What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Proper Solution to Powercreep

Comments

• Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    PVE was getting too easy for me so a few months ago I left any dps or NWS related channels I was in and stick to just pugging, fleet groups, and public stf channels. PVE is more of a challenge when you don't have all 30k+ dps FAW scimitars and Recluse with mesh weavers on the team. It still goes fast enough with just 1 or 2 high dps people and the rest of the pugs are newer players or people with just fun builds, but is more fun and not quite as laughably easy.

Also sometimes we take pvp builds into STFs like all vaper team because thats the characters we happened to be on while we were grouped in Kerrat. Mix it up sometimes, keep things interesting. Of course pve will get boring with only FAW dps channel builds, the game isn't balanced for that, its balanced for pugs.

I don't support removing normal as its a good way to learn for new people and an easy way to get daily bonus, but maybe if a third difficulty could be added without removing normal it would be acceptable. Until then try pugging if you want a challenge.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    cody0893cody0893 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nerfs and changes, or should we call them what many of them are, adjustments and fixes, are healthy for any game, when done correctly, its a simple fact that nothing will be perfectly balanced when its released, why? Murphs law, which is to say that a couple hundred to a couple thousand players is not a couple hundred thousand to a millions. simple law of averages says that as the number of players that have it grows so does the chance of someone finding a bug or unexpected use, that can mean nerfs, aka adjustments to correct things that are broken. Elachi subspace intergration console anyone, which is still powerful when used with sci powers.

good point but here is one cryptic doesnt have a great track record for fix's.... do they? I am sorry the entire issue of the power stems from players boredom not problems with game....They are board cuz they ran all the mission 500 hundred times and became very efficent at what they do so now they say nerf everything..... I am sorry u are looking at the mission and the ques as the sole entainment in sto........and yes if you pug a match you will find some challenge i do all the time. Yes if u go in to a map with 5 scims with 30 k in dps of course you are going to fly threw it....... at one points are toons are fin and we start more... at one point the toon is apost to apex out..... then u find other ways to enjoy the game. not sit around and complian your board.... the power creep toys and ships are the only reason why sto lights are even on..... the pvp comunity while strong is smaller in numbers compared to a year ago lots of loss revenue and ne more nerfs i think would spell the end.....whats worse? more nerfs or being op in a elite....Fact is they nerf everything wont make the a.i ne better.... and wont make the maps better designed either so all this talk of player being a power creep is bad only for the player and further more if there is no new tricks from the a.i those changes or nerfs would only make the player weaker while makeing us run the exact same mission with less pop you guys thinks thats the answer...lmao
    They killed your Alt's now they want your main
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    i could support a lil tuffer elite
    i could support ne new builds cryptic can throw us
    i could support of revamp of pvp for the mass's to enjoy
    i could support ne thing that doesnt take away from players............. sorry some there fix's where flat out a horrid.

With out a sufficent a.i for npc u will never have the skill level from sto npc's we want or need. So we will never get the skill level we want from our game in pve and in mission... so increaseing hit points and damge dealt bye npc would help a lil but the ques i dont think were be the sole entertainment in sto. hince why we have pvp rp and foundry to keep us all busy with weekly events.

so i am in favor of fixing issues that we can like pvp this one option will take the best op and put agianst another op ship..... a propper would give some distraction to other players if pvp is revamped in a way that made sense. no game a.i will ever entertain you u idefinately you will learn this, thats why pvp is key to mmo's
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Cody, when changes happen within game, we the player have to adapt in response to that situation.

Sometimes a nerf or 2 can be healthy to a game
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      verline1verline1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      cody0893 wrote: »
      nerfs and changes, or should we call them what many of them are, adjustments and fixes, are healthy for any game, when done correctly, its a simple fact that nothing will be perfectly balanced when its released, why? Murphs law, which is to say that a couple hundred to a couple thousand players is not a couple hundred thousand to a millions. simple law of averages says that as the number of players that have it grows so does the chance of someone finding a bug or unexpected use, that can mean nerfs, aka adjustments to correct things that are broken. Elachi subspace intergration console anyone, which is still powerful when used with sci powers.

good point but here is one cryptic doesnt have a great track record for fix's.... do they? I am sorry the entire issue of the power stems from players boredom not problems with game....They are board cuz they ran all the mission 500 hundred times and became very efficent at what they do so now they say nerf everything..... I am sorry u are looking at the mission and the ques as the sole entainment in sto........and yes if you pug a match you will find some challenge i do all the time. Yes if u go in to a map with 5 scims with 30 k in dps of course you are going to fly threw it....... at one points are toons are fin and we start more... at one point the toon is apost to apex out..... then u find other ways to enjoy the game. not sit around and complian your board.... the power creep toys and ships are the only reason why sto lights are even on..... the pvp comunity while strong is smaller in numbers compared to a year ago lots of loss revenue and ne more nerfs i think would spell the end.....whats worse? more nerfs or being op in a elite....Fact is they nerf everything wont make the a.i ne better.... and wont make the maps better designed either so all this talk of player being a power creep is bad only for the player and further more if there is no new tricks from the a.i those changes or nerfs would only make the player weaker while makeing us run the exact same mission with less pop you guys thinks thats the answer...lmao

Boredom is not the issue, not is efficiency in how they approach the fight, its power creep, which is a effect that happens when gear, abilities, powers, continue to rise in effectiveness but the content remains stagnant.

In this case being able to run elite stfs in 2 mins, this isn't efficiency at work, its raw dps output.

being able to two man no win scenario to wave 9 for the achievement, again that's not efficiency, that's shear power creep, and likely again the raw dps being pumped out. tanking has had its fair share of creep, but ive seen tac cubes in elites just melt in seconds.

and every time we turn around their making it worse, like the new fleet dps consoles, which in testing had lower damage bonus on them to even out their crit bonus, but got bumped to have their dps boost more in line with existing consoles, and kept their crit bonus, that's creep. its more power and dps were it wasn't needed for the sole purpose of adding it.
    • Options
      edited June 2014
      Cody, when changes happen within game, we the player have to adapt in response to that situation.

Sometimes a nerf or 2 can be healthy to a game

progress in the name of progress isnt good........sorry they cant fix the game a.i the devs siad so to talk of ne soution would envole more changes then ne one like me who has invested ne amount of time and money will be down for. i am down for changes but takeing away from a players for a poor a.i is lame......
    • Options
      edited June 2014
      yet agian you "CANT NERF PLAYERS CUASE A FEW IS BOARD WITH PVE AND MISSIONS".... Like i siad u can nerf every thing wont change the a.i hince we are just hurting our selves.. So even if u could nerf every one we would still face the same a.i whats diff faceing it op or nerfed

here is another question will i pay for the nerfed gear? no
      here is another question will i pay to be op ? yes

we have a choice here either the nife or the op...... pretty simple right

npc will never change the tactics are basic so will the missions the a.i is flawed not players so why nerf players
    • Options
      edited June 2014
      got to love f2p mechanics
    • Options
      madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      you also cannot explain to casuals that they don't actually pay the bills. It's the try hards, min/maxers, high performance players, and PvPiers that spend money on this game. nerfing them will make them stop paying and leave the game.

s

that's a ****ing hilarious because I'm not a hardcore and I do pay the bills. I also play other games, have a life and do other things outside of sitting at the PC all day and night and posting nonstop on Reddit. STO isn't my life but when I play it every week, I pour a lot of money into it. And no I don't want nerfs. Nerfs are amateur game developer solutions to problems because they lack the ability to be innovative, or maybe are just too lazy and want to cut corners. Either way the result is ****.

I love that excuse from the devs about altering the AI costing too much. Yet other studios have done it without spending any money, just sacrificing their own time, because they do it out of love for the game... you know the original reason they became game developers in the first place! Makes you wonder if the people working at cryptic really have their heart in it or not. They already destroyed Champions and Neverwinter is a joke. Indie devs at least create new animations across their products but what do we have here.. same animations from 3 games in all 3 games, **** some of them are even from the original CoH game before Cryptic left and Paragon took over and did new and better animations on bi-monthly basis at one point.
    • Options
      edited June 2014
      that's a ****ing hilarious because I'm not a hardcore and I do pay the bills. I also play other games, have a life and do other things outside of sitting at the PC all day and night and posting nonstop on Reddit. STO isn't my life but when I play it every week, I pour a lot of money into it. And no I don't want nerfs. Nerfs are amateur game developer solutions to problems because they lack the ability to be innovative, or maybe are just too lazy and want to cut corners. Either way the result is ****.

Well siad thank you..... no nerf no new system will effect game npc a.i...... so ne talk of fixing the power creep is talk of only hurting players they cant fix the a.i, they can tweak and bend it but it is what it is...... no nerf would fix this issues allso further complicateing it is f2p mechanics.... i still hope and pray for a pvp revamp then at least we could fight each other........ but hay been praying for that for allmost 2 years.......
    • Options
      hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      Making the current content harder would have been so much better than robbing us of our traits. IT would have been a win , win. I'm still sick over my traits being stolen. I even understand all the changes they made and why but, I still feel robbed. They could have come up with a better solution. You never take what a player has worked for. Truth be told, if cryptic would be honest about it. I bet at least 10% (or more) of the player base left after season 9. I almost did myself. I hope they learned from this. I know the game has to be making a ton of money. I see lockbox ships everywhere.
      Hey Cryptic, put that money to good use.
    • Options
      edited June 2014
      hyefather wrote: »
      Making the current content harder would have been so much better than robbing us of our traits. IT would have been a win , win. I'm still sick over my traits being stolen. I even understand all the changes they made and why but, I still feel robbed. They could have come up with a better solution. You never take what a player has worked for. Truth be told, if cryptic would be honest about it. I bet at least 10% (or more) of the player base left after season 9. I almost did myself. I hope they learned from this. I know the game has to be making a ton of money. I see lockbox ships everywhere.

you are so right omg nail on head..........i am cool with them jacking up the level in elites but i don t support ne thing that litterally takes away from the player... not atm maybe when the game start to pick up and more players come back maybe after pvp revamp lol.............. But i dont think the game players i.e the older player could take another round of nerf i.e fix's that effect player toon builds. With a.i being in base code there isnt allot u can do..
    • Options
      ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      hyefather wrote: »

The problem is cryptic listens to the "OMG WHY DID I DIE ONCE? I SHOULD BE INVINCIBLE" player crowd.
      King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
      ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    • Options
      madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      ashkrik23 wrote: »
      The problem is cryptic listens to the "OMG WHY DID I DIE ONCE? I SHOULD BE INVINCIBLE" player crowd.

While I don't care about dying in games, I don't see where it is a rule that we should be dying more often, and if not it's broken or not good enough. Not to mention when I play, I don't even see players trying to help other people, even when they have the means to do so. My bridge officers in away missions are more useful than real players. I'm not saying I want to see the typical garbage mmo trinity, but I'll help someone out if I see them struggling. Most people are too concerned with just doing the most damage possible, in the event that some noob at the end posts a parser - and I always block those kind of players.
    • Options
      snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      if done properly you can avoid future problems.

Your idea isn't done properly and will suffer from future problems.

As for the AI, the capability is already in the game. it doesn't have to anything fancy smart. just have the NPCs use more abilities than they currently do.

You're not thinking this through. The AI can't be made smarter. Using more abilities won't change that.

It's very easy to get 20k DPS,

In which content?

Storming the Spire? Or are you once again doing what everyone else does and only using ICE as a benchmark?
      and finally: Gorn Mine Field, CCE, Klingon Scout Force... the game DOES track damage and healing. it outputs what it tracks to a text file.

It tracks damage. NOT DPS.

Nothing in STO or any Cryptic game actually tracks DPS. So you are using a metric this game can't produce without the assistance of a third party program. And are suggesting the game lock players out of content by doing so.

That won't work. Mechanically.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      I'm sorry, Jena, but the 20k+ players already mostly gate themselves into private channels that I think are seriously warping their view of the game. Folks like you (and me, as a mere 15k-20k player) make up a ridiculously tiny percentage of STO's playerbase.

The game isn't designed for people like you. It's designed for a player who finally (!) hits level 50, picked the Star Cruiser as their last free ship because it looks cool, and has uncommon Mk X gear from mission rewards. And above all, who doesn't have experienced players to tell him how to build that ship.

We're all the hero of this game- you, me, and the player I just described. Cryptic is not going to release content that person can't queue up for. Because that person has you and me *far* outnumbered... and far outspent.
    • Options
      edited June 2014
      Your idea isn't done properly and will suffer from future problems.

You're not thinking this through. The AI can't be made smarter. Using more abilities won't change that.

In which content?

Storming the Spire? Or are you once again doing what everyone else does and only using ICE as a benchmark?

It tracks damage. NOT DPS.

Nothing in STO or any Cryptic game actually tracks DPS. So you are using a metric this game can't produce without the assistance of a third party program. And are suggesting the game lock players out of content by doing so.

That won't work. Mechanically.

i dont agree with you allot but nail on the head on the a.i issue.. wow i am speech less this never happens rofl
    • Options
      ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      AI can easily be made better, unfortunately Cryptic themselves directly stated they refuse to buff them up.
      King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
      ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    • Options
      edited June 2014
      ashkrik23 wrote: »
      AI can easily be made better, unfortunately Cryptic themselves directly stated they refuse to buff them up.

Its not that they dont want too they cant..... it would require probally massive rewrite of game down for weeks maybe more. This is why i cant support ne nerf to a player over a flaw..... But i am a pvper and really never used mission or ques but for rep and leveling the rest is spent in kerrat. or working on fleet projects...Point is there isnt away u can fix this saddly a.i and f2p mechanics thats why i allways pvp 16 toons all tier 5 rep in all of them.... i still log on for hours cuz i love the game and i am not board the best players are in kerrat and are ready for a challenge.....if u are board go there if u have a klink toon and feel brave u could really have fun.......Instead of this i see allot of people complaining over this issue when its not that big of a deal.. I thought this game was about captian and toon progression and not about just one toon ne ways.... but here i go agian.... Further more if revamp of pvp would ever happen with better maps and objective's i think this issue would fade fast specally if the revamp was done correctly then u would have foundry and pvp back..... and things would pick up a lil. i think lets fix problems that we know we can fix....
    • Options
      edited June 2014
      I wish to the term " power creep " wasnt ever coined it sounds bad.... And all it is is some that has a apexx toon that is fully fin...... this should be a achievement and not coined a creep of ne short.
      All i see when i see power creep is some one thats either grinded his but off or spent some change either way these people should be valued kinda still have hope for the new crafting too its small but its definately there give it week lol

good night all
      please remeber
      Stop takeing away from players lol
    • Options
      r9xchaosr9xchaos Member Posts: 249
      edited June 2014
      What powercreep?

the game is fine.
    • Options
      acrosscatacrosscat Member Posts: 84 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      r9xchaos wrote: »
      What powercreep?

the game is fine.

Power creep is the gradual sense and actual experience of unbalance of a game as it continues to get added new content for it. New content is made? It's getting loot for its appropriate rewards. But that loot may be more powerful than previous rewards, adding further complications to existing gameplay that now have people 'require' you to perform at a heightened level of implied competence with the new items available to players.
      ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      r9xchaosr9xchaos Member Posts: 249
      edited June 2014
      acrosscat wrote: »
      Power creep is the gradual sense and actual experience of unbalance of a game as it continues to get added new content for it. New content is made? It's getting loot for its appropriate rewards. But that loot may be more powerful than previous rewards, adding further complications to existing gameplay that now have people 'require' you to perform at a heightened level of implied competence with the new items available to players.

i dont see any powercreep in here...

i use reputation gear and i do fine, lockbox gear is good too and fleet gear is way to much work to get PLUS the fact that fleet gear has no set bonuses...

for all the effort fleet gear is the most boring content in game.. just increased the dmg values and thats it... lame
    • Options
      acrosscatacrosscat Member Posts: 84 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      i dont see any powercreep in here...

Hey, you asked. I only gave you the definition of power creep.
      ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
      edited June 2014
      What powercreep?

the game is fine.

clean your glasses and look again :P
      Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
      Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
      Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    • Options
      kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      People are still complaining about power creep in MMOs? What is this, last millennium?

Do you play poker while complaining loudly about how you hate card games, as well?

"Oh, noes! I chose to play a game style that is defined by being of undetermined length, with constant additions to extend the playtime and give continuous ways to advance your character, and is available near constantly for you to play so the content must be repeatable because the laws of physics forbid infinite developer time. I must now make it my holy mission to remove power creep and repetitive grindy content... Because I choose to play a game that is based around concepts I do not enjoy in the first place!"

Of course the game power creeps. Without power creep there is no advancement, because most people will not just play to play.

If you don't play the game enough to keep up with the creep, then the creep is irrelevant to you, because you still have things to do. It is only some malformed sense of inferiority that makes people who aren't playing the game at the level where they need more stuff that causes this logical fallacy in people. Don't go swimming if you don't like to be wet. Don't MMO if you don't want to keep playing.
      I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
      kimmym_5664.jpg
      Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
    • Options
      verline1verline1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      kimmym wrote: »
      People are still complaining about power creep in MMOs? What is this, last millennium?

Do you play poker while complaining loudly about how you hate card games, as well?

"Oh, noes! I chose to play a game style that is defined by being of undetermined length, with constant additions to extend the playtime and give continuous ways to advance your character, and is available near constantly for you to play so the content must be repeatable because the laws of physics forbid infinite developer time. I must now make it my holy mission to remove power creep and repetitive grindy content... Because I choose to play a game that is based around concepts I do not enjoy in the first place!"

Of course the game power creeps. Without power creep there is no advancement, because most people will not just play to play.

If you don't play the game enough to keep up with the creep, then the creep is irrelevant to you, because you still have things to do. It is only some malformed sense of inferiority that makes people who aren't playing the game at the level where they need more stuff that causes this logical fallacy in people. Don't go swimming if you don't like to be wet. Don't MMO if you don't want to keep playing.

people seem to misunderstand the complaint, and assume power creep cant be controlled, which it can, it just takes micromanaging on a level that's well not worth it as there are simpler ways of handling the creep when it hits a certain point.

that that's really the thing here, power creep unto its self isn't really bad, its just when it continues, unchecked, and just keeps get further and further out there that it becomes a problem.

and that's what we have, a power creep that's gone unchecked, un hindered, and without any real reason for it other then making players more powerful and effective. granted this is healthy too a degree, more so in some genres of games then others, but left unchecked and allowed to just keep growing it becomes unhealthy for multiple reasons.

doing content can become very trivial, 2 min stf's anyone, and can set certain expectation on how some things should happen, which can lead to some very nasty blow ups from people when they don't, as in some new player in stfs making mistakes, not pulling massive dps, so on. that's as much a social thing as a power creep one but it dosnt help.

with no content that's challenging that leaves players without much too do but grind away on things, or pvp, and pvp here is less then balanced, and its very build intensive, it has a steep learning curve too since having a build and knowing how to use it are separate things. and even here the creeps evident, ships that just cant be killed without very specific gimmicks, ships that just vaporize whats infront of them in seconds.

this same creep has slowly made captains other then tacs redundant, its also made healers and tanks pretty redundant. I'm not saying we need the trinity, and its not odd too see one type of gameplay dominate, but when you get one that's so dominate that everything else isn't just secondary, or redundant, but is dead weight compared too what could be done, something is drastically wrong. sure games have dead weight classes, or play styles that are usally fun but not all that effective, and they have usally have one style that's more effective then the rest, but the gap between the most effective and the second most effective game play style can be a good indicator of the games health
    • Options
      scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      3. To unlock the queue for this new STF tier you will need to do one of the following:

a) Run 5 to 10 normal STF and DPS over 20k in each one.
      B) Run 5 to 10 normal STFs and do over 2k-3k OUTBOUND HPS in each one.
      c) Run 5 to 10 normal STFs and soak up 300k+ of damage in each one,
      d) Run 5 to 10 normal STFs and CC/debuff an X amount of targets for each run.

do that and min 80% of players will leave the game
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      Any pace of power creep is going to feel uncontrolled so long as we continue to run things like ISE.

Some of this content is ages old.

We need a new level of challenges to make the power creep useful. No matter how slow we advance if the mobs don't do so as well, we have this problem.

We need power creep to apply to the rest of the game as well.
      I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
      kimmym_5664.jpg
      Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
    • Options
      edited June 2014
      kimmym wrote: »
      Any pace of power creep is going to feel uncontrolled so long as we continue to run things like ISE.

Some of this content is ages old.

We need a new level of challenges to make the power creep useful. No matter how slow we advance if the mobs don't do so as well, we have this problem.

We need power creep to apply to the rest of the game as well.

this chick, i like let it flow and fix the problems we can. Honestly like the devs siad they cant fix the a.i.... So the power creep is here and i think its fine if u are board go to kerrat.... i am telling yeah either the chat or the fights will entertain mainly the chats lol..... No one really cant stop this with the a.i to the npc at the root of the problem there is no majic bullet not even micro management..... u cant make something do something that wasnt ment to do....

Like women more u hold them back the more they want to leave.....same could be siad over sto players