test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That blog post was terrible, I'd rather have no blog post for today than get THIS.
    This is why we can't have nice things.
  • strorusstrorus Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wouldn't it be great if the Final R&D reward was one of 3 ships that through the R&D system you could almost build from the ground up.

There would be a number of ship templates for each faction (ie Sci, Eng & Tac) and you then R&D'ed any customisations, skins, each component (ie Warp core etc) for that ship. :D
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    strorus wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if the Final R&D reward was one of 3 ships that through the R&D system you could almost build from the ground up.

There would be a number of ship templates for each faction (ie Sci, Eng & Tac) and you then R&D'ed any customisations, skins, each component (ie Warp core etc) for that ship. :D
    This... this would be epic.

What are the odds though? ;_;
  • blackblackwyrmblackblackwyrm Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's been a good long while since I've seen Jenna or Zara. When I first came to this game over two years ago, I spent SO much time at Memory Alpha. It's nice to see them again.

As far as what the revamp offers, new ships would be nice, but I expect it will be gear we don't already have access to. Possibly secondary deflectors. There might also be an update to the Aegis set as well. All in all, nothing but good can come from this.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Having read both Dev Blogs #24 and #25, I suspect these were one blog split to create two. Together, they make a perfect teaser. Story portion to open with D'Angelo to close. I would have remained silent on Monday. Sending these out as one blog for Tuesday. But that's just me. :P
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • nyx219nyx219 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I can't wait to see what's been done with crafting. I love crafting at Memory Alpha for the atmosphere there alone, but the crafting itself is pretty much useless. I craft for the EC, not because there's anything useful for me to make. For that reason, I'm looking forward to seeing how the rewards revamp plays out.

However, I hope this whole revamp doesn't mean the removal of Memory Alpha as a crafting place, because that would seriously suck big time to lose it. Crafting up a few things in your ship's science lab & engineering is one thing, a potential crafting spot on a station somewhere is one thing, a crafting tab in the UI is one thing, but removing the facility itself would remove the one spot that really nails the whole crafting experience.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    psiameese wrote: »
    Having read both Dev Blogs #24 and #25, I suspect these were one blog split to create two. Together, they make a perfect teaser. Story portion to open with D'Angelo to close. I would have remained silent on Monday. Sending these out as one blog for Tuesday. But that's just me. :P

Well, that's kind of the thing...there's the EP blog, there's a story blog, there might be more story blogs, there will be dev blogs...and all in all, it will work out pretty neat. It's what they do.

There are some folks out there...well...yeah, anyway - they want their special snow globe before they even think to log into the game.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    "We’re going to wipe away everything that came before" so I guess that means your skill level will be reset to Zero and we need to start fresh. Wonder if the materials we collected so far will have any use or will those also be recycled in the new system?

A couple weeks/months ago D'Angelo speculated that all of the current particles and traces and all of that might possibly be converted into a new set of data samples, or reduced to fewer types because there are currently too many (redx3, bluex3, orangex3, greenx3, violetx3, another shade of violetx3, traces, etc. etc.). So instead of having a bazillion data sample types, they might convert the reds and the blues into one new type, the greens and violets into a second, the other violet and the orange into a third, and the traces into a fourth. So anything in your inventory/bank gets converted into stacks of the new stuff.

Again, this was just him sort of thinking out loud about one possibility. He also speculated that any current investment in crafting skill would get you at least a partial advancement in the new system so you're not starting at crafting level 0 in the new system. All of that is subject to change and caveat warnings of course.

Realistically, I expect it to be like the old dilithium conversion. Somebody somewhere is gonna get screwed, possibly me as I'm sitting on 1k stacks of every particle type that I've collected since 2011.

The Aegis set had better still be obtainable after this revamp. Even better if it can finally be given some sort of enhancement. I wonder if the craftable items on Defera will be updated along with this new system or if they'll be forgotten along the wayside.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "I’m sending the full details via courier. It’s too sensitive to send over subspace. Zara should arrive at ESD sometime in the next twelve hours, and she can brief you on our project."

So Zara is taking E'genn's spot I presume?
    That explains part of why the Crafting revamp seemed to take so long. You guys wanted to release it at the right time to coincide with what you did with Season 9. I approve from a story stand point!
    I concur.
    While I'm not one of them, there are folks that enjoy the RPG aspect of STO being a MMORPG...and such things like this, well - makes them happy. I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy, but I'm not going to begrudge Cryptic for showing some love to a part of their community...

...there's plenty of other things for me to begrudge them about. ;)
    I am one of them and I appreciate the seasoning.
    A couple weeks/months ago D'Angelo speculated that all of the current particles and traces and all of that might possibly be converted into a new set of data samples, or reduced to fewer types because there are currently too many (redx3, bluex3, orangex3, greenx3, violetx3, another shade of violetx3, traces, etc. etc.). So instead of having a bazillion data sample types, they might convert the reds and the blues into one new type, the greens and violets into a second, the other violet and the orange into a third, and the traces into a fourth. So anything in your inventory/bank gets converted into stacks of the new stuff.

Again, this was just him sort of thinking out loud about one possibility. He also speculated that any current investment in crafting skill would get you at least a partial advancement in the new system so you're not starting at crafting level 0 in the new system. All of that is subject to change and caveat warnings of course.

Realistically, I expect it to be like the old dilithium conversion. Somebody somewhere is gonna get screwed, possibly me as I'm sitting on 1k stacks of every particle type that I've collected since 2011.

The Aegis set had better still be obtainable after this revamp. Even better if it can finally be given some sort of enhancement. I wonder if the craftable items on Defera will be updated along with this new system or if they'll be forgotten along the wayside.

That makes sense.

But cross your fingers and say it with me. Mk XII Aegis Set.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    While the blog was entertaining story wise, I am disappointed we're not getting more information. Guess that's a Wednesday or Thursday blog. Still though, nice working it into the storyline.

Though it is interesting that the person central to it (Zara) is not a member of any group. So maybe we're going to get a new planet/base(map) for this? About the only thing I can see.
  • captainpurplecaptainpurple Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've always enjoyed crafting in all the MMO's I've played. I like crafting as much as I like the rest of the game. Unfortunately, it's been useless for a while on STO. I don't think I've made more than a handful of items in the last two years since all the top end gear was moved to the reputation tiers. I have two toons completely maxed out (maxed them out two years ago) and craft nothing with them since there's hardly anything worth crafting these days. Unecessary to work the skill up on any other toon - it's the same stuff that I don't need to make. And the introduction of requiring dilithium for crafting has made the profession dead to me.

So here's to hoping the re-vamp is good. I'm cautiously excited, but not going to expect anything epic. I'm honestly half expecting another required currency like dilithium (or in addition to dilithium) that will not entice me to return to the crafting profession.

And I hope the place to acquire data samples or whatever the new materials are will be more accessible. I don't think a zillion people in the nebulae farming limited data sample nodes again will be helpful.
    free jkname
    bergins wrote:
    "General Server Stability" means they are bolting the servers to the floor, right? Wouldn't you be upset if Branflakes were to go stumbling into the server room, knock a rack over, and bring the game down for a DAY? SO, they aren't scrwing it up, they are bolting it down.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited June 2014
    Aegis Set Mk XII

3pc set bonus
    * removes phaser lockout period and grants +30% phaser damage

:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    I have to say I rather like using in game lore reasons for revamps.

This.

Since there wouldn't have been a blog with details anyway, I'm glad we get some game lore. Was kinda scarce as of late.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Does this mean everyone's progress in R&D gets reset? Or do the people who had already maxed it out get something special?
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Dare I say out loud : Mark 13 Gear??:eek:
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I hope in many useable items which are f.e. in lobi store now like transwarp coils , resistance hypos and tachyon grenades (not to many ppl using lobi for consumable items, i was on a lot of ground mission and i never seen any of them) and another nice devices like deuterium surplus, dual batteries or buffed satellite turrets. Some of the items that are sold poorly in the Z-store may be moved to crafting.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'll own up to being cautiously optimistic, overall... crafting really has needed a revamp for a long, long time, and the mere fact that the devs have been working on it is grounds for optimism.

Will look forward to seeing how it works in practice... but I do hope those of us who did plough through the crafting system don't get too badly stitched up in the conversion process. (Is this a good time to use up my stock of unreplicateable materials, for instance?)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Cool flavor text. Thanks.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thank you for the writeup.

It doesn't really provide much information, but it was quite enjoyable from a storytelling/context point of view.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Maybe if the Humans didn't spend so much time refitting Tholian, Undine and Elachi ships they wouldn't have be playing catch up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordmetreonlordmetreon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Personally, I'm all for this if the new system is well implemented. The old crafting system is something of an anachronism. The sole unique/useful items obtainable from it is the Aegis set, which is one of the best things to get soon after starting out. But even that has had its endgame uses largely supplanted by the glut of fleet and rep gear.

In short, "regular" gear from R&D have either been obsoleted by better fleet/rep gear or vastly out-priced by the Exchange- in some cases, both.

I'd like to see more unique items available- perhaps (as someone mentioned above) less-popular Lobi items added. Further, there are some cool things from the game's early days that could be added. Maybe some of the "specially-marked box" stuff from way back when like the TR-116A or the Red Matter Capacitor. Perhaps even some decent gear only obtainable by crafting.

Whatever comes will likely be better than what it's replacing. I look forward to giving it a spin. The worst that can happen is that I won't use it, which is exactly how the old system stands for me now.
  • madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Cryptic always does crafting bad. They ruined Champions when they "fixed" it. Everyone I know like 150 player supergroup quit. Neverwinter did it bad too. If any of the crafting items are better than rep stuff then I might as well give up now. Plus you people will sell this stuff on the exchange for unreasonable prices that cryptic never investigates.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I never did R&D stuff for the game. Never thought it was needed. It just seemed tedious just so you can get the Aegis stuff. Whee.

If things end up being great here, I wouldn't mind seeing how it goes.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Please, for the love of all that is good, do away with the Unreplicateable Materials. That's what killed crafting to begin with. Preferably, I'd rather not see dilitium attached to crafting. However, if you must, just make it a direct dilitium cost, like you did with the reps.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
    edited June 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I think I see your problem, Jenna. You guys were using obsolete technology instead of using reputation gear. No wonder ESD was blown up so easily.
    If they had used the Aegis set Spacedock would've stayed in one piece.
    While the blog was entertaining story wise, I am disappointed we're not getting more information. Guess that's a Wednesday or Thursday blog. Still though, nice working it into the storyline.

Though it is interesting that the person central to it (Zara) is not a member of any group. So maybe we're going to get a new planet/base(map) for this? About the only thing I can see.
    Well they said in the first blog that this was going to be over several weeks.
    Maybe if the Humans didn't spend so much time refitting Tholian, Undine and Elachi ships they wouldn't have be playing catch up.

Well maybe we would've had more time if we weren't helping you not blow your new planet up. :rolleyes:
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • yellowalertyellowalert Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Disenchanting perhaps? Or "reverse engineering" to get parts from uncommons and up that are bound and cannot be sold or traded?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Cool story to go along with the new system. Love how they are showing why they did it. Instead of here something new to replace the old. And no reason. This really helps with the story progression.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I sure hope not, it's bad enough getting there from Sol as a new player.

I think they should add a transwarp option to Memory Alpha with the revamp of crafting.

Hell, with all that "advanced" technology at the facility, it would make sense they would have an Iconian knock off gate in orbit no?
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

edited June 2014
    Disenchanting perhaps? Or "reverse engineering" to get parts from uncommons and up that are bound and cannot be sold or traded?

I'm loving this suggestion.

I'm also highly curious about their particle trace revamp. Wonder how that's gonna work for the accolade too.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah one game that is censored in these forums has the worst crafting system ever. I just hope its not like that one where you need like about 5000+ requirements for an object just for a small chance that you can craft what you want. Although crafting does need to be revamped it hasn't changed at all since I first started here back almost around 3.5 years ago. Although I hope they don't make stuff like they did with the kling harg'peng where its character bound to the crafter once its made lol.
    blizzard loves to make geometric crafting... like the Zod Rune.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg