Install Arc
Options

Tier 5 Starship Upgrades

Comments

• Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    atomictiki wrote: »
    No my topic is more "meta" in that this is an unheard of move in the MMO industry. It's a huge risk to dump a whole section of your catalog -- especially one that contains one of the main attractions of your game, namely canon starships.

I don't know you or your posting history, but I do not appreciate your childish attempts to derail the topic.

The thing is, this is in no way shape or form an unheard of move.

Now I don't like that canon ships will be statistialy inferior to the new ships and all or that people will have to pay to upgrade their fleet ships, but it's far from unheard of lots of F2P MMO cash shops sell gear and what not that is superior to free stuff and naturaly if the game has a level cap increase any new higher level gear they add to said shop going to be better than the old stuff. Big fancy cash shop lvl 50 gear is going to be worse than big fancy lvl 60 gear.

I'm not saying this is a good thing but it's not some shocking never before seen concept.
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah that is why a lot of us went on a rant when it was announced of the EP's return. Next set of blogs will say something around the lines of the excitement of Delta Rising and this news we are getting is getting such overwhelming support even though everyone hates it. Yeah I knew these massive nerfs were coming though. They just tried to disguise it as being *upgrades* when its basically a heavy nerf to everything anyone has right now for a grind to get it all back as level 60 gear heh. I have quite a bit of dilithium but I am more than likely just going to let it collect dust and never spend it along with stipends.

Yeah for c-store the mogh was like the only usable ship since the b'rel c-store version came out lol(which I started like a few months after it came out lol). If we do get anything it'll be something horrible like a bortasqu'. For me I already have my sights set on a new game and might post in forums for awhile but then just fade away like the player base is about to do lol.

I'm honestly depressed that it's all gonna go downhill and just, as you say, fade away. My fleet is,literally, beyond the point of no return. They've had it. I don't want to see our little group get disbanded because of cryptic/PWE inability to do the right thing by the players.
    signature.png
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I don't really like how complex endgame is becoming, but I'm willing to give the new system the benefit of the doubt for now. I'll wait to see exactly how the various T6 abilities affect gameplay before making a decision.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm honestly depressed that it's all gonna go downhill and just, as you say, fade away. My fleet is,literally, beyond the point of no return. They've had it. I don't want to see our little group get disbanded because of cryptic/PWE inability to do the right thing by the players.

our small fleet was actaully starting to gear up for T4 base and started to get people wanting to join. Are we going to keep them if this goes through, not likely.
  • Options
    sounthernrebelsounthernrebel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Reading the release notes for upgrading the teir 5 ships it said events ships would be free but I did not see the Support Cruiser Retrofit. This ship is a level 50 ship that was given out for Temporal Ambassador when it was first released. Very similar to the event Dyson ships when they came out. However I noticed the Romulan Dyson Ship was listed twice on the list.

If this is a slight over sight can it please be corrected as well as fixed. If it is not however can I have an explaintion on why this event ship is being left out.
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey everyone,

So after 108 pages of reading, I've reached the end of this thread (for now) and compiled my list of feedback and questions to send off from this topic.

I hope to bring some good clarification to some of the questions brought up about the T5 to T5-U upgrades.

Thanks go out to everyone who brought up some good points, reported some typing mistakes in the initial blog, and asked some very good questions that we had not thought of.

Take care and get some rest forum folks!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    "Because it's a mission reward" is apparently the only reason Cryptic needs.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,195 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    The free Dyson ships are technically now considered Lobi ships, as they are available in the lobi store. The non fleet Retrofits most likely fall under the category of "episode reward" unfortunately.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You mean the Dyson ship people had to grind out for or spend Lobi for, unlike the Ambassador that you just had to show up once. :confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The free Dyson ships are technically now considered Lobi ships, as they are available in the lobi store. The non fleet Retrofits most likely fall under the category of "episode reward" unfortunately.

That, and the free dyson ships were event rewards just like the Risan or Breen ships.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey everyone,

So after 108 pages of reading, I've reached the end of this thread (for now) and compiled my list of feedback and questions to send off from this topic.

I hope to bring some good clarification to some of the questions brought up about the T5 to T5-U upgrades.

Thanks go out to everyone who brought up some good points, reported some typing mistakes in the initial blog, and asked some very good questions that we had not thought of.

~CaptainSmirk

Thank you for separating the constructive and meaningful feedback from the rhetoric, Trevor. And then presenting it to the devs. You've earned your paycheck this week. :)
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You spend cash to get to get a t5 ship and now it will be worthless.

T5 ships aren't worthless, they're just worth less. This is an important distinction.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of there being T6 ships at all or of paying to upgrade my FTER (because there is zero chance I'm ever buying a T6 ship), but to the casual player, 500 Zen to upgrade one ship isn't that bad. It's not ideal, but if you're a F2P player, this is how the game makes its money. This seriously screws with people that play a lot of different characters and/or a lot of different ships, but if they're hardcore enough to have already spent hundreds of dollars on top-end ships already, I'm sure they'll figure something out.

If you're a subscriber, start saving those monthly stipends and you won't have to drop an extra cent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    our small fleet was actaully starting to gear up for T4 base and started to get people wanting to join. Are we going to keep them if this goes through, not likely.

We seriously have to do something about this. This game has been a big part of my life the past 2 years, I don't wanna see it die out. I made good friends and grew memories playing this game but enough I enough!
    signature.png
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    enixonbb wrote: »
    The thing is, this is in no way shape or form an unheard of move.

Now I don't like that canon ships will be statistialy inferior to the new ships and all or that people will have to pay to upgrade their fleet ships, but it's far from unheard of lots of F2P MMO cash shops sell gear and what not that is superior to free stuff and naturaly if the game has a level cap increase any new higher level gear they add to said shop going to be better than the old stuff. Big fancy cash shop lvl 50 gear is going to be worse than big fancy lvl 60 gear.

I'm not saying this is a good thing but it's not some shocking never before seen concept.

A big part of the problem is the design of the game itself.

This game is designed in such a way that your starship is the equivalent of a sword or shield in any other fantasy MMO.

This presents an issue because this is NOT the typical treatment for starships within the IP which this game is based upon. So the "Level Cap Increases mean New Gear. Deal with it." argument is rather out of place in this discussion, especially considering that THE single most readily identifiable connection to the IP that this game has going for it, is it's ships. (At least until that T6 Cruiser was introduced in Vegas)

Asking people to set aside the last link to the IP this game has, in favor of standard, run-of-the-mill MMO operating procedures is a particularly tough pill to swallow, as the forum threads today alone have clearly shown. And I'm pretty sure this sore spot with the players isn't going to get any better any time soon, as Cryptic is likely way way WAY too far into the development process to even consider making a change, even if they were inclined to do so, which I highly doubt they are.

If I were Cryptic's marketing department, I would be hating my job right now, because it just got infinitely harder to sell this game, especially to those who are only in this game for the IP.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey everyone,

~CaptainSmirk

Think some of the clarifications would go a long way toward easing some of the rage taking place. Not saying it will get rid of it, and folks will have their reasons to rage regardless...but a lot of folks out there are getting massively worked up over stuff that others aren't...just because of how they're reading the information. Heh, if I'd read it the way some are - well, I probably wouldn't be typing this reply...probably wouldn't have been able to read what you wrote, because you would have banned my IP. But yeah, I definitely think some clarifications on stuff would help. :)
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I wish Cryptic would make an exception in the case of the Mirror Heavy Cruiser. Thanks to the whole T5 Connie thing, the Heavy Cruisers are the only small cruisers available at T5; so the mirror version adds some much needed variety.
  • Options
    wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Will the free lockbox ship upgrade be available for the Mirror Ships to T5-U?
  • Options
    buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey everyone,

~CaptainSmirk

Do you still have any faith left in humanity after all that? I suggest many strong drinks and pictures of puppies.

Many thanks.
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited August 2014
    Curious if the 3rd year t5 anniversary ships "Support Cruiser Retrofit"/"Kamarang Battlecruiser" will be availible to be upgraded? got a couple alts that still fly those.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Will the free lockbox ship upgrade be available for the Mirror Ships to T5-U?
    Tier 5 starships that have been omitted from this list, as they don’t qualify for an upgrade, are those that fall into one of the following categories:
    •Starships with a Dilithium or Rank-Up Token cost
    •Starships that cost Fleet Credits only
    •Starships that are awarded from completion of an episode
    •Mirror Universe Starships

Not according to the current setup.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    Curious if the 3rd year t5 anniversary ships "Support Cruiser Retrofit"/"Kamarang Battlecruiser" will be availible to be upgraded? got a couple alts that still fly those.

Doesn't look like it, no. You'd need to get the fleet versions if you wanted those upgraded.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Hey everyone,

~CaptainSmirk

Typos are the least of the problems compared to everything else WRONG with Delta Rising. I'm not paying to upgrade my fleet ships. Period.
    signature.png
  • Options
    wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not according to the current setup.

-.-

Oh well. Guess I'll be junking my mirror VoQuv later then. FareTheeWell.

EDIT: Not really worth even paying Zen to upgrade a mirror ship when you can just throw money at a T6 ship.
  • Options
    admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey everyone,

~CaptainSmirk

Smirk the simple message is this. STOP TRIBBLE US OVER! The T6 ships for the feds are just plain ugly. the designers clearly have no clue on what fed ships are suppose to look like. Get moonraker, Tobias richter, even Maxeloaf and they can make you ships that LOOK like fed ships. THe upraged system for the T5 and fleet ships is a joke. Please if you have to delay DR then delay it as long as you get rid of this system idea.
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Offer full T6 variants of the most popular ships, such as the Scimitar.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    /Climes on Soapbox

500 zen each to upgrade 18+ characters each with a unique T5 ship...I give up :-/ I ground out when I was unemployeed and then bought most of the ships for my characters (gear I don't mind), but those ships I put my blood sweat and tears into, digitally speaking. Going from T5 to T5+ wasn't that bad, there was never that big of a base (lvl40-45) T5 collection of ships, so 50 introduced something. T6 is a bad idea and now we have it, a whole new tier of ships for PW to charge us for. You thought the Scimitar was great for its day, wait till you see the next must have Dreadnought.

/Gets off Soupbox
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey everyone,

~CaptainSmirk

i feel sorry for you and thank you for going through that effort.:eek:
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg