test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starbase ?? What wrong with it

Comments

• edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    When he says Old, he means the current on on holodeck, which is nearly identical to the one that was there at launch. Still round and stupid looking.

The one on tribble is far superior in many ways. Having spent so much time on it on tribble testing it out, I find going back to the one holodeck feels like a chore, I hate it.

¿?¿?¿?

The actual ESD from holodeck is perfect, what the hell is wrong with it???? can someone give me a reasonable explanation? the station need to have a round shape, please, dont tell me they are going to do the station like the ship interiors, with a shape that has nothing to do with the physical aspect of the station . . . .:eek::mad:

One thing is that you want the ESD to be better, thats logical, everyboyd wants everything to be better, but to waste time and efforts on re-design something that actually there is no need of, and use that time to do something useless instead of something really important, i dunno, it only confirms the bad shape STO is nowadays. And the little time it will be "online", sadly.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And will the new ESD break any Foundry missions that use any of the items found on ESD like the last change did?

All the items from the current ESD are on the new one, obviously they're not in the same places, so you ma have to update description texts if you have them.
    edited March 2014
    ¿?¿?¿?

The actual ESD from holodeck is perfect, what the hell is wrong with it???? can someone give me a reasonable explanation? the station need to have a round shape, please, dont tell me they are going to do the station like the ship interiors, with a shape that has nothing to do with the physical aspect of the station . . . .:eek::mad:

The new interior does match the station, it is in the upper 'mushroom cap' right here.
    Pictures

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjMeTpCCYAAL0v2.jpg:large

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7133/13171491873_324c38cf73_h.jpg

if you look at the Minimap the Map matches the curve the hull.
  • zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I dont understand. yes the "OLD" esd was revamped. But we are not talking about the old ESD we are talking about the ACTUAL ESD, right? or i am missing something??. It doesnt need any change, for god sake. Leave it alone!!!

Its just i cant help to think that cryptic keeps worrying about non important things instead of focus efforst on the important ones. Sigh. This is going to be always the same story.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with the actual ESD?? can someone explain it to me? cuz im lost. I like the actual esd, its easy to get used to it, the layout is great, you will never get lost searching for someting.. i dunno, seriuously. Q'nos is far worst than ESD, by far.. lol.

lol relax man, its not that serious. In fact the exchange, bank, and mail are now all in the same room, which makes it easier to find. The tailor and vendors are all in the same area, which make them what? easier to find.

Instead of having things spread out now everything has been condensed, and in my opinion it looks great. Like Tacofangs said, the current ESD has no "wow factor", I think many will agree on this. We want things to look pretty and inviting, the current ESD for a new player is very confusing. (believe me, I know, I have had to help newbies find things on ESD before)

You may think that this is a waste of time, and you are welcome to that opinion. However not everyone agrees. I personally am looking forward to this as are many others. Look at all the content they are going to be pushing for season 9, new kits, new reps, new battlezones, new stf missions. Theres alot of things going into season 9, ESD is just a very minor part of that.
    edited March 2014
    They are listening to players, players wanted a new ESD because the old one was so damn confusing.

This new ESD is a benefit to the old and new players. If you cannot see that then I'm sorry.

The actual ESD confusing¿?????????????? hjahahahahahahahahaha, seriously, well, you could just post really big letters along the hallway. How the hell can be confusing the actual ESD?? seriously. The only thing you need to do is to go to 1 of the 4 spoted places on the station. Really, there are 5 spots, one in the center and 4 along the corners. If people get confused with that, seriously they have a big big problem.

I suposse those people still didnt create a klingon toon. Or they will be crying by now lol with Q'onos.

As i said, waste of time on useless things. As always, sigh. I wonder if someday i will be able to say "good job, cryptic". For real, i mean.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The new interior does match the station, it is in the upper 'mushroom cap' right here.
    Pictures

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjMeTpCCYAAL0v2.jpg:large

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7133/13171491873_324c38cf73_h.jpg

if you look at the Minimap the Map matches the curve the hull.

I think your scale is way off.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited March 2014
    The actual ESD confusing¿?????????????? hjahahahahahahahahaha, seriously, well, you could just post really big letters along the hallway. How the hell can be confusing the actual ESD?? seriously. The only thing you need to do is to go to 1 of the 4 spoted places on the station. Really, there are 5 spots, one in the center and 4 along the corners. If people get confused with that, seriously they have a big big problem.

I suposse those people still didnt create a klingon toon. Or they will be crying by now lol with Q'onos.

As i said, wate time on useless things. As always, sigh.

Useless in your OPINION. Not in a lot of other peoples. You are the minority here.
    edited March 2014

Uh the environmental designer (Taco) edited the second image I linked there to show aproximently where the new Interior is.

The upper part of the station is 3.8KM in Diameter, so we're really tiny compared to it.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The old ESD never made sense. You can see that it's near the top of the station, but the circle is way too small to represent the size of the station properly. It also just looks like an old cargo bay that was refit to be a temporary command center. The new ESD really gives the feel of being on a massive space station instead of in an old cargo bay. It really was time to revamp the whole of it.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited March 2014
    zurganus wrote: »
    lol relax man, its not that serious.

Thats the problem. People think its not serious. I dont care about ESD, i dont care about walking through a different ESD. You dont get it, guys.

What i dont get it, is why cryptic is wasting time on this. When we have so many troubles out there waiting to be solved. Why the hell are they focusing efforts on this and not in fixing bugs??? ?for example??? CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN IT TO ME?. Why is this so damn important????? is people really blind out there?? seriously??? zzz.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am pleased with the change, I always thought that ESDs previous design forcing your to run around in circles to accomplish anything was idiotic, the layout was wrong, the scale was wrong and it just didn't seem to fit anywhere on the station.
    I keep hearing the same argument about putting that effort into ship interiors over and over again. Other than a few useful areas like places to display trophies and such or the rare occasion that a mission might actually require you do something on your ship, interiors are completely a vanity item, you goggle at it for a few minutes then it serves no other purpose whatsoever, I don't even remember what the interiors of half of my ships look like.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The old ESD is confusing if you don't know where something is. Not as confusing as the First City, but it's easier to remember where things are in the First City when you do find them than it is in ESD.

Either way, the new one is a hell of a lot better than the old one.
    edited March 2014
    Uh the environmental designer (Taco) made the second image I linked there.
    Says a lot about the quality of the assets in this game, wouldn't you say?
    The upper part of the station is 3.8KM in Diameter, so we're really tiny compared to it.
    I'm not saying it's too big. I'm saying it's too small. Earth Spacedock can accommodate ships as large as an Odyssey-class. That picture looks like it can barely hold an Ambassador.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    Thats the problem. People think its not serious. I dont care about ESD, i dont care about walking through a different ESD. You dont get it, guys.

What i dont get it, is why cryptic is wasting time on this. When we have so many troubles out there waiting to be solved. Why the hell are they focusing efforts on this and not in fixing bugs??? ?for example??? CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN IT TO ME?. Why is this so damn important????? is people really blind out there?? seriously??? zzz.

Taco gave you a huge explanation on page 3.

Do you realize that the entire team is NOT working on ONLY this? Go look at the Tribble patch notes. There's new content coming AND bug fixes.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited March 2014

Funny thing about bugs. All software has it, and spending time just getting rid of them is generally a wasted effort if the bug itself isn't actually causing any major problems. And sometimes fixing these bugs actually causes more bugs to show up, even in seemingly unrelated areas.

Whatever operating system you use likely has bugs from it's first incarnation still.

TD;LR, spending time fixing bugs is important (and only important bugs), only fixing bugs is a waste of time.
    edited March 2014

I'd have to agree. There are more important issues to be fixed (Foundry, AFK Leeching, bugs galore, take your pick). Instead, they decide to fix what isn't broken.
    edited March 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    The old ESD never made sense. You can see that it's near the top of the station, but the circle is way too small to represent the size of the station properly. It also just looks like an old cargo bay that was refit to be a temporary command center. The new ESD really gives the feel of being on a massive space station instead of in an old cargo bay. It really was time to revamp the whole of it.

The new ESD will look really far worst, that i can tell you. Of course, tere will be out there always the same people saying "good job cryptic", since thats the only thing they can say. So, for your words, they should just eraste Qonos completely and revamp Q'onos to make it a REAL CITY??? because if we think this way, they will need to change almost every zone of the game. Sorry, its a fact, starting with the ship interiors. Why everybody complains so bad about not having ship interior stuff and then, they care so much about ESD shape?? lol, i will never understand. Ship interiors are shapeless, and still, people doesnt seem to care about it, but they are really mad about having a ESD that it doenst like like a space station (in their words, anyways), i see ESD perfect as it is. Since its impossible to make things with a real size. What about planets? asteroids? miining stations??

As i said, wasting time and resources on things that are not important. Too bad people cant see this.
    edited March 2014
    Says a lot about the quality of the assets in this game, wouldn't you say?

I'm not saying it's too big. I'm saying it's too small. Earth Spacedock can accommodate ships as large as an Odyssey-class. That picture looks like it can barely hold an Ambassador.

No it cannot, the ESD cannot even fit a Galaxy class. Go watch The TOS Movies.

TNG having a Galaxy class enter a ESD style base was an error, that actually upset the designer of the Star Base because it was too small for that. They literally just took a shot from the movies and superimposed the Ent-D over the Ent-A.

STO putting an Odyssey in the old ESD was just to show it off, wasn't realistic at all.

The new ESD interior is more canon then the old one.

Don't being up the exterior ESD model, that is like 2 times bigger then it should be, it is out of scale just like K-7 and DS9.
    edited March 2014
    greyhame3 wrote: »
    Funny thing about bugs. All software has it, and spending time just getting rid of them is generally a wasted effort if the bug itself isn't actually causing any major problems. And sometimes fixing these bugs actually causes more bugs to show up, even in seemingly unrelated areas.

Whatever operating system you use likely has bugs from it's first incarnation still.

TD;LR, spending time fixing bugs is important (and only important bugs), only fixing bugs is a waste of time.

OH COME ON. Dont compare STO with ANY OTHER SOFTWARE OUT THERE. STO is the buggest thing ive ever seen in my life. And there are not possible excuses anymore. Not since long time ago. Sorry but another attempt to justifiy the useless skills of cryptic solving bugs will not work. Well thats true, if you dont solve bugs, and you keep releasing stuff, of course there will be more bugs already, in the end, everything will be a bug, cuz they are never solved (they dont even try anyways). So tell me, why is cryptic's justification to NOT INVEST NOT EVEN A SECOND ON FIXING BUGS???.

I am still waiting since i started playing someone to give me a reasonable explanation to this. LOL. The price will be really high xD.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The new ESD will look really far worst, that i can tell you. Of course, tere will be out there always the same people saying "good job cryptic", since thats the only thing they can say. So, for your words, they should just eraste Qonos completely and revamp Q'onos to make it a REAL CITY??? because if we think this way, they will need to change almost every zone of the game. Sorry, its a fact, starting with the ship interiors. Why everybody complains so bad about not having ship interior stuff and then, they care so much about ESD shape?? lol, i will never understand. Ship interiors are shapeless, and still, people doesnt seem to care about it, but they are really mad about having a ESD that it doenst like like a space station (in their words, anyways), i see ESD perfect as it is. Since its impossible to make things with a real size. What about planets? asteroids? miining stations??

As i said, wasting time and resources on things that are not important. Too bad people cant see this.

They DID already revamp Qo'noS though. The original First City used to be just a few hallways in the council chamber. You couldn't even go outside. They went back and rebuilt the whole city to be what it is today. It wasn't a waste at all.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And will the new ESD break any Foundry missions that use any of the items found on ESD like the last change did?

We know for a fact they intentionally moved the overused console by the transporter room as far away from it as possible...
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited March 2014
    No it cannot, the ESD cannot even fit a Galaxy class. Go watch The TOS Movies.

TNG having a Galaxy class enter a ESD style base was an error, that actually upset the designer of the Star Base because it was too small for that. They literally just took a shot from the movies and superimposed the Ent-D over the Ent-A.

STO putting an Odyssey in the old ESD was just to show it off, wasn't realistic at all.

The new ESD is more canon then the old one.

I suppose you haven't seen the screenshots for the new ESD then. There's a Vesta and other ships in the bay. New ESD is working off of the assumption that the modified footage of the Enterprise-D entering the bay is accurate.
    edited March 2014

Ok its obvious you are upset, great, you are allowed to be. But keep in mind you are one of how many who play? Indeed.

As for how it looks, have you been there yet? Have you actually walked around and seen the marvel which is the new ESD? I sense with this particular post i've quoted that you haven't. I suggest that in that instance you patch up tribble and see what its all about. "But i have data caps!", then sir I am sorry about that, but until you've tasted it you aren't allowed to form an opinion about it.
    edited March 2014
    I suppose you haven't seen the screenshots for the new ESD then. There's a Vesta and other ships in the bay. New ESD is working off of the assumption that the modified footage of the Enterprise-D entering the bay is accurate.

Cryptic wants to show off their toys.

Also Taco has said some ship models are temporary.

And no, the new one is not. The new one is 3.7KM diameter which is the estimated size of the one seen in the TOS movies., go ask the guy who made it, I did.

I've flown around the interior with the demo viewer tool, it is that big.
    edited March 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Taco gave you a huge explanation on page 3.

Do you realize that the entire team is NOT working on ONLY this? Go look at the Tribble patch notes. There's new content coming AND bug fixes.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, yea, thats what they say every week. I DONT CARE ABOUT NEW CONTENT, I DONT WANT IT. Only dumb people keep waiting for new content knowing in how bad shape is the game right now. I dont have any other adjecitve to describe em, sorry.

I just want cryptic to pay attention on fixing fails and bugs. What i dont want is some words from em on the patch notes that they fixed 3 stupid not important bugs, and then after the patch, that is not true or they broke 100 more things. This is what they do week after week (well, we didnt have any "patches" in the past 2 maintenances so xDD). I dont understand why people can be so blind, seriously. Maybe thats the reason cryptic never fix anything?? because half of their staff is pumping up cryptic writting in the forums?? well, that will be an explanation, actually.

And what will happen next? so ESD is re vamped with a new size, what is going to happen to Q'onos, New Romulus, the ship interiors and all the other stuff?? oh wait, dont answer, nothing is going to happen. They re-size what they want, and the rest, into the obvlivion. Because that is what they do. Some people just didnt like the actual ESD, so cryptic, to keep people calm, decided to work on something people actually wants (OW THAT IS REALLY AWESOME LOL). So they think, that after the ESD is complete, people will be happy and they can just keep focusing efforts on the new stupid grind reputation and new lockboxes and new c-store stuff. Dont you see guys?? nah, thats the problem, the majority of you guys dont see a thing.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    Edge, can I just ask that you load up Tribble and take a look for yourself? It might make this discussion a little easier if you had seen it for yourself.

How so?
    lan451 wrote: »

Current ESD is not at the top of the station, it's in the "Bell" below the mushroom top. If you look out the windows, and up, you'll see the underside of the mushroom. http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3680/13219597305_b934543802_o.jpg (I made a mistake in that image, the bell is 6000' across, 3000' diameter. Current ESD still has a 400' diameter)

EDIT: The docking bay will hold an Odyssey without issue, and with plenty of room to spare for other ships. However, the Odyssey won't fit through the docking bay doors.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    So you want them to not revamp old content, but you say you don't want new content either.

You say you want them to fix bugs, but when they do you don't believe them.

Are you off your meds or something? Cause the only one being unreasonable here is you.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited March 2014
    OH COME ON. Dont compare STO with ANY OTHER SOFTWARE OUT THERE. STO is the buggest thing ive ever seen in my life. And there are not possible excuses anymore. Not since long time ago. Sorry but another attempt to justifiy the useless skills of cryptic solving bugs will not work. Well thats true, if you dont solve bugs, and you keep releasing stuff, of course there will be more bugs already, in the end, everything will be a bug, cuz they are never solved (they dont even try anyways). So tell me, why is cryptic's justification to NOT INVEST NOT EVEN A SECOND ON FIXING BUGS???.

I am still waiting since i started playing someone to give me a reasonable explanation to this. LOL. The price will be really high xD.
    Why not? It's software like any other software out there. You also clearly don't have a lot of experience with software or video games if this is the buggiest software you've ever seen.

Here's a hint with how important bugs are no matter the software.

1) Does it make the software not work? If yes, fix immediately.
    2) Does the software still work, but the work around is onerous? Try to get it fixed
    3) How easily reproduced is the error? If easy, make it a higher priority to fix
    4) Is the bug easy to fix? If not, how much of a problem is it leaving it in? (based on the two above)
    5) If the bug only shows up rarely, and is not really causing major problem, note it and ignore it unless it's an easy fix.
    6) if you can't reproduce it, note it and see if you can reproduce it later maybe.
    7) Did the fix introduce a worse bug? Depending on time and the severity of the fixed bug, revert and leave bug in.

And no matter what, no software company is ever only going to spend time fixing bugs, unless the software is done evolving (as in it's a static product they never plan on adding new features to). They will fix bugs and add new features at the same time, with the bugs being fixed depending greatly on the criteria mentioned about. And you not caring about a particular feature is not a reason to not do it since other people may like and want the feature.
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic wants to show off their toys. <<--

Also Taco has said some ship models are temporary.

And no, the new one is not. The new one is 3.8KM diameter which is the estimated size of the one seen in the TOS movies., go ask the guy who made it, I did. <<--

The two arrows in red contradict one another.

The whole purpose of having the ships in the docking area is to show them off. They won't be ble to do that if they scale down the size of ESD, since anything larger than an Excelsior won't fit through the doors. (Assuming we are using the Star Trek III size for ESD.)

Since the current ESD is following the TNG footage size, you're telling me they are going to scale the station down to a 3.8 km diameter? Including the outside? 90% of the ships in the game wont be able to manually dock anymore.
    edited March 2014
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, yea, thats what they say every week. I DONT CARE ABOUT NEW CONTENT, I DONT WANT IT. Only dumb people keep waiting for new content knowing in how bad shape is the game right now. I dont have any other adjecitve to describe em, sorry.

I just want cryptic to pay attention on fixing fails and bugs. What i dont want is some words from em on the patch notes that they fixed 3 stupid not important bugs, and then after the patch, that is not true or they broke 100 more things. This is what they do week after week (well, we didnt have any "patches" in the past 2 maintenances so xDD). I dont understand why people can be so blind, seriously. Maybe thats the reason cryptic never fix anything?? because half of their staff is pumping up cryptic writting in the forums?? well, that will be an explanation, actually.

Ok since you are still ranting about bugs, lets hear from you. What bugs are you so upset about that demands cryptic stop what they are doing to fix them? What bugs are so game breaking for you that they cant wait any longer? Since you are ranting about them, you obviously know what these bugs are, so enlighten us please. What are these bugs you are ranting about so incessantly?