If this is a joke, I'm trying to find the humor in it.
    B) If it's real, well, all things must come to an end and I'm moving on. There are people who have invested five years playing on the server. I guess this doesn't mean a thing. Personally, I feel that this is not moving forward, but a waste of money that I spent looking to have a good time.

Yeah, the "retiring Holodeck" thing was a joke. (And a very unfunny one; I agree.)

The Redshirt retro server, however, was real -- at least for a short time. And whatever humor the joke was trying to get across was lost in the sheer epicness of having an STO retro server.
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Redshirt really needs to stay like that, seriously. You want more players and a decline in complaints? This is how to do it.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited April 2015

There is no way that Cryptic would have invested so much time and money in recent additions and/or upgrades to the game simply to "pull the plug". It was an obvious April Fools joke and should be treated as such. As far as the "original" STO being on Redshirt.... definitely worth a trip down memory lane. In the end, however, Redshirt will probably be set back to the way it was and things will return to "semi" normal around here.

Holodeck being removed though? Seriously doubt it. It wouldn't surprise me if the server was replaced with a newer one, however.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    edited April 2015
    I just wanted to make sure of it. Never know what to expect from this game sometimes, and the news, the release date of said news, and the prospect of a retro server, kind of made me go "you puling my chain" or if this is really going to happen. Never hurts to make sure.
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I was amazed at how I could basically still do the original tutorial with my eyes closed, even though it's been years since I've run through it. Apparently back in the day I ran through it with a lot of characters.

I'm also amused that it seems as though PVPers prefer the game as it was at launch and non-PVPers prefer the game as it is now.

Creating a separate PVP server with its own rule set is actually quite brilliant.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    People always see the past with rose tinted glasses. :)

Not true. Some see the future with rose tinted glasses. :P
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    edited April 2015
    quintaris wrote: »
    I was amazed at how I could basically still do the original tutorial with my eyes closed, even though it's been years since I've run through it. Apparently back in the day I ran through it with a lot of characters.

I'm also amused that it seems as though PVPers prefer the game as it was at launch and non-PVPers prefer the game as it is now.

Creating a separate PVP server with its own rule set is actually quite brilliant.

It would be neat if they did a PVP server. It would also be neat if they made a server, set in an alternate sort of timeline of the game, like the Mirror Universe, or with the Iconian War a timeline where they win the war (if in the main server we win), or a timeline where the Borg invasion during 2409 was a lot worse than it was. Or even a timeline where Romulus wasn't destroyed, and the Romulan Empire is still as strong as it was before the Hobus supernova.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It would be neat if they did a PVP server. It would also be neat if they made a server, set in an alternate sort of timeline of the game, like the Mirror Universe, or with the Iconian War a timeline where they win the war (if in the main server we win), or a timeline where the Borg invasion during 2409 was a lot worse than it was. Or even a timeline where Romulus wasn't destroyed, and the Romulan Empire is still as strong as it was before the Hobus supernova.

that would actually be rather nice bit they would need separate teams to manage each shard. and i doubt that would happen. but i love the idea of a retro shard full time with no support. or a copy past of retro with full on PvP everyplace. again no support just there for use.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    quintaris wrote: »

Brillant indeed!
    This would solve a LOT of issues (on so many levels).
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    icegavel wrote: »
    Rebirth, I dub thee... Star Trek Online: Enterprise!

But to be serious for a moment, I would like to see more references to Enterprise-era stuff in STO.
    edited April 2015
    johngazman wrote: »
    So Redshirt Rising was taken? Why not Legacy Of Redshirt?

Redshirt Rising AKA Arr-Arr.

:: slaps hands together like a seal ::
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Redshirt's Revenge!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    edited April 2015
    dlmc85 wrote: »
    No one got it because of him working in sector 7G? Well for what it can matter i think it would be fun to try once how the game was at launch

Try googling it under maps.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=23126221

:D
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thing is... This is an April Fools but if you were serious I wild actually be happy. It was a simpler time and the game was more fun. It was more visceral, more engaging. Sure it was scruffy looking and lacked content, but it was a better 'game'...

In my opinion his is a little bit of a backfire.

Yeah, I considered STO a 'better' game back then too.
    Back when the C-store was just cosmetic items, no one had heard of lockboxes, max level ships costed 250k EC, no one had heard of Rep grinding, & everything wasn't all about pushing players to buy Zen.

Not the best April Fools joke whe you just make people remember how sucky the 'atmosphere' of STO has become even if the game is technologically/graphically better. I'd gladly take the neglect Atari seemed to give STO over the whip cracking PWE does to SELL MORE ZEN!!!!!!
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • neodac1neodac1 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    redshirt has reappeared on my list and appears to still be running rebirth but is not "live" yet do not lose hope those of you who have not gotten a chance to see it yet!
  • kblskbls Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    these *******s clearly know what the player base wants and are just saying **** you to anyone who knows how bad this game is atm. The game itself is a joke right now, we make fun of it enough while u idiots pray u dont lose ur jobs for another week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    neodac1 wrote: »
    redshirt has reappeared on my list and appears to still be running rebirth but is not "live" yet do not lose hope those of you who have not gotten a chance to see it yet!

PLEASE CRYPTIC!!! Bring it back!!!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    you have to use a special command line option to load Rebirth.

"C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online.exe" -patchserver patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited April 2015
    Redshirt's still not letting me log in (and probably won't until Holodeck's back up). But yeah, it's back on the launcher and it hasn't patched out any of the Rebirth stuff, so... hope? :)

ETA: neodac1 beat me to it.
    edited April 2015
    We operate in a highly competitive industry and compete against many companies.

We believe that there are over 100 online game operators in China. Given the relatively low entry barriers to operating online games, we expect more companies to enter the online game industry in China and a wider range of online games to be introduced to the China market. Our principal competitors in China include Tencent Holdings Limited, or Tencent, NetEase.com, Inc., or NetEase, Shanda Games Limited, or Shanda Games, Changyou.com Limited, or Changyou, Giant Interactive Group Inc., or Giant Interactive, Beijing Guangyu Huaxia Sci-Tech Co., Ltd., or Guangyu Huaxia, NetDragon Websoft Inc., or NetDragon, Kingsoft Corporation Limited, or Kingsoft, Shanghai Posts & Telecommunications Technology Co., Ltd., or Tiancity, Beijng Kylin Network Information Science and Technology Co., Ltd., or Kylin, and The9 Limited, or The9. Our potential competitors also include major internet portal operators, other domestic and foreign game developers and publishers, and alliances between our existing and new competitors. Some of our competitors have significantly greater financial and marketing resources, name recognition and game development resources than we have. In addition, many of our competitors have developed and operated games that have proven commercially successful for a longer period of time than our games and have a larger portfolio of online game offerings than we do. As a result, they may be able to take greater risks and endure lower than expected performances from some of their games than we are able to do.

Our competitors may introduce new business models, and if these new business models are more attractive to customers than the business models we currently use, our customers may switch to our competitors' games. We believe that competition in the online game market in China may become more intense as increasing numbers of online games are introduced in the market. We cannot assure you that we will be able to compete successfully against any new or existing competitors, or against any new business models implemented by them. In addition, mobile games have gained increasing popularity and user base along with the online games and other online platforms. The increased competition we have experienced and anticipate in the online game industry may reduce the number of our players or growth rate of our player base, or cause us to reduce usage fees or the prices of certain in-game items. All of these competitive factors could have a material adverse effect on our revenue growth and profitability.

As we currently depend on a limited number of online games for substantially all of our revenues, any adverse developments relating to these games may adversely affect our future results of operations.

We anticipate that our existing MMORPGs and online casual game in operation will continue to account for a substantial majority of our revenues in 2014. Online game operation revenues from our top two games operated in China, namely Zhu Xian and Perfect World II, in aggregate contributed 42%, 42% and 29% of our total revenues in 2011, 2012 and 2013, respectively. Except for Zhu Xian and Perfect World II, none of the rest of our games operated in any single country individually contributed more than 10% of our total revenues in 2011, 2012 or 2013. Although we currently have a number of new games in pipeline, and will target to develop and launch more games in the future, we cannot guarantee you that we will be able to successfully develop, launch and operate any of these new games. Neither can we guarantee you that we will be able to maintain the popularity of our top games

or that our new games would generate sufficient revenues to replace these top games should they approach the end of their>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>respective life cycles.<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kirimuffin wrote: »
    Redshirt's still not letting me log in (and probably won't until Holodeck's back up). But yeah, it's back on the launcher and it hasn't patched out any of the Rebirth stuff, so... hope? :)

ETA: neodac1 beat me to it.
    did you try Zero's command line flag?

"C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online.exe" -patchserver patchserverrebirth.crypticstudios.com
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited April 2015
    oh my.... i can run both at the same time..... i need more keyboards and mice and some extra hands..... and the servers to come back up..... also some video cameras if i manage to pull all that off cause you know the extra hands would definitely make me newsworthy
    edited April 2015

thats just to get it to run in the first place not to log in servers not accepting logins yet i had to use that flag just to get it to load when i first got on it last night it was a huge ordeal for me involving not only that but digging out an old launcher from a backup from an old computer because arc didnt want to admit redshirt existed right now server is up just not live the command line flag allows you to access and patch it if gives you problems like it did me and many other people
  • nickarcher404nickarcher404 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My goodness! I read this this morning thinking it was talking serious, and my first thought was, "What about my tier 5 reputations? My lvl 60 main and alts? My used fleet modules, and 5 years of gameplay?" Then I saw, "posted April 1st". :D:D:D Good one Cryptic!
    edited April 2015
    Unable to start game client: The system cannot find the file specified.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015

Yes, that's how I got in earlier in the first place. The problem at the moment is that the server is not accepting logins.
    edited April 2015
    btw got a question for to others who have played already was able to access borg and joined trill as species i have them on my account but since the cstore and almost everything else is down in the rebirth version i was wondering if this is a matterof it reading my account flags... or if they just made them available to everyone have fun and enjoy?
    edited April 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CbWr0zO7Ac&feature=youtu.be if u wanted to know what the ****tards at craptic are thinking when u give them money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.