Install Arc
Options

Dilithium nerf, official response

Comments

• Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    darthwoo wrote: »
    This is quite akin to just outright taking out the delayed gratification option out of the marshmallow experiment because the subjects are all becoming wise to the benefits.

While that may be so it is not unwise of the community to give the new guy the benefit of the doubt. If this was indeed a sincere apology then we would like more of that attitude in the future and not alienate it.

Taking the moral high ground and accepting this apology for what it seems to be may be the wise choice for the future. Should it prove false, or deceiving for some reason then we are that much stronger at the next crossroads.

So I, for one, will accept this from the new guy as what it seems to be. This time.
  • Options
    khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I guess there's a silver lining in everything. I fully expect the community for my SWGEMU server to be on the upswing.

Keep it up Cryptic, your doing great.

Heh.....been thinkin' about reviving my account over there. :D
  • Options
    raeatraeat Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I, and people like me, am not magically stealing dil. We EARNED this advertised reward through hours and hours of gameplay. That's what it took to [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]EARN[/COLOR] the rep marks and rep items to cash in - hours upon hours of playing, playing, playing, grinding, grinding, grinding. Cryptic was happy to accept those into their metrics when we were playing/grinding. Now that it is time to provide the promised reward, suddenly now it is time to drop an anvil on us.

**** the players. We already got your hours of playing/grinding. We feel no onus to live up to our agreed upon responsibilities now.

You want us to also play during the event, the answer is very simple. Give us the ability to cash in all our marks at once in a lump sum at the agreed upon rate. Then we will be freed up to play also - and with smiles on our faces. That's the proper way to do it, instead of damning us to hours of cashing in grinding and then at an artificially reduced rate. Just because you want people playing during the dil weekend doesn't mean the first impulse needs to be **** the players.

No matter how much excess unrefined dil we have saved up, there is still the 8k/day maximum for refining. You lose nothing by letting us gain the reward we EARNED through hours and hours of play. This is a ill-conceived decision, ill-advised, and ill-implemented. instead you end up with players ridiculously but understandably unhappy because they've been betrayed who probably won't play anyway because they can't bear to look at the game in the face of the **** they are being forced to swallow.

And when it comes time to think of a reason to keep playing, the dil weekend is no longer there. [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Profoundly stupid[/COLOR] decision making on Craptic's part.
  • Options
    doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I stopped dilithium, now I harvest tylium. And it's amazing in that other game I meet many STO old players.
    Qapla'
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    new or not , he gets what the company has sown . this should have been announced way before the blog went up . when you plan out your time to do this and that , be nice to have all the details of this kind of change . there would have been less of a shock factor from the players .
    to be honest there isnt alot of communication it would seem from the Cryptic offices and the PWE CM's
    like before . changes happen in the game that they dont know about , which shows in there Live Streams .
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    And I'm sick of feeling punished for having the temerity to be efficient with my gameplay and payouts.

Pretty much this.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    kthang wrote: »
    While that may be so it is not unwise of the community to give the new guy the benefit of the doubt. If this was indeed a sincere apology then we would like more of that attitude in the future and not alienate it.

Taking the moral high ground and accepting this apology for what it seems to be may be the wise choice for the future. Should it prove false, or deceiving for some reason then we are that much stronger at the next crossroads.

So I, for one, will accept this from the new guy as what it seems to be. This time.

It wasn't sincere. Look at the language of it.

Please wipe the brown from your nose before typing. I can smell it in your text.

The "new guy" was supposed to be a change. This is "Situation Craptic, all Crapped up."
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    raeat wrote: »
    I, and people like me, am not magically stealing dil. We EARNED this advertised reward through hours and hours of gameplay. That's what it took to [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]EARN[/COLOR] the rep marks and rep items to cash in - hours upon hours of playing, playing, playing, grinding, grinding, grinding. Cryptic was happy to accept those into their metrics when we were playing/grinding. Now that it is time to provide the promised reward, suddenly now it is time to drop an anvil on us.

**** the players. We already got your hours of playing/grinding. We feel no onus to live up to our agreed upon responsibilities now.

You want us to also play during the event, the answer is very simple. Give us the ability to cash in all our marks at once in a lump sum at the agreed upon rate. Then we will be freed up to play also - and with smiles on our faces. That's the proper way to do it, instead of damning us to hours of cashing in grinding and then at an artificially reduced rate. Just because you want people playing during the dil weekend doesn't mean the first impulse needs to be **** the players.

No matter how much excess unrefined dil we have saved up, there is still the 8k/day maximum for refining. You lose nothing by letting us gain the reward we EARNED through hours and hours of play. This is a ill-conceived decision, ill-advised, and ill-implemented. instead you end up with players ridiculously but understandably unhappy because they've been betrayed who probably won't play anyway because they can't bear to look at the game in the face of the **** they are being forced to swallow.

And when it comes time to think of a reason to keep playing, the dil weekend is no longer there. [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Profoundly stupid[/COLOR] decision making on Craptic's part.

were those "hours and hours" during the dil weekend? if not I don't see why the bonus should apply

maybe if you turned in those marks at the time you wouldn't need a way to turn in a lump amount of marks all at once
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    No matter how much excess unrefined dil we have saved up, there is still the 8k/day maximum for refining. You lose nothing by letting us gain the reward we EARNED through hours and hours of play.

A very valid point.
  • Options
    lostyuslostyus Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    szim wrote: »
    Mr. Ricossa just released an official statement concerning the recent changes to the dilithium event. It was posted in the bug forum and I thought people might be interested in reading it.

I don't know the ins and outs of this situation, but if it is how is actually explained in his post then I think he gives quite a good reason to nerf that though it will be frustrating for those who do it. Also I like how he's stated that the increased Dil on patrols etc will be implemented before the end of the month.

Also I think that it is quite the gesture he's made by making it a Dil-week as a way to apologise.

Does this show a new, good side to the new management?
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It wasn't sincere. Look at the language of it.

Please wipe the brown from your nose before typing. I can smell it in your text.

The "new guy" was supposed to be a change. This is "Situation Craptic, all Crapped up."

Brown nose? lol, have you read any of my posts lately. They have been anything but.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am a little bummed but not infuriated or devastated.
    In fact I'm actually quite happy with this occurrence. Grinding patrols will be worth a few Dil, better than nothing so no complaints there.
    I do hold a few marks for the event, but nothing substantial, I tend to turn my marks in as and when I need them so its not the end of the world (for me).
    The fact that a miscommunication occurred and a booboo was officially acknowledged I think is worthy of note. Not only that but an apology for said booboo and an extension to the Dilithium event is not something we see too often and should be applauded.
    Usually a change like this just happens and nothing is said at all, leaving the issue marred in forum flames.
    I see this break from the norm to be far more positive than the negative of losing the marks/rep turn in bonus.
    +1 from me :)
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I work many weekends. I will be working this weekend. While I'll agree, moving a slider and waiting for mark conversion to take place 50 at a time, is something less than fun, turning in the various queue rewards (something I do ALL year round, BTW) was a way I could take advantage of this event, even if I could not be logged in for lengthy periods of time.

Honestly though, even when everything was being included in the Dil weekend, I still wasn't walking away with more than a few days refining built up. So, this and the Rep being dropped hits me a bit harder.

However, the true icing on this particular cake is that trying to play how you would have me play, is still being ruined by relentless lag and bugs.

If there is one sentiment I agree with it's what the hell were you thinking with the timing? There wasn't enough player rage already? This latest "adjustment" couldn't have gone undone for a couple of more days? Are the metrics of what we do being watched that closely at the moment?
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't really feel like participating much in the dilithium week they're offering. This was just icing on a cake that has been baking for far too long with all the bugs and design choices they've been doing lately.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    asrohaasroha Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm a casual player, and I was "sort of" saving up for the event, but this part of the "apology" makes NO sense - "By not offering a bonus on these projects, we are making mark conversion projects valid and valuable all the time, not only during the few Dilithium Weekends we run every year."

So, basically they make certain aspects of the promotional "BONUS" event, the event that only comes around ONCE A YEAR, the same value as they would be OUTSIDE the event? SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF HAVING THE "EVENT" AT ALL? REALLY?

Anyway, since DR hit, I've been logging in only sporadically, but I did splurge on a 10 pack of keys last weekend. Not sure if I'll continue to login after this, but I am sure that I'm not spending another dime on this game.

Keilari D'Stana
    USS Carl Sagan
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    were those "hours and hours" during the dil weekend? if not I don't see why the bonus should apply

maybe if you turned in those marks at the time you wouldn't need a way to turn in a lump amount of marks all at once

Srsly??? Many of us "invested" many "hours and hours" on the assumption of getting rewarded as usually as soon as the Dil Event is there. Many of us simply wouldn't have put so much effort into this if we knew about this reward nerf in the first place. Is that so hard to undertstand??? :confused:

Anyway, dear white knight, have fun eating all that ***** delivered by craptic - u seem to like it.
  • Options
    orionexplosionorionexplosion Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    While I appreciate that there's an official response and apology, it's too late. The damage has been done. You have killed another event, at least for me.

Well done.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    lostyus wrote: »
    I don't know the ins and outs of this situation, but if it is how is actually explained in his post then I think he gives quite a good reason to nerf that though it will be frustrating for those who do it. Also I like how he's stated that the increased Dil on patrols etc will be implemented before the end of the month.

Also I think that it is quite the gesture he's made by making it a Dil-week as a way to apologise.

Does this show a new, good side to the new management?

No. Extending the original function of the dil weekend and making the changes after, with plenty of warning would be a good side. Promises were made - live up to them. We were offered simple apologetics - nothing sincere. There is no apology here and certainly no recompense for their wrongdoing.

The face changes, but the **** policies remain the same.
    And **** the players shall be the whole of the policy.
  • Options
    richardcranium63richardcranium63 Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    <--- Refer to my avatar
    RichardCranium63
    Fed/Vulcan: T'jar Voltek Fleet: Section 31
    Fed/Andorian: Lissan Ek'Noor sh'Aqabaa Fleet: Section 31
    KDF/Cardi: K'Im Qah da Sian Fleet: Klingon Intelligence
    KDF/Reman: R'Chras Jonzor Fleet: Klingon Intelligence
  • Options
    oceansongoceansong Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    it's not an apology, it's further insult to that already given by the removal of the bonus to rep lines.
    cryptic can eat a bag of d*cks if they think i will ever spend real money on this game ever again.
    :mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Srsly??? Many of us "invested" many "hours and hours" on the assumption of getting rewarded as usually as soon as the Dil Event is there. Many of us simply wouldn't have put so much effort into this if we knew about this reward nerf in the first place. Is that so hard to undertstand??? :confused:

Anyway, dear white knight, have fun eating all that ***** delivered by craptic - u seem to like it.

srsly, your willing to spend "hours and hours" farming marks for 750 dil but NOT 500? that one bonus and one bonus alone prompted you farm marks for hours and hours instead of doing something else entirely??? isn't it more likely that you simply let marks accumulate to turn in all at once and now you pissed because now there's no benefit to doing that anymore? I think that ***** you smell might be coming from you
  • Options
    trypwyrtrypwyr Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    First it was the leveling in DR: players didn't do it "the right way". Now we aren't earning our bonus dilithium "the right way".

Yet again, Cryptic decides we are playing their game wrong and they need to correct us.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So i can no longer turn in marks en masse during a dilithium weekend because i didn't earn them during that weekend...

OK...

So will dilithium mining claims be the next target then by your logic?
    I mean I've got loads stored up from months ago, i sure as hell didn't get them during the event! What's to stop me storing all my mining claims up for these events only. Surely that is the exact same thing...hell i can make 10K off each one per day so that's 40K per event x at least 3 alts = 120K dilithium just from those alone!

You really have no idea how stupid this whole thing makes you guys look, in fact not just stupid but down right vindictive towards players just because they are not playing how you want them to!

The whole point of the weekend is surely to get people logged in, be they converting marks into dilithium or out mining on the fleet asteroid. It shouldn't matter what people are doing, even if it costs you a few $$'s in dilithium. The sheer volume of dilithium needed for upgrade, boffs etc vastly outweighs what we can get in 4 days.

It's bad enough you accused players of being exploiters last year, now you target everyone else because we are not doing what you think we should do.

Jesus...i mean i dread to think what will be next to get hit with the nerf hammer.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    srsly, your willing to spend "hours and hours" farming marks for 750 dil but NOT 500? that one bonus and one bonus alone prompted you farm marks for hours and hours instead of doing something else entirely??? isn't it more likely that you simply let marks accumulate to turn in all at once and now you pissed because now there's no benefit to doing that anymore? I think that ***** you smell might be coming from you

There was no indication this was a bad thing till now and people are upset how it was handled because there were no clear signals from previous events where Cryptic was like, "Hey guys, knock that off or we'll nerf marks on dilithium events."
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    nategamersnategamers Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Even still they could have kept the mark one for starter. I could really care less about the processor things since its already at 1k. But 1k for the marks could have helped the STF a bit and maybe get people too at least play them.

I mean who ever idea this was is a huge oversight. This will defiantly kill stf now in a way since now we will no longer get the bonus for turning over marks and processors, on these events and pretty much giving the people who have completed all the Reps a even more of a reason not to play them expect for maybe the ones that give fleet marks that's it.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    nimbull wrote: »
    There was no indication this was a bad thing till now and people are upset how it was handled because there were no clear signals from previous events where Cryptic was like, "Hey guys, knock that off or we'll nerf marks on dilithium events."

I agree, as usual the PR end of this was handled horribly
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,804 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »
    +1 for Stephen Ricossa

Give the guy a chance...at least he is trying...D'angelo would never have done this. Step in teh right direction...small but ok IMO
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Give the guy a chance...at least he is trying...D'angelo would never have done this. Step in teh right direction...small but ok IMO

Well... He did give back the specialization points that he had directed taken away.
  • Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The player base has 4 options. 1. Quit.
    2. Don't reclaim any marks for anything.
    3. flood the market with dil till the price drops to 25
    4. take it and say nothing.

Your pick.