Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #19: The Undine Lockbox

Comments

• Options
    captainpurplecaptainpurple Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    I'm with you on this. There are some species, which NEVER should've been given "playable ships" in the form of lockboxes. We've had 2 of them so far (with the Undine Lockbox);

Dominion Lockbox, and Undine Lockbox

Next thing you know, they'll be adding a Borg Lockbox (probably with the Delta Quadrant expansion), and the game will officially be dead to me. Don't get me wrong, I like the look and stats of these new ships. But they should not have been made pilotable by players.

So what's the deal with CBS here? CaptainGeko, and several other devs have maintained that the reason we don't get a T5 Connie or Miranda, is because of CBS. Yet somehow, they are fine with us piloting the greatest enemy ships of the Federation/Klingons ? And don't claim "well the lockbox ships are rare...", cause we know they aren't. Plenty of players with far too much cash on their hands, open dozens/hundreds of lockboxes every day (I know, I constantly get spammed with the Lockbox ship announcements). In a month from now, hundreds of players will be flying Undine ships. Faction ships will sink further into obscurity, since players will all be flying the "New Hotness".

This.

I'm still waiting on a Trill/Orion combo box. Or Caitian/Ferasan combo box. Perhaps a Vulcan/Romulan combo box. Or heck, even a Betazoid/Nausicaan box (don't put cruisers in the Betazoid box though - unwise :P). Plenty of current species that can have more ships added to the game or other content with the stuff we like. Adding in a lockbox for such an iconic enemy into the game and then letting us drive their ships around is over the line for me. I won't be participating in the Undine lockbox. I'm still waiting for a Mirror Universe Intrepid though.

And I wish more time were devoted to bug fixes or stuff like the poor Romulan guy that can't color his belt. Current content needs some love/fixing.
    free jkname
    bergins wrote:
    "General Server Stability" means they are bolting the servers to the floor, right? Wouldn't you be upset if Branflakes were to go stumbling into the server room, knock a rack over, and bring the game down for a DAY? SO, they aren't scrwing it up, they are bolting it down.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,533 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So we have access to non-humanoid alien ships...

But as a KDF aligned Romulan I am stuck with 4 Klingon colors.....

I can fly an Undine Cruiser with Tholian weapons and a Dominion Bridge Crew but I cant use purple or green on a belt

Well stated! I hope you don't mind me borrowing that for my signature?
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Time for the usual knee-jerk reaction.
    Adrenal Release (Ground)
    (Toggle) You are able to enter a berserker rage at will, drastically increasing your ability to deal damage. However, you also take more damage from all sources while in this state.

This will be abused and I already hate it.

Superbuff -> Toggle -> One-hit-kill -> Detoggle?

*sigh*
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    EDIT: Ehh never mind. Miss read
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    You can read that?

The picture in your sig makes that statement all the funnier. :P
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Will the Undine ships get their own unique bridges? Haven't seen any in the dev blogs yet.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    sunseahl wrote: »
    The picture in your sig makes that statement all the funnier. :P

DON'T DISHONOR GOWRON!! Anyways I was speed reading and I thought it said something else...

• Options
    bryguy#1741 bryguy Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I haven't been this appalled at Cryptic since...well this might just be a new level of appalling (to be eclipsed only by the inevitable Borg gambling box). It’s like the Devs are going out of their way to defecate on Star Trek lore and destroy what little credibility this game has as a “Star Trek” branded title.

I just don’t get it. We’re Feds, Klingons, and Romulans. We have no business flying around in enemy craft; regardless of what lamebrain Ferengi excuse for their existence is. I guess developing faction specific gear and story missions (unlocked cut scenes buried in rep tiers aren’t missions) is too much to hope for. Too bad, I believe there’s lots of C-Store item potential there.

*Shaking my head in disappointment* :(
    Thank you for the T6 Galaxy Class. - I support Tovan Khev. - Please bring back the exploration missions.
  • Options
    ogremindesogremindes Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Wow, my enthusiasm for the game hasn't dropped so much since dilithium mining came in.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Words can not express how disgusted I am at the inclusion of Undine ships in this lockbox.

Still, I'll have a go.

This appalling decision is evidence that Cryptic have stopped even trying to stay true to this IP.

I'd have been happy to see Undine-ised ships, ala the adapted tal shiar ships.

That would have been a smart and clever decision.

But this?

All I'll say now is that I will not spend a single penny on this game from now on.

Cryptic were given an IP that they should have treated with respect.

This decision is defecating on it.

The developers who made this decision should be ashamed.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The butthurt over spaceships is HILARIOUS.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just saw the specs of the Sci ship. I can really make good use out of it. So that is one less ship to buy from the C store. I'm glad to see it, as I liked that ship design. My Sci Captain is going to love it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So much rage XD.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    All I want its that hand cannon. Maybe the armor.

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Who wants to bet that the lockbox kit frames and modules will be bind on pickup? :P

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Laughing out loud!!! Since Cryptic think the lockboxes are their money cow, they will keep doing this.

Undine ships should not be flyable by any faction.
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If a Borg Lockbox is ever added...It should be limited to Probes and Spheres.
    The latter we have actually seen commanded by non-Borg.

No damn Cubes!
  • Options
    tradiktradik Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I did not see it in the list of items from the drop box, and would just like a clarification...

Are Dilithium Mining Claims not dropping out of the new box? Or was it accidentally omitted from the original post?
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Alongside all of these exciting new prizes, other tried-and-true prize options will also be making a return appearance in the Undine Lock Box.
    This includes Bonus Pool consumables (including the recently-introduced Reputation Mark Bonus Pools!) and Duty Officer packs. The Reinforcements Duty Officer Cadre will appear for the first time a Lock Box as a full-size duty officer pack – the exact same as previously retired from the C-Store. A Reinforcements Duty Officer Mini-Pack can also be received as a reward for opening an Undine Lock Box.

Is this what the interweb kids call a "troll post"?
    Everything looked promising...until it stepped into this steaming pile.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tradik wrote: »
    I did not see it in the list of items from the drop box, and would just like a clarification...

Are Dilithium Mining Claims not dropping out of the new box? Or was it accidentally omitted from the original post?

I was about to post asking this same question. Mining Claims are a big part of what justifies me getting these gambling boxes.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited April 2014

*sigh* I hate it when people use this example to argue for Undine ships.

Gomtuu was a SENTIENT ORGANISM. It allowed Tam Elbrun to stay with it/control it.

An Undine ship is a completely different kind of animal. There have been no canon indications that they're sentient, and they have been shown to function like a regular starship, albeit one specifically engineered to respond to Undine commands. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the one in "Scorpion" would've done something when Tuvok and Chakotay stepped inside of it.
    "[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They have removed the mining claims from this box well that makes me not want anything to do with this box my wallet is closed
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Alongside all of these exciting new prizes, other tried-and-true prize options will also be making a return appearance in the Undine Lock Box.

The older prizes are probably still there, including the precious Dil Mining Claims
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is the Undine bridge going to be squishy? I'm sorry I'm just finding it hard to keep a straight face thinking about this. Laughter is entertaining too. :D
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I forgive the stupidity of players controlling undine ships. That armor is hella rad.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I LOVE THE UNDINE SHIPS. That armor is so stupid.
    I like the armor. :(

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mgoblin2 wrote: »
    *sigh* I hate it when people use this example to argue for Undine ships.

It's not to argue for...it's to argue against those arguing against with the argument there have not been humanoid piloted bioships of some form.

If one wants to argue against them - have at it...but do it with an actual argument.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    I like the armor. :(

What exactly are you trying to say here? :confused:
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sunseahl wrote: »
    The worst of all offenses
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Still hate the very concept of this lockbox.
    ogremindes wrote: »
    Wow, my enthusiasm for the game hasn't dropped so much since dilithium mining came in.
    rinkster wrote: »
    Words can not express how disgusted I am

appalling decision

Cryptic have stopped even trying to stay true to this IP.

Where have you all been since the first Winter Wonderland?

STO has been unabashedly a theme park MMO from the onset, but at no point was this more obvious than the first time we were given unaligned alien ships to fly. Yet, for whatever reason, some of you have deluded yourselves into thinking this game is trying to be serious.

If you're upset by this lockbox, that sucks, but you should have expected this. It's not Cryptic's fault you've allowed yourselves to remain blind to this fact, and have subsequently allowed it to harm your ability to enjoy the game. You only have yourselves to blame.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go play my 29th Century character in her TOS Connie with her crew consisting of an Orion, an alien vaguely resembling Dr. Zoidberg, a squirrely ferengi named Rump, and a Vulcan in Seductive stance in the MU uniform, and I'm going to enjoy the game.
  • Options
    wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's not to argue for...it's to argue against those arguing against with the argument there have not been humanoid piloted bioships of some form.

If one wants to argue against them - have at it...but do it with an actual argument.

Okay, fair enough. Misunderstood the nature of your post.
    "[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan