test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Request: Alll Hairstyles, Makeup and Stances Available to Both Sexes

Comments

• captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If you don't like him just don't use him. Yes he takes up a BOFF slot, but who cares? You can have any makeup on your bridge or away team that you want. Just because you're forced to have Tovan in your roster doesn't mean you actually have to USE him.

I don't see the problem here.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    I'd be fine if I could just rename him. But even that is impossible.

That will TRIBBLE up all the VO work for the Romulan episodes. Unless you want to have Siri or Xtranormal.com doing the VO's instead... ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    Now that makes a bit more sense. Once you are through that story arc however, maybe then you can get rid of him. I am also seeing on the forum you can use him to make a training manual now. That will get rid of him.

**I now return this thread to it's original purpose**

To all my knowledge, both of those suggestions about Tovan are impossible to realise. You still can't discharge him after completing all missions and getting lvl 60.

And as he's directly added to you as an active Boff, you never have a chance of making a training manual out of him (can only be made from Boff candidates).

Err... *reads this thread's title*... I'm all for having my female Caitian have some choice of hair (like more and longer than the one pony tail). I'm all for more species to get facial hair (was frankly kinda surprised to learn a male Romulan couldn't get a beard, althought, yes, they seem to never have been shown with moustaches and beards when I thought about it) and males to get longer hair options (I nowadays rarely see women with as long hair as I have - don't see why that should necessarily revert in the next 394-395 years).

I believe at least some kind of makeup possibility should be added to male characters as well (just look at people today, men seem to 'care about their look' more than women - I'd say both sexes spend far too much time with that...). Then there's a question of even female Trill to not have ANY option of makeup because the trill pattern takes up that 'layer' of customizations or however else some dev has explained it before.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • stealthriderstealthrider Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Haha, yes I am unfamiliar with Tovan. Why the hate? Is there another thread to reference?

I hate Tovan because he is not my boff. He is YOUR boff. Same with the other defaults (which is why I so badly want the options on boffs I can pick for myself).

I hate Tovan because the Romulan story is not MY story, it's TOVAN'S story.

I hate Tovan because I can't get rid of him. He's ALWAYS on my bridge. He frequently displaces my First Officer in the Doff Department Heads window. I want my crew to be entirely my crew. I want to pick them myself, like I did before LoR. I don't want Cryptic to give me THEIR crew for me to use, nor do I want to be the guest star in one of Cryptic's boffs' stories.

And most of all, I hate Tovan and the other Romulan boffs because they have those damned unique costume options that I can't use on any other character and would be lost forever if I deleted those boffs. So please, PLEASE let me use those options on other boffs and characters.

STO used to be about each player chooisng and customizing their own crew and playing through their own story. LoR changed that, and Tovan is the shining example of how.

There WOULD be dozens of threads to reference about this issue, but they were all deleted.

Edit: One more reason to hate Tovan: He has humanity. He is *supposed* to be a Romulan. Not a human with pointy ears and raised eyebrows. He's by far the worst offender in the pacifying of Romulans that LoR represented. At least D'tan is still stubborn and scheming, in his own way. Tovan is just a damned boy scout in Romulan clothing.
  • racialstereotyperacialstereotype Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I hate Tovan because he is not my boff. He is YOUR boff. Same with the other defaults (which is why I so badly want the options on boffs I can pick for myself).

I hate Tovan because I can't get rid of him. He's ALWAYS on my bridge. He frequently displaces my First Officer in the Doff Department Heads window. I want my crew to be entirely my crew. I want to pick them myself, like I did before LoR. I don't want Cryptic to give me THEIR crew for me to use, nor do I want to be the guest star in one of Cryptic's boffs' stories.

And most of all, I hate Tovan and the other Romulan boffs because they have those damned unique costume options that I can't use on any other character and would be lost forever if I deleted those boffs. So please, PLEASE let me use those options on other boffs and characters.

STO used to be about each player chooisng and customizing their own crew and playing through their own story. LoR changed that, and Tovan is the shining example of how.

There WOULD be dozens of threads to reference about this issue, but they were all deleted.

Edit: One more reason to hate Tovan: He has humanity. He is *supposed* to be a Romulan. Not a human with pointy ears and raised eyebrows. He's by far the worst offender in the pacifying of Romulans that LoR represented. At least D'tan is still stubborn and scheming, in his own way. Tovan is just a damned boy scout in Romulan clothing.

What's your in-game handle? I ought to send you something. You're a ******n hero in my books.
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I hate Tovan for the same reasons I hate the Photonic Science Officer, the Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, the Borg Science Officer, the Voth Science Officer, the Breen Tactical Officer, the Diplomatic/Marauding FED/KDF Officers, the Reman Science Officer FED/KDF, the Hierarchy Science / Intelligence Officer, Photonic Tactical Officer, the Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, the Aenar Bridge Officers, the Caitian Bridge Officers, the Ferasan Bridge Officers.

Lack of customization.

I hate the Liberated Borg engineering officers should not be Human, Klingon or Reman, they should be edited to be Alien. With the option to make them look Human, Klingon or Reman as well as any other species we can think of creating while using the Alien parts. Additional uniform options should be the classic Borg armour used in the TNG series.

I hate the Borg Science Officer because it can not be edited at all. It should have all options the Borg Engineering Officer has. That is including the 7 of 9 hands and head pieces and a male version jumpsuit based on Icheb's.

I hate the Photonic Science Officer because I can't edit it at all. As a hologram it should be fully customizable, more so then the Alien species. With access to every piece of clothing in the game. If I want an EMH mark 1 or 2 I should be able to make it. I should also be able to put it in the same uniform as the rest of the crew if I want. Or make it use off duty clothing.

I hate the Photonic Tactical Officer because I can't edit it at all. As a hologram it should be fully customizable, more so then the Alien species. With access to every piece of clothing in the game.

I hate the Kem'Hadar Tactical Officer because I have no options to edit it at all. At least I should be able change the face and body sliders and to make it use the uniform of the faction as my captain is.

I hate the Voth Science Officer because I have no options to edit it at all.

I hate the Breen Tactical Officer because I have no options to edit it at all. Sure we can't take the helmet, gloves or shoes off, but we should be able to edit the size and colour of them and the colour of the visor glow well as putting a FED/KDF/ROM uniform on the body if we like.

I hate the Diplomatic/Marauding FED/KDF Officers because I can't make them use offduty clothes or the crew uniform. They should have access to both faction uniforms.

I hate the Reman Science Officer because I have no options to edit it at all. Not even my ROM toons can edit it.

I hate the Hierarchy Science / Intelligence Officer because I have no options to edit it at all.

I hate the Aenar Bridge Officers, because I can not buy one and use it as my Marauding reward officer.

I hate the Caitian Bridge Officers, because I can not buy one and use it as my Marauding reward officer.

I hate the Ferasan Bridge Officers because I can not buy one and use it as my Diplomatic reward officer.

I hate that the BOffs no longer can use off duty clothing.

I hate that buying a playable species doesn't unlock the special species parts in the Alien generator.

I hate that Ferasans and Caitians don't have digit-grade legs for the reason that they didn't have that in TMP. Well Saurians do not have extruding semi-spherical eyes on the side of their heads as they do in TMP so that excuse is invalid. That it is impossible to incorporate with pants is also invalid as Elachi have digit-grade legs and pants. Also if they got robes & skants as a uniform option that wouldn't be a problem at all.

So this is a problem that keeps on growing as new BOffs are added.

Ideally we should be able to turn in these for new versions that have these things enabled and are available both as male and female version.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Don't know about yours but my tovan khev is as customizable as any male romulan..
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    Well that was a decent sized derail. Kinda thought with the amount of repeated comments and hate for him there would have been a thread already.

Anwyay, thanks for the info on Tovan - amusing and informative. I remembered who he was after someone mentioned the Boffs. I'm sure there's a lot of complication with simply removing him or even giving the option to use someone else, but there are good points that have been brought up.

Anyway, probably best to rerail now.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    The reason there isn't a readily available thread to link you is that the topic of Tovan Khev is now in the Frequently Created Threads list: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1162461

So essentially the question has been asked and answered and no more threads allowed.

Anyway back on topic, I'll add my voice to this that I would at least like some more long-hair options for males. I have accepted that I can't look as cool as Aragorn in real life, but dang it, I can make my space barbie that cool!
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • stealthriderstealthrider Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well that was a decent sized derail. Kinda thought with the amount of repeated comments and hate for him there would have been a thread already.

Anwyay, thanks for the info on Tovan - amusing and informative. I remembered who he was after someone mentioned the Boffs. I'm sure there's a lot of complication with simply removing him or even giving the option to use someone else, but there are good points that have been brought up.

Can I re-rail it to reiterate that regardless of Tovan, my original request was (and still is) to have the default Romulan boffs' unique clothing options (the doctor's coat, medical bag, unique belt, unique pouches, etc) on other characters and boffs?

'Cause that very important bit was kind of totally ignored. I'm not just talking about Tovan's options. The other four default Romulan boffs, the ones you get from the first few missions, have unique clothing options that no other boffs can get, for no real reason. They're not keyed to a specific body type (all four boffs are fully customizable), they're not race specific (the clothing options are completely generic), so why are they limited to those four white/green, nearly-useless boffs?

The boffs I'm talking about are Hiven, Satra, Veril, and D'Vex. Look at them, find the clothing options I'm talking about, and put those options on other boffs and other characters, for all factions to use. There is no reason to keep them unique to those specific, absolutely garbage-tier boffs.
  • xanthraelxanthrael Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'd very much like to see gender-neutral character customisation. Men have the right to wear skirts and make-up, just as women have the right to wear formal outfits which cover most of their skin, and everyone should have the right to whichever stance they want. Star Trek Online already pretty much leads the world in terms of character customisation, so why not add some ultra-progressiveness into the mix?
    I am a radical feminist, and as such have no fear of being controversial. Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and I love it.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    xanthrael wrote: »
    ...Star Trek Online already pretty much leads the world in terms of character customisation...

Except for colors maybe. The palettes are way too limited.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • xanthraelxanthrael Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2015

True, in some cases.
    I am a radical feminist, and as such have no fear of being controversial. Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and I love it.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Any chance that we could get some spoilers on how the updated borg skins are coming?
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2015

You can't even half tell what some colors are sometimes.

We need names of colors in the tailor.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm not in the "make everything available to everyone" camp, but I was looking at the open Dyson jackets earlier and I'd really like to see them made available to male characters. I just think they look better open, showing a little skin.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    xanthrael wrote: »
    I'd very much like to see gender-neutral character customisation. Men have the right to wear skirts and make-up, just as women have the right to wear formal outfits which cover most of their skin, and everyone should have the right to whichever stance they want. Star Trek Online already pretty much leads the world in terms of character customisation, so why not add some ultra-progressiveness into the mix?
    STO doesn't lead Cryptic games for customization. Champions Online blows it out of the water.

And in CO, men can wear skirts and makeup, and women can wear a suit and tie.
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I support and encourage this 100%.

There is no in-universe justification, particularly in the UFP, for gender-locking hairstyles etc.

Immersion concerns: so you might run into a captain in ESD wearing a sun dress? Tell me again how a Vulcan Fleet Admiral wearing what looks like a nightgown, doesn't.

I can absolutely respect arguments against that are grounded in practical concerns, such as "I'd rather the devs focus on fixing bugs" or "we would like to offer this option but it is not without a cost in dev time".

Personally I would think that expanding customization options is inherently capable of being monetized.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    First off, before I go off ranting and dissecting posts, let me preface what I'm aiming here some, to hopefully prevent some "misunderstandings"...

From what I gathered in the 15+ pages of posts before the "usual Tovan stuff" started it's requisite derail, the thread went from "allow us to mix/match hairstyles and have guys strut in 'cute, feminine and seductive' stances" to "full on give us the ability to create any character we'd like, including those that would look straight out of the "Japanese Anime Levels of Androgynous confusion" as to male/female (and maybe age).

My focus is strictly on the latter portion of the conversation - aka why "we" can't have "Japanese Anime Levels of Androgynous" looks, such as an "effeminate" male or "females that aren't nigh-barbie-curvy"
    Here is something that could end STO.

Childish looking character + risian swimsuit + one mis tell to local = STO is now in the crosshairs of Capital Hill and the life of STO could end.

Pretty sure this could never happen but I like looking at the worst thing that could happen. It is nice when it does not happen and it if does I'm ready to handle it somewhat.

Take the character depicted in this quote. However, instead of Risa, take the screenshot on Drozana during the heights of the "roleplay" Drozana's famous for. Watch Congress and/or ESRB "go to town" with that one...
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Yes, that situation is possible. But it would be a misunderstanding at best, and it doesn't have anything to do with this topic. Again, not every freedom is on the same level. Even though I see nothing wrong with that situation, I recognize that people who have the power to shut an MMO down do, and that would be a good justification to urge people not to do that. I do believe that freedom of speech and expression is a very good moral guideline, but recognizing that your actions could harm others and restricting yourself accordingly is a good idea.

Remember, this is the internets. What I emphasized with my selective bolding of your quote seemingly doesn't exist for some people on this here anonymous internet anymore.

Until such time that the internet becomes known for it's "well thought out and universal applications of self-restraint", there will be "issues" with the "enforced restraints" attempting to prohibit the most egregious violators of "moral guidelines" vs. those who want to "sanely" approach the borders of the "restraint's limits"...

And I haven't even broached the concept of "recognizing that your actions could harm others then intentionally doing such to bring about strife and/or cause the denial of enjoyment to those others - commonly referenced as "trolling" - or the fact that certain politicians "love" making a "misunderstanding" into a "moral crisis that needs immediate correction for the safety of our society and world."
    orangeitis wrote: »
    But again, nothing to do with this thread. Anything I'm suggestion in the OP of this thread? It would not end STO. It's completely harmless. And to honor freedom of speech and expression, expressing oneself in the way that the individual chooses is more important than the possibility that it may offend a few people if they see it.

There are many things that I'd rather not see in STO, and I do see them regularly. But I respect my fellow players' choice to express themselves in that manner, and I would support their right to do so. After all, it might be my turn to wish to express myself in a new way, and I'd want support from them. Fair's fair.

As I said - the "simple stuff" of this thread - hairstyles in particular - shouldn't be a problem. It's that more complicated "Japanese Anime Androgyny" that poses many more issues, and while I may respect those who wish to use it for "sane" purposes, the internets is sadly full of people ready to abuse anything they can get their hands on and therefore prevention is the order of the day...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We "can't" have "Japanese Anime Levels of Androgynous" characters because some people:
    1. Care way too much about other people's (characters') appearance?
    2. Have an unhealthy obsession about the gender of video game characters?
    3. Hate anime?
    4. Can't mind their own business?
    5. All of the above?

:cool:
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    We "can't" have "Japanese Anime Levels of Androgynous" characters because some people:
    3. Hate anime?
    5. All of the above?

Dangit, the thrust of what I hoped to get across didn't make it. My stance on your points, in order:

1. As long as the game maintains a T rating, there should be no interference with what a character looks like.

Honestly, I'm not a fan, at all, of the "pure color mirror outfits", especially the ones meant to look "beach ready". I'm not a fan that periodically the majority of the player population of First City is "native clad pale Orions". I cringed every time I saw an evening gown during an STF. Not once did I file a complaint, because of the "to each their own" principle. All these looks (well, except the most extreme Native Orion Outfits, but even then that level of coverage is frequently portrayed in bad B-movies) are definitely within the boundaries of the T rating.

2. I'm not sure if the concerns I portrayed were over those with an "unhealthy" obsession over gender, and more recognition of what joejing was saying. For better or worse, society has "preprogrammed" us with certain "stereotypes", that the Development team takes advantage of to encourage "split second identification" of the in-game objects - whether said stereotypes/caricatures are based around the "bigger is badder" or "more gear = more rank" principles, or the "Men look like Bruce Willis / Arnie, Women look like Cindy Crawford / Barbie" concept.

Sadly, however, society tends to identify the androgynous / asexual (ie, doesn't have all the showy bits and a not-disctinctly-curvy) look, especially in a "shorter package" more with childhood than dwarfism (no offense meant to the shorter people) - and when combined "out of context" with your #4, that's where the issues begin.

3. I just thought that "Japanese Androgynous Anime Look" sounded a lot catchier than "borderline asexual without all the 'stereotypical' identification features". As such, anime hate only comes into play when some dude attempts to make a, say, Trowa Barton or Tuxedo Mask (two highly androgynous males from anime that enjoyed significant American airtime and therefore recognition) and someone complains about the cloning (much like some complain about the 50,000th fake imported character from whatever source)... ;)

4. As I said, combine the "quick stereotypical identifications that might lead someone to think 'child' over 'dwarf'" in #2 with bonehead netizens (aka trolls that intentionally will abuse this ability to make that "child") and agenda-pushing public figures who will throw context and reasoned argument out the window to get their way, and suddenly you have the entire reason why we're not given the "Japanese Anime Androgynous look"... :(
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • ygrezygrez Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Since Cryptic has added Intelligence officers (aka Spies) might be simpler to just add a new costume slot that lets you choose a different species/gender like they did in some episodes of the shows, instead of Cryptic having to adjust every customization option to different character models.

Alternatively, could also make it so you choose one of you alts and it uses their name, info and base appearance with customizable uniform when you have that costume selected, and only make it toggleable at a particular NPC. You'd still have your @name, so OOC you'd be easily recognizable as the same person.

+ for players: more customization

+ for cryptic: people more likely to buy c-store outfits from factions other than their main's (which could also lead to more KDF and Romulan outfits being created)
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    You can't even half tell what some colors are sometimes.

+1 this idea, not bad.
    And in CO, men can wear skirts and makeup, and women can wear a suit and tie.
    This. But for some reason, it's more taboo in a game that's based on a utopian future for humanity...
    dareau wrote: »
    As I said - the "simple stuff" of this thread - hairstyles in particular - shouldn't be a problem. It's that more complicated "Japanese Anime Androgyny" that poses many more issues, and while I may respect those who wish to use it for "sane" purposes, the internets is sadly full of people ready to abuse anything they can get their hands on and therefore prevention is the order of the day...
    What issues would that pose now? How exactly could it be "abused"? This is what I don't understand.

And for what it's worth, my characters would definitely not "suffer" from any androgyny regardless. *shrug*
    3. Hate anime?
    5. All of the above?

:(
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

It would be nice to have a colour code field, like the one we have for font colour here, then we can finally make tops, trousers and boots the same colour.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • infammableinfammable Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    More options are better. Non-discrimination is Star Fleet/UFP canon, including gender related cases. Cryptic doesn't seem to prude on it either, considering CO. So, the only consideration here should be feasability of not breaking the game, and licensing issues (again, non-discrimination is canon, so shouldn't be a problem)

Also, making as many clothing/hair styles/etc cross faction would be nice. STO has sooooo much fantastic art, we shouldn't be limiting people's creativity at this point. Maybe rep unlocks? Tailor Reputation System? idk, just spit ballin' ideas. I just know that there is a wealth of untapped potential.
    Because it's the sound that steel shod boots make on the deck plating of a real warship. As opposed [to] the cushy carpeting on the Federation luxury liners.
    Archived post on the origin of the word "Klink"
  • lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Under no circumstances do I support this thread and I have said this more than once. I like how non-liberal and non-politically correct this game has been so far (I am a conservative and homophobic) and I do not want anything I have heard in this thread in the game.

Disregard this thread devs
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    lessley00 wrote: »
    Under no circumstances do I support this thread and I have said this more than once. I like how non-liberal and non-politically correct this game has been so far (I am a conservative and homophobic) and I do not want anything I have heard in this thread in the game.

Disregard this thread devs
    This isn't about being "liberal" or "politically correct" at all. It's about being more fair.