Priority One Episode 200 | A Pretty Good Show

Comments

• valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    no, it's this --> http://youtu.be/1W0_DspT_Xw LOL

Lol!
    "Sir, we have a dev down here"
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    it's Wesley's fault
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I didn't level or get rolled back. Cryptic needs to drop the talk about exploiters on this subject. It isn't helping their image.

It's entirely possible that they're refering to a very narrow loophole besides just benefiting from level scaling. But if it is the level scaling thing, it is unproductive for Cryptic to continue to define a loophole that no longer exists as an exploit because it ticks people off. It's patched out. It can't be done anymore. Fine. But the wound reopens every time they define it as an exploit again.
    I agree, it IS unproductive. And it's stupid. And if I were them, I would respect my players more and not do it again.

I'm just saying they can, because it's their game. Doesn't mean they should.
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Geko basically went on his entire on air time like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

And the only thing the hosts were saying was "yes" and "great".

The podcast is a joke. I stopped listening to it awhile ago.
    edited December 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    If you weren't hostile toward anyone in particular, then who exactly are the "entitled babies" you were referring to? Clearly they are someone in particular.
    Naming and shaming is against the forum rules. ;)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I agree, it IS unproductive. And it's stupid. And if I were them, I would respect my players more and not do it again.

I'm just saying they can, because it's their game. Doesn't mean they should.

In the course of business, sometimes you need to choose your battles.

Say whatever you like about Stahl but the big frustration with Geko is that people seem to really work to put some of these fights aside and then he turns up out of nowhere, throwing punches over fights that were supposed to be over. And it's theoretically out of some commitment to honor or fairness on his end, I'd bet, except there is no honor or fairness in relaunching a fight that was supposed to be over.

There was a war. There was a treaty signed that people were unhappy with. And then Geko comes out swinging the next day.

If some of his own co-workers or his management are not frustrated with this, I'm not even sure what color the sky is Los Gatos.

Maybe you want to get players to adopt a playstyle, hit a certain metric, etc. This is not the right way to do that.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Interestingly, Geko said he has no idea to support that people play less games or disprove it. That means he has no data.
    But he has data showing that people are playing the game, and they are playng it more/longer.

You can refuse to believe that, but ... If he's lying, he could have just said "no no, queues are doing just fine, no problems."

He also notes that the patrols currently give about 1/3 of the expected skill points.
    Fleet Missions will also grant more skill points in the future.

And as I expected, the reason there is a levelling gap is to keep people playing in anticipation of the next mission.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Geko needs to do some soul searching.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Interestingly, Geko said he has no idea to support that people play less games or disprove it. That means he has no data.
    But he has data showing that people are playing the game, and they are playng it more/longer.

You can refuse to believe that, but ... If he's lying, he could have just said "no no, queues are doing just fine, no problems."

He also notes that the patrols currently give about 1/3 of the expected skill points.

And as I expected, the reason there is a levelling gap is to keep people playing in anticipation of the next mission.

CDF reinforcements have arrived.

:D

This is your last stand, guys. Make it count.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited December 2014

Fleet Missions will also grant more skill points in the future.

That is depressing as heck.

What it means is that his metrics are PWE goal driven and he isn't weighting that against customer value chain-derived metrics.

In the average publicly traded business, you have shareholder interest sometimes pitted against customer interests.

In a good business, you have to be prepared to pushback against shareholder interests for the customer by analyzing things for the benefit of all stakeholders, from the janitor to the player to the shareholder.

In a bad business, job 1 (and 2 and 3) is to drive profits and create shareholder value.
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    but metric 003124-423c said there where 723,754 players on

wait, wait, metric 523452-8965a.2 said there was an avrage of 9,861 players

ugh! metric 4896512367-7851 said no one Uses Qo'noS?! delete it!

wait! we are loosing people! please check metric 438926542837-8578ugaboogaboogabooga!

now we are loosing people in Queues! quick! nerf all other XP to lure them back into the STF funnel! lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Nah the 3rd guy is still missing, give them a chance ... :P
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    edited December 2014
    ...and a report from PWE that its US holdings are not doing good blaming them.

The fanboys dont see any of the above.

If players actually followed the company's reports, PerfectWorld has a serious problem with getting past the 20-27 point marker. Even though the company is making gains on mobile devices, the desktop users, the players in which is a concern to shareholders, is drastically evaporating. Regardless about what Cryptic says on the surface, the reality is that PerfectWorld is not able to turn the boat. Some of the BIG investment firms and banks have degraded PWRD's stock to neutral. Many firms are now seeing it as oversold at 18 points.

Approximately six to twelve months ago, PerfectWorld lost roughly 20 to 30% of their desktop playerbase. According to what I have read, the company is using 'Delta Rising' to keep everyone in game. Its a major problem. Since players are also not logging in for long periods, the recent set of nerfs is being used to encourage player participation. It doesn't 'seem' to be working.

PerfectWorld has some awesome revenue reserves; however, the amount of overall incoming revenue is slowly fading. PerfectWorld seems to be betting on a 3D MMO. However, the investors are just not seeing profitability.

Yes, PerfectWorld is having a problem with the US divisions; thus, the pain we are feeling is from the hire-ups making changes. PerfectWorld is trying to restructure certain departments, so they can innovate and respond to industry changes.

After the recent Q32014 report was release, PWRD's stock dropped below the 17 point marker.

PWRD is technically a stuck and/or dead stock.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2014

*whispers* What is CDF?
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The metrics can say what they like, but from someone who logs into game for at least 5 or 6 hours daily, I can say without any doubt in my mind, things are far from rosey and not getting any better. For me the game has become more of a social hub than something to play. I always knew ostriches stuck their heads in the sand.. Well, looks like geko's do too!

Does CDF mean Cryptic Defence Force??
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
    edited December 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    *whispers* What is CDF?

*screams across the room* Cryptic Defense Force.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited December 2014

Oh ffs guys, I've been trying to convince people, not fight with people.

If you care more about you vs me, count me out.
    edited December 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Oh ffs guys, I've been trying to convince people, not fight with people.

If you care more about you vs me, count me out.

Take a joke man. I wasn't even mad at you or the other guy I quoted.
    At least you give it an effort, as opposed to Geko.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited December 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    If players actually followed the company's reports, PerfectWorld has a serious problem with getting past the 20-27 point marker. Even though the company is making gains on mobile devices, the desktop users, the players in which is a concern to shareholders, is drastically evaporating. Regardless about what Cryptic says on the surface, the reality is that PerfectWorld is not able to turn the boat. Some of the BIG investment firms and banks have degraded PWRD's stock to neutral. Many firms are now seeing it as oversold at 18 points.

Approximately six to twelve months ago, PerfectWorld lost roughly 20 to 30% of their desktop playerbase. According to what I have read, the company is using 'Delta Rising' to keep everyone in game. Its a major problem. Since players are also not logging in for long periods, the recent set of nerfs is being used to encourage player participation. It doesn't 'seem' to be working.

PerfectWorld has some awesome revenue reserves; however, the amount of overall incoming revenue is slowly fading. PerfectWorld seems to be betting on a 3D MMO. However, the investors are just not seeing profitability.

Yes, PerfectWorld is having a problem with the US divisions; thus, the pain we are feeling is from the hire-ups making changes. PerfectWorld is trying to restructure certain departments, so they can innovate and respond to industry changes.

After the recent Q32014 report was release, PWRD's stock dropped below the 17 point marker.

Thank you. "Dead" may be overstating it but I've been agreeing with much of your analysis.

The one addition I would have is that "R&D division" is typically what PWE calls its development studios. So Cryptic may not be wholly owned anymore.

I've had people who think this is nuts but we know that they downgraded from R&D divisions from wholly owned to "majority controlled" with the remaining shares from the partial divestments going to execs in those R&D divisions. We know they did this with 5 R&D divisions but not which 5.

Based on the reports I've seen, it would make sense for Cryptic and Runic to be 2 of those 5. (The big thing I could see against Cryptic being one would be that Neverwinter revenue but but what difference does it make if PWE recognizes revenue on their end when ZEN is bought?)
    edited December 2014
    Thanks ... i finally got my enjoyment out of DR ... ;)

PS : Just played it simultaneously with : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y -> AWESOME

http://youtu.be/1W0_DspT_Xw
    wow, i just tried that too, that is funny lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Huh? Where did he mention you specifically? He just said that there have been some exploits. Which, in STO (or any game for that matter), is like saying "The sky is blue".

Overreact much? Being a little dramaqueeny?

Technically, everyone who ran Japori exploited because the Tau Dewa Patrols did not scale with player level, making it much easier to complete them in quick succession.
    As i said, I'm guilty as well, even though i just soloed the map and only a few at a time.
    Granted, it wasn't THE exploit that everyone was talking about back then but, by definition, it was an exploit in every sense of the word.

I ran tau a few times... I ran argala A LOT more. I did it on 4 toons. I teamed with my friends when I did it. We where all the same level with in a few. We did nothing different then we have done leveling alts for the past 4 years. A few of the friends I was teamed with where on tribble testing delta and even made a point of posting the XP earn rates for teams and even pointed out that if you helped a lower leveled friend you gained more XP then if they where on level.

Seeing as the game has worked that way for 4 years.... and no dev changed it after it was pointed out on tribble... or even said anything like. "Yes this is a known bug"... Why would we assume it wasn't 100% intentional. IMO getting more XP for teaming seems like a perfectly good way for a MMO developer to encourage people to team up.... Giving a bit more XP for someone teaming with a lower level, matching them and helping them progress in the game also in my mind seems like something a good dev would setup on purpose.

Bottom line Cryptic pulled points from 2 of my toons... and Publicly called me a cheater.

Then they realized they where morons and said woops sorry.

Now I realize they only did that because they are incompetent. The obviously went back on there finger slapping cause they pulled points from other people that didn't team and run any content with others at all. I am still an exploiter to them clearly.... cause I just heard Mr. R say so.

Honestly I'm glad I heard him say it and I am glad I know fully understand what I was suspecting.

So does anyone care that I have uninstalled is that over dramatic. Ya likely don't really care though I have had to delete 3 or 4 lines have typed here so far as to avoid calling anyone I shouldn't names that shouldn't be used in polite company. Anyway my autopilot just shut off time to go sell some salvage I snuck out of an eve battle. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That is depressing as heck.

What it means is that his metrics are PWE goal driven and he isn't weighting that against customer value chain-derived metrics.

In the average publicly traded business, you have shareholder interest sometimes pitted against customer interests.

In a good business, you have to be prepared to pushback against shareholder interests for the customer by analyzing things for the benefit of all stakeholders, from the janitor to the player to the shareholder.

In a bad business, job 1 (and 2 and 3) is to drive profits and create shareholder value.

Shareholders and current including possible future investors for the most part look at tomorrow, what is PWE going to do for me in the future should I invest in it that will have this company grow and its market shares increase. PWE response is the mobile game market. In fact, most eyes are on what PWE is going to have as an impact with the mobile game market, and a good chunk of their expected growth rate(forget what they expect in Q4) is pretty aggressive but it's because mainly of the mobile market.

The PC market as a whole is on a decline, so, something that they probably expect and plan on occurring, which, in turn, makes things even worse for STO.

This could be a realistic example, but lets just call it an example; STO number are bad in terms of revenue and game population because of the recent changes the devs made are very unfavorable for their consumers. PWE would probably just dismiss it and say it's fine due to the PC market conditions, and tell them to carry on. They probably wouldn't even think it's because of the game itself or what the devs have done.

As you described what a good business model does, this happens not often enough, especially in the video game industry.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
    edited December 2014
    Now I realize they only did that because they are incompetent.

i think everyone who wanted answers got them already from their posts/casts and nerfs, most of us know what we are looking at now.
    eywdK7c.jpg
    edited December 2014

Every time he talked about Delta being a great expansion and even better then Rom it was sickening.

His first line was...

"Delta rising I think was our biggest revenue day ever"
    He then went on to say
    "Delta Rising is at this point more successful then legacy of Romulus, not in number of new players brought in but in time people have spent in game and in the amount of money people have spent."

It is clear what information they give weight. As important as it is to keep track of the money you are making. I would say for a product that by his own admission isn't going to be attracting new players, it should be pretty important to ensure the old ones don't walk out the door.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014

If the situation is dire, I can just switch teams.

Wanna talk about M:WO and see how I do as a hater? :p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited December 2014
    it's easy you just blitz the net with "reviews" lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
    edited December 2014

I dumped a good chunk of mine today. I'll hold a little... ya never know they might come up with a killer phone app in china yet and I'll kick myself if I liquidate it all... besides there already down almost 6% today. ;) lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Looks like the investors have put the nerf hammer on the PWE stock. Guess it was overpowered....
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
    edited December 2014
    Thank you. "Dead" may be overstating it but I've been agreeing with much of your analysis.

The one addition I would have is that "R&D division" is typically what PWE calls its development studios. So Cryptic may not be wholly owned anymore.

I've had people who think this is nuts but we know that they downgraded from R&D divisions from wholly owned to "majority controlled" with the remaining shares from the partial divestments going to execs in those R&D divisions. We know they did this with 5 R&D divisions but not which 5.

Based on the reports I've seen, it would make sense for Cryptic and Runic to be 2 of those 5. (The big thing I could see against Cryptic being one would be that Neverwinter revenue but but what difference does it make if PWE recognizes revenue on their end when ZEN is bought?)

Link:: Perfect World Co. Ltd.

Ouch! 16.42 points.

PerfectWorld also dropped partial ownership of another company; however, I currently don't know the reasons for such an action.

We will have to see how this plays out: Perfect World: This Chinese Gaming Company Is Playing With Smart Strategies
    - Perfect World's strategy of focusing on 3D games, deploying expansion packs, and regularly rolling out new games will help it tap the online gaming market's growth.
    - Perfect World's partnership with Microsoft to launch Neverwinter on the Xbox One in China will enable it to tap a new genre.
    - Perfect World's expansion of its gaming network across the globe and investments in research and development to improve the pipeline are good moves.
    - A cheap valuation, impressive earnings growth forecast, and a robust dividend are some more positives to consider Perfect World.

I personally think Cryptic will impose an even longer grind. If I am going to play a game for a longer time period, I would rather move onto a progressive story-driven experience. I am also playing "Dragon Age: Inquisition". I am thinking about jumping into buying a few months of "Star Wars: The Old Republic". I can always move in and out of its Free2Play system. I don't have to worry about commitments.

When story progression is tied to level progression, the in-between grinding experience seems to remain balanced. Your character also has goals and a destiny. (SW:TOR)

When level progression is solely tied to a grinding system, the overall experience seems long, daunting, and pointless. Your character does not have any significant goal or destiny. (ST:O)
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    Looks like the investors have put the nerf hammer on the PWE stock. Guess it was overpowered....

From a few days after the launch of DR up to a point about 2 weeks ago, Investor relations have been tight lipped concerning fielding questions and queries from current share holders. The replies they have given, gave the impression that they either were genuinely unaware of the issues players were raising or they didn't want to face up to them.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!