What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #19: The Undine Lockbox

Comments

• Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The worst of all offenses in, what I hoped would never be, the Undine Lockbox is the LACK of lore or even the continuity of such.

Undine are so xenophobic that, much like the Elachi, they'd rather commit suicide to prevent capture. or if touched they are so overcoem with their own zenophobia that they need to sterilize themselves...

You, yourselves, Cryptic, created a brand new First Contact/Day of Honor/Romulan Republic day in which Each faction Explicitly stated how HARD it was to get one of these Undine ships disabled and THEN keep it intact for fireing practice....

NOW YOU HAVE FERENGI JUST THROWING THEM AROUND LIKE MARDI GRAS BEADS?

F this box business.... You all know Damn well the Undine would rather let their ships melt into biomass than let ANYONE touch them.
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Nicor is a cutie, especially the bridge officer setup. Finally a good ship that only needs four bridge officers and the Lt. Commander universal TRIBBLE makes it very flexible to be used on an engineer, a scientist or a tactician. Also nice is that the cruiser can NOT use dual cannons. Recently almost every ship was granted dual cannon usage. I'm glad this one isn't.

Well, I have no idea what kind of ship you're running, but..... :eek::P:D
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You know, credit where credit is due. The ground armour does look pretty good.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    warlockx1warlockx1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Vorlon Wannabe ships.

Meh.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hollowing out an 8472 ship? that would be like lynching, removing organs from that person make space.. err so yeah, that doesnt make any sense as far as a reason to get 8472 ships in game for captains to use.

after reading this blog, some of what was written is conjecture and speculation, bringing peace to 8472? it was never established 8472, let alone the ones making the deal were ever fully into the idea, so this claim there was a small band of 8472 who thinks peace was possible is absurd.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Oh, man. You have no idea how much money I'd sink into a Tin Man Lockbox. Absolutely no idea. :eek:
  • Options
    sammy98745362sammy98745362 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Please i don't want the undine lock box ground weapon to be bugged while cloaked
  • Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Find it very weird that no-ones commenting about the fact they appear to have effectively finally given FEDs a cloak that works on any ship:

"This knowledge has resulted in being able to use another piece of salvaged Undine biotechnology – the Fluidic Phase Decoupler – on any existing ship. This unique Console allows the ship to briefly decouple itself from our phase of reality, becoming perfectly invisible for a brief duration"
  • Options
    johnthomas00johnthomas00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    antzudan wrote: »
    Find it very weird that no-ones commenting about the fact they appear to have effectively finally given FEDs a cloak that works on any ship:

"This knowledge has resulted in being able to use another piece of salvaged Undine biotechnology – the Fluidic Phase Decoupler – on any existing ship. This unique Console allows the ship to briefly decouple itself from our phase of reality, becoming perfectly invisible for a brief duration"

I think no one commented on it because it is "for a brief time" only and we already have a short term cloak via the rommie rep tree anyway.
  • Options
    kchundakchunda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sunseahl wrote: »
    The worst of all offenses in, what I hoped would never be, the Undine Lockbox is the LACK of lore or even the continuity of such.

Undine are so xenophobic that, much like the Elachi, they'd rather commit suicide to prevent capture. or if touched they are so overcoem with their own zenophobia that they need to sterilize themselves...

You, yourselves, Cryptic, created a brand new First Contact/Day of Honor/Romulan Republic day in which Each faction Explicitly stated how HARD it was to get one of these Undine ships disabled and THEN keep it intact for fireing practice....

NOW YOU HAVE FERENGI JUST THROWING THEM AROUND LIKE MARDI GRAS BEADS?

F this box business.... You all know Damn well the Undine would rather let their ships melt into biomass than let ANYONE touch them.

I wish there was an upvote or like button. Instead of disabiling party visuals I wish I could disable this nonsense.
    Addicted: January 2012

batlh QIH 'ej!
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    antzudan wrote: »

Largely because of the "brief duration" thing. It's hardly a cloak like KDF or Rom ships have.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It just occured to me what I hate about those Lockbox/Lobi ship combos. Putting half of a set on each one.

Why on Earth would I get a premium priced ship only to dump it into the "garage" and just use the console ? It´s just as silly as the whole Jem'hadar carrier pet thing. :o
  • Options
    tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My goodness gracious ... where to start ...

Doesn't anyone remember how DIFFICULT it was for a (Standard) Borg Cube (let alone a Tactical Cube) to be damaged let alone destroyed outright by DOZENS of starships over the course of hours of continuous fighting in the TV shows/movies?

With countless ships blasted to scrap metal/atoms ... Wolf 359 anyone? Voy Episode Scorpion Part 1 - when (Nicor possibly idk) 8472 Bioship kamikaze-ed Borg Cube & THAT was what it took for EITHER ship type to be "insta-popped"?

IDK, maybe ... when fighting these types of enemies (REGARDLESS of what preset level player(s) have set the difficulty to - albiet Normal/Advanced/Elite) :

if your Shields go below 75% your ship has a 2.5% chance of being damaged/injured (5% chance if Hull goes below 75%) THIS is damage BEFORE you go boom & respawn by the way ...

shields below 50% - 5% chance / hull below 50% a 10% chance of damage/injury

shields below 25% - 7.5% chance / hull below 25% a 15% chance of damage/injury

This would reflect upon the Power/Level/Difficult nature of/Awesomeness of these types of enemies IF, ANY player, regardless of actual Level/gameplay skill/gear setup etc. decides to fight said enemies of "Awesome" Badness Level. i.e./ergo the Borg/Udine/Dominion/dare I say the (Iconians?).

So, if a player decides to go up against an "Awesome" Level of enemy he or she would be WELL aware of the possible consequences/difficulties of said fight.

Back when i was still a single digit-level newbee, when I first saw that big Borg Cube spinning around in the Sirius Sector space block & I pressed that Red Alert button join in the fighting and fun - I got this nifty little WARNING that I was about to engage in a LEVEL 50+ scenario ... well, I joined in ANYWAY & promptly got my (Tier 1 ship's) Aft-section handed to me on a silver platter, several times over - it WAS A BLAST I had loads of fun, so what if I was only a single digit level newbee getting PVE-pawned every 5 to 10 seconds. It was FUN.:)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    kchunda wrote: »
    I wish there was an upvote or like button. Instead of disabiling party visuals I wish I could disable this nonsense.

I'm not sure if you're berating my comment or not So i'll simply ask...

Have you even watched the VOY Episode "In the Flesh?"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    captainpirkocaptainpirko Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    very strongly against this lockbox. how long is it till we fly a borg cube? oh-oh-oh yes, i know. it'll be a salvaged borg cube... right.... i know. i'll still be in a ship that the queen can self destruct without a second glance. or are you telling me that starfleet can suddenly remove the vaninculum of a borg ship without it exploding?

just how does starfleet suddenly know so much about bioengineering that they can refit bioships anyway? OH! right, its some greedy ferengi. well the question still stands, and infact, if starfleet has trouble understanding this tech, as they have for years, how are some money grubbing ferengi going to understand it?

let me guess, starfleet shipyards are suddenly refit to fill in holes in a biomatter hull.

this is really crossing the line cryptic. i'm disappointed in you. usually there's at least some explanation to these things. this has like no logic to it at all.
    [SIGPIC]Timelords Fleet [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »

god quote is god quote :)

edit: though it seem to have been a comment on the hirogen one i'd say it's more than worth a lulz :D
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited April 2014

That's because it was the hirogen lockbox...
  • Options
    robobigtimerobobigtime Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't get it. Why not just put the consoles up on the cstore or make them cost dil (lots of dil)?
    Such a waste to buy a ship that you'll never use. Unless the master plan is to get me to buy more ship slots.

:eek:
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014

He was simply saying the next box wasn't going to be Undine...not that there wouldn't eventually be an Undine box.

Or we could go tinfoil hat on the matter - that he left not because of the reasons he gave, but because Cryptic was intent upon doing the Undine box and he was so opposed to it!

Or maybe it was just a case that he was saying that the next box at the time wasn't going to be Undine...which it wasn't.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Yeah, smoke and mirrors. Everyone called it back then when the revamp of Undine ships happened. Cryptic is so easy to predict, it' actually sad.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Yeah, smoke and mirrors. Everyone called it back then when the revamp of Undine ships happened. Cryptic is so easy to predict, it' actually sad.

I told you guys awhile back - why is there any surprize?
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    if all is possible in the ridiculous cryptic world, why not klingon or romulan ships for the feds or vice versa.

undines are undercover. why not, ships with hulls of the Federation, the Romulan and Klingon with bio-technology inside; at least this would be more logical
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    hollowing out an 8472 ship? that would be like lynching, removing organs from that person make space.. err so yeah, that doesnt make any sense as far as a reason to get 8472 ships in game for captains to use.

after reading this blog, some of what was written is conjecture and speculation, bringing peace to 8472? it was never established 8472, let alone the ones making the deal were ever fully into the idea, so this claim there was a small band of 8472 who thinks peace was possible is absurd.

"I can't promise you the moon, captain. My superiors aren't as forward thinking. Peace with Humans? Wow... They're going to hit the roof, but I'll tell them what happened here today and with a pinch of luck, A few of them might see the light." ~Boothby replicant
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    He was simply saying the next box wasn't going to be Undine...not that there wouldn't eventually be an Undine box.

Look at the date of the post dude .
    Then look at the topic .

Sadly Bran was less the truthful .
  • Options
    beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited April 2014

yeah i wanna look like guyver 3 with the dual elbow wave vibration blades ^_^

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I told you guys awhile back - why is there any surprize?

It's not a suprise to me, to be honest. I knew this was comming the moment they said to be revamping the Undine ships in the first place.
    Unfortunately, knowing it does not aleviate the dissapointment when it actually happens.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Look at the date of the post dude .
    Then look at the topic .

Sadly Bran was less the truthful .

That post is totally deceptive. Later in the thread in response to a direct question from Newromulan1 if there would ever be a Undine lock-box - Brandon said:
    It's not out of the question for the future(a Undine lockbox), but this revamp of the space combat experience players face against the Undine was not for an Undine Lock Box -- it's for, dare I say, [REDACTED] :D :cool:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Redacted of course turned out to be the last featured episode.
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So we have access to non-humanoid alien ships...

But as a KDF aligned Romulan I am stuck with 4 Klingon colors.....

I can fly an Undine Cruiser with Tholian weapons and a Dominion Bridge Crew but I cant use purple or green on a belt
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    koralkidkoralkid Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sorry, but it is hella lame that we are able to fly Undine ships. Aren't they LIVING ships? Wouldn't the ships just kill off our crew like our bodies kill off an infection? All of the other non-Starfleet/Klingon ships have made some sense, but this is just absurd. It's like taking command of a derelict Reaper from Mass Effect. That. Does. Not. End. Well. I do not see how an Undine vessel would not be actively trying to kill off anyone who is NOT Undine at all times.

Plenty of other races and ships throughout Star Trek history without resorting to absurdities, Cryptic. Just because you're releasing a new season featuring the Undine (which does look awesome itself btw) does NOT mean you have to allow us to fly Undine ships. What would have been more realistic? Starfleet/Klingon/Romulan ships inspired by Undine technology. I for one will not be opening a single Undine Lockbox this time around. I'll open one of the old ones if I feel like being surprised (or not really) with another duty officer pack. Dropped the ball on this one guys.