test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tier 5 Starship Upgrades

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    We don't even know what that new Boff is and already people say they can't live without it:eek:

There are folks that have lurked the various leak sites/threads on other forums...saw some cool names...and those names are just so omgherd cool sounding that even if they're epic fail they're still epic win cause they're just so cool sounding. What they actually do doesn't matter...they've got the coolest names!
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Wow misinformation Everywhere on these Forums, and i blame Cryptic for it because they really need to make things more clearer for our slower player base , with all theses let's wait and give information little by little, and while they do that so much more misinformation floods the forums that you can't tell anymore whats fact, or not.

Yes, at this point I'm just dizzy from the amounts of misinformation and vague information. All of it needs to be presented in a clearer fashion. I don't think I'm slow. It's been incredibly too easy to be misinformed, and really sorting all of it out requires a detailed reading of a 100+ page thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Upgrade cost should be $5 or a Fleet Ship Module (aka 500 Zen) since they mentioned a Zen cost item to upgrade as a possibility.

I am disappointed that C-Store ships are getting the shaft. Ships that you have to buy with Zen will cost you more Zen, but ships that you can get w/ a pile of Energy Credits all get free upgrades.

Personally, since there is not a full upgrade to T6, I will not be spending any money/zen to get a half-upgrade. And with this poor treatment to C-store customers, I don't see myself spending any more money there for ships anytime soon or maybe ever again. I'll just ride my T5 Oddy till PWE shuts STO down or the way STO is run drives me away.
    edited August 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Yes, at this point I'm just dizzy from the amounts of misinformation and vague information. All of it needs to be presented in a clearer fashion. I don't think I'm slow. It's been incredibly too easy to be misinformed, and really sorting all of it out requires a detailed reading of a 100+ page thread.

Meh, I'd go more with the info in the two blogs...and hitting up dev tracker to check for dev replies that might offer some clarification on things.
  • admiralbogemusadmiralbogemus Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the flagship suppose to be the be all end all?

That means the Enterprise-F is now junk level +1.

I wonder what pvp results (same faction, T5 vs T5U, then T5 vs T6, and finally T5u vs T6) average results would be.

If a T5 cannot compete, will a T6 be given for free?

I don't think allot of these argument would be happening if the level cap was upgrade after 1 year. But after 4 years of game play this could be a major monkey wrench.

Will Elites strictly be a P2W effor?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    I plan to upgrade my Assault Cruiser at some point, as I don't really like the look of the T6 cruiser. I just gotta decide if I want to update the current one or wait til the fleet I'm in can get Fleet ACRs...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited August 2014
    Thanks again virusdancer for tipping me off about Geko's post there.

Heh, I'm betting 2 EC that we see the first one in the first Lock Box. Though, they might do one in the story somewhere - kind of like they did with Living Hull. Will have to wait and see...meh, so much wait and see. Can just offer Cryptic our hopes and concerns...accept whatever comes as whatever comes...then decide whether to play STO or APB Reloaded (that was an odd mail to get from PWE - had no idea they had that game).
  • tron1001tron1001 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Upgrade cost should be $5 or a Fleet Ship Module (aka 500 Zen) since they mentioned a Zen cost item to upgrade as a possibility.

I am disappointed that C-Store ships are getting the shaft. Ships that you have to buy with Zen will cost you more Zen, but ships that you can get w/ a pile of Energy Credits all get free upgrades.

Personally, since there is not a full upgrade to T6, I will not be spending any money/zen to get a half-upgrade. And with this poor treatment to C-store customers, I don't see myself spending any more money there for ships anytime soon or maybe ever again. I'll just ride my T5 Oddy till PWE shuts STO down or the way STO is run drives me away.

I agree to not spending anymore. Although, C-store ships should be getting free upgrades and at least the full five levels of mastery with the trait unlock.
  • alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kadams wrote: »
    You have lost nothing. Cryptic did not state that their T5 ships will be top of the line forever. You have not been lied to or mislead in any way, shape or form, other than by your own assumptions.

The game has moved on.

Keep up or be left behind.

Also, I find your "thousands of dollars to upgrade all my characters" an exaggeration, and an irritating one at that. Cryptic has stated that the unlocks will be account-wide.

Well I suppose that is one way of looking at it. However, more importantly, Cryptic has admitted that the new upgrades and tier 6 ships are not necessary to complete the new content which means the game is still way to easy. However, for those of us that PvP we will be obligated to upgrade to remain competitive. Considering that Cryptic has done jack **** for PvP development over the years I am a little irritated that I will have to upgrade my stuff just to keep up with the PvP arms race that Cryptic doesn't even care about. This will probably be the last straw for me. PvP is the only sane reason to keep upgrading your ship. The PvE content is a joke. Anyways, my time logged in has dropped dramatically since 9.5. Everything I spent on LoR is completely outdated barely a year after I spent it. That's a huge kick in the nuts considering what the legacy pack cost. In two years I have easily outspent what a subscription model would have cost me on this game and I can't in good conscious keep throwing money away. Cryptic and PWE are too greedy and apologist attitudes like the one you expressed are only enabling them to rip us off with a straight face.
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's really not Cryptic's problem, now is it? Cryptic provided you with a free ship upgrade. You declined to use it. Your prerogative. Your loss.

Personally, as a non-PvPer and as someone who's never used the Gal-X, I find using the Gal-X in PvP as absurd. The Gal-X is an outdated ship that, even with the buff Cryptic gave it a few months ago, has not aged well at all. It may have been a dreadnought at launch, but it's outstripped by superior ships now.

But hey - you're a big girl/boy/whichever is applicable. Your ship, your choice, your life. Have at it.

Say? No.

Imply you were lead to believe? YES.

Regardless, these upgrades are optional. You're free to continue using your T5 ships and doing Borg STFs like you have for the past 4 years.

This is the part you seem to forget. NOT REQUIRED.

yes it is, for they are losering customers with this kind of attitude. a business wants to increase its income not destroy it and that's what they are doing here. sorry i can't afford to spend 300 busk for a lifetime sub.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is about what I expected.

Just one little thing...

...if you clowns charge more than $5 for the upgrade I am raising hell.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I've read the blogs, and stuff a few times, and I'm still not clear on everything, at this point I'm gonna have to wait out till it's live.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Tier 5-U and Tier 6 both have four ship levels, the twist is that the fifth level the tier 6 gets is SOLELY to get the trait, it doesn't improve the ship's performance at all. So literally on that track all the Tier 6 ship has over the 5-U is the ability to get the trait natively.

Heres the thing, Just how OP is that trait? That one trait could be OP enough to make all teir 5u ships obsolete.
    edited August 2014
    alopen wrote: »
    the PvP arms race that Cryptic doesn't even care about... PvP is the only sane reason to keep upgrading your ship.

I suspect that most of the people complaining about the upgrades don't pvp. They just want to convince themselves that they have the best stuff. In reality, there is probably absolutely NO noticeable difference in gameplay between a T5U ship and a T6 ship in PvE content.

There is probably no noticeable difference in pvp, other than when the loser blames his T5U ship or the winner blames his skill for using a T5U ship for taking a T6 ship down.

Come on, does anyone out there even notice a difference in gameplay between purple XII stuff and fleet purple XII? You folks grind for the self-congrats of having the best stuff.

Now, many of you are raging about stats that you wouldn't even notice unless you paid attention to stats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2014
    Come on, does anyone out there even notice a difference in gameplay between purple XII stuff and fleet purple XII. You folks grind for the self-congrats of having the best stuff.

Dude...that Ultra Rare Mk XII weapon has +2.5% damage strength compared to the Very Rare Mk XII. For a Beam Array with a base damage of 100 running 125 Weapon Power, taking that base damage to 200...that +2.5% means I'm getting 5 more damage per volley. If I break out all sorts of buffs, debuffs, and the like...I can get 10+ more damage per volley! Woot - woot - woot! :D
  • kadamskadams Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    alopen wrote: »
    However, for those of us that PvP we will be obligated to upgrade to remain competitive. Considering that Cryptic has done jack **** for PvP development over the years I am a little irritated that I will have to upgrade my stuff just to keep up with the PvP arms race that Cryptic doesn't even care about. This will probably be the last straw for me. PvP is the only sane reason to keep upgrading your ship. The PvE content is a joke. Anyways, my time logged in has dropped dramatically since 9.5. Everything I spent on LoR is completely outdated barely a year after I spent it. That's a huge kick in the nuts considering what the legacy pack cost. In two years I have easily outspent what a subscription model would have cost me on this game and I can't in good conscious keep throwing money away. Cryptic and PWE are too greedy and apologist attitudes like the one you expressed are only enabling them to rip us off with a straight face.

I'm like 99% sure PvP in STO is a joke, and has been for at least two years. Is this not a commonly known fact?

Has Cryptic ever shown any interest or caring about PvP?

That said, yes, PvP is srs bsns. If you wanna stay in the game you gotta keep up with the arms race. That's how it works.
    yes it is, for they are losering customers with this kind of attitude. a business wants to increase its income not destroy it and that's what they are doing here. sorry i can't afford to spend 300 busk for a lifetime sub.

Cryptic's bosses seem to think that going down this path is the way to go, which is not really Cryptic's fault or choice.

You seem to think spewing profanities at them will change what their bosses are telling them to do, which I find unlikely at best and incredibly rude at worst. I suspect this may have something to do with why they infrequently post on the forums or in game.

"High <dev> i want this this and this now now now and while you're at it could you do this and this for me too"

hyefather wrote: »
    Heres the thing, Just how OP is that trait? That one trait could be OP enough to make all teir 5u ships obsolete.

Orrrr... more likely, it could be a worthless gimmick like the refracting tetryon cascade from Nukara. Loud and flashy but does very little, all things considered.
    edited August 2014
    Dude...that Ultra Rare Mk XII weapon has +2.5% damage strength compared to the Very Rare Mk XII. For a Beam Array with a base damage of 100 running 125 Weapon Power, taking that base damage to 200...that +2.5% means I'm getting 5 more damage per volley. If I break out all sorts of buffs, debuffs, and the like...I can get 10+ more damage per volley! Woot - woot - woot! :D

And you notice this 2.5% in PvE combat? Really? The explosions happen 1.7 seconds faster and you feel proud of spending 25 days grinding for that 1.7 second reduction in battle time?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kadamskadams Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And you notice this 2.5% in PvE combat? Really? The explosions happen 1.7 seconds faster and you feel proud of spending 25 days grinding for that 1.7 second reduction in battle time?

Yes... I think that's the joke, I think..

For most people, I think, Spire console are more accessible than the XII purple tac consoles. They're only 50k FC and like 20kD, as opposed to several million credits. 20K D is like 4 days of grinding if you do it casually and 50K FC are easy if you're in a developing fleet.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I'm thinking that Biggrin in his post indicated a shot at humor. He must've needed more [Acc] mods on his joke... :D
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Are you going to pretend the CrtD or CrtH on fleet tactical consoles is meaningless too? The Neutroniums with build in RCS and vice versa? Are you aware that one of the crafted new RCS consoles has twice the turn of even a fleet RCS, 85%? Do you really think people don't notice that? really?
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That blogger sounds like a typical cryptic fanboy with no basis for anything. Speaking of KDF, the c-store Mogh and Fleet mogh is the last thing I got and, like you said, we are just gonna pay more. sorry, NO. You also forgot to mention the MAJOR rep nerf with season 9. I don't grind rep anymore. only if I need the dilithium. There is no incentive now.

Yeah that is why a lot of us went on a rant when it was announced of the EP's return. Next set of blogs will say something around the lines of the excitement of Delta Rising and this news we are getting is getting such overwhelming support even though everyone hates it. Yeah I knew these massive nerfs were coming though. They just tried to disguise it as being *upgrades* when its basically a heavy nerf to everything anyone has right now for a grind to get it all back as level 60 gear heh. I have quite a bit of dilithium but I am more than likely just going to let it collect dust and never spend it along with stipends.

Yeah for c-store the mogh was like the only usable ship since the b'rel c-store version came out lol(which I started like a few months after it came out lol). If we do get anything it'll be something horrible like a bortasqu'. For me I already have my sights set on a new game and might post in forums for awhile but then just fade away like the player base is about to do lol.
  • admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I'm like 99% sure PvP in STO is a joke, and has been for at least two years. Is this not a commonly known fact?

Has Cryptic ever shown any interest or caring about PvP?

That said, yes, PvP is srs bsns. If you wanna stay in the game you gotta keep up with the arms race. That's how it works.

Cryptic's bosses seem to think that going down this path is the way to go, which is not really Cryptic's fault or choice.

You seem to think spewing profanities at them will change what their bosses are telling them to do, which I find unlikely at best and incredibly rude at worst. I suspect this may have something to do with why they infrequently post on the forums or in game.

"High <dev> i want this this and this now now now and while you're at it could you do this and this for me too"

Orrrr... more likely, it could be a worthless gimmick like the refracting tetryon cascade from Nukara. Loud and flashy but does very little, all things considered.

I have been calm and collected in the past and even offered ways to do things that would be fair to all. but being constantly ignored wears thin on someone. Craptic/PWE are like children who have pushed it too far and now they are paying the price.

An excellent example, the legendary Threadnought about making the Galaxy R competitive in the game. many reasonable ideas were offered by use to make the ship worth it and more cannon. And when we heard of the Galaxy bundle we hoped we could finally see the ship get it's due. They didn't touch it. They gave the Galaxy X saucer sep, which was promised long ago and slap a hanger on. They didn't even fix the known graphical glitches tothe Galaxy models and skins. Then the Threadnought was ninja closed with no reason or warning given. Thankfully askray started another for us, but can you see why some of us yell at them at times/
    edited August 2014

It was a joke post, poking fun at it. It's like the folks that dropped out how many tens of millions for VR Mk XII Tac Consoles to get that +1.9% damage strength compared to dropping out less than million for +1.9% less. Cause yeah, "Folks need their epics!"

All kidding aside...I did notice that the VR store Bio-Molecular Photons weren't hitting as hard as expected and investigation led to seeing they're bugged...only doing damage as if they were Rare instead of VR. Which led to a bug report on the matter. Outside of the ludicrous amount of time I spend planting crops and harvesting them here in Farmville...er...I mean STO with DOFFing, R&D, Starbase, etc stuff...I spend almost all of my time blowing stuff up or getting blown up. You will notice the minute increases or when something is off.
    edited August 2014
    I'm thinking that Biggrin in his post indicated a shot at humor. He must've needed more [Acc] mods on his joke... :D

C'mon, even Geko knows you can't chase Defense with Accuracy...I need a T6 Forum Account so I can use that extra BOFF ability to slot a Tractor Beam! :P

Damn it, my T5 Forum Account is obsolete...
  • raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Note that although only T6 ships will come with a Ship Trait (not T5-U), ships are not the only way to acquire Ship Traits. Ship Traits are not restricted to the ship. It’s something you unlock for you captain and you can use on any ship. There will be other ways to unlock Ship Traits. More details on this soon.

That's cool, thanks.
    Honestly, my only concern with traits is more variety and flavor. I don't anticipate it causing a power disparity.

The only real concern of mine is being down a Boff slot. That could make a sizeable difference is power between the two types of ships depending on if it's a lowly ensign seat or something like an Lt getting upgraded to LtC (former is an advantage, but still somewhat minor, the latter can be huge).

My other concern is that the ability to upgrade Cstore ships and the requirement to upgrade fleet ships as well put fleet ships in a bad spot. If we don't need them after all, then the work fleets put in is now moot. Beyond that, fleet ships already ARE an upgrade, so I honestly, would much prefer it if fleet ships could be upgraded for free.

Barring that fleet ships should at least be cheaper to upgrade (probably to the tune of $5 though I'd hate for any ship to require more than that to upgrade even if it is account wide)
    edited August 2014
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    Are you going to pretend the CrtD or CrtH on fleet tactical consoles is meaningless too? The Neutroniums with build in RCS and vice versa? Are you aware that one of the crafted new RCS consoles has twice the turn of even a fleet RCS, 85%? Do you really think people don't notice that? really?

I grinded for one of those dilithium fleet holding consoles that improved my turn rate by 40% or something. I think that is the only time I have ever noticed a difference between the ultra grind-for-it-stuff and the simple, cheap, but quality drops.

It's all psychological for the other stuff. Maybe the math works out, but only because you've done the math.

Otherwise, the game is easy. You don't need this stuff. And if you don't pvp, why do any of you even care? To complete a stf 3 seconds faster, after spending 4 months grinding a timer? It doesn't make any sense to me, beyond realizing that people feel good about themselves when they are convinced that they have the best TRIBBLE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Here is my constructive criticism:

Please take the entire Ship Tier system back to the drawing board and rework it so that the system conforms to not only the tenants of general engineering but also to the canon of the IP the game is based on.

General Engineering:

A ship designed and built less than a year ago shouldn't suddenly be less powerful than the ships being currently designed and built. Advances in manufacturing within a design guidelines and specifications driven paradigm (Such as the Advanced Starship Design Bureau) do not fluctuate this rapidly or drastically. They are called standards for a reason.

Canon:

A ship built 100 years ago, should not outclass a ship built 50 years ago, 25 years ago, or 1 year ago.

A ship built within the past decade is a prime ship for a Retrofit.

Newer ships shouldn't be less powerful than older ships.

Smaller ships generally speaking should not be more powerful than larger ships.

Relics and museum ships have no business as ships of the line.

Just because a ship looks kinda like another ship, doesnt automatically mean both ships are the same, and therefore should be treated differently as per the above guidelines.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • gornthehuntergornthehunter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    i have looked at the whole t5 upgrade deal and hear are my thoughts, feel free to disagree.

This is the same type of TRIBBLE that pwe pulls with it's other games. Work your butt off to get a fleet ship and suddenly an update comes out and your ship is not worth what you spent on it.
    You spend hours farming for that ship and now it is worth nothing.
    You spend cash to get to get a t5 ship and now it will be worthless. Folks spend cash on ships that now will have to spend more cash just to have that zen ship or fleet ship that took ship moduales be only a half assed version of what it once was.

Thanks pwe you chased me out of one game and from what I have read about t5 upgrades looks like your gonna chase me out of another. Thank you for making my many hours of work and the hard earned real life money I have spent up to now mean nothing. Oh and because this post is all about how they are gonna chase players off make other players stop spending cash and making some players play and not care so runs will start to suck, this post will most likely be deleted.
    edited August 2014
    My other concern is that the ability to upgrade Cstore ships and the requirement to upgrade fleet ships as well put fleet ships in a bad spot. If we don't need them after all, then the work fleets put in is now moot. Beyond that, fleet ships already ARE an upgrade, so I honestly, would much prefer it if fleet ships could be upgraded for free.

Check out the dev tracker for some gorgonzolla....bah, here - I'll drop it out:
    Fleet ships are an improvements upon Tier 5 ships. T5-U Fleet ships are improved versions of T5-U ships.

There is not a single T5-U level. There are both T5-U 10 console ships as well as T5-U 11 console ships with +10% hull and +10% shields.

Say you've got a Galaxy Retro and a Fleet Galaxy Retro. The T5-U Galaxy Retro will have -1 console, -10% hull, and -10% shields compared to the T5-U Fleet Galaxy Retro.

Really wish they'd been a little less cryptic with the designations there at T5-U.