test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

HUGE CHARACTER NEWS!! New heads & complexions!!

Comments

• Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    We could use some more variety in tattoo decals while you're messing around with the tailor and complexions.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Nero tattoo for female Romulans.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bignutterbignutter Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    From what I heard that the Next Risa Event, the outfit options will show more skin, as some devs said swimsiuts are comming this year... So can please make sure that our Reman Captians use the correct textures.

Outfits like the "Formal Attire" C-Store series, the female outfits will show "human" like body with a Reman head attached. The textures do exist, as the KAHN!! top matches head.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And the Infected complexion.. =o

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bignutter wrote: »
    From what I heard that the Next Risa Event, the outfit options will show more skin, as some devs said swimsiuts are comming this year... So can please make sure that our Reman Captians use the correct textures.

Outfits like the "Formal Attire" C-Store series, the female outfits will show "human" like body with a Reman head attached. The textures do exist, as the KAHN!! top matches head.
    And the Infected complexion.. =o

Please? K thx bye.
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Excellent ... Now please add more hair options like adjustable length of hair etc.
  • Options
    alaerickalaerick Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    xablis wrote: »
    Even better question for KDF, will we ever getting all our costume slots working? Adding new options to the tailor in Season 9 is really quite pointless when you have 8 costume slots and the only ones you can use are the original and the one for joining a fleet. Better yet, can we at least get it acknowledged that this is still an issue instead of having every post about it ignored since it was reported "resolved" with the march 6th patch?

Actually I found a weird "fix" err "work around" for this.. While I still have 3 bugged slots I now have 3 unbugged slots for a total of 6 when I should only have 3.. I simply hit create x3 and got 3 new outfit slots unlocked.. it would be great if the 3 that did not work would go away.. but that's just me.
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    Thats never going to happan because only about 1/4 of the pkayers play kdf side :(
    thats all so why kdf slots n khg outfits are buged for a lot of ppl n why most other bugs are in kdf only missions
    beerxhyper wrote: »
    but but but.. i like looking like bobba fett and jango fett i mean i know those lametroopers just not as cool as us <_< >_> and plz plz pllllzzz give me my M'Ress hairstyle and heck i'd like her face style to.
    i love u M'Ress http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:M%27Ress_at_communications_station.jpg
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:MRess.jpg
    and we all love caitian and M'Ress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIlAuCkKoF8

I support this idea. It's annoying that I can have long hair with my lovely cat. The hair is quite limiting.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How about some new faces for Klingons too? Maybe without that lopsided frown.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ok i really don't like these new complexions AT ALL.
    Especially the body ones.

In the live game they look very nice and smoothe.
    But on Tribble here it feels too gritty, and the pores seem way to prominent.

Worst though is that appearantly female characters are now anorexic as you can now see texture for individual ribs from the front and back.
    This is not normal.
    Healthy average weight humans do not have ribs that you can count just by looking at them.

Honestly that kind of extra detail is not needed, the body textures are fine as is on holodeck.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Seriously? You can see female ribs now? Gross. That had better not go live.
  • Options
    eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Worst though is that appearantly female characters are now anorexic as you can now see texture for individual ribs from the front and back.
    This is not normal.
    Healthy average weight humans do not have ribs that you can count just by looking at them.

This might be true in the United States of Obesity, but not in Europe. I was just on the tribble server to check out the updated body textures and they look fairly normal to me. No signs of anorexia at all.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    From the Tribble patch notes on 4/3/2014:
    It is now possible to get much whiter hair for most hairdos but is limited by species color options.

It seems that the hair and eyebrow colors have been remapped. The color palettes have the same number of colors, and the alphanumeric codes designating the colors have not changed. I have the same color codes on Tribble and Holodeck. But each code now represents a different color than it did before. See the screenshots below.

Andorian male
    Tribble 3/31/2014, Tribble 4/8/2014

Andorian female

Human female 1

Human female 2
    Holodeck 4/8/2014, Tribble 4/8/2014

I think the color difference is too drastic. Instead of remapping the colors, I think you should add more columns to the color palette representing lighter colors.

Additional problems:

1. The eyebrows on the Andorian male and Andorian female above look thinner now. I'm not sure if the difference is due solely to the color change.

2. The hairline on Human female 1 seems to have receded.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    This might be true in the United States of Obesity, but not in Europe. I was just on the tribble server to check out the updated body textures and they look fairly normal to me. No signs of anorexia at all.

I'm european.
    And while its normal to see the outlines of the ribcage, it is by no means the norm to be able to visually count ribs individually.
    Which is exactly what im seeing, and it is very disturbing.
  • Options
    starfleetmacostarfleetmaco Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Use the TOS mirror outfit and go by the tailor in SFA and you can really see the major differences in cleavage in holodeck and tribble. I prefer the holodeck by far. Just keep things simple, leave it alone and don't make the changes on the current options. just add more options. Just added a pic to make a comparison. Just like they screwed up with the head 1 option and possibly the hair which I haven't tweaked yet.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k537/starfleetcommander1/a2ce7e9c-eb4f-4baf-9037-a32e99c7b725_zpsceecb333.png

Left one is from tribble while the right one is from holodeck
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    That just looks....awful.
    Why would they do this??? :(

Please Cryptic, do not bring any of these changes online.
    Your ruining hours of work for many of us here.
  • Options
    colson15colson15 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So I have been messing around with the tailor for awhile today on Tribble, and while I enjoy the idea of new options, for some reason so many of these options, and the tweaked original heads remind me of ANIME.

Especially the new complexions.

They are airbrushed even more-so than at Season 8 launch, which is saying something because I despised that on my characters.

I happen to like how Humanoid 2 looks even more now than I did before (more realistic detail), but humanoid 1 has changed for the worst, I don't know why the mouth was like twerked up, but it looks like my character is wearing a mask of themself. It looks plastic somehow.

Some of the complexions remind me of those Japanese animatronic robots I have seen on Youtube. I think that may be related to artistic style, but my characters aren't looking better for it.

I am liking the new sheen to the hair, and if I am not mistaken, I noticed my character's body skin looks shinier/realistic/better in my opinion.

More options is always better to me, but some of the changes to the original humanoid head look bizarre and unnatural altogether on my current character(s)

I think the new complexions are great additions for new characters, but my biggest gripe right now is the changes made to humanoid 1. Please don't change that head!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    colson15 wrote: »
    So I have been messing around with the tailor for awhile today on Tribble, and while I enjoy the idea of new options, for some reason so many of these options, and the tweaked original heads remind me of ANIME.

Especially the new complexions.

They are airbrushed even more-so than at Season 8 launch, which is saying something because I despised that on my characters.

I happen to like how Humanoid 2 looks even more now than I did before (more realistic detail), but humanoid 1 has changed for the worst, I don't know why the mouth was like twerked up, but it looks like my character is wearing a mask of themself. It looks plastic somehow.

Some of the complexions remind me of those Japanese animatronic robots I have seen on Youtube. I think that may be related to artistic style, but my characters aren't looking better for it.

I am liking the new sheen to the hair, and if I am not mistaken, I noticed my character's body skin looks shinier/realistic/better in my opinion.

More options is always better to me, but some of the changes to the original humanoid head look bizarre and unnatural altogether on my current character(s)

I think the new complexions are great additions for new characters, but my biggest gripe right now is the changes made to humanoid 1. Please don't change that head!

Completely agreed
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Let's just cut to the chase, the "new" changes are terrible. It's like the artists started of with a good idea but in the middle of it figured it wasn't worth it anymore and loaded in old and unfinished changes.

I appreciate getting new options, but an overhaul like this demands more work and attention devoted to it. It's time wasted that would have been better utilized somewhere else. Give us new costumes, add in new complexions but don't overwrite anything, keep the old stuff as it is, ADD, DO NOT REPLACE if you really want to get those new textures and models in the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    phalanx01 wrote: »
    Let's just cut to the chase, the "new" changes are terrible. It's like the artists started of with a good idea but in the middle of it figured it wasn't worth it anymore and loaded in old and unfinished changes.

I appreciate getting new options, but an overhaul like this demands more work and attention devoted to it. It's time wasted that would have been better utilized somewhere else. Give us new costumes, add in new complexions but don't overwrite anything, keep the old stuff as it is, ADD, DO NOT REPLACE if you really want to get those new textures and models in the game.

Well said!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Biggest culprit when it comes to the skin textures is the normal maps.
    The new normal maps simply must go, the old ones are just superior to them in every single aspect.

In fact the new skin complexion and the old normal maps would actually look pretty perfect with eachother.

At the very least give us the CHOICE of what normal map and body skin complexion to use.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    When I say "realism" in my posting, what I mean to say is 'realism within the context of the game', my characters looked very much ALIVE; breathing, blinking characters before Season 8. After that mess hit, I was pretty angry about it, but since they dropped the bomb, then backpedaled a little and 'fixed' it to some degree, I shutup.

Before Season 8, my characters had pores, reflective tintmasks on the skin, shadowing, the eyes were bigger, looked more lifelike and soulful.

But now, having seen the changes to my characters, they look LESS real again, heading in this same weird, plasticine direction. These don't look like my characters from before Season 8, and now they look more like robot anime characters than they did after S8.... sigh.

Biggest culprit when it comes to the skin textures is the normal maps.
    The new normal maps simply must go, the old ones are just superior to them in every single aspect.

In fact the new skin complexion and the old normal maps would actually look pretty perfect with eachother.

At the very least give us the CHOICE of what normal map and body skin complexion to use.

+100 I miss the old maps soooooo much. Far and away superior.
  • Options
    mikiiymikiiy Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I noticed that my toons hair has now some white/grey-tone in it and also seems a bit more glossy, while that helps to make hair brighter then before i don't like that change at all on black hair.

Then theres also some new level of shininess/gloss on the skin, looks almost like the skin is oiled. While this seems to improve the details at the neck to some degree i totally don't like how its over all the skin it somehow just looks wrong to me and theres no way to turn it off even. Some shininess-slider for the skin would be nice.
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Now I've finally managed to get myself onto Tribble to compare the new character models, here's my thoughts.

The good stuff.

Using one of my Romulans as an example. She uses the Romulan 2 head type and the Standard 01 base complexion. The Tribble version, for me, looks better. Her skin seems to have a bit more texture to it and those strange black marks under her eyes seem to have been cleaned up.

The not so good stuff.

Using on of my Trill as an example. She uses the Trill 1 head type and also uses the standard 01 base complexion. However this toon doesn't seem to have fared quite so well in the model changes.

Firstly. What's with the Mona Lisa smile? You've narrowed the width of her mouth (thankfully this can be fixed with the slider) and given her a sort of smirk. It's as if she knows something I don't.

Secondly. What's up with the hair? I cannot for the life of me get her hair colour back to looking like it does on Holo. There's way to much brightness in the hair colours now.

Thirdly. Why so shiny? This includes both skin and hair. My toon now looks like they've either been doing a quick bit of cardio and have a light sheen of sweat or there was a baby oil spill at a bodybuilding competition and my toon got covered.

*Edit*

I've had a bit more of a chance to play with the new models on Tribble and a couple of things have come to my attention.

Using another of my Romulans for comparison you can see that thanks to the high gloss hair on Tribble, her black hair (Bun 5) now looks almost grey and now seems to come with a bald spot for added aged effect.

A worse example, however, is what happens when you use Bun 3 on Tribble. As you can see there is some serious hair loss going on. This also seems to affect Bun 1 and Bun 2 but to a lesser extent.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    My character is completely ruined on Tribble.

Just look!

NONE of the facial proportions are at all the same anymore!!!! :mad:
  • Options
    eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    daboholic wrote: »
    Firstly. What's with the Mona Lisa smile? You've narrowed the width of her mouth (thankfully this can be fixed with the slider) and given her a sort of smirk. It's as if she knows something I don't.

This is the only change that I really dislike: Forced smiles on every toon. The rest is however in my opinion a definite improvement over what we currently have on holodeck.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mikiiy wrote: »
    I noticed that my toons hair has now some white/grey-tone in it and also seems a bit more glossy, while that helps to make hair brighter then before i don't like that change at all on black hair.

I don't know why the hair color changes haven't generated more discussion. Have other people not noticed? I think the change is quite noticeable, though that may depend to some degree on your original hair color. I think the screenshots in my post below show that the change isn't minor.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16229871&postcount=104

If the goal is to allow whiter hair, then I think a better solution would be to add more colors to the color palette rather than change all existing hair colors.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    daboholic wrote: »

This is something I don't like. I would prefer a more neutral looking expression.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The VERY real underlying issue with this is it CHANGES our current characters.

Now, I love options, and I personally like that you guys made humanoid 2 look more realistic(got rid of those weird black circle things) , but that smirk on humanoid 1 looks ridiculous.

The proportions on h1, as SenatorVreenak said, are all modified, the cheekbones, chin, jawline, etc. Why?

Make a new head type instead!

The whole sheen on hair and body doesn't bother me yet because I haven't looked at all my characters with it... PLEASE, is there a way we can CHOOSE the body sheen/map for ourselves?

The new details on the body like the shadowing/texture behind knees and in front I actually think is a good step forward.

This is obviously just a game to me, but I put alot of real time out of my daily life here and there into the characters I play with almost everyday. So have many others.

We all saw at the onset of Season 8 what arbitrary changes for absolutely no coherent reason did to incite the wrath of the community (Season 7 launch maps, textures, etc were an almost perfect-10, NO reason to mess with what people liked), and then it was only slightly fixed in my opinion.

It just truly irks me and I want this to be seen before the changes go in, not after.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    This is the only change that I really dislike: Forced smiles on every toon. The rest is however in my opinion a definite improvement over what we currently have on holodeck.

Is it really that bad? :/