What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Priority One Episode 200 | A Pretty Good Show

Comments

• Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thanks ... i finally got my enjoyment out of DR ... ;)

PS : Just played it simultaneously with : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y -> AWESOME

http://youtu.be/1W0_DspT_Xw
    wow, i just tried that too, that is funny lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Huh? Where did he mention you specifically? He just said that there have been some exploits. Which, in STO (or any game for that matter), is like saying "The sky is blue".

Overreact much? Being a little dramaqueeny?

Technically, everyone who ran Japori exploited because the Tau Dewa Patrols did not scale with player level, making it much easier to complete them in quick succession.
    As i said, I'm guilty as well, even though i just soloed the map and only a few at a time.
    Granted, it wasn't THE exploit that everyone was talking about back then but, by definition, it was an exploit in every sense of the word.

I ran tau a few times... I ran argala A LOT more. I did it on 4 toons. I teamed with my friends when I did it. We where all the same level with in a few. We did nothing different then we have done leveling alts for the past 4 years. A few of the friends I was teamed with where on tribble testing delta and even made a point of posting the XP earn rates for teams and even pointed out that if you helped a lower leveled friend you gained more XP then if they where on level.

Seeing as the game has worked that way for 4 years.... and no dev changed it after it was pointed out on tribble... or even said anything like. "Yes this is a known bug"... Why would we assume it wasn't 100% intentional. IMO getting more XP for teaming seems like a perfectly good way for a MMO developer to encourage people to team up.... Giving a bit more XP for someone teaming with a lower level, matching them and helping them progress in the game also in my mind seems like something a good dev would setup on purpose.

Bottom line Cryptic pulled points from 2 of my toons... and Publicly called me a cheater.

Then they realized they where morons and said woops sorry.

Now I realize they only did that because they are incompetent. The obviously went back on there finger slapping cause they pulled points from other people that didn't team and run any content with others at all. I am still an exploiter to them clearly.... cause I just heard Mr. R say so.

Honestly I'm glad I heard him say it and I am glad I know fully understand what I was suspecting.

So does anyone care that I have uninstalled is that over dramatic. Ya likely don't really care though I have had to delete 3 or 4 lines have typed here so far as to avoid calling anyone I shouldn't names that shouldn't be used in polite company. Anyway my autopilot just shut off time to go sell some salvage I snuck out of an eve battle. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That is depressing as heck.

What it means is that his metrics are PWE goal driven and he isn't weighting that against customer value chain-derived metrics.

In the average publicly traded business, you have shareholder interest sometimes pitted against customer interests.

In a good business, you have to be prepared to pushback against shareholder interests for the customer by analyzing things for the benefit of all stakeholders, from the janitor to the player to the shareholder.

In a bad business, job 1 (and 2 and 3) is to drive profits and create shareholder value.

Shareholders and current including possible future investors for the most part look at tomorrow, what is PWE going to do for me in the future should I invest in it that will have this company grow and its market shares increase. PWE response is the mobile game market. In fact, most eyes are on what PWE is going to have as an impact with the mobile game market, and a good chunk of their expected growth rate(forget what they expect in Q4) is pretty aggressive but it's because mainly of the mobile market.

The PC market as a whole is on a decline, so, something that they probably expect and plan on occurring, which, in turn, makes things even worse for STO.

This could be a realistic example, but lets just call it an example; STO number are bad in terms of revenue and game population because of the recent changes the devs made are very unfavorable for their consumers. PWE would probably just dismiss it and say it's fine due to the PC market conditions, and tell them to carry on. They probably wouldn't even think it's because of the game itself or what the devs have done.

As you described what a good business model does, this happens not often enough, especially in the video game industry.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Now I realize they only did that because they are incompetent.

i think everyone who wanted answers got them already from their posts/casts and nerfs, most of us know what we are looking at now.
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    In a good business, you have to be prepared to pushback against shareholder interests for the customer by analyzing things for the benefit of all stakeholders, from the janitor to the player to the shareholder.

Every time he talked about Delta being a great expansion and even better then Rom it was sickening.

His first line was...

"Delta rising I think was our biggest revenue day ever"
    He then went on to say
    "Delta Rising is at this point more successful then legacy of Romulus, not in number of new players brought in but in time people have spent in game and in the amount of money people have spent."

It is clear what information they give weight. As important as it is to keep track of the money you are making. I would say for a product that by his own admission isn't going to be attracting new players, it should be pretty important to ensure the old ones don't walk out the door.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    CDF reinforcements have arrived.

:D

This is your last stand, guys. Make it count.

If the situation is dire, I can just switch teams.

Wanna talk about M:WO and see how I do as a hater? :p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    it's easy you just blitz the net with "reviews" lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    PWRD is technically a stuck and/or dead stock.

I dumped a good chunk of mine today. I'll hold a little... ya never know they might come up with a killer phone app in china yet and I'll kick myself if I liquidate it all... besides there already down almost 6% today. ;) lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    After the recent Q32014 report was release, PWRD's stock dropped below the 17 point marker.

PWRD is technically a stuck and/or dead stock.

Looks like the investors have put the nerf hammer on the PWE stock. Guess it was overpowered....
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thank you. "Dead" may be overstating it but I've been agreeing with much of your analysis.

The one addition I would have is that "R&D division" is typically what PWE calls its development studios. So Cryptic may not be wholly owned anymore.

I've had people who think this is nuts but we know that they downgraded from R&D divisions from wholly owned to "majority controlled" with the remaining shares from the partial divestments going to execs in those R&D divisions. We know they did this with 5 R&D divisions but not which 5.

Based on the reports I've seen, it would make sense for Cryptic and Runic to be 2 of those 5. (The big thing I could see against Cryptic being one would be that Neverwinter revenue but but what difference does it make if PWE recognizes revenue on their end when ZEN is bought?)

Link:: Perfect World Co. Ltd.

Ouch! 16.42 points.

PerfectWorld also dropped partial ownership of another company; however, I currently don't know the reasons for such an action.

We will have to see how this plays out: Perfect World: This Chinese Gaming Company Is Playing With Smart Strategies
    - Perfect World's strategy of focusing on 3D games, deploying expansion packs, and regularly rolling out new games will help it tap the online gaming market's growth.
    - Perfect World's partnership with Microsoft to launch Neverwinter on the Xbox One in China will enable it to tap a new genre.
    - Perfect World's expansion of its gaming network across the globe and investments in research and development to improve the pipeline are good moves.
    - A cheap valuation, impressive earnings growth forecast, and a robust dividend are some more positives to consider Perfect World.

I personally think Cryptic will impose an even longer grind. If I am going to play a game for a longer time period, I would rather move onto a progressive story-driven experience. I am also playing "Dragon Age: Inquisition". I am thinking about jumping into buying a few months of "Star Wars: The Old Republic". I can always move in and out of its Free2Play system. I don't have to worry about commitments.

When story progression is tied to level progression, the in-between grinding experience seems to remain balanced. Your character also has goals and a destiny. (SW:TOR)

When level progression is solely tied to a grinding system, the overall experience seems long, daunting, and pointless. Your character does not have any significant goal or destiny. (ST:O)
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    Looks like the investors have put the nerf hammer on the PWE stock. Guess it was overpowered....

From a few days after the launch of DR up to a point about 2 weeks ago, Investor relations have been tight lipped concerning fielding questions and queries from current share holders. The replies they have given, gave the impression that they either were genuinely unaware of the issues players were raising or they didn't want to face up to them.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I am thinking about jumping into buying a few months of "Star Wars: The Old Republic". I can always move in and out of its Free 2 Play system. I don't have to worry about commitments.

Most F2P games seem to put the "grind" at the end, when you really want the cool gear and what not, but not for the majority of the story. So jumping F2P games regularly may be a good way to avoid the brunt of grinding.

I don't really like playing TOR all that much - but I want to see the story. (To bad Delta Rising and Mirror Invasion and the Class Story Levelling Event collided as much as the did.)
    In STO I enjoy both gameplay and story (but I think TOR's writing is better mostly, at least for some class stories).

Maybe I'll have to find another F2P game. But there aren't really that many that could hold my interest so far.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Link:: Perfect World Co. Ltd.

Ouch! 16.42 points.

PerfectWorld also dropped partial ownership of another company; however, I currently don't know the reasons for such an action.

We will have to see how this plays out: Perfect World: This Chinese Gaming Company Is Playing With Smart Strategies

I personally think Cryptic will impose an even longer grind. If I am going to play a game for a longer time period, I would rather move onto a story-driven progression experience. I am also playing "Dragon Age: Inquisition". I am thinking about jumping into buying a few months of "Star Wars: The Old Republic". I can always move in and out of its Free 2 Play system. I don't have to worry about commitments.

I noticed today most of the sales where coming in larger lots then normal. Instead of a few 100-200 block asks popping up on the low end, seeing plenty of 1000 share at a time offers up. They where downgraded by a few analysts after the Q3 numbers where posted. They where listed as a Sector outperform previously. They have been downgraded to a sector perform. Its like going to see your kids teacher and being told there average. In the markets case they choose which kids to buy education plans for and PWE isn't looking like there going to be at the head of the class anymore in terms of profits. ;)

TOR is the kinda of game that its fun to go back to for a few months a year. Play the new content and then leave again. Go in with that plan and you won't feel robbed. A sub + there 20 dollar expansion would keep you busy for a month or two... and in the end cost you less then a junk console game. To bad you didn't preorder though they just finished 12x class mission XP was nice to bump up any classes you may not have already had ready to play new content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    TOR is the kinda of game that its fun to go back to for a few months a year. Play the new content and then leave again. Go in with that plan and you won't feel robbed. A sub + there 20 dollar expansion would keep you busy for a month or two... and in the end cost you less then a junk console game. To bad you didn't preorder though they just finished 12x class mission XP was nice to bump up any classes you may not have already had ready to play new content.
    I am buying the Revan expansion pack. Whoot! :)

As long as leveling from 1-60 is tied to story content, I will have no problem with the endgame grinding. Endgame grinding is optional. :) I want to play a 'role' in something. :) I am interested in the story.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I am buying the Revan expansion pack. Whoot! :)

As long as leveling from 1-60 is tied to story content, I will have no problem with the endgame grinding. Endgame grinding is optional. :) I want to play a 'role' in something. :) I am interested in the story.

Not sure if there still doing the 12x though. They had it on for the last month. I am pretty sure it ended today. :( I haven't logged in to tor today yet. I didn't preorder fast enough to have early access myself. People that preordered before nov 1st have expansion stuff today... I ordered a few weeks ago so I have to wait till next week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    From a few days after the launch of DR up to a point about 2 weeks ago, Investor relations have been tight lipped concerning fielding questions and queries from current share holders. The replies they have given, gave the impression that they either were genuinely unaware of the issues players were raising or they didn't want to face up to them.

Interesting...in last night's posting in my Delta Rising review miniseries I just got done talking about paying into the game as a form of "investment" with the investor placing a monetary value on expected span of usefulness and enjoyment for their purchase based on their level of confidence that the item will not be obsoleted or the game become too broken to enjoy, or shut down before generating what the player considers an acceptable return in time enjoyed. And I touched on how dev promises versus the reality have in effect destroyed investor (player) confidence and resulted in downgrading their "stock" in our minds.

Very interesting and worrying that we are now seeing the same thing play out where the BIG bucks are (in the stock market).

I wonder if stock analysts and fund managers look at customer feedback in addition to just at the books, as a measure of stock health. If so, what they will find paints a pretty disturbing picture barring a quick reversal of course by Cryptic/PWE to meaningfully fix the problems here (and I cannot imagine STO is the only game that is suffering and subject to similar problems).

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I was Sith! I am Jedi! lol :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I haven't listened to one of these in a while, mostly because they are full of fanbois all hopelessly in love with cryptic that you can't get anything useful out of it, and again its the same thing.

Geko is a mess, pretty clueless about whats really happening. He is relying on hard numbers to judge success, when that is indicating how the game was, not is. People bought the DR pack because of how LoR went, not because they content they hadn't played yet was fantastic.

He went on a lot about story content and how it was so important, and they are already working on the next story (please no.) To be honest the story is awful.

They rationalized the queues being empty because people are still levelling to 60.. its been over a month, its not that much work. Also they think a lot of people are playing old episodes.. uh, ya...I'm sure thats entirely new behaviour. He went on to not really know how the level 1-60 progression works at all (which is shocking) much less what type of grinding is needed for 50-60.

Apparently its ok people are grinding on patrols because other MMOs use the same structure when they raise the cap. It takes more time for the last levels to be reached. Except they forgot the other games actually give you some type of content to get there, I don't know of any that gave up halfway through and make you kill mobs endlessly to get the rest of the way.

Also patrol missions are FANTASTIC. They are better than anything that was in the game early on. Maybe they overlooked that you bypass the same dialogue over and over and just shoot wave after wave of enemy.. If this is their quality control...

There was a long segment on them messing with xp values as you level, how some levels took more than others and how that very long and obviously clear and concise forum post that nobody understood. This is like beta level stuff here, why wasn't this addressed when they redid the 1-50 experience a while ago? I found it funny how he kind of pushes all the numbers onto another lead dev and how he doesn't know anything about it, then 5-10 minutes later goes into a detailed rant about how much xp people get from all the sources and how exactly they are changed.

Another contradictory statement is about how they reduced the critter XP because they didn't want people to get ship mastery too fast, then they proceeded to reduce the ship master requirements.

Dilithium rewards was a little bit shocking, hes basically said he doesn't liike how some people play, so we are going to nerf things and make you play the way we want. What a professional attitude there. Why not let people do what they want to do? Who are you to decide anything?

Regarding upgrade costs, I think there is a statement he makes along the lines of "Oh i really don't think its that much" lol. They had the spreadsheet. Shortly after he admits to not knowing how people are getting these 10, 20, 40k+ DPS builds...

Early in the cast he said if people finished the story before 60, what motive would they have for playing? Then he says later that peoples motives are to upgrade and get all the gear they need asap, and they want to draw it out. In fact his entire design principle is to drag out a lack of content as long as possible. Because really, we have no crafting system.. we have a time gate, we have no reputations, they are time gates, fleet holdings.. time gates; its exactly what he wants, people coming back over and over for refreshing the time gate.

They talked about the craftings mods. Funny it never even enters his whelm of thought that making a non-gambling type of system is even possible. He was throwing ideas about gambling and regambling, then retrying again.. You lose all hope after listening to this garbage.

Geko apparently has no clue, and won't hear of the fact that Advanced difficult optionals are not optional. One of the drones tried to say something but clearly overruled.

They want to add in the advanced+ level drops into ground zones for the appropriate reputation. This really defeats the whole purpose, but.. who cares. I mean, can they possibly TRIBBLE Defera up and forget its broken everywhere anymore than they have?

Good news is that MK XIV weapons should be better a large DPS boost, because this game needs more DPS. And suckers need to spend more $ to get that DPS. This is going to make the game more fun... odd, why hasn't FUN been mentioned in designing this game at all?

After finishing the whole podcast, I'm pretty sure this game is set on its way, they believe its going amazing, the direction is right for them and wrong for me. They have no incentive to change how they work, no reason to make anything fun, never a word of game breaking bugs, terrible mechanics, and everything else is just going to continue on as it has been. It will remain a game that keeps adding more and more to its own bulk and never even touching on the core issues it has been ignoring.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    I wonder if stock analysts and fund managers look at customer feedback in addition to just at the books, as a measure of stock health. If so, what they will find paints a pretty disturbing picture barring a quick reversal of course by Cryptic/PWE to meaningfully fix the problems here (and I cannot imagine STO is the only game that is suffering and subject to similar problems).

No (not in general anyway unless there counting things like Hype which out side of apple seems like a bad idea) let me tell you why PWRD isn't a great investment right now. Its also why I sold a pretty good chunk off today... should have done it a few days ago honestly.

- Profit margins. 2 Years ago 32.98%.. Last year 19.51% so far this year 17.77%. Not a great trend.

- They don't release info about how much % wise the companies employees hold. (Most analysts look for investments where the board owns around 15% or so) Not releasing that info means they likely don't.

- Cash on hand... info not given. NOT good.

- Income taxes paid. They claim to have paid 14.23% so far this year... and they paid 16.74% last year. For many investors companies that aren't paying closer to 35% are more likely to be cooking there numbers. They will slide numbers around on a earnings report but they won't overpay there taxes. :) lol

- 573M in sales... I know this would seem good, and it is. The issue is many investors in the market look at around 500 mil as a cut off where the company isn't going to be seeing massive growth. Plenty of the get rich type investors are looking for companies in the 100-200mil sales range that have the potential to become 500mil types in a shortish time frame.

Of course your right any issues the stock has isn't 100% STOs fault... or Cryptics... and when PW talks about North America there not really talking about Cryptic there. There talking about there NA operation which only includes Cryptic as a part of.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    I was Sith! I am Jedi! lol :D

You know what the Fed part of STO could need right now?

http://youtu.be/W1GqKbddWDw?t=1m2s

Something like that.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nicha0 wrote: »
    I haven't listened to one of these in a while, mostly because they are full of fanbois all hopelessly in love with cryptic that you can't get anything useful out of it, and again its the same thing....

Geko is a mess, pretty clueless about whats really happening....

...why hasn't FUN been mentioned in designing this game at all?

After finishing the whole podcast, I'm pretty sure this game is set on its way, they believe its going amazing, the direction is right for them and wrong for me. They have no incentive to change how they work, no reason to make anything fun, never a word of game breaking bugs, terrible mechanics, and everything else is just going to continue on as it has been. It will remain a game that keeps adding more and more to its own bulk and never even touching on the core issues it has been ignoring.

Now this is how you write a review..
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Yeah. Well, what the investors care about is mobile. PC MMO is just a stability hedge against risk of mobile regulation as far as Wall Street goes.

And this is a very mature market. And it shows because of how Cryptic keeps trying to tack on the old Silicon Valley stealth positioning trick at this point. It's not all that clever though.

They need to be using reverse positioning and Blue Ocean, probably with a heavy experience economy/service focus.

Incidentally, this is what I think they think they're going for:

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/4852.html

https://hbr.org/2005/05/break-free-from-the-product-life-cycle

It shows when they talk about "user acceptance" and it's so ingrained into some corners of Silicon Valley thinking that they may be doing it without calling it "stealth positioning".

The problem is, STO isn't a technology product. MMOs aren't.

They use quite a bit of tech, sure, but they accept tradeoffs in terms of tech development for accessibility. The tech is not the product. The service is the product. People aren't paying for the tech. If people were paying for the tech, they'd be spending that money on Crysis or even Mass Effect. Cryptic has mistaken the tech for the product.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Personally, I think Geko remains clueless about some things because he relies entirely on spreadsheets, and what his underlings tell him. Sometimes delegation breeds a form of isolation in an office environment. I seriously doubt that he even checks the forums that often.

And remember, Geko may be the favorite fall guy on the forums, but he's not the only one who deserves some criticism here. Personally, I blame D'Angelo more than Geko for how grindy the game has become since Dan Stahl left, reaching it's apex in Delta Rising.

Not making any excuses for anyone here. Just playing the Devil's advocate for a minute, and throwing some things out there to consider.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    What do you mean "clear" me? Are you implying that I answer to you or any other forum poster in some way? Because I do not. If you think it violates the forum rules itself, you're welcome to report it. If not, why should I care ?

You are answering right now ^^^ above .
    The notion that you do not care is dubious , as it's the second time you raised concerns over being controlled (or in your terms "implied" at being controlled) .
    But if this is your way of distancing yourself from the "crybabies" statement ... -- fair enough . :o

I can't "call anyone out", as that would be against forum rules.

/emote : shakes head /
    ... young people ...
    You misunderstand. I'm not criticizing the fact that they're protesting something. I'm criticizing the fact that they're doing it so insultingly.

Well as long as you're allowed to criticize , while criticism at you is perceived by you as ... see your first reply in this post ... .
    So you don't feel cheated and want justice? I mean slapping them with a lawsuit is a good way to achieve that.

I feel cheated in ways money cannot compensate ... , not to mention that I do not live in the States , thus a legal battle would be ... complicated and quite possibly unprofitable .

I'm also not hung up over the specialization points .
    They are transient , while a lot of other problems are game breaking .
    In ep 199 , a Dev said that he tried pugging Azure Nebula Rescue 4 times and failed .
    Those kinds of problems that keep players away are the ones that interest me , and are the ones that I see sluggish at best response to by Cryptic .
    The Dev then implied that a fix to the issue would be a month or months down the road . WTF ?!?
    If sarcasm is used in a sig in an attempt to convey a message, that message might get lost under the insult. Would you not agree?

I don't know .
    My current sig has been mistook as to be actually about Angry Birds , and not a metaphor about STO and F2P games in general .
    I did not change the sig just to twist the words of one of the biggest spies on earth because some ppl can't get past a metaphor .
    I mean if that person don't mind the message getting lost, that's their choice. But I did feel as thought I should pointr it out.

There are SOOO MANY "Best Expansion Ever" sigs right now that I'm considering collecting them just because of the amusing variety on the theme .
    We can't occupy Cryptic Street , so we might as well piket it .... virtually .
    And the way it's spreading has a kind of charm to it ... , so I don't see the message getting lost .
    Quite the opposite .
    That sounds like a horrible analogy. An open mind never seems like a bad idea.

In theory and on paper that is absolutely true .
    But it is also true that only fools do not learn from their mistakes , and sometimes you have to know where you come from before you can know where you are going .

In our case (and you are welcome to disagree) -- I think that only fools can expect some things to be fixed only out of Cryptic's good will .
    And as to knowing where we come from -- well let's just say that smarter and better players then me have been noted to say : "I believe it when it's on Holodeck" -- meaning that Cryptic has a record of ... saying stuff ... .

Thus coming back to an open mind ... -- it's absolutely great ... , if experience has not taught you better .
    After all , you will only put your hand close to fire once because you're curious ... . Next time you expect to be burned . Well we have been burned plenty of times already .

But I don't wonder why there are empty queues, because I am convinced that I have a sufficient explanation.

Since there are several theories to that , from the lack of XP to the HP issue to the nerfed awards to the no-longer-optional optionals to ppl leveling in the Delta Quadrant -- which one of these explanations do you subscribe to ?
    Or perhaps you have an alternative theory ?
    Because Geko sure offered one ... .
    "Massive invasion" is subjective.

For over 2 months all of STO was green .
    Everywhere you looked you saw a hulking Romulan ship -- which turned into s sea of gray-green once the Scimitar was released .
    That is simply not the case with the Intel ships .
    Yes , they are out there , yes ppl fly them , but quantity wise ... -- not even close .
    It does not help their case that some folks are only flying them to get the "mastery trait" that they want off the ship to use on their T5-U ship .

Skepticism is fine, but so is reason.

Why should I care if people are skeptic about my motives? What concern is it of yours?

Because motives define actions and actions can be attributed to motives .
    As to what concern of mine it is -- well let's just say that usually I'm not one of those ppl who lump ppl into groups and call it a day .
    If someone hates , I want to know why ?
    Same goes for supporters .
    And by your questions below , you share that curiosity ... , and I will not deflect that curiosity with a "What concern is it of yours ?" type of defensive non-answer :
    Why do you care enough to post about it? Or even stay here at all? I'm not saying anything along the lines of "if you don't like it, then gtfo", quite the opposite actually. I'm just wondering why, if you've lost so much trust in Cryptic, and are so convinced that there's no hope any more, why are you staying?

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I'm just curious.

4 reasons :

- STO is my first MMO , and I have been lucky enough to have a multitude of social experiences both within the game and outside of it -- many of which that still shine brightly in my overly nostalgic memory (from the forum Mod that may have slapped me down for misbehaving on the forums , but who was caught RP-in ingame with a "target that Cube and FIRE !" and an "Eagle 20, Fox 2 ... dammit it's jammed !!!" to healing some Devs on Defara when it was introduced , to miss getting killed by dStahl , to a myriad of other random things both with my Fleet and outside of it) .

- And along with memories , there is a also a sense of nostalgia .
    For the year one PVP , the long STF's and the bonds that they created , the FE series and the way it seemed that the Devs were on fire during the first year , and the way that each profession was ... a part of a larger whole back then .

- I used to be a PVP-er and an STF-er , when the Bug ship was introduced and I saw how much better it was back then in PVP in the hands of skilled flyers , I understood where things were going in terms of P2W and I became a very casual PVP-er from that point on .
    But the neutered "short" Borg STF's sustained me ... , as far as the excitement of team play was concerned .... , despite that the usual " GG" was nowhere as near as satisfying .
    DR has managed to put that in jeopardy , and I can't say that I'm thankful for that .
    But I'm not an "I quit" person , so here I am .

- Aaaand I might be addicted to some level to the game .

... and that's more then you probably wanted to know ...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I listened to most of the podcast with Geko, and I don't get where the idea that he's completely clueless comes from. What he talks about seems either "clueful" (like how the determine how much skill points a mission is to grant, or how many missions or kills you need to get there), or it he makes it clear that he doesn't know.

He states what their numbers are telling them. People play the game. Why do you think that these numbers are irrelevant and meaningless? Would you base your business strategy and game design on talk on the forums alone or something?

And he says they want to add additional neutral processor/cybernetic implants/Ancient Power Cells or what they are called in the game when there isn't a "solo" player way to get them (Defera and Kobali Prime are mentioned). And they want to add Dilithium rewards to fleet missions. Sounds cool.

But if you want to hear some actual "negatives from me:

I would like to advance faster and have more dliithium. I think there is a lot of area for improvement. And I think adjusting cost down will be necessary, not just adding new sources. The refinement limit is not gonna go away. (Not that I exceed it often...)
    I am disheartened that the alt-friendliness improvements that were talked about in the last podcast are still ways off and seem even less well defined as jesse made it sound.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    You know what the Fed part of STO could need right now?

http://youtu.be/W1GqKbddWDw?t=1m2s

Something like that.

or those running STO ... lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I listened to most of the podcast with Geko, and I don't get where the idea that he's completely clueless comes from. What he talks about seems either "clueful" (like how the determine how much skill points a mission is to grant, or how many missions or kills you need to get there), or it he makes it clear that he doesn't know.

He states what their numbers are telling them. People play the game. Why do you think that these numbers are irrelevant and meaningless? Would you base your business strategy and game design on talk on the forums alone or something?

And he says they want to add additional neutral processor/cybernetic implants/Ancient Power Cells or what they are called in the game when there isn't a "solo" player way to get them (Defera and Kobali Prime are mentioned). And they want to add Dilithium rewards to fleet missions. Sounds cool.

But if you want to hear some actual "negatives from me:

I would like to advance faster and have more dliithium. I think there is a lot of area for improvement. And I think adjusting cost down will be necessary, not just adding new sources. The refinement limit is not gonna go away. (Not that I exceed it often...)
    I am disheartened that the alt-friendliness improvements that were talked about in the last podcast are still ways off and seem even less well defined as jesse made it sound.

I don't think he's completely clueless. However, players find things that work and don't work in areas that mere metrics cannot.

I don't think Delta Rising is a massive failure like some here think. But there are things that can be improved, and things that need to be addressed and fixed. That would go far in sating some of the dissatisfaction among the community.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The problem is, STO isn't a technology product. MMOs aren't.

They use quite a bit of tech, sure, but they accept tradeoffs in terms of tech development for accessibility. The tech is not the product. The service is the product. People aren't paying for the tech. If people were paying for the tech, they'd be spending that money on Crysis or even Mass Effect. Cryptic has mistaken the tech for the product.

The question is , when has this happened , and is it really a mistake ?

I'm asking because the last FE series struck me as tech that was serviced by story instead of the other way around .
    That was my opinion when it debuted .

Guess who was the EP then ... -- and by extension , is it really a mistake , or is it a known company progression , in which when an executive get's promoted from department X , then department X will be doing well because it is either consciously or sometimes subconsciously supported by said executive .

That is the main difference that I see between D'Angelo and Stahl .
    Stahl was a lore fanatic , the other is a tech geek who discovered Trek later in life (I still don't know how D'Angelo managed that one ...) .

... add to that PW's continuous references to Cryptic being an "R&D division" , and at one point you begin to wonder what that literally means and how it's being applied to the games ... .
    At least Atari only wanted a game and money , not to turn us into lab rats for gaming philosophies & the latest twist in the Cryptic engine ....
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited December 2014

He is broadcasting to the clueless and hopes people will buy it.
    He may sound intelligent when talking about skill points, but like everything he talks about, he ignores the elephant in the room. Lets not talk about how people have to grind on absolutely no content to finish a story episode chain for hours upon hours, lets pretend it doesn't exist at all, and that way the clueless won't think about it. DR launched with 1/3rd the content it needed for a cap increase.

What the numbers say are just what number say. It tells you nothing about what is in the feelings of the players. People will hang on for a time, but push it too long and its not reversible.

Adding BNPs to Defera destroys the entire idea of what BNPs were supposed to be. Lets not mention that Defera is possibly the most frustrating bug filled area of the game, its not like you can do anything there without pulling your hair out because of an endless stream of bugs. Whose great idea is to get players to go here more?
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    elijahmre wrote: »
    Greetings, Admirals! You’re listening to the 200th EPISODE OF PRIORITY ONE PODCAST, the premier Star Trek Online podcast! This episode was recorded on Wednesday, November 26th 2014 and made available for download on Monday, December 1st 2014 at PriorityOnePodcast.com!

2-0-0 Episodes!! To help celebrate this monumental episode, we're joined by several special guests throughout the episodes. First, this week we Trek Out interstellar science with Dr. Robert Hurt! In Star Trek Online News -- things are a little quiet this week because of the Holidays; but, there’s still plenty of discussion to be had with an old friend of Priority One Podcast! Later, we’re joined by Star Trek Online’s Lead Designer, Al “CaptainGeko” Rivera to give us the scoop on recent changes to Delta Rising systems in addition to what might be coming down the pike in the coming weeks. Finally, before we wrap the show, we’ll open hailing frequencies for your incoming messages!Topics Discussed
    [*]Release Notes, November 25th, 2014
    [*]Tribble Notes, November 26th, 2014
    [*]Jesse Heinig’s follow-up on our forum post
    [*]Nerve Tonic Mockumentary

This week’s Community Question:

Let us know YOUR thoughts by commenting below!

In case you missed it, we’ve already published several video interviews on our YouTube Channel from Priority One Podcast’s on-site visit to Cryptic Studios in October 2014.*BE SURE TO VISIT OUR CHANNEL AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE PREMIER STAR TREK ONLINE PODCAST!

Captains, if you haven’t already filled out our “Game Ideas” form on our website, check it out at http://priorityonepodcast.com/gameideas and let us know your thoughts!

The Priority One Productions is always looking for new team members that have a passion for Star Trek. *Please know that all of our positions are volunteer, but we do offer a well known outlet for your work.* If you have a skill that you believe could enhance our content, then*send your contact information and experience along with a few writing samples to*incoming@priorityonepodcast.com

Did you miss any of our great Blogs last week? Stop by*this link*and see for yourself! How about our latest Video Release? You can also follow us on the social media sites!*We’re on*Facebook! Head over to*www.facebook.com/PriorityOnePodcast*and say, "Hi!" Or, Check us out on*Twitter*via*@stopriorityone*for show times and other cool stuff.

Liked this episode? Totally hated it? Leave a comment below, Contact Us using our handy web form! Enjoy the show!

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):
    Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com/po200
    iTunes: Priority One Podcast

SUBSCRIBE:
    OUR RSS FEED

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
    STOPriorityONE

Keep up the good work guys :)