test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[RUMORED] Undine lockbox discussion

roboticzebraroboticzebra Member Posts: 39 Arc User
** SPOILERS!!**

The ships form the lockbox are from what i read was the nicor cruiser and the lobi being a Dromias Cruiser. These shouldn't be in the hands of player because its simply against canon, these are BIO SHIPS made in fluidic space made by the UNDINE, these ships should only be flown by the undine its just not right that we are capable of flying a vessel armed with weapons able to blown a planet to bits???

Personally i don't have any reason to hate the undine they're a great enemy but we shouldn't fly there ships, a compromise to this could be integrating bio tech to our ships ( which have a possibility due to the uni consoles also mentioned in the article) This shouldn't be a thing! this is like flying a borg cube around in sector space, its simply not appropriate.

All in all though this article could be as i said earlier complete lies which would make me slightly happy if the undine ships weren't a thing.

However the possible and very likely level increase intrigues mes very much.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
Post edited by roboticzebra on

Comments

• Options
    doomfrostdoomfrost Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well hopefully it's just a rumor.
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Now all we need is star fleet captains flying borg cubes and I can call this the most lore killing game in the history of trek.:P:rolleyes:
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would be very happy if none of those things happened. :|
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The only way I can see us getting Undine ships is the same way that we got Borg ships. The Tal Shiar ships are a Borg/Romulan Hybrid ship so the Undine Lockbox would give an Undine/X Hybrid Race where X is some unknown alien species that we may or may not know of. Although, we already have Tholian, Voth, Hirogen, Dominion, and Temporal ships so it wouldn't surprise most of us that Cryptic introduces regular Undine ships even it makes zero sense for us to be able to pilot them.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I can't wait to fly an undine ship.

At this stage, after everything the game has done that someone thinks is not canon, I honestly could not care less if it makes sense of not. Maybe I would have agreed 4 years ago but now I just want to have fun, not worry about every detail.

This is not a simulation of trek, it's meant to be a fun representation of it. Try to enjoy it, as it's coming whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    it was never meant to be a star trek simulator...so whatever floats their boat will be implemented, if it sells.
    The game stopped being immersive for me after 1-2 month playing, so something that breaks immersion is not an issue for me anymore.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I agree its not meant to be a Star Trek sim but adding this is just stupid, because making these vessels live up to HALF of how powerful they were on the tv show would mean it could single handedly kill 7.5 borg vessels and not take any damage. adding this and the borg ships are pretty much the only thing i would object to for this game.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    If it were a non-organic ship that adopted the design of Undine ships, I'd understand. Otherwise it just wouldn't make sense to see an organic vessel built for one pilot to be crewed by bridge and duty officers.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    it was never meant to be a star trek simulator...so whatever floats their boat will be implemented, if it sells.
    The game stopped being immersive for me after 1-2 month playing, so something that breaks immersion is not an issue for me anymore.
    doomfrost wrote: »
    If it were a non-organic ship that adopted the design of Undine ships, I'd understand. Otherwise it just wouldn't make sense to see an organic vessel built for one pilot to be crewed by bridge and duty officers.

Exactly the point im trying to make, the need to slightly alter their design IF what this article is true
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Otherwise it just wouldn't make sense to see an organic vessel built for one pilot to be crewed by bridge and duty officers.
    For what it's worth, lockbox/lobi ships are supposed to be 'captured'.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »

Yes, granted that may be the case but with these ships are engineered to ONLY be flown by a member of species 8472.

Thus why im kinda angry on their choice to possible implement it into the game.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hmm Devs.. next foundry challenge... explain how us bipedal scum can fly the bioships? :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I can't wait to fly an undine ship.

At this stage, after everything the game has done that someone thinks is not canon, I honestly could not care less if it makes sense of not. Maybe I would have agreed 4 years ago but now I just want to have fun, not worry about every detail.

This is not a simulation of trek, it's meant to be a fun representation of it. Try to enjoy it, as it's coming whether you like it or not.

^^ This. Can't wait to fly my own Nicor. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »

Don't tell me, now we're going to find out that the Ferengi nabbed the secret Undine recipe out from under Papa Undine's nose and are now growing Undine ships thus collapsing Papa Undine's monopoly. :P
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Don't tell me, now we're going to find out that the Ferengi nabbed the secret Undine recipe out from under Papa Undine's nose and are now growing Undine ships thus collapsing Papa Undine's monopoly. :P

Nah, it's far simpler: Cryptic just wants to make buckloads of money, and we just want to fly fun and exotic ships. :) Nothing more to it, really.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Two words: Power. Creep.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    hmm Devs.. next foundry challenge... explain how us bipedal scum can fly the bioships? :O

Talking of the Foundry... I can't find the mission in your sig. Love your stuff mate. :rolleyes:
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    If this is true i am looking forward to how they are going to justify this in game for both the people who follow canon religiously and those who want it for fun.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    If this is true i am looking forward to how they are going to justify this in game for both the people who follow canon religiously and those who want it for fun.

I think Cryptic has their own canon going on right now. It's just a lock box canon with a Star Trek flair.
  • Options
    artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Please god no.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Same way Tin Man was able to be piloted by a "modern" humanoid when it was "built" by an alien species.

Ether the ship doesn't care who pilots it as long as it has a crew that gives it a purpose, or the ship is intelligent but a slave to species 8472 and views the Fed, KDF, Rommies as it's liberators that freed it.

Moya from Farscape for example.

tin man needed someone to communicate with, it was telepathic and found tam elbran who was on the red line between sanity and insanity. had it not found someone to serve through its own despair, it would of killed itself. FYI it wasnt built for anyone however it did have internal space for lifeforms the same with Moya. she didnt need the pilot or any of the crew and could of just as easily opened up the hatches and let them into space. these bioships are different, they dont appear to have their own consciousness and they need direct input from a pilot, it makes sense as far as 8472 is concerned because they like to control what they have around them rather then having a ship or its computer telling the crew that it is not following these instructions or those instructions...
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I hope its anything except undine ships, some stuff needs to stay npc only and be used by players.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    i hope, I PRAY to the helix that cbs denies them the use of the undine ships for player use at the last minute!
  • Options
    syndonaisyndonai Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, the icon for the ground armour set looks interesting, so I'm interested to see if there'll be a costume option to boot (much like the voth/hirogen, which seems to be the direction they're going in nowadays).

If thats true, I hope they stick a decent colour pallette on it this time.
    PKsymbol.JPG

Peacekeeper High Command
    Scorpius - Zelbinion Mk II
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    On one level ... as much as I would dislike it, I would be "okay" with these ships.

Why?

A few words:

Temporal Lockbox Ship.

Biggest Lore fail of STO I have ever seen since I joined the game nearly 3 years ago.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    OP: Jem'hadar ships... Cardassian Ships... Tholian ships... Romulan Ships... Mirror ships (ok those MIGHT work)... Future ships... Voth Ships... Breen ships...

In canon, there would be no way that the federation would let this amount of captains pilot those ships, yet we do....

This is a Star Trek THEMED space sim... Not a Star Trek MMO.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If all of this is to be believed (which I believe it is) then nothing will come of this complaint. Cryptic have already got the material ready, and as with tradition (especially lately) once we get a new enemy to fight, we get to fight them with their own tech too. Lock Boxes started getting stupid with the Elachi, and now they've just gone a whole new level of stupid. That wont change though, cause some people want these ships and it's cash on delivery for Cryptic.

People should do as I do; I don't like all these alien designs, so I just don't use them. Cryptic would make more money from me if they released a better Galaxy or a revamped star cruiser, but alas, I'm not important enough. :P
    anazonda wrote: »
    This is a Star Trek THEMED space sim... Not a Star Trek MMO.
    I like to think of this game much alike some films. You get films that are based upon source material. This game, to me, is based upon Star Trek. I get that it's a game, and that writers need some creativity, but Cryptic/PWE/CBS have ruined Trek lore with their decisions here.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't get all the fuss.
    Borg ships would be worse... although at this point, it's just better to ignore what players are flying. It's not all to hard for me to focus on the story ahead, instead of all the strange alien ships.

What hurts more is how Cryptic dealt with the Voth. That story was just rushed... now the were already exterimanted by the Undine.
    Man, I would have loved a big battle between the two, with us in the middle.
    Not just a "Oh, this was the Voth zone. Undine killed them off. Have fun killing Undine.".
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Not just a "Oh, this was the Voth zone. Undine killed them off. Have fun killing Undine.".

Indeed they did rush that arc quickly, however the fuss isnt about because people are flying alien ships, its about what the ship represents. if i could i would fly a bio ship infused with starfleet etc tech and make it somewhat believable and different than flying an iconic Voyager ship.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Borg ships would be worse... although at this point, it's just better to ignore what players are flying. It's not all to hard for me to focus on the story ahead, instead of all the strange alien ships.
    At some point, the Borg are bound to return as the big bad, and when that happens, Borg Probes and Borg Spheres will become playable, I'll put money on it (not in to it).

They might have said they're not doing it, but they say that a lot lately. Take everything the Devs say with a pinch of salt, that way, when an untruth turns around, you're not entirely gobsmacked.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
This discussion has been closed.