What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Priority One Episode 200 | A Pretty Good Show

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I apologize that I only got to around 106 into the podcast before I just closed it and deleted it. I had no idea what game Geko was talking about. I had no idea what players he was talking about. The only person that probably had less of an idea what Geko was talking about was Geko himself. Normally I try to listen through the whole thing, well - I skip ahead to the interview because I don't care about any of the other bits, no offense - they're just not my thing. I just couldn't take it anymore...it was like he was talking about some episodic single player game rather than a MMO. I was doing fine and then that last 5 minutes or so that I listened to, I knew I had to stop or I would have joined the Trolldiers of the Apocalypse with their nonsensical ramblings...because the ol' brain would have just snapped and I would have gone off the deep end if I had listened to more. As is, it's probably going to take a week or two before I stop walking around with a WTF look on my face...
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    good grief now why didn't i think of that? wait, wait!

*begins to tinker*

YES!!!! flame thrower pitchfork Trident! muahahaha! lol

Who know Delta Rising would include a Combo Weapons mechanic? I thought Capcom had that on lockdown...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    elijahmre wrote: »
    I love you guys!
    We love you too! Keep up the good work and ignore the entitled babbies. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Biggest case of denial I have ever witnessed in this game, but don't worry because.......(glances at sig)
    Okay, here's the bottom line. If everything is as terrible as some say it is, then let the game die. If it's not that bad, the game will continue. But if you actually care about the game and think there is something objectively wrong with the it, putting sarcastic BS in your sig will not help anything.

If you wanna help, make constructive posts. No, I don't mean "make constructive posts, THEN post sarcastic BS when you don't get what you want", you need to ONLY make constructive posts. The only thing sarcasm like that accomplishes is it makes you look bad to the people that you want seeing it. That's all it does.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Okay, here's the bottom line. If everything is as terrible as some say it is, then let the game die. If it's not that bad, the game will continue. But if you actually care about the game and think there is something objectively wrong with the it, putting sarcastic BS in your sig will not help anything.

If you wanna help, make constructive posts. No, I don't mean "make constructive posts, THEN post sarcastic BS when you don't get what you want", you need to ONLY make constructive posts. The only thing sarcasm like that accomplishes is it makes you look bad to the people that you want seeing it. That's all it does.

I liked @orangeitis post very much and I agree with it to 100%. The signature is also well done in light of recent events.

You know, I’m very disappointed with the current state of the game on a lot of fronts. Knowing that many in the community feel the same way helps me to see that the game is still appreciated and supported not only by me but also by a lot of concerned players.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I honestly have a desire to be constructive but it's very difficult when the lead dev claims basic facts of the game are different than what players here are saying. We're not even talking about different ideas of what the game should be. What we have are not conflicting opinions but conflicting facts on how long it takes to level relative to the pre-21st patch state of the game and whether enough content exists to do so without repeating patrols, which he seems to be saying there is.

It's like if people came here saying that Beam Fire at Will is overpowered and needs to be nerfed and his response was that there is no ability called Beam Fire at Will and there are no bridge officer abilities that affect beam attacks in the game, so he has no idea what we're talking about.

Or if someone complained about Tier 6 vs. T5U balance and he claimed that there are no Tier 6 ships in the game.

In order for a constructive dialogue to occur, there has to be some agreement on what the facts are.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    In order for a constructive dialogue to occur, there has to be some agreement on what the facts are.

Hell, it would be progress if the disagreement over the facts was anywhere close, eh?

This is an orange. No, it is an apple.
    This is an orange. No, it is a cake.
    This is an orange. No, it is a steak.
    This is an orange. No, it is a shoe.
    This is an orange. No, it is a flowerpot.
    This is an orange. No, it is a cloud.

Maybe if we can get back to at least the orange is a steak thing - there could be more constructive dialogue.
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Wouldn't be an issue if there was any dialogue with the dev's that could change the direction...

As it stands we get a monologue of a post from D'Angelo or Geko, little to no further reading on the responses and that results in the current situation. I'd be happy to sit down and have a good discussion with them whether in person on over Skype/Teamspeak or any other direct communication medium. I'm sure there are a few others that would be happy to as well.

However I'm not entirely sure that's what they want.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have never really been a fan of this show I gotta be honest. These people just don't represent the community I know at all. Way to many "That's AWSOME Mr. Devs" going on. I mean I get you have to be nice if your going to have people from Cryptic come on your show. Seriously though if your going to kiss that much you should be getting paid at least directly by them.

As for Mr Dev in this one...

"Delta Rising I think was our Biggest Revenue DAY ever!" Wohooo Fantastic glad to hear it.

"Delta Rising is at this point MORE successful then legacy of Romulus.... in the amount of money people have spent." Again Wohoo Artistic goals met, now move on to NeverWinter work.

Of course there a company and I want them to make money. I want them to have a plan to make money... focused development turns out product. I don't think anyone has issues with that.

And I SWEAR I just heard "Granted there where some exploits" Again... second time now that I have heard a high ranking employee of Cryptic call me an exploiter. So I will say I have now /uninstalled. STO. It shall never return. There it is.

Good luck in the future Cryptic. I hope your next expansion also brings you a single most profitable day to get jazzed about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I honestly have a desire to be constructive but it's very difficult when the lead dev claims basic facts of the game are different than what players here are saying. We're not even talking about different ideas of what the game should be. What we have are not conflicting opinions but conflicting facts on how long it takes to level relative to the pre-21st patch state of the game and whether enough content exists to do so without repeating patrols, which he seems to be saying there is.
    Yes, there are conflicting facts. Even within the dev team. Geko even claimed that we'll not be able to get the Breen ships from the past two years from the winter event, when Q's blog post blatantly stated otherwise. That means that, at least to some extent, Geko and the other higher-ups don't know what's specifically being done by the dev teams themselves. Hell, Geko even admitted to the two employees directly under him do all the day-to-day management of development, rather than he.

But how is that a reason not to give feedback? If anything, it's even more of a reason to give feedback. Geko? He has a vision of what STO should be. That vision doesn't match what is in-game right now. Even if we don't agree to his vision(and don't say I do completely; My sig tells you otherwise =p), we should give them feedback on not only how the state of the game is NOW, but give them ideas on how to better improve it.
    I have never really been a fan of this show I gotta be honest. These people just don't represent the community I know at all. Way to many "That's AWSOME Mr. Devs" going on. I mean I get you have to be nice if your going to have people from Cryptic come on your show. Seriously though if your going to kiss that much you should be getting paid at least directly by them.
    As someone that knows those guys well enough, their praises are sincere, I can assure you.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    orangetits wrote: »
    As someone that knows those guys well enough, their praises are sincere, I can assure you.

Excellent, so they are a bunch of fanboys/girls who are heavily biased towards Cryptic's point of view. Good enough reason to avoid them.

Having said that you are also heavily biased towards Cryptic being one of the main obvious white knights around here.

Rivera and D'Angelo's inability to apologise or even consider they made serious mistakes in release is part of the problem this "little storm" hasn't blown over yet. Most tea cups empty in a few days maybe a couple of weeks. We are now December, there's been no apology for calling the players exploiters (most of whom weren't). There's been more and more nerf's to the players ability to play together (anyone tried running as a group through a patrol recently...), more nerf's to XP and Dil gain.

The only additional thing released in a positive way was the mission which I haven't even gotten around to looking at yet so can't comment on it's quality. I probably would have looked at it had the Upgrade, R&D and other systems been adjusted to be more in line with a playable game than a money TRIBBLE grindathon.

I sound angry in this post and many others, because I am angry. The game was something that was light and enjoyable before DR. The Double XP event before DR even allowed people to get to Lvl 50 in literally 1 day without doing a single story mission. So to then reduce leveling speeds by levels I can't be bothered to even calculate any more (too many ridiculous nerf's since DR release) it's gotten to the breaking point for a lot of players.

If the dev's would be ok with having a civilised talk and be open to ideas I'd be willing to do the same, until then frustrated at the current direction I shall remain.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Who are you and what have you done with meimei??

Hehe. Well, I simply felt there was less BS this time. He openly said he wants us to buy Zen for the Dilithium, and was frank, for the first time, about deliberately wanting progression to be slow (out of fear we're leaving). And he was upfront about PWE simply setting the money-making goals they just have to follow (no real surprise there).

Like I said, he downplayed the cost of upgrading. Especially since he kinda keeps talking about dropped Mk XIII weps and something, whereas the real pinch lies with our high-end Rep gear, of course. But he was right, of course, in saying upgrade tech prices should significantly drop, once more ppl start reaching lv 15 in their R&D.

As someone who has lost millilions of Dilithium on the upgrade system already, and close to a billion in EC, I am, of course, still not happy with the man. And he killed my alt too. But at least I felt they were more forthcoming with the truth than usual. And the truth, to me, always makes things more palatable than just total BS.

Oh, the calling us exploiters again, that wasn't very nice. I thought we were past that by now?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Apparently Geko isn't passed it, he's still fuming that people managed to "exploit" his perfect design with a bug reported to them weeks before on tribble...

I would say more, but I'd probably descend into being less than civil so I'll leave it at that.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There's only so much time that can go by before you realize you got married next to a couple of star trek props.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    Having said that you are also heavily biased towards Cryptic being one of the main obvious white knights around here.
    I would appreciate it if you wouldn't assume that kind of thing about me, nor call me such hostile names. I have no bias at all. I want to only believe true things, and I want to disbelieve false things, and I want to have as open of a mind as possible. If you disagree with me for good reason, please try to convince me, rather than antagonize me. I'd much rather be your ally than be implied to have any conviction to my position.

Thank you. =)
    Oh, the calling us exploiters again, that wasn't very nice. I thought we were past that by now?!
    You didn't exploit anything, right? If you didn't, he wasn't talking about you.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You didn't exploit anything, right? If you didn't, he wasn't talking about you.

Does it really matter who he was talking about specifically? Or, put differently, can I only be upet if I think it affects me?!

Far as I'm concerened, nobody exploited. And he admitted himself he keeps being surprised at how good a very small percentage is at understanding the game mechanics. He should thus have extended his own thought to realize nobody was really exploiting anything.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Does it really matter who he was talking about specifically? Or, put differently, can I only be upet if I think it affects me?!
    Yes, it does matter who he's talking about. If you did no exploiting, he's not talking about you. Simple as that.
    Far as I'm concerened, nobody exploited. And he admitted himself he keeps being surprised at how good a very small percentage is at understanding the game mechanics. He should thus have extended his own thought to realize nobody was really exploiting anything.
    We're not the ones that get to decide what's an exploit and what isn't. Those that run the game do.
  • Options
    humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ...and was frank, for the first time, about deliberately wanting progression to be slow (out of fear we're leaving)...

Does anyone, other than me, think that they have this 100% backwards?

I have 13 alts (all in different ships), I want to play (and level) all of them!

Not even being able to level one character, at a rate I consider reasonable, completely puts me off playing at all!

And the thought of getting a new shiny ship for any alt other than my 'main' is now totally ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Who was he talking to then? Oh I know, he was talking to people that were playing his game, people that were trying to get past the wall of Argalas on as many toons as possible by using the mechanics in HIS game. And what did they do when they found out, they stole the spec points of them and off others that hadn't been doing what they had been accused of doing, oh and then gave them back when they had second thoughts.
    He was talking to whom the people running STO is defining as exploiters.
    How you can defend this kind of idiocy is beyond me
    I apologize if I'm not making my position clear enough. People running games deciding the rules of said games isn't idiocy though. Unless you were talking about something else, correct me if I'm wrong. :o
    unless you are working for them of course
    So you'd ignore the possibility that you in fact could be wrong? Really? You think it's more likely a conspiracy than admit to having a flawed argument? REALLY?!?
    which figures as you make about as much sense as the King Lizard anyway. Sorry if I come across as aggressive, it's really not my character but this game has pissed me off big time recently and for people to defend it blindly when it's us whiners that are trying to improve it for all is just a joke.
    I understand that you're pissed off, but we shouldn't be fighting one another. It's not like I want you or anyone to have a bad time in this game. It's also not like I don't want to be convinced that your position is correct. I'm just convinced of my current position.

But please understand that, even though I recognize Geko's authority here, I do want everything to be fair to all of us.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Congratulations on the 200th episode !

Since anniversaries are a big thing for many a podcaster out there , I shall try to refrain from saying things that might ruin the festivities .
    (note : I might have failed in that attempt :o)

The episode was good all in all , and the little skit at the beginning was a pleasant surprise .

I enjoyed most of the guests (with the exception of the most polarizing one) , and since I've noted that others have written about their displeasures (some of which I share), I'll just say that I did not enjoy being told once again that the reshuffling of the Dil awards (and the nerfing of the Borg STF Dil awards) was being done with to "encourage" the players to play other content .

I play STO in my off work hours , and in that time , I WILL play it as I want to , and this petty meddling in my play time has NOT encouraged me to change my play style , but it did enforce my lack of respect for Cryptic , as their actions continue to show a lack of respect toward my choices in game .

RE: Geko's Pro Tip: When you look at an item in the upgrade system and the item converts into the new system, there is also a little black color burn in the bottom-right corner of the item's icon that also shows that the item is now part of the new dynamic item system. ;) Also I totally loved hearing about the guts of the engine like that. Modular stuff makes me excited. :P

I wonder how excited are you by the idea that :

A) the kit upgrade is Geko's pet project .

B) the following project was the R&D project , yet the kit project was not designed with the "dynamic" system in mind , thus becoming non-upgradable .
    Two systems , produced one after the other within the same year , and they are not designed to "talk" to each other .

You do know that in the programming world it takes a special kind of incompetence to achieve that kind of non modular programming clusterf##k , right ?
    Because these systems projects ARE outlined to be produced on Geko's whiteboard , and that board does show that A will follow B ... , and it does not take a leap of unimaginable fortitude to know that the Kit system will need to be upgraded as well through R&D .

what we got next was the claim that there was a 'bug' with how much XP you get and how much XP you got from kills, problem is once the 'bug' got 'fixed', our ability to earn XP was nerfed by about 70%.

Since DR I definitely do feel 'fixed...' -- and yes , I do mean that in a veterinarian sense .
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yes, it does matter who he's talking about. If you did no exploiting, he's not talking about you. Simple as that.

We're not the ones that get to decide what's an exploit and what isn't. Those that run the game do.
    Actually we are quite well equipped to decide what an exploit is. If the dev's make a mistake and blame the playerbase for it, that's not an exploit that's an attempt to save face in front of their boss.

A good highlight of an exploit is the recent Counter-Strike tournament. One team used a map exploit to beat the other team. That's an exploit where you can see the enemy through a broken texture and use it to cheat.

Playing missions as they have been played since they were added into the game, using groups which resulted in leveling that was a little faster than expected but not that dissimilar from the 2x XP event the weeks prior that's not an exploit. That's a TRIBBLE up from the Dev's. WoW did something very similar with the release of Warlords of Draenor. They issued a formal apology and gave the players all 5 days of free game time as well as assisting them with any issues they had during the problem period.

Notice the difference...
    Chris Robert's on SC:
  • Options
    solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014

We love you too! Keep up the good work and ignore the entitled babbies. :D

See the contradiction?

Entitled babbies?

Lol, is the leadership of the CDF up this month? You fanbase is dwindling big time so you do have a shot at it.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    Actually we are quite well equipped to decide what an exploit is. If the dev's make a mistake and blame the playerbase for it, that's not an exploit that's an attempt to save face in front of their boss.

A good highlight of an exploit is the recent Counter-Strike tournament. One team used a map exploit to beat the other team. That's an exploit where you can see the enemy through a broken texture and use it to cheat.

Playing missions as they have been played since they were added into the game, using groups which resulted in leveling that was a little faster than expected but not that dissimilar from the 2x XP event the weeks prior that's not an exploit. That's a TRIBBLE up from the Dev's. WoW did something very similar with the release of Warlords of Draenor. They issued a formal apology and gave the players all 5 days of free game time as well as assisting them with any issues they had during the problem period.

Notice the difference...
    You can choose to assume that or not. It doesn't change the fact that even if the people running the game "made a mistake", they can still make anything they want an exploit.
    What authority? Is he your boss, is he mine? No, he's our supplier, we are his customers, if anyone has authority it's us, and when we are pissed off we are not going to spend our money so he is no longer our supplier and eventually he will be nobody's supplier.

He has authority only over the people that work for him, not over us and not over what we say on this forum. We tell it like it is, some people will accept anything given to them, others will not. It's those that are not prepared to lie down and get walked over that will ultimately decide the fate of this game much as has been demonstrated in real life.

I'm really past the point of giving a flying toss any more, and that is what should be ringing big alarm bells at Cryptic, they can choose to sort it out and come on here, state what they got wrong, how they are going to correct it, or they can continue to ignore our complaints and think everything is awesome, it's their choice, their game and their job, but it's my money and they aren't getting any more.
    He has authority over the game. And he's not "supplying" anything, STO is completely free-to-play. They owe us nothing. It's spelled right out to us in the terms of service.
    solomace wrote: »
    See the contradiction?

Entitled babbies?

Lol, is the leadership of the CDF up this month? You fanbase is dwindling big time so you do have a shot at it.
    Do you consider yourself an entitled babby? If you don't, why are you assuming that I would be?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Of course he is, jeez:

1. To make available for use; provide.
    2. To furnish or equip with: supplied sheets for every bed.
    3. To fill sufficiently; satisfy: supply a need.

It matters not whether we pay for it, they are supplying a service, they monetize that in different ways. If they are not supplying anything and no money is ever traded then how is the game funded and can I have back the thousands I've paid over the years. Be pedantic if you like, but try and make sense when you do it.
    My bad, thanks for the correction. =)