test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Proper Solution to Powercreep

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    cody0893 wrote: »
    not the point thou.... you take away from the best and the most loyalist customer for one that will grind everything..........see u got to remeber all the sub players enough with all the g.d nerfs over what npc a.i failure so u want to nerf a player that spent money on your npc ai.i failure right.... if there are ne more nerfs watch another 20 percent in drop in log in's no content and nerfs for all i bet that sales some ships

You need to restructure your posts, they are hard to read.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • cody0893cody0893 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sorry got up set on this. if u nerf everything u sold us why would i buy more........ just to be nerfed more and more then u take away all that i built and bought the ultimate slap in the face of a customer to find out that his hard earned money was spent on nothing but nerfed itmes that no longer work...... why play then
    They killed your Alt's now they want your main
    edited June 2014
    sorry got up set on this. if u nerf everything u sold us why would i buy more........ just to be nerfed more and more then u take away all that i built and bought the ultimate slap in the face of a customer to find out that his hard earned money was spent on nothing but nerfed itmes that no longer work...... why play then

The same could be said about why do we play a game that will die eventually as all MMOs do? Answer is simple, because you have fun. A nerf does not mean that items no longer work.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • donowickdonowick Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would like be back the way it was before rep. So if you wanted the good gear you had to do stfs to get it and had to get options. that was more fun than doing rep. Miss the old days hanging out at DS9 lol. :)
    edited June 2014
    Fact is ne one can power creep just takes a lil time or a very lil money........ to have a player say i want this game harder is kinda understandable but at one point we all reach a apex...... thats why we do so many toons i thought.....

To nerf ne player ne more is wrong and a bad business move crptic will lose all credit or what lil it has. To me if u find your self flying threw elites to fast go to e.s.d pick up four noobs and run a elite and earns some friends there are ways to entertain your selves with out nerfing items we paid for.

NPC A.I failure is not a reason to rob what lil paying customer's you have.

stop takeing from players pass it on
    edited June 2014
    no a nerf means I just ment i spent 500 dollars on nothing and you think i am dum enough to that agian
    edited June 2014
    with out the last of the ship builders (i.e power creeps) what does cryptic sale it ships if u nerf everything why play why buy it isnt fun the game would be boreing as hell like it is.... less abil less entertainment
    edited June 2014
    with out the last of the ship builders (i.e power creeps) what does cryptic sale it ships if u nerf everything why play why buy it isnt fun the game would be boreing as hell like it is.... less abil less entertainment

Not seeing the "everything getting nerfed" part.
    edited June 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Not seeing the "everything getting nerfed" part.

when u have played as long as i have everything is allmost been nerfed enough is enough season after season most changes didnt fix ne thing the more they mess with things worse it gets.... I love sto and think its the best sci fye mmo i play...... been that way for to many years i guess and as a long time customer enough is enough..... nerfing and takeing from players has pass it didnt rain it inn it made it worse...... when u take away from man too feed another its steall called thieveing where i am from even if u have good intentions
    edited June 2014
    And thats it you are debateing wich group get nerf the doff stackers the gear freaks and the over all sto esthusist...... There A.I failure doesnt give the players right to determine wich system to nerf sorry....Honestly ne player issue's from system ware or the game has grown larger then they ever planned either way its not the player's fault and why should the apex player pay for this company fatal error..... only way is too make a new elite map but even then you are just turning up hit points and damage they do and some minor other secondary abill's...... with out a functioning a.i this game is a ship builder dream= (i.e power creep) with out these op ship sale there wouldnt be a sto.... that f2p mechanics
    Further more with loss of pvp this issue should be on the back bunner if we want harder apponents we could allways fight each other if they would ever revamp pvp
    edited June 2014
    Fact is lets revamp pvp it gives us better targets to shoot at till they fix A.I issues i love to see the pvp crowd back.
    edited June 2014
    no matter what the answer is we all will agree this problem will take allot of time to fix..... but till then we could over hual pvp and maybe get it working finally. Then they will have the time to step the a.i up or create better lay out of the maps allowing more targets maybe or what ever needed..... But i cant stress this enough nerfing systems and takeing 10 steps back to go 2 foward isnt right either.... pvp would give something better to shoot at other then npc and would buy them a lil time to think of a A.I solution maybe.... but please stop takeing away from players i sick of the word nerf nerf the nerf
    edited June 2014
    donowick wrote: »
    I would like be back the way it was before rep. So if you wanted the good gear you had to do stfs to get it and had to get options. that was more fun than doing rep. Miss the old days hanging out at DS9 lol. :)

i will agree pvp was healthier too before rep and i miss hanging out on ds9 lol
  • madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Don't get into game design, bad choices. Reminds me of Sinclair's amateur choices at DE games, the guys just clueless about what makes a game good, resulting in people quitting. Like the typical dev thinking there. Not innovative at all. Just hurting players, probably the ones that support the game the most (except you who owns every single item in all the reps,, lobi fleet, ships, etc, with unlimited income, which is hardly the norm).

The PvP option is better for the "hardcore" to have something to do.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    if you talking a power creep fix you fail. as soon as you said add mk 13 + gear the anti power creep argument flew out the airlock.

now if your talking something new for us to do ok.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd like to think of myself as a baker, not a cookie cutter...is that a paradox?

Anyways, like all games, there are builds that work and builds that don't...with some viable builds being stronger then others.
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    I'd like to think of myself as a baker, not a cookie cutter...is that a paradox?

Anyways, like all games, there are builds that work and builds that don't...with some viable builds being stronger then others.

That is an interesting way of putting it, yeah some builds work, some don't.

I'm not exactly mr DPS, as my builds are defensive in their design as I put survival over firepower.

If a player knows what he or she are doing, STFs are easy, it's often the case in a pug that never happens too often and things go wrong.

This suggestion you got Sarcasmdetector will only make the elitists all the more big headed
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      edited June 2014
      valoreah wrote: »
      And this is why this, and any idea like it, are going to fail. Good luck trying to get anyone on a PUG to communicate and coordinate to run these.

Hence why the hardest runs are best saved for grouping.
    • verline1verline1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      you don't fix power creep by forcing everyone to toe the same over powered line, which also leads to everyone using cookie cutter builds, not that we don't have cookie cutter right now, but its not mandatory in any way, its a choice.

and lets be honest here the weapons and doffs to properly equip most ships are not cheap, sure ec is just time, but that doesn't change that its not cheap to get 2x and 3x acc weapons, or some of the doffs that make aux to bat builds work right.

and chess does not have power creep, it only has x number of variations that can be played. the only power creep one could claim is putting a less skilled and knowledgeable player against a more skilled and knowledgeable one.

the Ai could be made more challenging without adding hp, or even more annoying abilities that arnt challenging just tar pits too slow dps. Eve has done this, spider tanking, target prioritization, so on. but some of it defeats the purpose of tanks. and ultimately its only as challenging as you let it be since you can build groups to fight it easy.

and yes almost all mmos do have power creep to various degrees, but then hard content is added, the creep becomes the bar for doing the new content, and the process starts over till the creep sets in again as new builds with new gear, new min max numbers, and possibly new abilities gets worked out, but even then it hits a point were it maxes out. Sto on the other hand doesn't raise the bar, new content is a sideways move, not a upwards one, but gear, lock boxes, fleet holdings, doffs, traits, even some species traits are all upwards moves.

So we have had a steady but slowly rising player power, with content still built on the same level. what we need isn't a revamp of all the content, but new content that is ramped up as well, which becomes a cycle, players get more powerful, new content, players get that done and more powerful, new content. the only way sideways moves work is if it forces people out of the current min maxed creep builds and into doing things in new ways, but it will lead to the same point.

you also need to consider the issues with this change carefully, the whole point of normal is to ramp people up to elite, yes there are ways to get gear outside of stfs for stfs, but that isn't experience, though to be fair you don't really have to do a normal stf correctly, but then you don't really have to do a elite "correctly" these days. but you need too avoid turning becoming 50 into a wall, pvp already suffers form this a bit, between power creep and skill level just jumping right in is very much going right into the deep end.

essentially what we need is new content that's geared towards the power creep, not the revamp of the exsiting content for force people to toe a build right right off the bat
      edited June 2014
      What we really need is a level cap increase so it can kinda reset itself. The only issue is, if you introduce higher level end-game content, do you keep the original end-game still at level 50? Somes games are able to do this easily because they have a tiered system. However, the way STO's works....unless they made it whereyou had to upgrade rep gear to get MK XII and MK XIV then it would render all previous MK XII gear obsolete.
    • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      Sorry, but I fail to see a 'proper' solution in the OP.

I think a better solution would be to bring back the original STFs and bring them a bit more in line with current ships. Not by simply adding HP and one-shot kills, but with improved AI tactics. As someone pointed out, the devs are capable now, as the new zones (in their first release before whiners got 'em nerfed) demonstrated.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      edited June 2014
      see more and more of the same idea's not bad i might add but none of them would fix the game A.I
      Yes i would agree on the new maps needed for better players..... But honestly i dont want to lose ne of game i play cuz of a bad a.i......

Sorry i am to the point i praise the power wich i call ship builder class.......Power creep is some one that has spent allot of time and money building ships and gear and honestly we should praise these guys for achieveing so much in the game...... not make the game ques more complicated or ne thing like that.

Requireing dps to get in to a map is crazy,
      Makeing ne nerf to ne player system over a bad game A.I is insane honestly we have better targets in the game its other players...... if pvp revamped and was geared more to the mass's and not the few it would bye them time to fix a.i or give us better maps with out hurting player games...

Game A.i. is the problem not the players thats has became a apex player

stop takeing from playe's pass it on
    • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      Sorry i am to the point i praise the power wich i call ship builder class.......Power creep is some one that has spent allot of time and money building ships and gear and honestly we should praise these guys for achieveing so much in the game...... not make the game ques more complicated or ne thing like that.

You realize that the OP is one of those folks? The people rockin' 'n rollin' the DPS? They can only go so far with things the way they are. 1-2 minute runs...1 minute runs...at some point, they just won't be able to go any lower, do any more DPS, and they will have nothing to do...

...unless there is an increase of some sort on the content side, that gives them a new benchmark to test themselves against.
      edited June 2014
      atm ship builder class is keeping the lights on for sto cuz there is no pvp crowd ne more so all they have is the power goodie's to buy atm..... So i don calling these people powercreeps i like the term (ship builder's) we cant stop it we mine as well join em..... till they fix pvp we are not going to get ne targets worth shooting at....... sorry if u fly threew a elite hit some pvp pugs up i bet u find it more challengeing.....

Game a.i is the problem there is no fix for a poor a.i other then pvp....... and then makeing every one op would be best then u would at least get a epic battle from all the time and energy from grinding other then letting gear sit in the bank
    • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      Game a.i is the problem

The game's AI is not the problem. It is the flood of tears that erupts on the forums with each attempt the devs have made at releasing any of the improvements. The game's problem is the players.
      edited June 2014
      You realize that the OP is one of those folks? The people rockin' 'n rollin' the DPS? They can only go so far with things the way they are. 1-2 minute runs...1 minute runs...at some point, they just won't be able to go any lower, do any more DPS, and they will have nothing to do...

...unless there is an increase of some sort on the content side, that gives them a new benchmark to test themselves against.

i now but at one point u become a apex player in your class and u get board well do another toon but honestly u can fix game A.I it would require a complete sto rebuild. but i think if they revamped pvp to meet the mass's needs it would give them someth9ing to do with that op ship

The Devs even siad the A.i is the problem not the players.... and they siad there isnt allot they could do but turn it up a lil more...... so pvp has to be redone and leveled for mass's to enjoy again giveing them a secondary income to help maybe rebuild the a.i
    • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      lol

Power Creep=player power increase as related to the state of the game.

Not a insulting term for an actual player. But it's clear that English is not your first language, so it's a forgivable and actually funny mistake. Hope this helps! :)
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
      edited June 2014
      This suggestion you got Sarcasmdetector will only make the elitists all the more big headed

There is an issue where the casuals are just as big headed right now as the supposed "elitists". Why else would they be championing gimping high performance players to their level of play?
      verline1 wrote: »
      you don't fix power creep by forcing everyone to toe the same over powered line, which also leads to everyone using cookie cutter builds, not that we don't have cookie cutter right now, but its not mandatory in any way, its a choice.

and lets be honest here the weapons and doffs to properly equip most ships are not cheap, sure ec is just time, but that doesn't change that its not cheap to get 2x and 3x acc weapons, or some of the doffs that make aux to bat builds work right.

and chess does not have power creep, it only has x number of variations that can be played. the only power creep one could claim is putting a less skilled and knowledgeable player against a more skilled and knowledgeable one.

the Ai could be made more challenging without adding hp, or even more annoying abilities that arnt challenging just tar pits too slow dps. Eve has done this, spider tanking, target prioritization, so on. but some of it defeats the purpose of tanks. and ultimately its only as challenging as you let it be since you can build groups to fight it easy.

and yes almost all mmos do have power creep to various degrees, but then hard content is added, the creep becomes the bar for doing the new content, and the process starts over till the creep sets in again as new builds with new gear, new min max numbers, and possibly new abilities gets worked out, but even then it hits a point were it maxes out. Sto on the other hand doesn't raise the bar, new content is a sideways move, not a upwards one, but gear, lock boxes, fleet holdings, doffs, traits, even some species traits are all upwards moves.

So we have had a steady but slowly rising player power, with content still built on the same level. what we need isn't a revamp of all the content, but new content that is ramped up as well, which becomes a cycle, players get more powerful, new content, players get that done and more powerful, new content. the only way sideways moves work is if it forces people out of the current min maxed creep builds and into doing things in new ways, but it will lead to the same point.

you also need to consider the issues with this change carefully, the whole point of normal is to ramp people up to elite, yes there are ways to get gear outside of stfs for stfs, but that isn't experience, though to be fair you don't really have to do a normal stf correctly, but then you don't really have to do a elite "correctly" these days. but you need too avoid turning becoming 50 into a wall, pvp already suffers form this a bit, between power creep and skill level just jumping right in is very much going right into the deep end.

essentially what we need is new content that's geared towards the power creep, not the revamp of the exsiting content for force people to toe a build right right off the bat

You aren't disagreeing with me. Very good points.

my suggestion was an example of what can be done. the main point is that we need harder content in this game. we also need rewards that are difficult to obtain and that are worth while.

I don't my suggestion will force everyone to toe the same power line. the existing content will remain in place unchanged. players can still jump into an ISE and do 3k.

All i'm suggesting is adding a new tier of difficulty to existing content and make it so that someone that isn't prepared can't jump into the harder queue right away.

the barrier to get into the harder tier is not insurmountable. it's not just about DPS, you can unlock the gates by using some other teamwork skills like healing, or aggro tanking. players in the game right now are capable of unlocking the new queues within a day.

and you are right, it's not enough to just revamp the old content. we need more new content that is challenging.
    • stonelokistoneloki Member Posts: 304 Arc User
      edited June 2014
      Look what you want here is a solution that's easy for the devs to deal with, said it before adding something completely new, or completely revamping something is going to be a pain in the backside and they are less likely to do it.

Solution, increase the power drain for abilities that run off a2b, or increase cooldown time.

Its extremely easy to code, change a number that's already programmed in the game.

Nothing is taken away from the player, a skill is being changed, that simple.

Doff's are not nerfed or changed.
      2p1n3_by_rainrivermusic-d6fyhfm_zpsemwlec9g.gif
      edited June 2014
      The game's AI is not the problem. It is the flood of tears that erupts on the forums with each attempt the devs have made at releasing any of the improvements. The game's problem is the players.

If the a.i was better they wouldnt be board... talk about lowering players to the level of the a.i every one is board most elite fly bye or they die cuz inpropper level in ques. i find my self with 16 toon all tier 5 in all reps.......... and i have all the set gears too....... the only time i die is in kerrat.... were the op is still alive and well and thank god......only zone i live in kerrat or my fleet base all elite ques are so easy i dont even have to think so in my opion a.i is the biggest issue's