test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Proper Solution to Powercreep

Comments

• cody0893cody0893 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    f2p = power creep. without it theres no game, without it theres no reason to grind and no reason to buy anything.

without new shinies to grind for this game would be uberbad.

i support the idea of the op. every t5 ship in this game can be made to do at least 20k dps, under a ideal set of circumstances they probably could be pushed to 30k.

the op has proven this on many occasions. personally i dont fly bad ships or any non roms so i'll stick to whats actually good.

yes a supporter power creep v power creep yay
    They killed your Alt's now they want your main
    edited June 2014
    Going to tell you all this. ne fix to the power creep that leads to more nerfs will be doom ..... dare i say doom

stop takeing away from players pass it on
  • jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    cody0893 wrote: »
    yes a supporter power creep v power creep yay

definitely wasnt agreeing with anything you could say
    edited June 2014
    definitely wasnt agreeing with anything you could say

you just did read previous post lol
    edited June 2014
    I dont believe the devs feel that the current environment is broken per-se. If somebody wants to stack all their offensive abilities and optimize timings, then that is just players leveraging the system as designed. Players doing less damage in the same queue is just everybody having fun together. I am paraphrasing a couple of dev comments there. I dont think they see it as broken.

I dont believe your proposal would do much except crank the power creep further, separate the players even more, etc.

I believe the power band should be compressed, not stretched out even further. I believe that Diminishing Returns on all skills/damage/resists are the way forward.

out of all the plans other then mine i like this one...... we cant change a.i of npc so the power creep will allways bee there......... if u nerf ne more u will DRASTICALLY EFFECT GAME PLAY
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited June 2014
    And in three years, repeat? Because then the NEW normal will be too easy then?

Great idea. Falls in line with a lot of other MMOs. But ... doesn't do anything about powercreep.

How about we deal with today's issues today instead of worrying about what happens in 3 years time. if done properly you can avoid future problems.

If you've unlocked a way to improve video game AI, you should get off these forums right now. And go make millions with your revolutionary new idea.

Otherwise, NPC AI has been the same dumb AI since Pong.

your snark is uncalled for. if you don't have anything constructive to say then you should probably remain quite.

As for the AI, the capability is already in the game. it doesn't have to anything fancy smart. just have the NPCs use more abilities than they currently do. Voth are capable of using Attack Pattern Delta, Grav Well, Tyken's, Subnuke. Undine and Gorn can sensor jam, etc... how difficult could it be to have the borg use Tactical Team.

I had to stop right here. I can't continue.

Your idea asks the game to lock players out due to DPS. BUT ... and here's the funniest thing about your idea ... the game itself doesn't track DPS.

Outside programs that players use track that.

/sigh

I'm not asking to lock anyone out of anything. The current content is still available for everyone.

It's just a simple merit gate that most players can easily unlock. All it is a simple speed bump that asks players to either DPS, Tank, Heal or something Sciency.

It's very easy to get 20k DPS, it's super easy to aggro tank, it doesn't require any stress to actually heal someone on your team. Stop acting like these are insurmountable obstacles.

and finally: Gorn Mine Field, CCE, Klingon Scout Force... the game DOES track damage and healing. it outputs what it tracks to a text file.

that game created text file is what "outside programs that players use" read, parse, and convert for the players to peruse. if the game couldn't track all that info and provide it for you in a text file, you wouldn't be able to run a parser.
    edited June 2014
    As for the AI, the capability is already in the game. it doesn't have to anything fancy smart. just have the NPCs use more abilities than they currently do. Voth are capable of using Attack Pattern Delta, Grav Well, Tyken's, Subnuke. Undine and Gorn can sensor jam, etc... how difficult could it be to have the borg use Tactical TeAM

I fear that they have turn up the a.i as much as they can, other then there damage and hit points whats my fear is the a.i cant handle even your basic idea wich is good btw but a.i is a major part of the game and probally be hell to over haul it.... further more if the a.i is so bad how would u lower a player to a inferior a.1
    edited June 2014
    the only solution to power creep in pve has to be invole the a.i and i dont think they can do it honestly thats why i siad just go all op lol... with a dodgey npc a.i ne one can beat it and there nothing ne one can do if its in the base code of game... hence why i siad dont take away from players for a a.i system thats is clearly under powered and force customers to dum down to bad a.i will fustrate more players more then ne other power creep out there
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would love to see a lot of the NPC`s get a super buffed to high heaven Feed back pulse ability. It would be hilarious seeing lots of players using Bfaw rip themselves apart as they slam their spacebars:eek::P

Add in Tac team and a major Feed back pulse power and a RSP for good measure - yes that would actually help out a lot.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's a tough sell to offer something for the DPS folks at this point...though Cryptic risks losing them with nothing left to do on the horizon. But yeah, there have been more than a few threads of late from some of the folks out there asking for things to be made even easier - so the thought of even speedbumps is likely to set them off.

With the Crafting Revamp thing they're talking about looking like another avenue into the powercreep...meh...

...I like the idea, just not sure how one could effectively gauge certain aspects because of the potential to game the system to get around it - and - what that would mean in the end for those that would be trying to enjoy the content only to have the same thing that happens now happen.

Meh, we'll all just have to wait to see what happens one way or the other.
    edited June 2014
    I would love to see a lot of the NPC`s get a super buffed to high heaven Feed back pulse ability. It would be hilarious seeing lots of players using Bfaw rip themselves apart as they slam their spacebars:eek::P

Add in Tac team and a major Feed back pulse power and a RSP for good measure - yes that would actually help out a lot.

iwant to watch that npc battle lol
    edited June 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »

The STFS arnt weak ....we are over powered in power

this is splitting hairs, is the glass half empty or half full?

The solution? you either make the STFs stronger, or you make players weaker.
    edited June 2014
    this is splitting hairs, is the glass half empty or half full?

The solution? you either make the STFs stronger, or you make players weaker.

true statement here, very true real talk. i say make the game harder players lost enuff and only way for that to happen is with a harder elite class... with npc a.i being what it is . this good start is all we could do...... for very skilled players atm or we could nerf all of are fellow players as a paying player i think nerfing the player isnt right ne more
    edited June 2014
    Making harder STFs isn't a solution to powercreep (aka not solving powercreep) it's a response (capitulation?) to it.

No. weakening or taking away from players things they have invested in a the cowardly way to deal with it.

It's an RPG, powercreep is fundamental part of it. The games needs to keep progressing, players need to keep improving their characters otherwise boredom sets it. it already has for a lot of players who's only reason for logging in now is to chat and play space barbie.

The solution to power creep is keep the challenge level of the game on par with the performance level of the players. STO does not do this well, it's this games most glaring flaw.

Seriously you'd be very hard pressed to find any game that doesn't have powercreep. even CHESS has powercreep.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    true statement here, very true real talk. i say make the game harder players lost enuff and only way for that to happen is with a harder elite class... with npc aibeing what it is . this good start is all we could do...... for very skilled players atm

I are you running your native tongue through Google translator, then back your language and back to English?

This is like...professor caveman speech...
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No. weakening or taking away from players things they have invested in a the cowardly way to deal with it.

It's an RPG, powercreep is fundamental part of it. The games needs to keep progressing, players need to keep improving their characters otherwise boredom sets it. it already has for a lot of players who's only reason for logging in now is to chat and play space barbie.

The solution to power creep is keep the challenge level of the game on par with the performance level of the players. STO does not do this well, it's this games most glaring flaw.

Seriously you'd be very hard pressed to find any game that doesn't have powercreep. even CHESS has powercreep.

Tiered progression is a very hard thing to implement. Everyone wants the best gear but you have to grind your way up the lower tiers to just have a shot in the new instance. This is how I prefer my games though...the merry go lucky way if picking up loot is ok but it leaves you feeling empty how easy it is
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
    edited June 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    Tiered progression is a very hard thing to implement. Everyone wants the best gear but you have to grind your way up the lower tiers to just have a shot in the new instance. This is how I prefer my games though...the merry go lucky way if picking up loot is ok but it leaves you feeling empty how easy it is

This is what i am suggesting.
    edited June 2014
    I are you running your native tongue through Google translator, then back your language and back to English?

This is like...professor caveman speech...

i m on my s5 at work sorry
    edited June 2014

For the record we have same argueing points i argued that power creep is needed...... and nerfing players for a bad npc a.i is poor business
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

5. ???

6. Profit.

Go back to WOW and stay there.
  • stardate336914stardate336914 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This doesn't fix power creep at all, it's just a new form of power creep.

Things that actually might help.
    -Stacking penalties
    -Accuracy/evasion overhaul
    -Revamp skills to better reflect roles and ship builds
    -A rebalance of resistance systems to more appropriately limit a power creep
    Just to name a few

Will these happen? No, cause as much as people complain it's the people who love the power creep that pay the bills tbh.
    edited June 2014
    there is no controlling powercreep. it's a fundamental requirement of RPGs.

the solution to excessive powercreep, however, is to make sure the content difficulty/challenge is on par with player performance.

Currently there is no content tailored for high performance players. that does not mean that these players should be nerfed. that isn't balance, that is spite.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Honestly, if they do a level cap increase, hopefully that helps reset us some. Since the enemy stats will be much higher than what our MK XII gear is used too.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    there is no controlling powercreep. it's a fundamental requirement of RPGs.

the solution to excessive powercreep, however, is to make sure the content difficulty/challenge is on par with player performance.

Currently there is no content tailored for high performance players. that does not mean that these players should be nerfed. that isn't balance, that is spite.

Cryptic might hire you if you think nerfing is the answer to every problem :P
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    people really want cryptic trying to change the classic stf missions? just think about how that would most likely end...
    this is cryptic after all.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited June 2014

your not thinking this thru to the end

Excessive power is what make the elite powerful .....cannons and beams so OP compared to torpedos

new players wont be able to afford the plasmonic leach they have little power and do little dps
    Elite warp cores....moar power
    Doffs adding Moar power
    consoles MOar power

e cant keep making the gap larger between those with the best candy and the new without no candy at all

if you do pugs without fleet and friends you will see a large amount of people doing pitiful dps

making the STF's harder isnt going to help them is it

it would be in the better interest of the game to make the elite weaker not the weak weker
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited June 2014
    sir i am sorry nerfing a player or a elite power player for a weaker is really bad bussiness........ i spent thousands of real money on my gameing exp...... and u want to nerf me cuz u dont want to grind like i did it took years to acumulate the toons and the gear i have and others have....... they have had enough nerf's........period takeing away from veterans has led to situation we are in in the first place...... pvp died loss of revenue
    rp. is fun but mostly done bye the free to play and most while i respec grind they dont spend

( i.e power creep) = ship builder that person who spent years buying doffs and acumulateing gear just finally to be a apex player to have some lazy self intitle player tell me i am a power creep is rude and out landish this is star trek........ the ships were apost to be god like....... hence the prime directive

nerfing players and takeing and takeing for what u guys killed pvp with nerfs....... yes i would agree a new elite que is needed and i am sorry if you cant live threw a elite map maybe you shouldnt play them till you are ready... crawl before you walk remeber..

Enough is enough stop takeing away from player pass it on
    edited June 2014
    and the gap mention bye same poster is gettting worse cuz the players are getting lazier and or cheaper
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sir i am sorry nerfing a player or a elite power player for a weaker is really bad bussiness........ i spent thousands of real money on my gameing exp...... and u want to nerf me cuz u dont want to grind like i did it took years to acumulate the toons and the gear i have and others have....... they have had enough nerf's........period takeing away from veterans has led to situation we are in in the first place...... pvp died loss of revenue
    rp. is fun but mostly done bye the free to play and most while i respec grind they dont spend

( i.e power creep) = ship builder that person who spent years buying doffs and acumulateing gear just finally to be a apex player to have some lazy self intitle player tell me i am a power creep is rude and out landish this is star trek........ the ships were apost to be god like....... hence the prime directive

nerfing players and takeing and takeing for what u guys killed pvp with nerfs....... yes i would agree a new elite que is needed and i am sorry if you cant live threw a elite map maybe you shouldnt play them till you are ready... crawl before you walk remeber..

Enough is enough stop takeing away from player pass it on

You, the consumer, run the risk of items being changed at anytime during the game. You chose to spend thousands.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited June 2014
    not the point thou.... you take away from the best and the most loyalist customer for one that will grind everything..........see u got to remeber all the sub players enough with all the g.d nerfs over what npc a.i failure so u want to nerf a player that spent money on your npc ai.i failure right.... if there are ne more nerfs watch another 20 percent in drop in log in's no content and nerfs for all i bet that sales some ships