Install Arc
Options

Priority One Episode 200 | A Pretty Good Show

Comments

• Options
    varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    You think P1 would do that? They suck up to Gecko.

I know.
    At this point, I'm just a delusional trekkie rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
    :(
  • Options
    elijahmreelijahmre Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I love you guys!
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Geko basically went on his entire on air time like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

And the only thing the hosts were saying was "yes" and "great".

That sums things up perfectly!
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    elijahmre wrote: »
    I love you guys!

Three words for the next podcast: Skill Point Nerf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I love you guys!

Grats on 200.

How you maintained your composure after his 'but you played it!!!' remark I have no idea. In reference to you grinding out to 60 because you had to, not because you enjoyed doing it.

Why did you not press him on his comment about advanced queues not having failure conditions?

How can he say the XP patch change was not intended as a nerf at all then a minute later explain critter kills were nerfed because they were over rewarding? That is a contradiction to me.

Does Geko get to give you the list of questions to ask him or is he only allowed to pre-approve from a list you give him?

Could you alteast once tell the emperor he's naked? It might be a good thing for him to know.
  • Options
    stohaydenstohayden Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Loved the 200th show P1. Still the best STO podcast out there.

I am sorry to hear that so many people are not enjoying Delta Rising.

For example, some people think that the amount of XP is inadequate. That's not the case for me. I am at level 56 and am doing the mission about the 'Lost Son'. Perhaps it is because I am a casual player, who does a lot of doffing that I don't have these concerns.

I was distressed about how difficult it was to get R&D materials but at least now the rewards are guaranteed upon success. Now I just have to get better at completing the missions.

Also, please remember that the Devs like Geko are not obliged to talk to the community, so please be sensitive to the fact that they are giving their own time to do this. I love hearing from the STO Devs even if they are almost always obliged to put the best spin on things as possible.

I am here to enjoy the game and I encourage everyone like the P1 team to use constructive dialogue to move the game forward..

LLAP All.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Edited - Removed some needless TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You know... Maybe Geko really DOESN'T know what's going on and he is too easily annoyed interfacing with us to even check.

He said the previous winter ships were being discontinued, right?

And then Smirk posted this tonight:
    As for the older ships, you can still slot the projects for those this year, but be warned, if you have your old project from last year still active and slotted, you may not see the new ship project as an option until after you have either completed your previous ship project, or cancelled it. WARNING: Cancelling your old project with any autographs paid into it will destroy these autographs and not grant them back to you, so if you have say 580 out of 1000 already paid into the project, and you cancel it, you will loose those 580 autographs.

Is it possible Geko is so caught up in siege mentality that he thinks we're lying or exaggerating or attacking him just for sport? Like, his first instinct is to distrust the forums because he's so hung up on players having harassed or threatened him in the past?

Personally, I'd like to think that a prerequisite for management would be that you'd be the kind of person who wouldn't get jaded over rough talk on the forums just because of real life threats or something. But sometimes I've wondered if something like that didn't jade him to a point that we could be pointing out perfectly legitimate game issues or feedback points and he'd dismiss it as a defense mechanism because he was somehow associating us with some crazy who sent him creepy letters or something.

Like, he honestly doesn't believe us. And maybe people around him sugarcoat feedback, so that he says something like, "How's leveling going on your test account?" And they say, "Well, it's certainly longer than it used to be. It's taken several hours to level." And he says, "Get real. It's not ridiculous long, is it?" And his subordinates, to reduce confrontation, say, "I'm probably just imagining it. I've seen worse. People are overreacting."

Like... Maybe he's insulated from arguments with people and he shuts out people who argue with him. But I think good leadership means surrounding yourself with people you can get into shouting matches with and empowering them to do that.

Maybe he doesn't know what's going on because he's preemptively shutting them out? And he just instantly doubts anything people here say just because the tone is rough? Like... He really honestly thinks the game is working a different way than it is. And he just thinks we're exaggerating or being dishonest or engaging in personal attacks. And if anybody is testing internally, he's shutting them down from being fully honest with him, maybe without meaning to?
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stohayden wrote: »
    Loved the 200th show P1. Still the best STO podcast out there.

They are the only one so not really saying much.
    I am sorry to hear that so many people are not enjoying Delta Rising.

For example, some people think that the amount of XP is inadequate. That's not the case for me. I am at level 56 and am doing the mission about the 'Lost Son'. Perhaps it is because I am a casual player, who does a lot of doffing that I don't have these concerns.

Just because you have a sandwich doesn't mean someone else isn't hungry.
    Also, please remember that the Devs like Geko are not obliged to talk to the community, so please be sensitive to the fact that they are giving their own time to do this. I love hearing from the STO Devs even if they are almost always obliged to put the best spin on things as possible.

Nor am I obliged to give them money. Or be sensitive. But I do expect the devs to 'spin' things. I also expect the podcasters to be more aware of the issues and to actually press the devs a bit more about those issues. And you know why?
    I am here to enjoy the game and I encourage everyone like the P1 team to use constructive dialogue to move the game forward..

Because your not the only one.
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I love you guys!

And I am used to like your podcast.
    Sure, I disagreed from time to time, but things have changed dramatically.
    Remember that negative article on some gaming site which came out just before Delta Rising, stating that STO basically is totally irrelevant anyways? I was furious about that, becaue I love this game. I am passionate about this game.

You yourself talked about that on your show, and I totally agreed with you back then.

When I read a negative article now, my first reaction is not anger because someone flames my favorite MMO, it's hope. Yeah, you read that right. Hope that something is going to change when enough people are complaining.
    Because as it is, STO lost its appeal to me. I think it's natural that you want a change when something went in a direction you despise.

And then comes in Mr. Rivera and crushes all my hopes with his talk. I didn't even know whether to cry or laugh when he basically reiterated the iconic "DR is our best expansion" sentence. Sure, he worded it differently, but the message came across, like 10 times.
    They are content with their product.
    All our problems seem to be minor details to the Cryptic Devs.

Now let me tell you... they are not for me, and neither for many other people. Just congratulating and saying "yes, sure" doesn't cut it anymore for you guys.
    I respect you for the quality of your work, and for the free time you take to produce this.
    But if you are calling yourself a "community podcast", please try to make the voices of the community heard.

Geko's ignorance towards my and many others personal stance on all this almost finished me off. I tried to wait for the Winter Event, XP adjustments and the Dyson Battlezone Dilithium "changes" (will they turn out to be a nerf or not?), but as it stands... I don't know if I even make it that far. Logging in on a daily basis becomes more and more... unappealing.

It's not even just what Mr. Rivera says. It's also the way he's wording it, his intonation. He really sounds condescending at times when addressing problems he considers irrelevant, but is forced to talk about them nonetheless (gotta talk about something game-related after all)
    That you did not challenge a single one of his statements baffles me.

He isn't even aware of the EC nerf - and neither are you guys.
    His rambling about critter XP was nothing but a giant load of BS - sorry to say it that bluntly.
    And so was his talk about the level gates and Advanced Queues.
    Force us grinding random patrols so we might enjoy the next mission is their design vision? And you don't even think about telling him that this is a FREAKING BAD IDEA?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't think so eiher.

He talked about the experience. The content is copy of copy.

He talked about patrols is not meant for leveling. It was from day one. He rather us play content.

Question
    What content?

Lasty, the experience again.

Fix the darn buggie piece mail game mechanics that doesn't work well. For example, loadouts.

That's kinda funny considering the fact that a lot of the Delta Rising episodic "content" is nothing more than having you DO sector patrols. And you can't even replay the episodes. I got to level 58 and was finally able to take the next episode and it was another sector patrol mission. I gave up on it at that point. :mad:
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You know... Maybe Geko really DOESN'T know what's going on and he is too easily annoyed interfacing with us to even check.

Is it possible Geko is so caught up in siege mentality that he thinks we're lying or exaggerating or attacking him just for sport? Like, his first instinct is to distrust the forums because he's so hung up on players having harassed or threatened him in the past?

Personally, I'd like to think that a prerequisite for management would be that you'd be the kind of person who wouldn't get jaded over rough talk on the forums just because of real life threats or something. But sometimes I've wondered if something like that didn't jade him to a point that we could be pointing out perfectly legitimate game issues or feedback points and he'd dismiss it as a defense mechanism because he was somehow associating us with some crazy who sent him creepy letters or something.

Like, he honestly doesn't believe us. And maybe people around him sugarcoat feedback, so that he says something like, "How's leveling going on your test account?" And they say, "Well, it's certainly longer than it used to be. It's taken several hours to level." And he says, "Get real. It's not ridiculous long, is it?" And his subordinates, to reduce confrontation, say, "I'm probably just imagining it. I've seen worse. People are overreacting."

Like... Maybe he's insulated from arguments with people and he shuts out people who argue with him. But I think good leadership means surrounding yourself with people you can get into shouting matches with and empowering them to do that.

Maybe he doesn't know what's going on because he's preemptively shutting them out? And he just instantly doubts anything people here say just because the tone is rough? Like... He really honestly thinks the game is working a different way than it is. And he just thinks we're exaggerating or being dishonest or engaging in personal attacks. And if anybody is testing internally, he's shutting them down from being fully honest with him, maybe without meaning to?

I can see your point. I'll edit my post.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    And then comes in Mr. Rivera and crushes all my hopes with his talk. I didn't even know whether to cry or laugh when he basically reiterated the iconic "DR is our best expansion" sentence. Sure, he worded it differently, but the message came across, like 10 times.
    They are content with their product.
    All our problems seem to be minor details to the Cryptic Devs.

The more I think back, the more I'm convinced that he's insulated himself from feedback and that there was some incident that caused him to become hyper-defensive, like somebody tried to dox him or showed up at his house or something. And he's internalized all of that into a siege mentality. I think I can be pretty good at reading this kind of thing and that he has a level of defensiveness that suggests he's had something happen to up his level of tension and defensiveness.

And that as a result of that, he doesn't know what's going on and that he pressures people to agree with him.

So if we say, "X is working a certain way", he immediately distrusts what we're seeing. And if people on his own team approach him, he puts up a defensive wall and maintains it until they tell him what he wants to hear.

In which case, you know, he's probably NOT lying. He's just got a vision of how he thinks things are that he's not receptive to anyone countering. His reality is real to him.
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The more I think back, the more I'm convinced that he's insulated himself from feedback and that there was some incident that caused him to become hyper-defensive, like somebody tried to dox him or showed up at his house or something. And he's internalized all of that into a siege mentality. I think I can be pretty good at reading this kind of thing and that he has a level of defensiveness that suggests he's had something happen to up his level of tension and defensiveness.

And that as a result of that, he doesn't know what's going on and that he pressures people to agree with him.

So if we say, "X is working a certain way", he immediately distrusts what we're seeing. And if people on his own team approach him, he puts up a defensive wall and maintains it until they tell him what he wants to hear.

In which case, you know, he's probably NOT lying. He's just got a vision of how he thinks things are that he's not receptive to anyone countering. His reality is real to him.

Don't want to play therapist, but I, too, don't even think Geko is lying anymore.
    Not after that podcast.
    I fear these really are his impressions of reality... which is why my hopes are on an alltime low right now.

Taco just explained a few days back that the "DR is our best expansion" nonsense was a child of the release enthusiasm. Cashing in on preorder stuff and Day 1 sales etc.

Geko/Rivera did nothing but enforce the stance that DR is indeed their best work so far.
    If this is Cryptic's best, this game is moving in a direction in which I can not follow.

I am afraid of that.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014

^^ That was a very well-thought-out post!

I don't think a man in his position should be doing that, though. But I'll leave it at that, because I don't want to detract from what you wrote here.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Taco just explained a few days back that the "DR is our best expansion" nonsense was a child of the release enthusiasm. Cashing in on preorder stuff and Day 1 sales etc.
    Had to go find that for myself -- link
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Had to go find that for myself -- link

Interesting, that he knew back then ... but doesn't know 6 weeks later ... did Sales turn Top Secret, or something within this time period ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    congrats on 200. don't worry to much about everyone calling you suckups, if you were as hostile to the devs as the rest of us, there would be no interviews. you're taking one for the team!

interesting version of history geko sort of outlined, here's what actually has happened.

at launch, the XP to advance these mere 10 levels was quite high compared to previous leveling. point of least resistance was immediately found in tau dewa, and cryptic just about had a stroke over it. first they shut down the sector, then they STOLE people's levels, whether they got them from tau dewa or nearly as easy to get alternatives. at least they had the decency to return the levels soon after.

what we got next was the claim that there was a 'bug' with how much XP you get and how much XP you got from kills, problem is once the 'bug' got 'fixed', our ability to earn XP was nerfed by about 70%. suddenly this XP calculation thats been with us since game launch was a bug, not no longer convenient to their nefarious scheme to make us run the path of least resistance patrol 1000 times before we can complete the specialization tree.

then they recalculated the XP table, under the guise of some bug were you gain less at certain levels, but advanced levels at the same speed regardless. so they made that all level out, but that raised the actual pool of XP needed to earn exponentially, but claimed that it wouldn't change anything. oh sure, that is if you don't notice that doffing for XP just got marginalized into nothing, older mission's XP reward is now significantly less useful, and XP boosters are about 10 times the joke they were before. but other than that, no difference! nothing was nerfed! but that, but otherwise nothing!

since then they keep inching the XP gain up, all along stating this is what we intended all along, it was just a bug! over and over again. this is just ego at this point, they could score points over this wile they raise XP rewards by saying we listened to your feedback and feel your pain, but instead they stick to the we were right all along, and there just keeps being these bugs causing incorrect XP gain!

and now we should be getting significantly more xp for patrols next patch, them bugs am i right! oh but XP from kills should always be tiny, conveniently for IP reasons etc. not because when you team, you exponentially increase the number of npcs you face, us gaining XP has to be marginalized at every turn of course. i guess we will see after the patch, it might even be half way there to an acceptable time/xp ratio. hope there's plenty more bugs to find, cause it will still only be half way to reasonable.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    At the risk of being chased by people with pitchforks and torches now, after having listened to the entire podcast now, um... I don't think Geko really sounded all that unreasonable. There, I said it, LOL.

I think he's still downplaying the upgrade cost a bit; but, honestly, I found him honestly quite rational today.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    At the risk of being chased by people with pitchforks and torches now, after having listened to the entire podcast now, um... I don't think Geko really sounded all that unreasonable. There, I said it, LOL.

I think he's still downplaying the upgrade cost a bit; but, honestly, I found him honestly quite rational today.

yes! we will now chase you with pitchforks and yell at you and hunt you to the ends of the earth and set you on fire d%&$ it!!!! lol just kidding

*giggles*
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    airborne2506airborne2506 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Happy 200th P1 team! I am proud to call you Fleet mates and my friends, I know how much time, energy you guy's & gal's put in each week to make the show and I just want to say Thank You for all your hard work. Plus you put up with me on TS ;)

Hears to 200 more P1 episodes,

Shawn "Airborne" Williams
  • Options
    brantregarebrantregare Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    gonna listen tomorrow. I need a few laughs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Happy 200th Episode, Guys.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have not had a chance to listen to this week's episode yet, but Congrats on 200! I look forward to listening every week, and in fact, had the opportunity (long drive, that is) this weekend to re-listen to episodes 195-199, which brings me to my comment:

In the interview with Christine Kestrel Thompson and Kate Bankson (Ep 197), there was a question about writing content for the Voyager Actors. They started talking about writing content for someone to be featured in the Anniversary Episode... Talk about teasers!!! Any thoughts on who they are bringing in? Maybe with all the speculation about Shatner tweeting "I'm Back!" it'll turn out that it isn't about JJ Trek 3, but about STO? Or has JJ Trek been confirmed elsewhere? If I'm right, can we say Shatner pulled a "Garret Wong" since he tweeted a STO appearance Spoiler?

Again, looking forward to listening to Ep 200 (already have it downloaded!), but reading some of the comments in this thread, I must admit I'm a little afraid of what I'm going to hear.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    bergins wrote: »
    Or has JJ Trek been confirmed elsewhere?

In theory JJ.trek was confirmed in TNG S7: Ep:11: "Parallels" lol

I forgot to mention. http://youtu.be/1W0_DspT_Xw
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Who are you and what have you done with meimei??

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You're getting almost an hour-long interview with the lead designer of a game who made some pretty bad design decisions in the last few months, who seems to be seing an exodus away from the game, a game, which saw it's leadership almost completely alienate itself from it's playerbase/customers, and you just bascially let him run a mixture of the "Wochenschau" and a home shopping channel?

Think baout taking a bit more risk, ask some uncomfortable questions and do a bit of follow-ups, please.
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    At the risk of being chased by people with pitchforks and torches now

Nothing so crude. I have a new invention just for these forums, I call it the torchfork. I've take the tines of your standard pitchfork, and replaced them with sharpened, burning torches. Quite the time saver.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    hravik wrote: »
    Nothing so crude. I have a new invention just for these forums, I call it the torchfork. I've take the tines of your standard pitchfork, and replaced them with sharpened, burning torches. Quite the time saver.

good grief now why didn't i think of that? wait, wait!

*begins to tinker*

YES!!!! flame thrower pitchfork Trident! muahahaha! lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    WOW, geko is talking aout the stf dilithium nerv (from over a year ago) and the new dilithium in more missions in 1 go, we always complain we get more now... WOW