test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Starbase ?? What wrong with it

grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
Is the revamp really necessary off Starbase ESD ?

I rather see some good storylines instead of a revamped Base what was working great.

What about you ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
Post edited by grazyc2#7847 on

Comments

• Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The environmental artists don't work on storylines or missions, so I think it's good they're doing something constructive with their time.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The environmental artists don't work on storylines or missions, so I think it's good they're doing something constructive with their time.

AND, Current ESD is a real immersion breaker... It's just too clumsy, and it's really not that different from when this was ESD
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2014

You want something productive for these poor out of work people? I HAVE IT: they could actually add ship interiors to the ships that have next to nothing like my scimitar or recluse! Time would be better spent, ESD was fine, its easier to use than first city, and looks about like one would expect a round space station to look.

Also, I suspect the artists work on everything, not specialized, so likely these supposedly idle folks are helping out with ship art, the new content, the new costumes and faces, and so on.
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    They were assigned by Stephen D'Angelo to redo ESD.

And in my opinion, it's for the better.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Then maybe someone should show them how to work on storylines, and missions, either that or lay them off, and hire people who can work on storylines, and missions. Doesn't make sense to add stuff you don't need to an ailing product, it's a waste of precious resources. The one trick pony has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, in all successful companies in the current business model.

PWE doesnt think it's cosr effective to churn out content that isn't grindable, IE wont make sure people run it a lot, most missions get run only once per character unless they got REALLY good items attached to it.

however, a bain starbase where dozens or hundreds of peoeple are on it at any given time.... yes they would rather rework that than make new content that you cant Grind out.
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited March 2014

But they do the art for that content. Using this excuse always is flawed.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    You want something productive for these poor out of work people? I HAVE IT: they could actually add ship interiors to the ships that have next to nothing like my scimitar or recluse!

Why should they waste time on a minority? You know, the one scim / recluse here and there... It's not worth the efford compared to the fact that this will benefit everyone with a FED.

It's not like you can do anything on ships anyways... so who cares?
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    But they do the art for that content. Using this excuse always is flawed.

No excuse when there is content on tribble if people would pay attention.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I rather like the new ESD. Also can be a place to tell more story in.

As for story content itself, I'd like more but I doubt that not doing this would have produced significantly more story content. Likely none at all. Besides, depending on where the story is being done for the next season it may not actually need new environment assets, so having the environment people doing this isn't going to really affect that one way or the other.

And no, just switching people's jobs is a bad idea. Especially when the jobs require different skillsets.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's pretty ugly and not very inspiring. It's one of the first Startrek sites a new player might visit, and it's supposed to be a main hub - it should look good and function well.

It's basically a visual bug. You could also ask for most bugfixes "why fix that bug, it's been around so long, and people play the game anyway!"
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This same argument comes up everytime something is changed. Some one gets their back up because their favorite thing gets ignored, and rages that resources are "wasted" on whatever it is cryptic are actually doing.

Enjoy the game being provided. Stop griping that it isn't the one YOU want it to be.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Why should they waste time on a minority? You know, the one scim / recluse here and there... It's not worth the efford compared to the fact that this will benefit everyone with a FED.

It's not like you can do anything on ships anyways... so who cares?

Riiiiight. Because NO ONE has a scimitar. Terrible ship, who would use that thing anyway.... Never see them in game, nope, never.

The changes benefit no one. The old ESD had everything in a moderately efficient layout. A little boring, but its a small, round space station, not a rat maze. It needed to be updated about as much as ship interiors: which is not at all. Its not like you can DO much on a station either --- bank and vendor being 99% of it at 50.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Riiiiight. Because NO ONE has a scimitar. Terrible ship, who would use that thing anyway.... Never see them in game, nope, never.

The changes benefit no one. The old ESD had everything in a moderately efficient layout. A little boring, but its a small, round space station, not a rat maze. It needed to be updated about as much as ship interiors: which is not at all. Its not like you can DO much on a station either --- bank and vendor being 99% of it at 50.

Compared to the number of people who use ESD, the scimitar users are a absolute minority... For every 15 Romulan ship I see, I see maybe one Scim...

Sucks that you can't see it, but there just aren't enough to justify a full-time building on something that people barely use in comparison to everyone else...

Sorry you made a sucky purchase... But it's not like they hid the details from you... You knew what you were getting, and now you have to live with it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I can't even play the game being provided, because it's impossible to enjoy, in it's current state.

Then why are you still here? Seriously. If I was no longer enjoying a game I was playing I'd find something else to do.

And It's obviously not that "impossible." The majority of people seem to still enjoy it, otherwise they would not be here.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I can't even play the game being provided, because it's impossible to enjoy, in it's current state.

Can I haz ur stuffs?

Seriously, if you're not enjoying the game, I'm assuming there's nobody threatening your family to get you to play it. Quit, and don't let the door hit you in the TRIBBLE on your way out.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    I'm assuming there's nobody threatening your family to get you to play it.

Maybe they are!:eek: Lord knows Cryptic is dastardly enough to do it.

I can just imagine branflakes tying his wife (lol) to a train track twirling retro mustache.

:rolleyes:

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the main area of the new spacedock is really nice, and i think it was a worthwhile do over however i am thinking that the shuttlebay area of earth spacedock seems a total waste of recources.

after having a good look round on tribble i must admit i came away puzzled by the total waste of the very large area the spacedock shuttlebay occupies, to get access to the shuttlebay the only way i could find was to jump over the deviding barier between the shuttlebay and the main area then after exploring a little i found that the only way to return to the main area appeared to be by beaming back to my ship and then docking again as the level of the shuttlebay is somewhat lower then the level of the main area so i could not jump over the barrier to get back out.

they may have something special planned for the shuttlebay but as it stands it seems there has been a lot of work put into a very large area that players are not really ment to or often likly to access anyway and if it was only really put in for visual perposes it would have been far quicker to use a fake backdrop behind a glass devide.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    the main area of the new spacedock is really nice, and i think it was a worthwhile do over however i am thinking that the shuttlebay area of earth spacedock seems a total waste of recources.

after having a good look round on tribble i must admit i came away puzzled by the total waste of the very large area the spacedock shuttlebay occupies, to get access to the shuttlebay the only way i could find was to jump over the deviding barier between the shuttlebay and the main area then after exploring a little i found that the only way to return to the main area appeared to be by beaming back to my ship and then docking again as the level of the shuttlebay is somewhat lower then the level of the main area so i could not jump over the barrier to get back out.

they may have something special planned for the shuttlebay but as it stands it seems there has been a lot of work put into a very large area that players are not really ment to or often likly to access anyway and if it was only really put in for visual perposes it would have been far quicker to use a fake backdrop behind a glass devide.

They have already stated that it is intended as vista and nothing more and will be blocked off in the final build.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Is the revamp really necessary off Starbase ESD ?

I rather see some good storylines instead of a revamped Base what was working great.

What about you ?

NO. Its not. But you know, its the way cryptic's work. Doing stupid and useless things instead of fixing important things and stuff like that. They like to waste time and efforts on things like this, instead of things importants, like making the game less-bugged. Only for the purpose of luring new players, new potential customers and zen players.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Then maybe someone should show them how to work on storylines, and missions, either that or lay them off, and hire people who can work on storylines, and missions. Doesn't make sense to add stuff you don't need to an ailing product, it's a waste of precious resources. The one trick pony has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, in all successful companies in the current business model.

I am not familiar with gaming company structures, but in general there is usually a separation of responsibilities in businesses storylines and missions seems to be decent and different from each other. I would say only small independent game developers would overlap such responsibilities since they do not have the money to the hire staff. I would guess you would be hard pressed to find mainstream employees in the gaming industry to do both of those tasks equally well.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Well the main benefit of the new change is that you don't need to be in one particular section to check mail anymore. Exchange is closer to the transporters as well I've heard, but I haven't found that yet (no that I was looking very hard).

So rather than having to run around the entire station when you transport in, it's right there.

If you want to change you ship, no more needing to take a turbolift.

And it's much more open. So while yes the old one was okay, this one is better in my opinion.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    *Ahem*

We environment artists, build environments. That could be a social zone like ESD, a mission map, a queue map, or any other kind of map. We build assets in 3d, and then place those assets around to create a map.

ESD is being redone because the old one failed it's purpose in a number of ways. I've gone over this before, but here's a quick list.

1) Old ESD was confusing. No, to you, who has been in the game for a while, it may have been fine. But having everything in a circle actually makes it difficult to remember where on the circle anything in particular lives. We've tried to remedy that with New ESD, and while it will take some getting used to, we believe it is a much easier space to navigate than the old version.

2) Old ESD was just plain old. You guys have played our newer missions, and you guys have played missions that were built at the start of the game. Which are better? Which look nicer? Which feel more trek. Old ESD was built at the start of the game, and it shows. We want New ESD to make you feel like you're actually playing a Star Trek game. Not some generic scifi game from the early 2000's.

3) Old ESD had no "wow" moment. When you are a new player, and you showed up on ESD, you are in a transporter room facing a wall. You walk out of that room, into a hallway. You turn right, and run into an enclosed office. There is no Wow there. If you've played other games, you might know what I'm talking about. Who remembers their first time running through the gates of Ironforge? That moment, as fleeting as it may be, makes a big impression on people, and sets the tone for how they feel about a space.

4) Old ESD was not a place you wanted to spend time. Yes, that may be due in large part to zone chat, but the environment itself was not very inviting. I (personally) want ESD to be more than a place you HAVE to go to, to get X and Y done. I want ESD to be a place you want to spend time on. I want you to go there, do your business, and then linger for a bit, talk with people, run a foundry mission from, etc. Remember, this is a SOCIAL zone. It's true, there is nothing I can do to fix zone chat. But that doesn't mean I can't make the rest of the experience more pleasant than it was.

Yes, we could have been using that time to build missions I suppose. But missions also require a lot of time from design. And design had other things to work on that didn't require us (Kit Revamp for instance). Bottom line is, you may disagree with the decision, and that's fine. But what's done is done now. ESD has been rebuilt, it will be coming out with S9. There's not much we can do to change that at this point.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The one trick pony has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, in all successful companies in the current business model.

Is that what they teach you at McDonald's U? Because outside of fast food that is pretty much bunk.
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    When you say "OLD ESD" I keep thinking the original ESD at launch. The current is actually version 2.0, remember.

And will the new ESD break any Foundry missions that use any of the items found on ESD like the last change did?

And you think ESD is confusing to get around by not the Klingon's First City? /jaw drop

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    Well the main benefit of the new change is that you don't need to be in one particular section to check mail anymore. Exchange is closer to the transporters as well I've heard, but I haven't found that yet (no that I was looking very hard).

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t31.0-8/1796891_10152100502968751_2044293135_o.jpg

Find them emblem on the floor... it's the door on the right side of this image if memory serves.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I dont understand. yes the "OLD" esd was revamped. But we are not talking about the old ESD we are talking about the ACTUAL ESD, right? or i am missing something??. It doesnt need any change, for god sake. Leave it alone!!!

Its just i cant help to think that cryptic keeps worrying about non important things instead of focus efforst on the important ones. Sigh. This is going to be always the same story.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with the actual ESD?? can someone explain it to me? cuz im lost. I like the actual esd, its easy to get used to it, the layout is great, you will never get lost searching for someting.. i dunno, seriuously. Q'nos is far worst than ESD, by far.. lol.