What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Starbase ?? What wrong with it

Comments

• Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    regardless what some people are ranting about the negativety of esd. it looks awesome.

what i dont understand is noone talking about this is not the first overhaul of earth space dock. i read a post by an artist that compared this new one with the existing one as if it was here since launch. this is not true. the esd that is currently on hollow deck is better then launch esd and tribble is awesome to hallow deck.

what i enjoyed about last over haul was the envasion, we had crystal entity, klilngon, romulan, undine, and every enemy of star fleet attack esd and it was super cool.

so dont get me wrong fabulous job on the work. just dont forget the history of the game.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Then maybe someone should show them how to work on storylines, and missions, either that or lay them off, and hire people who can work on storylines, and missions. Doesn't make sense to add stuff you don't need to an ailing product, it's a waste of precious resources. The one trick pony has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, in all successful companies in the current business model.

Really? Is that why WoW has done two engine upgrades, and then redid the entire look of the game two years ago. And while CoH was sunsetted after 8 years; it two went through two major graphics engine upgrades and zone reworkings. EQ, LoTRO and the majority of Western MMOs have decided to rework/redo zones as they can and PC technology on the graphics front advances. Of course none of the MMOs I mentioned had any measurse of success,right?

(Oh, wait, WoW is still the population moster against which all other MMO populations are measured by most MMO news sites; and EQ is going on it's 15th year in operation.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Edge I love they way you said you would stop posting about 3 pages back, but you can't seem to help yourself. Classic.:rolleyes:

Anyway this thread should have been closed about 6 pages ago. It's getting pretty toxic.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To illustrate further...

This is the pre-Season 9 ESD interior, as seen from the outside. Notice how there is no structure that could possibly be correlated to this on the external view. especially with those humongous windows completely encircling the stem.

This is the Season 9 ESD interior map, as seen from the outside. (Note this image was from the earliest TRIBBLE build that was before they added the extended shuttlebays) Now you'd probably be hard pressed to find windows and shuttlebay doors that line up exactly like this, but you can see how the new interior MUCH more feasibly correlates to the exterior. Especially when seeing cutaway views like this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Anyway this thread should have been closed about 6 pages ago. It's getting pretty toxic.

I agree with you, but like Edge, I can't help myself. I guess I am just waiting to see what he says next. :P
  • Options
    mathcubemathcube Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    EDIT: The docking bay will hold an Odyssey without issue, and with plenty of room to spare for other ships. However, the Odyssey won't fit through the docking bay doors.

Will the Odyssey not fit though the doors even when rolled a bit? I'm thinking of how we sometimes get couches through narrow doorways. They're too wide to go through when sitting straight up, but when rolled a bit they can be gotten through. I'm just wondering if that wouldn't be enough to get an Odyssey in there.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx345/stardestroyer001/Star%20Trek%20Online%20Photos/Untitled-1_zps8ed07356.png

Basically, the summary is:

Yeah, Sovvie can fit... Canon Sovvie though. (I stand corrected.)
    Anything wider/longer than a canon Sovvie cannot fit. Including the Regent.

Also, STO Sovvie has some major scaling issues.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The actual ESD confusing¿?????????????? hjahahahahahahahahaha, seriously, well, you could just post really big letters along the hallway. How the hell can be confusing the actual ESD?? seriously. The only thing you need to do is to go to 1 of the 4 spoted places on the station. Really, there are 5 spots, one in the center and 4 along the corners. If people get confused with that, seriously they have a big big problem.

I suposse those people still didnt create a klingon toon. Or they will be crying by now lol with Q'onos.

As i said, waste of time on useless things. As always, sigh. I wonder if someday i will be able to say "good job, cryptic". For real, i mean.

Speaking as someone who has multiple characters on both FED and KDF factions, and who has played since before STO launched in 2010:

Go to bed!

The new ESD (currently on Tribble) is above and beyond the old ESD (on Holodeck). While you might not think "running around in a circle" is confusing, there are people who legitimately find it confusing. Not to mention, having to look at walls/map just to find which quadrant of the station are currently in. I've gotten lost quite a few times on old ESD, and I don't consider myself to be in any way, shape or form mentally deficient.

While you might not think revamping ESD was necessary, I find it highly likely there are atleast a dozen more who DO think the revamp was necessary. Myself included. What Taco said, was that (as environment artists), they could've made more missions instead of revamping ESD. But that requires the assistance of other developers, who already were preoccupied with things like REVAMPING KITS. So they compromised, and decided the best way was to revamp a social zone. In this case, ESD. They didn't need to. But they did. Not revamping ESD, would not have made them make more mission maps instead (since it still requires other developers in addition to environment artists).
    Thats the problem. People think its not serious. I dont care about ESD, i dont care about walking through a different ESD. You dont get it, guys.

What i dont get it, is why cryptic is wasting time on this. When we have so many troubles out there waiting to be solved. Why the hell are they focusing efforts on this and not in fixing bugs??? ?for example??? CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN IT TO ME?. Why is this so damn important????? is people really blind out there?? seriously??? zzz.

Yes, I'll EXPLAIN IT TO YOU (responding with caps):

Tacofangs and the other environment artists have ZERO involvement in fixing bugs. That's the work of the programmers. Not the map makers. Fixing bugs and making maps are handled by two separate departments.
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Complaints are precisely what makes a game better.

No, constructive criticism makes things better; you just rant.
    I must be the only reasonable person playing this game.

Based on your forum posts, you really aren't...
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx345/stardestroyer001/Star%20Trek%20Online%20Photos/Untitled-1_zps8ed07356.png

Basically, the summary is:

Yeah, Sovvie can fit... Canon Sovvie though. (I stand corrected.)
    Anything wider/longer than a canon Sovvie cannot fit. Including the Regent.

Also, STO Sovvie has some major scaling issues.

The Sovereign is in line with it's canonical dimensions:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2840/13436887523_e72b7ea456_o.jpg
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No Taco, he means the ship is much to small on screen. It should really be 685m long

:P
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No Taco, he means the ship is much to small on screen. It should really be 685m long

:P

Taco is saying that ship IS roughly 685 meters long already.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Taco is saying that ship IS roughly 685 meters long already.

A full size real size 685m long ship on screen :D
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's a little hard to get a sense of the scale of the thing when it's gliding by the station, but Tacos image of him dancing on the Sovy hull outside the OPs window shows the Sovy is appropriately friggin huge.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Honestly I could care less what ESD looks like inside. I would like to access the shipyard without a turbolift, but aside from that, I really don't care.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Honestly I could care less what ESD looks like inside. I would like to access the shipyard without a turbolift, but aside from that, I really don't care.
    Well you have that now, everything is accessible without zoning.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The Sovereign is in line with it's canonical dimensions:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2840/13436887523_e72b7ea456_o.jpg

The length is. The width, however, is off by about 100 meters. Comparing the scaled top image of the Sovereign with other scaled dimensions, the width should be just a bit shorter than 240 meters in width.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Transporters.

I am starting to understand why O'Brian accepted the transfer from the transporter room of the enterprise to DS9 then...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I am starting to understand why O'Brian accepted the transfer from the transporter room of the enterprise to DS9 then...
    You don't really want to know where replicators gets its raw materials from do you?
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Well you have that now, everything is accessible without zoning.
    well, almost everything, to get to the Upper Deck area, you need to zone, also to get to the "foundry" area, you need to zone, but it's all good either way.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    The length is. The width, however, is off by about 100 meters. Comparing the scaled top image of the Sovereign with other scaled dimensions, the width should be just a bit shorter than 240 meters in width.

Something like. . . 236m?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014

o.O

Why does the other screenshot show an almost 100m increase?
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    You don't really want to know where replicators gets its raw materials from do you?

Reordered poo... I know... But considering that the molecules were broken apart first, I am fine with it... After all... Think of how water is recycled these days? Just cleaned up and shipped back into your house....

But imagine standing there... Picard runs in... "Quickly O'Brian... It's urgent".
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    well, almost everything, to get to the Upper Deck area, you need to zone, also to get to the "foundry" area, you need to zone, but it's all good either way.

We clearly need stairs! No, wait, an escalator! A big, spiral escalator surrounded by invisible wall so that nobody falls off and hurts themselves! :)
  • Options
    durenasdurenas Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    o.O

The first picture has a lot of empty space in the working area. The second one does not.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2014

You definitely don't need to "zone" to get to the upper deck - the turbolift just teleports you to a different point on the same map (i.e., in the same Zone).

The same should be true of the turbolift to the lower levels. The same is true of the old ESD shipyard.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but that's pretty significantly different from "zoning," which involves map transfers and load times.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hey Tacofangs, I am curious, if the size of the doors is such a problem, why not just "retrofit" them to be wider?

I would assume post Q reverting ESD, they would have had to in order to get the ships in.

I realize this would take more time but a possible future addition?

[As a side note, while I didn't think it was necessary and personally find it a bit too mall like, I do like the new look. ]
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    o.O

The first screenshot the selection box wasn't touching the hull on the sides, only the front and back, the screen he just posted has it touching the widest part which is the saucer.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hey Tacofangs, I am curious, if the size of the doors is such a problem, why not just "retrofit" them to be wider?

I believe they are making an effort to adhere to the canon dimensions of ESD, even if that means some of the newer/larger ships won't fit.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    The first screenshot the selection box wasn't touching the hull on the sides, only the front and back, the screen he just posted has it touching the widest part which is the saucer.

That makes sense. I stand corrected, the STO Sovereign adheres to the canon Sovereign dimensions.

Nevertheless, I must point out that anything larger/wider than a Sovereign can't fit in the bay. Namely, the Regent-class (length).