test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Cool story to go along with the new system. Love how they are showing why they did it. Instead of here something new to replace the old. And no reason. This really helps with the story progression.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Disenchanting perhaps? Or "reverse engineering" to get parts from uncommons and up that are bound and cannot be sold or traded?

I'm loving this suggestion.

I'm also highly curious about their particle trace revamp. Wonder how that's gonna work for the accolade too.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah one game that is censored in these forums has the worst crafting system ever. I just hope its not like that one where you need like about 5000+ requirements for an object just for a small chance that you can craft what you want. Although crafting does need to be revamped it hasn't changed at all since I first started here back almost around 3.5 years ago. Although I hope they don't make stuff like they did with the kling harg'peng where its character bound to the crafter once its made lol.
    blizzard loves to make geometric crafting... like the Zod Rune.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • fourbearstandingfourbearstanding Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why not tie crafting in the fleet star bases and other fleet joint parts of the game . resources found threw out the game. allow us to build sci, eng, tac consoles , engines , weapons, warp cores, deflectors, shields with attributes.allow builds to add console slot to ship design these are just few ideas I would like to see in game and yes allow us to sell the things we make on the exchange for Ec or for dilthuim
    thanks for reading
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    rob2485 wrote: »
    Well, I think they screwed the story because ESD gets attacked after we complete all story missions and level our toon. Some of my fleet mates and I were talking this over after being very over ecstatic about the latest mission.

What they should do is have the old ESD map for all new toons whether or not they are alternates or new players. Why spoil the story with the instant access to the new ESD and then see its destruction being the old map in the Episode.

The story is great and the mission was awesome but I think Cryptic fumbled the ball there.

I agree about this Guild wars was a prime example before you had a map where you could explore when the city in it was all bult then after you did a certain mission it was destroyed and it continued from there, For someone who hasn't played Surface Tension all the way through we would like to see ESD the way it was. As I hate this greenhouse look. Also new players will be confused when they see ESD destroyed later on.

In regards to the points raised in season 9.5 (Seriously are we only realeasing half seasons now?)
    regarding Crafting i believe this will be another rep system and for someone who grinded at Memory alpha to get the Aegis enginesin game makes me believe this will be all another grind fest with possible one new story mission so all in all seaon 9.5 just makes me think "meh" rather than say that sounds cool.

So cryptic prove me wrong make me and some of the others who left in Season 9 want to play again.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    So regardless of your reshearch progrees, we will all be reset, huh..?

Well... should have known the time was wasted.

my concern as well

We’re going to wipe away everything that came before

I was about 50% thrugh crafting and stopped about 3 years ago, still would like SOME credit for the invested currencies and time....
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So this means that the Westfield Galleria Hotel, Resort, and Marketplace at ESD is offically opened for business?
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kintisho wrote: »
    my concern as well

We’re going to wipe away everything that came before

I was about 50% thrugh crafting and stopped about 3 years ago, still would like SOME credit for the invested currencies and time....

Wait, all current crafting progress is being wiped? Is this a fact? or just forum speculation?

I would sure hope not.

I'm also hoping that the crafting revamp doesn't heavily rely on the chance roll of the dice mechanic. I'm getting tired of everything having a "chance" of doing something/anything.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Maybe if the Humans didn't spend so much time refitting Tholian, Undine and Elachi ships they wouldn't have be playing catch up.

It's not just Humans refitting these ships. Every faction has access to em ;)
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Always good to see a bit of storytelling going on in the dev blogs - it's nice to see there's more happening in the STO universe than the story missions!

The real question now is whether or not "advancing the curve" means advancing to gear that's still worse than Fleet/Rep stuff... ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • startrek7771414startrek7771414 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Are we going to be able to use all the stuff we already have?
    Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen.......
  • theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    They will probably wipe peoples' crafting progress just to put everyone on an even footing. And those of us who are more dedicated to crafting will be able to max out quicker and (hopefully) make a profit off the new stuff. I like the pathed crafting idea, but it needs to be account-based paths (dare I say account-based crafting skill? I.e. your alts all gain access to the specialization you choose AND NO OTHER, that way any alt can craft, but if you want something crafted out of your specialization, you gotta buy it. Keeps the market under some semblence of control.)

I've said it before. There is exactly 1 item in the current crafting system that's profitable to make. And the investment to get to where you can make that means you have to make 8 or 9 of them to break even.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    Aegis Set Mk XII

BLING FTW !!! :D

As to everything else ... -- having learned my lessons , I only allow myself to be modestly curious .

Back in the day I loved crafting , and I also loved the economy around crafting (buy/sell/trade/gift) .

The point I'm wondering about is how this will impact the game's super inflated EC economy ?
  • draogndraogn Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So we are going to be using duty officers to do all the crafting? That sounds like they are adapting Neverwinters crafting system for STO. As long as we can get all the supplies in game, versus having to buy packs from the Z-store which have a random chance at having something useful, it should work.
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As semi RP player I must say that I really appreciate that you make story background for change in game mechanic.
  • tardes13tardes13 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The main concern is that if crafting stays as expensive as it is (or even more), people won't afford to do it ...

With so much sharing between factions, at least they could drop the price on low level items, allowing new players to craft their own gear for cheap.

Hmm, thinking about the tech sharing some more ...

It would be interesting if you could craft Phased Disruptive Plasmas or something like that :D

I really like Memory Alpha, it would be a shame to kill it.
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    From the last thing we heard from geko they *might* be doing away with the whole memory alpha. Most likely what will happen if they do that something like our counter command in dyson sphere or some other new place we have as a HQ will be the spot or you can do it on faction homeworlds(ESD, Qo'nos, New Romulus or whatever expansion 2 has in store). My best guess is that this will be a new mold basically stuff we already have will become obsolete until crafting is outclassed in some other fashion.

Crafting on our ships!! MAKE IT SO.

EDIT: By which I meant, picking up the crafting missions in the various sections of our ship rather than crafting our ships, although that would be cool too. It would be a shame to get rid of memory alpha though seeing as it's the only planet with anything resembling sidequests. Was gutted when I was starting out and got to other planets to find none of them had any missions like the little ones there you got from the ferengis and O'Briens son.
  • solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tardes13 wrote: »
    It would be interesting if you could craft Phased Disruptive Plasmas or something like that :D
    Maybe Starfleet will finally build that plasma phaser they've been designing 43 years ago.
  • mistressbenihimemistressbenihime Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We’re going to wipe away everything that came before – everything the Undine know – and start fresh. We’ll have new technology and new options. We’ll open up R&D to captains who haven’t worked with it before and see what they can do.
    this leads me to assume that all previous progression in the old system is going to be wiped away. as someone who spent time in getting far enough in it to be able to craft all items in the old system i am not very happy about that.
    it would be nice if those who did got a little reward for that.

now the old system was barely useful it's just for the aegis set and even that shows it age when compared to reputation system set we can have now. it's defiantly due for a major overhaul regardless of cost.
    In this release, the STO dev team has completely reworked every element of crafting in the game. We started by looking at how crafting materials are acquired. While you will still be able to harvest in missions, we are introducing more ways to earn valuable materials(1). We moved on through the whole process of crafting, introducing multiple schools for captains to level up in(2), a new user interface, and even new abilities for crafted gear that are not found in dropped loot(3). Since duty officers play a part in this new crafting system(4), we also took the time to give a facelift to duty officer user interface.

now in this first post i read a lot of positive things. well get more diverse game-play(1). that great because that make the whole process of gathering materials much less repetitive.
    multiple paths of progression(2). most likely more of the same though i welcome it because it will likely lead to a more diverse pool of crafted items.
    unique crafting only gear(3). this is necessary to make crafting matter if all you can get is also obtainable from drops crafting doesn't matter. there is however one thing if the things to note is that if the items are sub-par they still don't matter. we need these items to be mk12 purples and have the unique abilities be useful. if not than crafting is just a gimmick.
    the inclusion of the Doff-system(4). something i have advocated for a long time. including the Doff-system will allow cryptic to time gate much more effectively. right now because of the Unreplicateable Materials it's done whit dilithium (the main game currency). the crafting system is supposed to be free of (the main) currency. it's supposed to be time and effort based. this also gives me hope that we can do it from our ships instead of being forced to a location like memory alpha.
    besides in the episodes its mostly the crew that assemble the devices anyway so involving the Doff-system makes its more right flavor wise.
    THE NEW CRAFTING SYSTEM IS TERRA-BAD
    First of all it's not even a crafting system! It's just a dumb game system that's nothing more than a glorified slots machine.
    second the "special items" you hope will be the saving the saving grace are messed up to.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am hoping this isn't just isn't a bigger sink to get the same already dated gear that exists in the current system. When the crafting system was changed the last time, all they added were those things that required DL and EC that just added a major sink to crafting. That sink further made crafting a waste of time and steered more players away from the whole crafting system.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • nativejoenativejoe Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    This... this would be epic.

What are the odds though? ;_;

High if they could charge you 5000 zen per piece
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nativejoe wrote: »
    I wouldn't go THAT far. Especially for STO.

Maybe if it was PWI.
  • fallengod60fallengod60 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i say first of all
    fix the acollade for the omega tailor
    i have already honor guard acollad since it bug i cant get talior
    the rest of the omega tailor2,3,4
  • jnohdjnohd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Here's hoping for a Fleet crafting holding... Everything else is filled or is nearly filled!

:D
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nativejoe wrote: »
    Assuming the new crafting will resemble current duty officer assignments, they could make an assignment that requires 1 fleetship module as input and rewards a ship only on critical success; with crit chance capped somewhere around 10-20%. Normal success would have to reward something worthwhile, maybe 50-100k dil, to get people to risk an FSM on it.
  • mistressbenihimemistressbenihime Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    solemkof wrote: »
    Assuming the new crafting will resemble current duty officer assignments, they could make an assignment that requires 1 fleetship module as input and rewards a ship only on critical success; with crit chance capped somewhere around 10-20%. Normal success would have to reward something worthwhile, maybe 50-100k dil, to get people to risk an FSM on it.

anything chance related has no place in crafting. i applaud them for deciding to use the Doff-system in some way. in the end you either know what you make or not there is no chance involved. if you require something from the c-store to craft an item then why not sell the item in the c-store?
    THE NEW CRAFTING SYSTEM IS TERRA-BAD
    First of all it's not even a crafting system! It's just a dumb game system that's nothing more than a glorified slots machine.
    second the "special items" you hope will be the saving the saving grace are messed up to.
  • agnidragon85agnidragon85 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If they reset my maxed crafting level to 1, I will be really pissed...and so will tons of other people who have also maxed out their crafting levels.

Nuff said...
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Given peoples hopes and the Devs previous comments I am vaguely reassured by the crafting revamp. Sure we will still have very high dilithium costs which is likely unavoidable but the potential is too great to be ignored.

People wish the weapons to be more kit like in that they can craft mods but the devs want it to be a bit of a sink. Well this seems a reasonable thing as likely I would not be surprised if we were able to craft a base class of weapon (DHC, DBB, etc) which on being crafted is likely to be 'fused' to a home vessel in order to reduce costs of it, and then we are able to research modules which can be slotted to change characteristics of the weapon. I don't think the devs would just stop at the mods being [acc][dmg] etc but would also include a damage type mod such as proton, plasma and disruptor etc.

The system would then give them an infinitely expandable range of weapon types for future use as each new damage type would be craftable through the rep system tiers as they get introduced. It would also work similarly well for other equipment as ships can be tailored to specific roles. Only trouble with this though is we are likely to lose our nice weapon rewards from mission replays and just get weapon mods instead so we will need to craft a weapon first.

Only a shame we cant craft our pleasure park decks on our Risian cruisers :(

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles