test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

HUGE CHARACTER NEWS!! New heads & complexions!!

Comments

• Options
    juganda47juganda47 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    alaerick wrote: »
    You all are doing a good job on this.
    Indeed.
    1. 3 completely new face textures and 3 completely new models for females (resulting 25 combinations for "standard age" and 40 overall AFAIR)
    2. New faces for males too ;)
    3. Muscle and skeleton model looks far better now (oh the ribs! I want to tickle them!)
    4. Skin texture which looks like real skin and not some silicone-rubber coating.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    thehavraha wrote: »
    2. As a player with a character who is a red head, I was depressed to find that I still didn't have a fittingly freckled complexion. Yes, there is a complexion that has 4 or 5 freckles, but I would like to think that people like this still exist in the future -- http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/7c/b7/70/7cb770a7f0ec9aaa84b93eb2b7e9547f.jpg

Idle thought... rather than creating a "freckled face" option, couldn't they add freckles to the scars and tattoos selection?

That would open up the possibility of coloration for light or dark freckles as well as the ability to make them bigger, wouldn't it? They could even be red colored for that pimple-y look. And might that not be easier to extend to non-human/alien faces?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As for the comments about the new body textures - that wasn't part of the intended announcement (again, a better title would have helped :) ), but we have read your feedback and are evaluating it.

Thanks for listening.
    At the very least give us a toggle option please, so that if flat out reverting is not an option, those of that that preferr the old body textures still have a choice. ;)
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Considering the options more than doubled from 2 head shapes and ~2-3 non-"aged" complexions, yes, that's pretty effing huge and Cryptic and many of the players are excited for it.

"Should have been done 3 years ago" is such a loaded and ill-informed statement that I can't even begin to get into it, but having been without those options for that long is just another cause for excitement.

FYI, posting on these forums isn't part of my job description - I don't have to do it. I do it because I care about the game and so that people that also care about this game can give us direct feedback. In the grand scheme of things, there aren't that many games that players can so directly be heard and have changes made to the game they're playing.

So my recommendation (again) is that all comments are clear, relevant, and constructive.

That said, maybe my subject line was too open ended and I should have said "Huge facial customization news!" to give a better framework for the announcement.

As for the comments about the new body textures - that wasn't part of the intended announcement (again, a better title would have helped :) ), but we have read your feedback and are evaluating it.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Thank you for your reply, trust me it's much appreciated. I don't mean to poke and prod but certainly you can see where people their concerns are coming from? All I'd personally like is that one of the artists just fixes up the odd ribcages a bit and honestly, the rest of the changes we'll be able to live with. Will take some plastic surgery but hey, that's the least of our worries :)
  • Options
    crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Anyone from the CDF want to step in and explain to this person that Cryptic Joey is a facial artist, and not a ribcage artist?

They probably know that the rib cage is, in fact, part of character art: http://www.fitnationpt.com/anatomy.gif

As are alien species and uniforms as pointed out by others.

Hope that helps, capn.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Well the Orion Navel piercing is now at the wrong place, too high up.

Yeah, we saw the comments on that - def a good catch and we will fix that for sure.

As for the requests for sliders, those too have been mentioned in other threads and that's something that is also possible and desirable from our end at some point.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Idle thought... rather than creating a "freckled face" option, couldn't they add freckles to the scars and tattoos selection?

That would open up the possibility of coloration for light or dark freckles as well as the ability to make them bigger, wouldn't it? They could even be red colored for that pimple-y look. And might that not be easier to extend to non-human/alien faces?

I like this idea, bluegeek.

My initial thought was it would be weird that you'd be able to color them any color available to tattoos/scars. But I suppose that's a plus if you wanted even non-human skin-toned species to have freckles like you implied.
  • Options
    jenkaljenkal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey, I have to say that your character construct options are probably the best in the world, honest... And I've played many, many MMOs. I just have one question... Do you guys see anything weird with the elbows of characters when they are bent in the walking position (the light jog, not running or normally walking)? The arms seem to bend in a really strange way. Is it just me? I've tried to adjust arm lenghth and size, but it just doesn't make a difference.
  • Options
    darknessmutadarknessmuta Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, we saw the comments on that - def a good catch and we will fix that for sure.

As for the requests for sliders, those too have been mentioned in other threads and that's something that is also possible and desirable from our end at some point.

How about adding body textures for stuff like the Infected skin? I just recently unlocked the Remans via the Rep system and was pleasantly surprised to see they had body textures since none of the complexions aliens can pick seem to have body textures to match the skin patterns.
  • Options
    buommanbuomman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am liking the new looks.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The new heads are fantastic, the body textures less so. :(
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well I'm honestly quite depressed.... now that my characters faces have been completely messed up by this update. :(

Honestly I don't even see why I should bother anymore with truly trying to customize my characters facial features, seeing as how they are inevitably going to end up getting changed anyway.

This is the second time in less than a year that they have been messed up, but at least the first time Cryptic was prudent enough to revert the changes.

Honestly NOT cool.
    Ok if you want to expand on the options, but you just simply do not go and change existing characters that players have poured hours of their time into in this manner, its not ok.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w671/bandoswarrior/ruinedcharacter_zps2eef7329.jpg

- Forehead has been greatly enlarged.
    - Face is overall wider.
    - Mouth is smaller
    - cheecks and jawbones have had their proportions altered.
    - Chin has been enlarged.
    - Nose appears shorter

These are not minor details, this is a major alteration of the characters appearance.
    And the worst part is no matter how I play and fiddle with the sliders, I cannot make my characters look exactly as they used to anymore.
    I would like my old character faces back please.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think the new body model is an improvement, but it does need further tweaking.

The textures looked wrong to me until I turned off the new "Cinematic Focus" setting in the graphics options, as it was unnecessarily blurring everything.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I thought I was seeing things when Talaina (Andorian female) looked slightly older than pre season 9. But she still has the right complexion. And I'm sure my Trill boff's hair is a bit lighter. I thought it was just me being colourblind. Again.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The new female body skin is horrid. I am not going to mince words my characters look like zombies.
    grylak wrote: »
    I thought I was seeing things when Talaina (Andorian female) looked slightly older than pre season 9. But she still has the right complexion. And I'm sure my Trill boff's hair is a bit lighter. I thought it was just me being colourblind. Again.

No, they mentioned that they made the hair lighter.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hmmm. I missed the bit about the hair. I'll have to fix that when I can get back on.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Since the update all my characters have less textures and look like Odo.

I've tried to change and max some graphic settings, but none of them show any change.
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why no Type 3-5 heads and complexions for Klingon characters?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There are issues with Trill spots also. Gaps between connecting points and the spots definitely have lost some of their distinct patterns due to the new textures.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I honestly want to see a "retro" category in the tailor, that lets me restore my characters to look EXACTLY like they did before Season 9 went live.
  • Options
    colson15colson15 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I honestly want to see a "retro" category in the tailor, that lets me restore my characters to look EXACTLY like they did before Season 9 went live.

Make that before Season 8 for me, they never completely reverted after that hit. It was 'mostly' fixed, but not entirely.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    colson15 wrote: »
    Make that before Season 8 for me, they never completely reverted after that hit. It was 'mostly' fixed, but not entirely.

Really? Wow....that sucks.
  • Options
    rainbowarcanarainbowarcana Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Since the update all my characters have less textures and look like Odo.

I've tried to change and max some graphic settings, but none of them show any change.

Thank you. That's exactly what I'm seeing and "Odo-like" is precisely the phrase that I thought as well.
  • Options
    colson15colson15 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thank you. That's exactly what I'm seeing and "Odo-like" is precisely the phrase that I thought as well.

After too much plastic surgery, people start looking like that, which is where all the 'the new textures look plasticine' comments came from.
  • Options
    kingsporekingspore Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Everything looks great to me! I was glad that character changes are now free, so I picked a new face for my character and was able to make it the same across all costumes without costing a bunch of energy credits for each character. I was always hesitant to change any body parts of my character because of the costs involved.

The only thing I noticed was my hair color looked kind of green, but I just fixed it up. I also like that I'm able to use the kit customization options on my Klingon!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I find it disturbing that the issues some of us are having with the new faces are seemling just being swept under the rug.

They seem to be looking at ways to expand the body options without altering existing bodies, but not a single word on even looking into doing the same for faces... :(