test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

HUGE CHARACTER NEWS!! New heads & complexions!!

Comments

• Options
    starfleetmacostarfleetmaco Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Unfortunately "nothing" can get rid that derpy mona lisa grin...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It's really stupid looking. Looks very off. Should have left it alone, leave it at neutral stance instead of some stupid forced smile look.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well I for one appreciate these additions.

I know I posted this earlier ITT, but I feel as if this thread needs more positivity for some reason.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    You could be right.

Wow, nice job Cryptic Joe!! This is gonna' be a real game changer!! I can't beli-

Nope. Just not feeling it.
    A LOT more positivity... :rolleyes:

I don't understand how you could justify this powerful negativity. You're not even acknowledging that the devs are trying. And how should this have been in the game since the beginning?
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The fact that Cryptic is undoing hours players have spent in the Tailor and turning female characters into anorectic catwalk models is reason enough to justify all negativity.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The fact that Cryptic is undoing hours players have spent in the Tailor and turning female characters into anorectic catwalk models is reason enough to justify all negativity.
    Well, the fact women are anorectics with large *coughcough* boobies is not a problem of the face.. but of the inadequatte sliders on the torso part. The fact we can't alter the waists, which are unnaturally thin drives me personally crazy... as well as when minimal sized TRIBBLE are as large as they are... Just saying the faces are not the reason for anorectic women... really.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    edited April 2014
    They're not trying. They're phoning it in. The same way they've been phoning it in for the last three years. They do the minimum amount of work in order to get paid. They're bums. And the game and license has suffered because of that.
    No, they're not doing a minimum amount of work. Not even close. They're giving us tons of content. Loads more than you'd expect from most other MMOs. Hell, loads more than a handful of other MMOs combined, even within PWE. STO has probably the most content releases since LoR than most other PWE games had since launch. And despite what many think, they have a lot fewer bugs than a lot of other MMOs out there too.

They're bar none the most incredible and awesome dev team I've ever experienced. I seriously can't understand how you could seriously say otherwise.
    Well, the fact women are anorectics with large *coughcough* boobies is not a problem of the face.. but of the inadequatte sliders on the torso part. The fact we can't alter the waists, which are unnaturally thin drives me personally crazy... as well as when minimal sized TRIBBLE are as large as they are... Just saying the faces are not the reason for anorectic women... really.
    I understand your desire to want more tailor options, but I'm gonna have to disagree on the "anorexics with large boobies" and the "unnaturally thin" waists comments. It may not be possible to cover a loot of body types with the current options, but the settings as they are now never struck me as 'unhealthy'. Also, the lowest breast settings aren't large TRIBBLE, it just doesn't feature a DFC setting. =)

Though changing rib appearance doesn't sit right with me either. If there was a slider for it, fine. Also, a muscle slider for both sexes would be nice...
  • Options
    edited April 2014

That isn't what I am referring to.

I am referring to that they have changed the body textures so they now have a more bony and emaciated apperance than they did before.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »

I understand your desire to want more tailor options, but I'm gonna have to disagree on the "anorexics with large boobies" and the "unnaturally thin" waists comments. It may not be possible to cover a loot of body types with the current options, but the settings as they are now never struck me as 'unhealthy'. Also, the lowest breast settings aren't large TRIBBLE, it just doesn't feature a DFC setting. =)

Though changing rib appearance doesn't sit right with me either. If there was a slider for it, fine. Also, a muscle slider for both sexes would be nice...
    Well, as you said.. the tailor does not cater to vast of body-types. Currently, it mostly caters to slim, smaller body-builds of females.That is my problem. Make the character larger and you will see the issue with anorectic-thin waist. And the minimum boob-setting *is* large, given it is supposed to be ***minimum***. B-size is definitelly not the least you should be limited to...
    That isn't what I am referring to.

I am referring to that they have changed the body textures so they now have a more bony and emaciated apperance than they did before.
    Well.. the female model should use some more options for sure... not denying that. Variety would be nice all in all.

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I just wish you could make a decent looking fat person.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    No, they're not doing a minimum amount of work. Not even close. They're giving us tons of content. Loads more than you'd expect from most other MMOs. Hell, loads more than a handful of other MMOs combined, even within PWE. STO has probably the most content releases since LoR than most other PWE games had since launch. And despite what many think, they have a lot fewer bugs than a lot of other MMOs out there too.

They're bar none the most incredible and awesome dev team I've ever experienced. I seriously can't understand how you could seriously say otherwise.

He's a self-centered prat that's how. :D

I appreciate the full body textures, but the ribs on the new body textures.... just... Ew. I know they probably took a lot of work, but man I would be very upset if they went live.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well, as you said.. the tailor does not cater to vast of body-types. Currently, it mostly caters to slim, smaller body-builds of females.That is my problem. Make the character larger and you will see the issue with anorectic-thin waist. And the minimum boob-setting *is* large, given it is supposed to be ***minimum***. B-size is definitelly not the least you should be limited to...
    Well for the waist setting, you could use my badonkadonk guide's proportion suggestion to make all of your other body parts small, therefore making your waist look larger. Buuuut that in turn would also make the minimum breast setting look even larger... :/

More sliders would definitely solve all of our problems.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well for the waist setting, you could use my badonkadonk guide's proportion suggestion to make all of your other body parts small, therefore making your waist look larger. Buuuut that in turn would also make the minimum breast setting look even larger... :/

More sliders would definitely solve all of our problems.
    The recently released MMO game, which shall not be named has all the sliders done nicely... waist, butt, TRIBBLE... we really need the waist slider, as well as minimum boob setting to be actually minimum... that game in question even has the musclular settings for both male & female, thus, allowing for more body types, without it looking out of place - with more variety we could definitelly get more body-types out there in STO as well.. assuming we got the waist & muscle sliders too..

• Options
    edited April 2014
    The recently released MMO game, which shall not be named has all the sliders done nicely... waist, butt, TRIBBLE... we really need the waist slider, as well as minimum boob setting to be actually minimum... that game in question even has the musclular settings for both male & female, thus, allowing for more body types, without it looking out of place - with more variety we could definitelly get more body-types out there in STO as well.. assuming we got the waist & muscle sliders too..
    I'm insanely curious as to which MMO you're talking about. Character customization is my life. PM me the game's name please <3

Also, I'm not sure why the other games using the Cryptic engine don't just share more customization settings. Character customization for each game could be so much more. But ignoring body type changes, I like what they've done in season 9. Looking forward to handing tons of makeovers out to my captains and BOFFs come Monday. =3
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Also, the "Risque" Bikini option's belly button piercing no longer lines up with the belly button on the new textures.

Just revert the body normal maps please, keep the complexions but get rid that awful bony normal map.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Also, the "Risque" Bikini option's belly button piercing no longer lines up with the belly button on the new textures.

Just revert the body normal maps please, keep the complexions but get rid that awful bony normal map.

Or at least let us switch between the two. My poor Orion looks emaciated. :(
  • Options
    alaerickalaerick Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I understand the desire for more options by people but if you haven't actually worked on producing a morph target based system before, as someone who has please trust me on this. They have done a fantastic job. Be happy this is as advanced as it is. Making more options is not a simple task. Each option requires a unique model to be created and then blended with all the rest. There is also a limit to the number of total morphs a system can handle without massive custom programming and even then it's at the expense of performance. Also, it gets exponentially more complex when you start talking about polygon based clothing, normal maps, textures, etc.

I know people would like to make their character exactly the way they want, including fat. But the sad fact is.. fat is not a simple task. There's many factors working against it. The morph attractors used to make clothing match the shape and size of a body has limits. The farther you move it from it's original position the worse the alignment will become and the worse it will look. Combine that with the fact that fat bodies look funny without additional polygons when compared to a thin character. Simply put, these models do not really have the poly count required to allow for fat body types. I also doubt the clothing has the poly count to match a fat body either. To make a change of this type would require a full redesign from scratch for everything, including outfits.

Anyway, I hope that helps some of you understand and appreciate that from a professional standpoint; You are not asking for a simple thing. They really have done a great job with character customization options. I am thankful they are updating what they are. Just thinking about trying to update a system like this gives me a head ache and it's not even my responsibility! lol :P
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • Options
    crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    HUGE CHARACTER NEWS!!

*facepalm*

They added 3 new faces, wow. Yeah, that's monumental, it's gonna' change the way the game is played. Now they're looking for an "At-a-boy!" for something that should have been done 3 years ago.

Considering the options more than doubled from 2 head shapes and ~2-3 non-"aged" complexions, yes, that's pretty effing huge and Cryptic and many of the players are excited for it.

"Should have been done 3 years ago" is such a loaded and ill-informed statement that I can't even begin to get into it, but having been without those options for that long is just another cause for excitement.

FYI, posting on these forums isn't part of my job description - I don't have to do it. I do it because I care about the game and so that people that also care about this game can give us direct feedback. In the grand scheme of things, there aren't that many games that players can so directly be heard and have changes made to the game they're playing.

So my recommendation (again) is that all comments are clear, relevant, and constructive.

That said, maybe my subject line was too open ended and I should have said "Huge facial customization news!" to give a better framework for the announcement.

As for the comments about the new body textures - that wasn't part of the intended announcement (again, a better title would have helped :) ), but we have read your feedback and are evaluating it.

Thanks again for all the comments.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Don't mind Kirk, he is always complaining.
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

He doesn't say he "hears" everything, and he's not a ship artist.
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reximuz wrote: »
    He doesn't say he "hears" everything, and he's not a ship artist.
    Who are you? His mother?

No, Reximuz is just telling you how it is.

If you really want a character artist to start taking over for ship artists, then you may not have a good understanding of how these people do their jobs. These people are hired for usually very specific positions for specific aspects of the game they work on. They aren't magicians that wave their hands around and magically fix things they have no authority over.

So I'll help you out here: character artists work on *character*-related art, that means they do things like skin textures and face modeling and eye balls and hands and uniforms and etc. They may or may not be skilled in other positions, but unless they're transferred to a new position, they're going to remain character artists.

Long story short, complaining to a character artist about a ship-related model issue in a forum thread that's *only* about character art, specifically heads and complexions, isn't going to be of any help to anyone.

Anyway, Crypticjoejing, loving the new head stuff, can't wait to diversify a bit. =P
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Who are you? His mother?

And why dont you ask him to fix PVP also? And the Ukrain crisis?

We have a character artis who ask or feedback, that is the first in 4 years.

We could agree or not with the changes, but we can at least deliver clear feedback and do not aking him for a ship fix.

I apprisiate you coming to the forums crypticjoejing and asking for feedback, keep at it.

Thanks.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Really hoping the "heroic" complexion option comes back to the tailor...it's not on tribble and I'm a little worried it's not going to be in the season 9 launch. Without that...a lot of characters faces are going to be changing, whether their players want them to or not.
  • Options
    alaerickalaerick Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Considering the options more than doubled from 2 head shapes and ~2-3 non-"aged" complexions, yes, that's pretty effing huge and Cryptic and many of the players are excited for it.

"Should have been done 3 years ago" is such a loaded and ill-informed statement that I can't even begin to get into it, but having been without those options for that long is just another cause for excitement.

FYI, posting on these forums isn't part of my job description - I don't have to do it. I do it because I care about the game and so that people that also care about this game can give us direct feedback. In the grand scheme of things, there aren't that many games that players can so directly be heard and have changes made to the game they're playing.

So my recommendation (again) is that all comments are clear, relevant, and constructive.

That said, maybe my subject line was too open ended and I should have said "Huge facial customization news!" to give a better framework for the announcement.

As for the comments about the new body textures - that wasn't part of the intended announcement (again, a better title would have helped :) ), but we have read your feedback and are evaluating it.

Thanks again for all the comments.

You all are doing a good job on this. As someone who knows what is involved my hats off to ya. Shame many people have so little idea about how things work that they can become quickly ungrateful and demanding.
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Really hoping the "heroic" complexion option comes back to the tailor...it's not on tribble and I'm a little worried it's not going to be in the season 9 launch. Without that...a lot of characters faces are going to be changing, whether their players want them to or not.
    I think it's being changed to Complexion #6.
  • Options
    zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Heroic complexion should be the sixth complexion option now, just a simple rename. Seems like it was renamed to match up with the style of names used on the other complexions.

Edit: Oops, the post before mine mentioned the same thing. That is what I noticed too, Heroic complexion will become Complexion 6. :)