Install Arc
Options

Enough with the signatures.

Comments

• Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    I sense a loooong time coming before we see a post by TacoFang again...

And that's just sad...

yeah I agree...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,121 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    NOT... *Gasp* a Mugato!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Taco is here... He just said what he has to say... He likely won't reply again, but he is reading alright.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    I sense a loooong time coming before we see a post by TacoFang again...

And that's just sad...

Not that we know what happened, but I feel that overall, we had a discussion, that was mostly civil. If you come here and respond to someone, you have to expect people to respond to that.

I don't think Taco could take that so personally ? :confused:
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    No, I didn't say there was no player feedback on the subject at all. Of course there was. As I recall, there were numerous posts from people complaining they didn't have 4 (or however many) friends to invite to get the ship.

I just think this is a case where the financials had more to do with the decision than player feedback.

Which I don't disagree with, necessarily. But it still meshes with Cryptic's position that player feedback is A factor, not THE factor. Clearly, financial gain is going to be A factor as well.

I still challenge anybody to pick a set of patch notes, and I can more than likely point to a part of the patch notes that can be verified as having player feedback factored into it.

Even the patch notes that just say, "Stability updates." is factored on player feedback. Players complained (and still do) about server and client instability quite often and make their voices heard.

That's player feedback.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    preechrsa wrote: »
    Well, we are so abrasive.

... like sandpaper in a hundred MPH sandstorm ...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    "Your joke is on the level of X" because it is. One group that is the butt of the joke does not find it funny. The people telling the joke finds it funny because they are not part of the group that is the butt end of the joke.

What part of that needs clarification?

So your saying every political joke that makes fun of Republicans or Democrats. or Liberals or Conservatives here in Canada... are on the level of racism.

The developers of STO are NOT a racial group. They are a business. Jokes about a business or the people that lead them are not out of bounds. If Cryptic doesn't understand that its simply sad, and honestly funny in itself. Some of the best humour I can think of is funny because the butt of the joke is so completely unaware. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,391 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eltatus wrote: »
    Well, it seems that our metod make some white Knights mad..
    ...white Knights...

<Inigo Montoya>

You use those words so often. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

</Inigo Montoya>
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    qjunior wrote: »
    Not that we know what happened, but I feel that overall, we had a discussion, that was mostly civil. If you come here and respond to someone, you have to expect people to respond to that.

I don't think Taco could take that so personally ? :confused:

It's not very likely he deleted his own posts and removed them from the Dev Tracker...

Methinks something came down from 'On-High' about Dev's posting.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,121 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    I think the whole sig protest has run its course and should probably end now. Taco said that they're offensive, and for the most part he's right. I can understand people feeling like there's no communication, but I hate to compare it to that, but we're about at Westboro level protesting now. Time to cut back a bit guys.
    jonsills wrote:
    <Inigo Montoya>

You use those words so often. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

</Inigo Montoya>

Agreed with you there man. Seems like anyone with a rational counter gets slapped with some lable these days. Even if the counter is actually accurate.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Btw, did taco post disapear too or just from dev tracker?

jonsills wrote: »
    <Inigo Montoya>

</Inigo Montoya>

I know that they seem to hit a nerve on you... dont know why tho..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think the whole sig protest has run its course and should probably end now. Taco said that they're offensive, and for the most part he's right. I can understand people feeling like there's no communication, but I hate to compare it to that, but we're about at Westboro level protesting now. Time to cut back a bit guys.

Don't pull a taco.

You don't get to invalidate what I have to say by comparing me to something terrible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Taco's post is still there. Page 10.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    elsungaelsunga Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am a newcommer to STO and I came here from a game where relationship and communication between community and devs team is nearly perfect. I have to say all these posts are quite sad. As I have been playing game for two weeks only I am far from point to make any comments. But one thing bothers me.

A lot of people are angry to devs. But they are stuck in crossfire imho. Cryptic is corporate company and all the power is in hands of Ferengi management. My bet some of devs would agree with some complains but they have to do what they are allowed by management...
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Don't pull a taco.

You don't get to invalidate what I have to say by comparing me to something terrible.

your snark isn't helping
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Taco made it clear that they are hurtful and accomplishes nothing, nor do they represent my opinion.

Pretty sure Taco and the rest of the devs don't want to hear what some of us (me included) REALLY have to say.

I'm merely expressing my dissatisfaction in a manner that doesn't require censoring or asking the small children to leave the room!

;)

Oh, and the accomplishes nothing bit?

It brought one dev out of the woodwork.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So your saying every political joke that makes fun of Republicans or Democrats. or Liberals or Conservatives here in Canada... are on the level of racism.

The developers of STO are NOT a racial group. They are a business. Jokes about a business or the people that lead them are not out of bounds. If Cryptic doesn't understand that its simply sad, and honestly funny in itself. Some of the best humour I can think of is funny because the butt of the joke is so completely unaware. lol

No. I'm saying that a joke that has one group of people as the butt end of it may not be funny to those people.

It doesn't have to be racial in nature. People make fun of vegans, vegetarians. People make fun of EA games (I know I do). People make fun of short people, tall people. They make fun of people who like sports. They make fun of people who don't like sports.

I can say that the Detroit Lions are a joke in of themselves, and most people who follow the NFL might even agree with me!

That doesn't mean that the football players wearing Detroit Lions jerseys and helmets have to find it funny. They're the ones still playing football for one of the worst teams in NFL history.

They might even call the haters vile for having so many Detroit Lions jokes while they continue to play. But it's still the same kind of joke.

Tacofangs could have used any analogy he wanted and still get the point across. Nerds don't like getting picked on by Jocks. Jocks don't like having their intelligence questioned by Nerds. If there is a group or clique that exists, they are not obligated (nor would they be necessarily wrong) to find it amusing.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The only thing hitting "a nerve", my dear boy, is the debasement of language. The term "white knight" is supposed to mean something - certainly something more significant than "someone who disagrees with me in an open forum".

You misuse the term, and you begin to drain it of all meaning, until finally it's just a sad attempt at insulting someone.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »

Nice. I forgot about those clowns but now that you brought them up. Yeah I can see some of the STO forumgoers (Look. even I'm smart enough not to use blanket wording when talking about a group.) putting something Westboro level to stick it to Cryptic.
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The old R&D system being useless and that the game was too easy (levelling, Elite Queues) was certainly not an uncommon complaint...

I agreed with these complaints, for the most part. But what I'm trying to say is, those are some of the few complaints that were actually addressed somehow. And look what was done.

EXPLORATION:

Complaint: Lackluster, cookie-cutter; First Contact was only interesting the first time or two.

Common suggested solutions: Hook up with Foundry, improve quality from 'kill five things' or 'scan five things', and/or overhaul completely.

Dev solution: Remove entire system and convert exploration cluster doors to DOFF mission gateways (a.k.a. lame facebook game branch access point). So much for Star Trek Online.

CRAFTING:

Main Complaint: Not worth doing; most crafted items aren't worth making aside from the Aegis set - which wasn't so much better than rep gear that it necessarily was worth the effort to make

Common suggested solutions: Allow choosing of modifiers (perhaps as modules that cost Dil?), add more exclusive items, etc.

Dev solution: Un-asked-for full revamp; essentially turned into a time-gated, grindy lottery. To this day, choosing modifiers is still not a possibility. To be fair, the addition of the R&D inventory tab was great.

LEVELING AND DIFFICULTY:

Complaint: Too easy. Even the so-called Elite endgame queued missions would on average be completed nigh-effortlessly even by an unimpressive team of players. Also, not enough to do at endgame besides grind reputation projects for gear.

Common suggested solutions: Give Elite-difficulty mobs different and more interesting powers and moves that take some actual thought to counter; make character leveling require more than just playing through the story missions (Many suggestions for this; not gonna go in-depth).

Dev solution: Make Advanced and Elite queued mission optionals mandatory; buff raw mob damage and HP without any AI piloting or power set improvements. Oh, and make story mission XP rewards not only insufficient to level a character on their own (not a problem) but nearly worthless, and force players to grind repetitive and uninteresting Delta Rising content by requiring massive amounts of XP to level and effectively nerfing everything outside of the Delta sector blocks to uselessness. Way to use all your (excellent) existing assets, Cryptic.

...See my point?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Don't pull a taco.

Did I single you out? I'm talking about the number of sigs out there in general. Its been months. The only thing that has resulted from this sig campaign is a statement that the Devs find it offensive, and a bunch of arguing. And unless it gets toned down, its gonna turn into "We're going to protest EVERYTHING, even if its not directly related to what we're protesting about."

If it keeps up, we might not HAVE sigs period.
    Nice. I forgot about those clowns but now that you brought them up. Yeah I can see some of the STO forumgoers (Look. even I'm smart enough not to use blanket wording when talking about a group.) putting something Westboro level to stick it to Cryptic.

Thank you.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Taco's post is still there. Page 10.

Yup: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21687161&postcount=94

So seems just the dev tracker has problems?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    People make fun of short people, tall people.
    This is actually quite on point. My father, who stood 5' 2", developed a festering dislike of the singer/songwriter Randy Newman after Newman released his song "Short People". Yes, it was clearly intended as a parody aimed at mocking discrimination of almost any sort - but it echoed so many of the hurtful things he'd heard in his youth that he couldn't see any humor in it.

Enough mean-spirited posts about how "incompetent" these "lying" devs are, and I can see where they'd stop finding any humor in those sigs. They dasn't say anything for fear of saying the next thing that gets derisively repeated for weeks on end (as if derisive repetition were anything but abrasive - even my nine-year-old has stopped finding it funny, except when directed at his sister).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Pretty sure Taco and the rest of the devs don't want to hear what some of us (me included) REALLY have to say.

I'm merely expressing my dissatisfaction in a manner that doesn't require censoring or asking the small children to leave the room!

;)

Taco is the one dev that hangs out and shoot the breeze with players (which I don't even think you are anymore). If you are going to really take that as a win you must be really clawing for anything right now. Kind of sad.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yup: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21687161&postcount=94

So seems just the dev tracker has problems?

Yeah, the dev tracker has done this before. I remember when pweadamanteus got here, it not only did not show his posts but simultaneously knocked pwelaughingtrendy off the tracker for no reason.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Tacofangs could have used any analogy he wanted and still get the point across. Nerds don't like getting picked on by Jocks. Jocks don't like having their intelligence questioned by Nerds. If there is a group or clique that exists, they are not obligated (nor would they be necessarily wrong) to find it amusing.

That isn't what he did however.

What he did was compare the joke form of protest to something everyone agrees is dirty.

It was a way to devalue the protest. It is no different from someone pointing at a bunch of protesters and saying... there just a bunch of dirty hippies, or whatever other term you use that you feel will lessen there position.

He attacked the protest rather then the message. In fact he even went so far as to claim he didn't understand what the message even was.

To be clear... I like Taco. I respect that he answers issues on the forums when he has specific Knowledge about the subject. I know he has even fixed issues here and there that where in his sphere of control. I respect that greatly. Perhaps that is partly why his post was so hurtful.

He not only dismissed the protest (by pretending to not "get it") he then tried to depreciate the entire protest through comparison to something extremely distasteful.

I was honestly offended. Not "I'm offended" so as to continue a fight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Taco made it clear that they are hurtful and accomplishes nothing, nor do they represent my opinion.

I've not jumped on the sig bandwagon because if Cryptic doesn't listen to constructive feedback I doubt they'll listen to anything less. I've tried to help Cryptic but they are insistent on taking this path and while part of me can sympathise and try to understand their situation a part of me says they have had this coming. When a growing number of people are critising you it's a sign that you're doing something wrong, trolls or no trolls. Still Cryptic's good at ignoring the constructive stuff so I'm sure they can ignore the negative too and just listen to the positive if any. Or maybe they could monetize the sigs!

The 'very' first ability I tested on tribble failed, took a couple of minutes to find if that. I can only imagine what the fallout will be when this hits holodeck with little feedback taken onboard where players are paying tier3 costs for tier2 abilities. I could dot every i and cross every t giving feedback and will they act on it? About as much chance as me getting a ship from a lockbox. This trainwreck is coming and I'm going to prepare as best I can but there's only so much I can do to minimise the damage. Best bet is to have a boff for each high tier ability and have multiple combos making the new boff system redundant at least until they fix it. But hey at least I can look at pretty new icons!

I've seen enough to know that ranting does nothing only to keep my fingers on the STO community pulse and get advanced notice what Cryptic is going to throw my way I stopped giving feedback and bug reports long ago. If people want to make these sigs to show their negative opinion then as long as they adhere to the rules of a forum and are appropriate then that is the consumer giving feedback and maybe Cryptic should start listening to the community for a change instead of stuffing more of what we don't want. I'll remain with my negative view of Cryptic until they consistently doing something to change that.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2015

;)

Yeah, we are finally getting the devs to talk about the signatures.....MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mvp333 wrote: »
    I
    Complaint: Too easy. Even the so-called Elite endgame queued missions would on average be completed nigh-effortlessly even by an unimpressive team of players. Also, not enough to do at endgame besides grind reputation projects for gear.

Common suggested solutions: Give Elite-difficulty mobs different and more interesting powers and moves that take some actual thought to counter; make character leveling require more than just playing through the story missions (Many suggestions for this; not gonna go in-depth).

Dev solution: Make Advanced and Elite queued mission optionals mandatory; buff raw mob damage and HP without any AI piloting or power set improvements. Oh, and make story mission XP rewards not only not enough to level on their own (not a problem) but nearly worthless, and force players to grind Delta Rising content by requiring massive amounts of XP and effectively nerfing everything outside of the Delta sector blocks. Way to use all your (excellent) existing assets, Cryptic.
    One thing to consider:
    1) Cryptic has done harder enemies befoer, but apparently people complained about the Elachi and the Voth.

2) Contrary to what many people think - without extra hit points, you can't actually make more compelling foes in STO. A Borg Cube is destroyed in less than 10 seconds by a half-way decent Escort. Probably much less. Unless you want every NPC to gain a temporary immunity power, you won't escape that problem without raising hit points.

3) The Vaadwuar actually do have an interesting AI in my opinion. But they didn't really do much about the old NPCs...

But in general - as players we don't actually know what is technically possible, and we don't need to consider stuff that Cryptic needs to consider. For example - why does crafting still cost Dilithium? Because Dilithium is part of the game's monetization, and if it was easily bypassable with Crafting, then the game won't work - it won't generate enough income. Without income, no new features, no new content. Players will never like that stuff requires Dilithium, they will never ask for it to require Dilithium. That will practically never be part of the player feedback. But it will be part of the solutions Cryptic builds, because they have to look at their bottom line, and the share holder value and what not. We just want to play the game.

gulberat wrote: »
    Yeah, the dev tracker has done this before. I remember when pweadamanteus got here, it not only did not show his posts but simultaneously knocked pwelaughingtrendy off the tracker for no reason.
    Someone has trouble editing a list, or the list is limited in size?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
This discussion has been closed.