test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Priority One Episode 200 | A Pretty Good Show

elijahmreelijahmre Member Posts: 195 Arc User
Greetings, Admirals! You’re listening to the 200th EPISODE OF PRIORITY ONE PODCAST, the premier Star Trek Online podcast! This episode was recorded on Wednesday, November 26th 2014 and made available for download on Monday, December 1st 2014 at PriorityOnePodcast.com!

2-0-0 Episodes!! To help celebrate this monumental episode, we're joined by several special guests throughout the episodes. First, this week we Trek Out interstellar science with Dr. Robert Hurt! In Star Trek Online News -- things are a little quiet this week because of the Holidays; but, there’s still plenty of discussion to be had with an old friend of Priority One Podcast! Later, we’re joined by Star Trek Online’s Lead Designer, Al “CaptainGeko” Rivera to give us the scoop on recent changes to Delta Rising systems in addition to what might be coming down the pike in the coming weeks. Finally, before we wrap the show, we’ll open hailing frequencies for your incoming messages!Topics Discussed
[*]Release Notes, November 25th, 2014
[*]Tribble Notes, November 26th, 2014
[*]Jesse Heinig’s follow-up on our forum post
[*]Nerve Tonic Mockumentary

This week’s Community Question:
What was your favorite part of this episode?
Let us know YOUR thoughts by commenting below!

In case you missed it, we’ve already published several video interviews on our YouTube Channel from Priority One Podcast’s on-site visit to Cryptic Studios in October 2014.*BE SURE TO VISIT OUR CHANNEL AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE PREMIER STAR TREK ONLINE PODCAST!

Captains, if you haven’t already filled out our “Game Ideas” form on our website, check it out at http://priorityonepodcast.com/gameideas and let us know your thoughts!

The Priority One Productions is always looking for new team members that have a passion for Star Trek. *Please know that all of our positions are volunteer, but we do offer a well known outlet for your work.* If you have a skill that you believe could enhance our content, then*send your contact information and experience along with a few writing samples to*incoming@priorityonepodcast.com

Did you miss any of our great Blogs last week? Stop by*this link*and see for yourself! How about our latest Video Release? You can also follow us on the social media sites!*We’re on*Facebook! Head over to*www.facebook.com/PriorityOnePodcast*and say, "Hi!" Or, Check us out on*Twitter*via*@stopriorityone*for show times and other cool stuff.

Liked this episode? Totally hated it? Leave a comment below, Contact Us using our handy web form! Enjoy the show!

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):
Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com/po200
iTunes: Priority One Podcast

SUBSCRIBE:
OUR RSS FEED

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
STOPriorityONE
There are no plans to transcribe this episode at this time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    elijahmre wrote: »
    What was your favorite part of this episode?
    BRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDONBRANDON

...*ahem*

I particularly enjoyed the portion where Mister Felczer returned.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    When a podcast becomes nothing more than a broadcast of the company line it ceases to be a community podcast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Geko basically went on his entire on air time like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

And the only thing the hosts were saying was "yes" and "great".
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    Shield co-eff-whatevers... THAT made me laugh.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,280 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you wish to represent the community... then surely you should be discussing the current issues that are affecting it.

If you want to act as an advert/promoter for Cryptic/PWE then you should probably just rename the pod cast "We listen to Cryptic tell us good things, and completely ignore other burning issues".
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Seriously, are you guys still playing this game? How were you able to listen to Geko all that time without breaking out into laughter?

DR is the best expansion ever. The statement stands, he just repeated it... like 10 times in a row.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This is not your best work I'm afraid. It's one thing for Cryptic to ignore the players but it's a different thing for something calling itself a Community Podcast to not even try to address major concerns.

Games review websites are picking up on it, why isn't Priority One? Do you guys actually play the game or is this just some sort of self-promotion exercise?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Quote of the year, brought to you by Captain Geko: "There was no nerf involved".

Oh my god this is getting better and better. :rolleyes:
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So Geko finally admits that critter kill XP has been proportionally nerfed compared to everything else. (And it only took an hour and 20 minutes to get there. :P I was ripping my hair out up until that point because you guys were only talking about mission reward XP in a vacuum and not confronting the elephant in the room {critter kill XP}. щ(ಠ益ಠщ) ) I am not happy about this but at least it's on the record now as not being a bug so there's no ambiguity.

RE: EC Nerf: Players talking about any 'EC nerf' are referring to the values of looted items being adjusted in season 9.5. The end result was a roughly 30-40% reduction in value of a typical loot haul. There has not been a more recent EC nerf than that.

Also, did I misunderstand something or did Skiffy turn in all of his mission replays on day 1 of Delta Rising? This was before the massive XP nerf and the SpecGate rollback so, yeah he would have gotten up to level 52/54ish.. But that was then and this is now.. we're talking about the current rate of progression.

A small point on the upgrade math used during the episode: A reputation item is not 1.44x the cost of a normal non-reputation item. It is 1.66x the cost. Oh sure the difference may be small, but in aggregate when you start adding up the costs for several pieces of gear, or several ships on several alts' worth of gear a lot of small price differences add up to a huge difference. There's also a danger in rounding numbers during calculations for the same reason; rounding and being off by 1,000 dil might not be a big deal for 1 item, but that's 21,000 extra dil if it's 1k multiplied times every piece of gear on a ship.

Of course my sheet that you guys are referencing makes its own ballpark guesses as well, and I'm aware that makes this post a little hypocritical. What do I mean? The mini-crits of the applying the tech upgrades themselves that you guys discussed right after the 44% surcharge for rep gear. My sheet doesn't take those into account** so I have to include disclaimers in my notes that all I can give is a ballpark estimate for the maximum possible costs, even though in practice costs will be less thanks to the mini-crits. Now is it "far" less as Geko says? Ehhh, I would consider "far" less to be like, 35% less or more, not 15-20% less, but that's just me. :P

**at least not yet anyway, I'm starting to measure mini-crits now and I'm seeing (with a sample size of 120 currently; rather small sample size) 1 mini-crit for every 6-7 upgrade kits applied (~14-16% mini-crit rate).

These are, of course, the small quibbles that you have to deal with when the RNG is involved. You're bringing in statistics which is always a fuzzy cloud of probabilities.

Since it was brought up I do want to reiterate my pleasure that Very Rare materials were made into a guaranteed drop from Advanced queues. That's a big help for material acquisition.

I said it in the thread for episode 199 and I'll say it again here, it's in our nature to think about total costs for gear, not in small bits and pieces over time (chipping away). That works for reputation and R&D progression because the time gates are large, and daily, and built directly into those systems. The time gates for upgrades on the other hand, are mostly indirect, in the dil refine cap, and the rate at which materials and upgrades can be acquired, which can be done all in one fell swoop. The actual upgrade time gates are only a few hours long and can be completed within a few days for a full ship's gear. The point that Cryptic is "starting from" to use Geko's words, is not the same that players start from.

RE: Geko's Pro Tip: When you look at an item in the upgrade system and the item converts into the new system, there is also a little black color burn in the bottom-right corner of the item's icon that also shows that the item is now part of the new dynamic item system. ;) Also I totally loved hearing about the guts of the engine like that. Modular stuff makes me excited. :P

RE: UI updates over the next yearish: Pleeeease reduce the number of clicks needed to do things like buying items in bulk from vendors, or crafting items in bulk over and over. I could come up with dozens of small little UI failings that could really use some loving. Tell Thomas that we should have a big feedback and discussion thread for UI updates so that we don't get blindsided by another edition of Unwanted DOFF UI Overhaul(TM).

RE: Mission/dialog voting: This was actually introduced for the first time in the 2800 featured series. I've always wondered why it wasn't incorporated in more missions since then. p.s. If I wasn't already happy with the number of alts that I have, I would name my next alt "Sassy Captain."

RE: Improving Mk XIV weapons even more: Sweet!

RE: Adding 'elite' rep marks (BNP, etc) to adventure zones: Awesome!

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm amazed that the people at Priority One are still able to speak....after licking all those Cryptic and PWE boots.

This podcast is pathetic.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Bob's other random thoughts:

'Grats on the 200th episode.

If you can make a few concessions to suspend your disbelief, Interstellar is a fantastic flick, on par with 2001.

Neat little insights into some of the ideas being tossed around for things like the next Summer Event (pssssst, zip lines and rappelling), and possible solutions for reducing R&D/Upgrade costs for alts.

I really hope Cryptic can successfully implement some tech for upgrading ground Kits/Modules; I'm dying to upgrade my Motion Accelerator.

And I might as well say it again: 20% across the board dilithium reduction for Upgrades plz. Actually, this might only be an issue with rarity bumps sooo, make it a Tech Point reduction for rarity so systems don't have to be fiddled with as much.

RE: Unrefined dilithium donation to starbases: Yes please. That is a cool idea, including the auto-refining idea so that the time gate is still in place.

Community question: Probably the Geko interview. Despite some of my annoyances with the tone during certain segments of it (the word "mouthpiece" comes to mind), it was very informative about the behind the scenes of various things, regardless of if one agrees or disagrees with the opinions and reasoning. I would rather hear information about things that I disagree with than no information at all. -edit- Scratch that. Favorite part is Geko's didgeridoo.

RE: Bloopers: lol

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My favourite moment of the show was when you guys did that cute RP at the start.

Oh and was that Branflakes?
  • Options
    varthelmvarthelm Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have not listened to this and based on these comments I'll lose my mind pretty much once it got to the Geko interview. His last several interviews have left me bewildered and frustrated so I can only imagine...

I mean this with all good intentions and I know you guys put in a ton of your own time, effort and money to bring us these shows. I believe your podcast is at a crossroads, however.

One one hand, you've developed a very good relationship with the guys at Cryptic so you can get interviews and some inside dope to offer the rest of us. On the other hand, the train that is Cryptic has gone well off the rails which I'm sure you as players are feeling too. This leaves you guys with one of two bad choices.

- Either become a spokesmouth and part of the PR management for Cryptic by conducting interviews with management that really are more like infomercials.

- Or cut out those interviews from the podcast to honestly discuss the issues in the game.

This is not your doing...it is what Crytpic has left you with.

The only inbetween position I can think of us to conduct softball interviews with Cryptic management while also bringing on well spoken fleet leaders and other player personalities to give the community perspective. I don't know how long Cryptic would put up with that and still be willing to come on the podcast but it would be a difficult tightrope to navigate.

Would make for a helluva show though :)
  • Options
    varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    After hearing Geko, I find it hard to believe he plays the same game we are.
    And if he is, he's mad.
    Wheeee.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    varekraith wrote: »
    And if he is, he's mad.
    Wheeee.

https://i.imgur.com/zd2CE0C.png

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    And if he is, he's mad.
    Wheeee.

I don't think so eiher.

He talked about the experience. The content is copy of copy.

He talked about patrols is not meant for leveling. It was from day one. He rather us play content.

Question
    What content?

Lasty, the experience again.

Fix the darn buggie piece mail game mechanics that doesn't work well. For example, loadouts.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    This is Geko idea of gameplay. Please Geko play the game for 3 hours grinding just to level then do a PVP with a veteran player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgnJ8GpsBG8

We'll talk about balance afterwards.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    equinox976 wrote: »
    If you wish to represent the community... then surely you should be discussing the current issues that are affecting it.

If you want to act as an advert/promoter for Cryptic/PWE then you should probably just rename the pod cast "We listen to Cryptic tell us good things, and completely ignore other burning issues".

There is no burning cities, screams, and lion roars ladies and gentlemen, nothing to see here move along! :P
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Geko basically went on his entire on air time like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

And the only thing the hosts were saying was "yes" and "great".

I think it was like this also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgnJ8GpsBG8
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    He talked about patrols is not meant for leveling. It was from day one. He rather us play content.

So it's not meant for leveling, yet it's the only content getting an XP-bump (according to Tribble) ... WTH ... is XP probably "not meant" for LvL-Progression either ? I'm confused ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    oh my god, both of these ^^ LOL
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I hate to say this but i think its time

if anyone has ever played BSGO from early open beta to when it went downhill

listening to that podcast just brought back some disturbing memories when BSGO start going to hell

and i think this game is about to join it in the living dead zombie game graveyard.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    So it's not meant for leveling, yet it's the only content getting an XP-bump (according to Tribble) ... WTH ... is XP probably "not meant" for LvL-Progression either ? I'm confused ...

I swear he just makes up stuff at this point.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,973 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    equinox976 wrote: »

...I'm fairly certain that reasonable journalism isn't just a matter of listening to the right kind of special interest group.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I am not sure how he arrives at that either.

Is he aware that:

There are not enough skillpoints from missions to level from 50 to 60.

There is a pop-up telling people to level using patrols.

Critter XP is the only meaningful method of leveling in Delta Rising because mission rewards fail to provide enough to level spec points at a rate of 1 per week and mission rewards provide substantially less than critter kills, even post-November 21st patch.

Patrols remain the most effective way to level. They are just a more tedious way to do so now.

Patrols were clearly designed to be replayed based on the presence of random changes on each completion.

I have always been defensive about people accusing people (Cryptic or otherwise) of lying. But his statements in no way align to the facts. Either he is unaware of one or more of the things I stated above or he is not operating in the spirit of full honesty and disclosure and is doing so blatantly and without any counter-argument to stand on.

I am often sympathetic to what he says in interviews. I think the DOff UI was an improvement. I agree that Cryptic has to make money and putting value like animations and consoles into sold products is a way to do that. I think the content in the expansion was enjoyable from the perspective of writing and acting. The encounters were tedious but the construction/design of the ecnounters aside from a glut of HP, even on normal, was enjoyable.

But I think he needs to be 100% honest when it comes to design and that he either knows ways to level that are glaringly obvious to him and not at all obvious to us... Or he is deliberately distorting information in a way that it is blatantly obvious (to anyone playing) to be factually incorrect. And there is no gain in distorting this information. No gain. Because as soon as someone logs in and plays, they see what he is saying does not represent gameplay.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My reaction to Brandon suddenly poking his head in: "Oooohhhhhh-Snap!"

It was great to hear him again :).

Otherwise, great show; congrats on 200; and thank you to Geko for hopping on and sharing his perspective on.. a lot.. of the issues players have been fuming about. I may not agree with everything (in fact, some parts physically made my skin crawl), but I can respect and appreciate the open and candid responses.

One thing that alarmed me, however, was the news about previous Winter Event ships no longer being available. The ability for alts to get ships at discount didn't exist for previous years, and there was no warning that these ships would be discontinued. At the very least, I would like to see the Chel Grett and Plesh Brekk be available this year as a courtesy before their discontinuation(even if they're only available for the first/last week of the event).
  • Options
    varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Good gravy, Geko is so full of it in this it's not even funny.
    Damn. He's not even trying to sound like he's not lying through his teeth.
    All one has to do is play the frakking game to see he's lying.
    And he wasn't called out on it to boot.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Good gravy, Geko is so full of it in this it's not even funny.
    Damn. He's not even trying to sound like he's not lying through his teeth.
    All one has to do is play the frakking game to see he's lying.
    And he wasn't called out on it to boot.
    :rolleyes:

You think P1 would do that? They suck up to Gecko.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png