Install Arc
Options

Starbase ?? What wrong with it

Comments

• Options
    cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    I believe they are making an effort to adhere to the canon dimensions of ESD, even if that means some of the newer/larger ships won't fit.

I totally get that. But its not like the ships couldn't fit inside the dome. The barrier was the doors being to small, so "retrofit" the doors to be wider.

It would look basically the same while logically allowing larger ships. Win-win
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    I believe they are making an effort to adhere to the canon dimensions of ESD, even if that means some of the newer/larger ships won't fit.

Well the marketing team will want the new ships to be in there so people can see them, so they will be shrunk to fit.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Well the marketing team will want the new ships to be in there so people can see them, so they will be shrunk to fit.

Yeah, I would bet most players don't even notice.
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Well you have that now, everything is accessible without zoning.

Nice! Now I can tinker unhindered.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just thought of this: Q stated that "he decided to have a little fun with ESD", so he put the old one back (the real ESD we know today).

So if he had fun with it, he may have messed with the scales...

There... Problem solved... It's all Q's fault.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I just thought of this: Q stated that "he decided to have a little fun with ESD", so he put the old one back (the real ESD we know today).

I don't imagine Q being that benevolent. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Fair point. I did think that was a smart way to quickly switch it since they couldn't do the big epic battle thing. (Though I'd have preferred an epic KDF-FED event where their main hubs are destroyed and J'mpok or Quinn are revealed as Undine)
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't imagine Q being that benevolent. :P

Well he DID over-scale every room in the process, to much of an anoyance to some of us... Basically he is teasing us.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    mouertemouerte Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I for one love the new ESD looks fracking stupendous cant hardly believe
    I'm in the same game :D

Remember when I first started playing this game 2 years a go.
    The old tutorial and first visit to old ESD almost stop me from playing this game
    felt like I was trying a game from early 2000's + a bit cheap at that.
    So godsdamn happy I did not leave but I can see other new players doing that
    popping in and going maaa this looks bad and cheap and leave the game for good.

So I see ESD revamp as much needed ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well he DID over-scale every room in the process, to much of an anoyance to some of us... Basically he is teasing us.

Q will be Q.
    mouerte wrote: »
    I for one love the new ESD looks fracking stupendous cant hardly believe
    I'm in the same game :D

Remember when I first started playing this game 2 years a go.
    The old tutorial and first visit to old ESD almost stop me from playing this game
    felt like I was trying a game from early 2000's + a bit cheap at that.
    So godsdamn happy I did not leave but I can see other new players doing that
    popping in and going maaa this looks bad and cheap and leave the game for good.

So I see ESD revamp as much needed ;)

It's like a whole new game~
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And im tired of people like you. The ones that will make this game be throwing away to the toilet. Thank you very much. Complains are precisely what makes a game better. Thats the reason STO is to glithed and so full of fails and bugs. Because nobody complains. Everybody is like a robot, following the "good job cryptic" statement evrytime they make a stupid non important advance or they fix 1 tiny bug.

Nobody ever complains? This whole place is a mass of negativity.

Welcome to the forums. You must be new here.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    You want something productive for these poor out of work people? I HAVE IT: they could actually add ship interiors to the ships that have next to nothing like my scimitar or recluse! Time would be better spent, ESD was fine, its easier to use than first city, and looks about like one would expect a round space station to look.

Also, I suspect the artists work on everything, not specialized, so likely these supposedly idle folks are helping out with ship art, the new content, the new costumes and faces, and so on.

I'm all for the new esd design :D
    But if you want to see the all time worst interior in sto ill invite you to my jem dread broom closet lmao!
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    o.O

Why does the other screenshot show an almost 100m increase?

:::tacopalm:::

Image A
    Image B

In both images, the dimensions are not of the ship itself, but of a plane I'm drawing below the ship. I'm lining the edges of the plane up with the extents of the ship to show it's size without having to go through the bother of using Max's idiotic measuring tools.

In Image A, I only bothered to make the box match up to the length, because I was just doing it quickly to show that it matched canon. Note that the WIDTH of Image A's blue box, does NOT line up with the ship!

In Image B, I matched both dimensions, so the width AND length are representative of the ship. (Note that the green box's edges line up with the ship in each direction)

Hey Tacofangs, I am curious, if the size of the doors is such a problem, why not just "retrofit" them to be wider?

I would assume post Q reverting ESD, they would have had to in order to get the ships in.

I realize this would take more time but a possible future addition?

[As a side note, while I didn't think it was necessary and personally find it a bit too mall like, I do like the new look. ]

I never claimed it was a problem, I was just explaining which ships would fit and which wouldn't.

Everyone seems to think that every ship in the fleet is supposed to go hangout inside the docking bay when they're at ESD. IMO that's not the case. There are MANY other facilities available both in Sol, and in the Earth's immediate space. Plus ships can hang out outside without an issue. ESD's Docking By is used (imo) for dignitaries, offloading shoreleave (the ship would then leave the bay), major repairs/overhauls on important vessels, etc.

Besides, increasing the door size isn't trivial, and does nothing to increase the space inside. When you make those doors bigger, you have to remove large sections of the dome's hull. Those sections are living quarters, office spaces, etc. You can't just remove them without significant relocation of anyone that lives/works/etc. in those sections.
    That makes sense. I stand corrected, the STO Sovereign adheres to the canon Sovereign dimensions.

Nevertheless, I must point out that anything larger/wider than a Sovereign can't fit in the bay. Namely, the Regent-class (length).

O RLY?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    max1002max1002 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I love the new look. I was looking around and amazed at the detail.
  • Options
    stormf0stormf0 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Is the revamp really necessary off Starbase ESD ?

I rather see some good storylines instead of a revamped Base what was working great.

What about you ?

I'd actually like to see the Fed interiors redesigned too. I've been watching TNG lately, and the corridors, especially on the Crew Deck, are just too huge. Did the Federation welcome some new species that is twice the height of the average humanoid so as to require huge corridors? A giant Gorn could hold a rock above his head with another Gorn standing on the rock. I would gladly spend Zen to get a more reaiistic cooridor size for my ship interior.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    :::tacopalm:::

Image A
    Image B

In both images, the dimensions are not of the ship itself, but of a plane I'm drawing below the ship. I'm lining the edges of the plane up with the extents of the ship to show it's size without having to go through the bother of using Max's idiotic measuring tools.

Finally! Some else that thinks 3DS Max is bogus!

Heh. What about the Galaxy-Class though? I don't think it fits. I've tried.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I never claimed it was a problem, I was just explaining which ships would fit and which wouldn't.

Everyone seems to think that every ship in the fleet is supposed to go hangout inside the docking bay when they're at ESD. IMO that's not the case. There are MANY other facilities available both in Sol, and in the Earth's immediate space. Plus ships can hang out outside without an issue. ESD's Docking By is used (imo) for dignitaries, offloading shoreleave (the ship would then leave the bay), major repairs/overhauls on important vessels, etc.

Besides, increasing the door size isn't trivial, and does nothing to increase the space inside. When you make those doors bigger, you have to remove large sections of the dome's hull. Those sections are living quarters, office spaces, etc. You can't just remove them without significant relocation of anyone that lives/works/etc. in those sections.

I wasn't accusing you of that, I meant since the reason some ships shouldn't "fit" is due to the door not being big enough, then naturally Starfleet would probably make them larger.

Even though ships sizes have increased fairly dramatically in the 150+ years between Search for Spock and STO, it seems weird Starfleet hasn't made the doors any bigger lol.

I understand not all ships are going to hang out there and that yes, it would not be a quick weekends work, but it still makes a lot of sense

Yall are free to keep it the same as it is now but I was merely suggesting one logical way to put larger ships in the dome.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like the new ESD. Feels suitably huge, miles in diameter, not something I can do a lap around in a few minutes (if still not big enough, but closer :D ).
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Will Sulu will have his own office, thus ending the "Where's Sulu "era?

Where will the new screen shot "selfie" area be? So I can plan my "photo bomb" runs.:P
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    Will Sulu will have his own office, thus ending the "Where's Sulu "era?

Where will the new screen shot "selfie" area be? So I can plan my "photo bomb" runs.:P

Sulu is outside Quinn's office.
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You know taco, after all this talking about ships that would or would not fit there was one small thing I was hoping you could do. I know it wouldn't fit in the doors but could you briefly put a Scimitar in the dome of ESD and take a screen shot of it through the windows for all of us to see. I have been wanting to see one in there for laughs.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    No.
    I can only place ships that have been through the rather involved conversion process from characters to placeable geometry. The Scimitar has not done that yet, and I'm not going to do all that just for a joke pic. Sorry.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No.
    I can only place ships that have been through the rather involved conversion process from characters to placeable geometry. The Scimitar has not done that yet, and I'm not going to do all that just for a joke pic. Sorry.

Understood.
  • Options
    tyranthraxisiityranthraxisii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    AND, Current ESD is a real immersion breaker... It's just too clumsy, and it's really not that different from when this was ESD

that cannot be unseen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TREQGl54BU8&feature=endscreen
    I thought WoW's forums had angry elitist snobs, but I never could have imagined the level STO forums has.:confused:
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014

How long is the Regent anyway? In the comparison photo I created earlier, I stated that anything wider, or longer by more than ~100m than a Sovereign would impact the center pillar if it tried to move completely through the doors. The Sovereign of 685m barely fit between the shell and the pillar.

I know, I'm getting repetitive. Something just doesn't seem right with these ships that are massive compared to Kirk's TMP Connie, having seemingly no trouble parking in a small space. And yet, a Galaxy is too wide to fit through the doors...
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I stated that anything wider, or longer by more than ~100m than a Sovereign would impact the center pillar if it tried to move completely through the doors. The Sovereign of 685m barely fit between the shell and the pillar.

I know, I'm getting repetitive. Something just doesn't seem right with these ships that are massive compared to Kirk's TMP Connie, having seemingly no trouble parking in a small space. And yet, a Galaxy is too wide to fit through the doors...

The Galaxy class is 467.1m wide. Which is 200m wider then the Sovereign and 300m wider then the Connie Refit.

Blame its wide TRIBBLE saucer.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/Adam_Heinbuch/StarfleetTop.jpg
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i must be the only reasonable person playing this game.

Oh my!

Posting that, in this thread?

I haven't laughed that hard in ages...

Thanks for that! I needed a pick me up...
    I AM A PC PROGRAMMER (Coder, to say the exact words). I KNOW perfectly how things are done and the time it takes to do anything, desing, code, test, whatever.

And that is one of the reasons, i am so upset. Because i have base knowledge that cryptic is not doing things right. In fact, they ARE DOING NOTHING.

Do you realize that cryptic is formed by thousands of people?? only STO have a minimum quantity of about 50 people working on it (probably much more)?? This is the way things work: one team of 10-15 people work on new content. Another team of 10-15 people work on fixing bugs. Another team of 10-15 people work on tests. And so on. THATS THE WAY they should work or any other company. Now, if they dont have a clue how to do their own work.. that is bad, really bad. Any people can do almost anything in their team, but any decent company have specific guys working on specific things. Thats how companies work, and specially companies that make videogames. Now if you dont understand this, then you dont know anything about it.

Now tell me, where the hell are those guys that are supossed to fix bugs?? Cryptic just decided to just disolve that team and no more fixing bugs. They save money, time and job spots.

I will tell this millions of times, Cryptic have no excuses anymore, and anyone that tries to justify em, its not really a smart person. On the opposite (or he is just another cryptic employer, i think cryptic is doing this, placing people in the forums to make the sensation that a lot of people is ok with the way they do things).

And I find this dubious.

A real programmer would have better syntax... I'll leave the long form quote for grammar checks... Ouch!
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kimmym wrote: »
    And I find this dubious.

A real programmer would have better syntax... I'll leave the long form quote for grammar checks... Ouch!

If one's coding syntax and their text syntax are comparable...think about it. ;)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If one's coding syntax and their text syntax are comparable...think about it. ;)
    A never ending source of job security for whoever fixes the bug. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I would like to see you writting in your non-native languaje. As i said, some of you are only kids. I guess this game is full of kids lol.