test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

HUGE CHARACTER NEWS!! New heads & complexions!!

crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
Hello Captains,

First announcement, head shape 2 and complexion Standard 02 have had *slight* tweaks and updates to improve resolution as proposed on this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=992791 ...more specifically the examples here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14758581&postcount=47

Next, I hinted at something big on that same thread and we're excited to give you guys first peak.

Coming very soon to Tribble are 3 new head shapes and 3 new complexions for males and females! Also, these options are included for all human-like species.

As the examples below show, it allows for more effective ethnic diversity. That said, do not feel limited by that. All head shapes and complexions are completely interchangeable with each other and all existing head shapes and complexions. The inset images in the links below show a small sample of the possibilities.

Seriously, this is pretty huge and we hope you like it.

In the mean time, we'll be revisiting our costume presets and possibly re-evaluating our costume creator/tailor a little bit to take advantage of the new options. Also, we'll be revisiting existing NPC's in an ongoing effort in our goal to constantly improve your gaming experience.

And now for the links to pics:
http://imgur.com/qrM6p7V,Tc9VA2r
http://imgur.com/qrM6p7V,Tc9VA2r#1

Finally, let us know if you spot any errors and/or problems.
Post edited by crypticjoejing on

Comments

• dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited March 2014
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like what I see. Can't wait to try them out!
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    AWESOME! Now about boffs like the KDF Marauder and Romulan Embassy being modifiable.......
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You are fantastic.. just epic!

So, our actual toons are going to remain the same, but we have this new epic options, correct?

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am quite sure these won't see the Foundry within the next... let's say 3 years :p

More to cover for Kirkphat's PhatAssets... not that he seems to get any attention :D
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    You are fantastic.. just epic!

So, our actual toons are going to remain the same, but we have this new epic options, correct?

hahaha, yes. correct.
    edited March 2014
    kagasensei wrote: »
    I am quite sure these won't see the Foundry within the next... let's say 3 years :p

More to cover for Kirkphat's PhatAssets... not that he seems to get any attention :D

I should have also mentioned that is something we want to evaluate and address ongoing as well.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hahaha, yes. correct.

Cant wait to try this and make new characters! Thanks for this!

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rtk142 wrote: »
    AWESOME! Now about boffs like the KDF Marauder and Romulan Embassy being modifiable.......

Thats never going to happan because only about 1/4 of the pkayers play kdf side :(
    thats all so why kdf slots n khg outfits are buged for a lot of ppl n why most other bugs are in kdf only missions
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    OMG! Last month I found 'Base Complexion - Standard 04' live on holodeck and reported it as a bug because I thought it was Tuvok's base complexion accidentally released. It was removed in a following patch with nothing in the patch notes about it.

So it looks like this new complexion was meant for us but released too soon. I really loved it.

Here is the thread and even a screenshot of how I made my boff look with it. It really looks great and works perfect for a african-american http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1026181

P.S. Both links in the OP are for the male heads. Love the changes <3
    edited March 2014
    OMG! Last month I found 'Base Complexion - Standard 04' live on holodeck and reported it as a bug because I thought it was Tuvok's base complexion accidentally released...

Good eye. There is a separate specific Tuvok complexion and head shape that is unique to him, but the standard 04 complexion was made with Tuvok's textures as a very early starting point.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Good eye. There is a separate specific Tuvok complexion and head shape that is unique to him, but the standard 04 complexion was made with Tuvok's textures as a very early starting point.

So I was only half crazy. Good to know I didn't lose the other half. Which half? Well that's up for debate. :D

Edit: I'm glad to see that 'Base Complexion - Standard 04' *is* going to be released afterall. I really liked it.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just give us more hairstyle options for Caitian and Ferasans, already!

At least, give us M'Ress's haircut, pretty, please. :P
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just give us more hairstyle options for Caitian and Ferasans, already!

At least, give us M'Ress's haircut, pretty, please. :P

Why just cat people when we all need new hair styles very badly?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    THIS is AWESOME!

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • pfreemanpfreeman Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Any news on if we'll ever get the 'new hair tech' that we were told was coming ages ago? So far we've only seen it on one of the Kling Vet rewards.

peter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Maybe you could examine and improve the "Aged" complexions? It's kind of hard to make someone look middle-aged without making them just look old.
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kalani2 wrote: »
    Why just cat people when we all need new hair styles very badly?

Because they only have 4? And all the long hair options are ponytails.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    These look absolutely beautiful and I cannot wait to get my hands on them. Kudos on the fantastic work going above and beyond. I LOVE ALL OF THESE.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How about adding more body types/shapes and that waist slider for both genders... (and yes.. possibility of smaller boobies for females too, because the smallest is still too big, as attested by even some Foundry authors...) - would love to see some nice alterations in this regard as well... :o

Otherwise those do seem nice and more customization options = better... so supporting definitelly.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I gotta give props to the dev team. Words cannot express how much you guys impress me constantly.

As a player who LOVES new and more diverse character appearance options, I can't thank you enough. To me, this is on the tier of giving us twice as many hairstyle options as currently available. AND it's a surprise. I'm betting none of us normal players were ever expecting this.

This will effect a huge portion of my captains and BOFFs, if not the majority of them. And I have 32 captains.

Thank you to whomever did this!
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2014

If I understand this correctly, the head shape "Humanoid 2" and complexion "Standard 02" will remain unchanged, but you will be adding three new head shapes and three new complexions. This will be interesting, since real-life humans have a variety of nose shapes that were difficult to approximate before.
    In the mean time, we'll be revisiting our costume presets and possibly re-evaluating our costume creator/tailor a little bit to take advantage of the new options. Also, we'll be revisiting existing NPC's in an ongoing effort in our goal to constantly improve your gaming experience.

One thing you might to want look at is the default head size for females. Currently, the female head size is set to minimum by default. This looked OK before the Season 8 changes, but now looks slightly too small. I suggest that you change the default to the middle of the slider.

The other thing is that the tailor still many bugs. I'm not talking about the art or the layout of the UI, but things that just don't function correctly. Some KDF characters still have broken costume slots. Some characters still cannot unlock STF costume options. I know it's not really something the art team can fix, but I hope you bring this up with your programmers, because these bugs definitely detract from the experience of using the tailor.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And for us proud military people, may we please have a military beret? A beret is an integral part of the uniform. To make the design process much easier, the badge (see this and this) would be the fleet logo. The badge signifies the regiment and/or nationality, so in a way, the fleet logo would serve well for that role.
    Because they only have 4? And all the long hair options are ponytails.
    Very much indeed. I want my cats to have the options for dreadlocks or the overly fluffy face.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    lindaleff wrote: »
    A beret is an integral part of the uniform.

But not a Starfleet uniform.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    But not a Starfleet uniform.

The Maco's might wear them.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hahaha, yes. correct.

Oh good. I look forward to these~
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Now that's awesome !

And much needed if you ask me. Star Trek had a huge emphasis on multi-nationality/ethnicity right from the start.

Thank you !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    The Maco's might wear them.

But Cryptic hates MACOs as anything other than to tease us with.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not that I don't like the new stuff, but you are aware that there are still ships flying with the insignia upside down...? That there are uniforms missing rank insignia? That there are uniforms with upside down rank insignia? That there are bridges with lcars consoles backwards?

There's a TON of broken and badly made things in this game, how about fixing some of that before fixing things that aren't broken?

The ship exteriors are the job of a ship character artist, nor a ground character artist. Hired for different skills, assigned different tasks. Sometimes artists can crossover to help but it is a bit like complaining to the exterminator about the plumbing.

The bridges are the job of an environment artist and the LCARS consoles are, I believe, deliberately backwards because they need to save on usage and these aren't supposed to be examined closely. Heck, the Odyssey bridge has another artist's resume and job search cover letter on it. The LCARS aren't meant to seem functional, just to seem like a backdrop.

This is the first I've heard or seen of missing pips unless you're talking about them disappearing into your body when you use the bulk sliders, in which case the honest solution would probably be that the bulk sliders need to be more restricted. I'd never heard of an upside down rank insignia. Which rank insignia even look different upside down? I'm guessing something on a Klingon baldric?
  • charliescot25charliescot25 Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Does this also mean the females knees get sorted as well? When I crouch, they look like lego! :D
    [SIGPIC]USSDundee_zpsfcfe716b.jpg[/SIGPIC]