Install Arc
Options

[RUMORED] Undine lockbox discussion

Comments

• Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    therealmt wrote: »
    What do u expect out of STO these days? Its pretty clear we're gonna get Undine ships in lockboxes. Its no longer STO, its a MMO with a Trek touch to it based on a Chinese Pay2win Grind model.

kkthx

no, not it is not, if it was, we would be unable to get zen using dilitium, it would take months to get to max level, and you would actually NEED to buy those endgame ships from the c-store and they would cost $50 for one on one character.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    no, not it is not, if it was, we would be unable to get zen using dilitium, it would take months to get to max level, and you would actually NEED to buy those endgame ships from the c-store and they would cost $50 for one on one character.

Too bad people ignore the fact you can get everything in this game without spending a dime.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Because Cryptic is really the Borg collective and they like their technical names?
    By this logic, the 1st Lock Box would have been a Species 2000 Lock Box, the 2nd Lock Box would have been a Species 180 Lock Box, and the 6th would have been a Species 3783 Lock Box.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    By this logic, the 1st Lock Box would have been a Species 2000 Lock Box, the 2nd Lock Box would have been a Species 180 Lock Box, and the 6th would have been a Species 3783 Lock Box.

Well, Borg aren't always perfect :P.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    After a seeing a post in the subreddit /r/sto showing spoilers for season nine (9) or at least ingame files that were discovered for the tribble server http://www.iqfleet.org/leaks ** note this may be just complete lies** In this article it shows pictures of the undine Lockboxamong other intresting things. Check it out.

** SPOILERS!!**

The ships form the lockbox are from what i read was the nicor cruiser and the lobi being a Dromias Cruiser. These shouldn't be in the hands of player because its simply against canon, these are BIO SHIPS made in fluidic space made by the UNDINE, these ships should only be flown by the undine its just not right that we are capable of flying a vessel armed with weapons able to blown a planet to bits???

Personally i don't have any reason to hate the undine they're a great enemy but we shouldn't fly there ships, a compromise to this could be integrating bio tech to our ships ( which have a possibility due to the uni consoles also mentioned in the article) This shouldn't be a thing! this is like flying a borg cube around in sector space, its simply not appropriate.

All in all though this article could be as i said earlier complete lies which would make me slightly happy if the undine ships weren't a thing.

However the possible and very likely level increase intrigues mes very much.

One word.. Scimitar
    Another word.. Thalaron

Yeah.. the creators of this game are unlikely to not add something because something logically wouldnt be in a faction's shipyard

What federation personal (excluding the mad admirals and marquis) allow a captain to use thalaron weapons given their murderous reputation?
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Honestly, I really want to keep an open mind about it all, but every attempt I make to try to rationalize player controlled Undine ships.. I come up with nothing that makes any kind of sense.

Alien/future ships, fine, they can be stripped down and refit. Undine ships, however, are living organisms. If it was something any species was able to strip out organs and replace them with interfaces that allowed it to operate, the Borg would have assimilated them without batting a cybernetic eyelash actuator.

Sure, the lockbox system has always been a thinly veiled grasp for the pockets of people wanting to use the stuff that the big bad guys use, but it has always been at least remotely plausible at its core. There is no rational explanation I can see for this situation beyond: "Hey, it will probably make some money." (For me, it's not a matter of supporting a feature, it's a matter of supporting a company that finds this sort of thing acceptable. All of my previous purchases, while personally beneficial, have primarily been a show of support for the choices the company/development team has made.)

I can only see two outcomes that I would be willing to accept/support:
    -Undine ships are limited to a very narrow (semi-/organic)selection of items.
    -The Borg have adapted. The horrors of semi-organic Cubes and Unimatrix will be unleashed in the near future. (We've only seen a 29th century drone in Voyager, but not a 29th century Borg vessel.)
  • Options
    devtrackerdevtracker Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I can't wait to fly an undine ship.

At this stage, after everything the game has done that someone thinks is not canon, I honestly could not care less if it makes sense of not. Maybe I would have agreed 4 years ago but now I just want to have fun, not worry about every detail.

This is not a simulation of trek, it's meant to be a fun representation of it. Try to enjoy it, as it's coming whether you like it or not.

By this logic it is now time for the T5 connie. It makes just as little sense as players flying an Undine ship.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pretty sure the precedent was long ago set by flying things like the tholian recluse and so on.

Just saying.

It started when we got to use non-faction ships to use in the first place. For a single msission - sure, maybe Starfleet will give you a captured ship and let you command it for that mission. But afterwards, it's back to studying the tech.

ANd you sure as hell won't be able to private buy a ship from the Ferengi and let it come part of Starfleet.

The Undine are not a big surprise here, and don't stretch credibility any more than all the previous lockbox and lobi ships that were added.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i will call them 8472 instead of undine because the former is canon and the latter always sounded silly and still does.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    If they do make an Undine lockbox there is no longer any canon argument about having a T5 connie, since both are equally against canon.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    devtracker wrote: »
    If they do make an Undine lockbox there is no longer any canon argument about having a T5 connie, since both are equally against canon.

except CBS said no to the T5 Connie, so it really does not matter. So please, people, stop being stupid and brining up wanting a T5 connie here, f you want it so much, go complain to CBS.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i will call them 8472 instead of undine because the former is canon and the latter always sounded silly and still does.

it makes a little sense when you use it's mythological meaning. if you interpret luidic space as something similar to water (which, if i creall correctly, you do fly your ships through soem kind of liquid). and in mythology, they can be either good or bad.... quiet similar to said species 8472.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    except CBS said no to the T5 Connie, so it really does not matter. So please, people, stop being stupid and brining up wanting a T5 connie here, f you want it so much, go complain to CBS.

and even if such a thing was considered then i want the t5 miranda. but enough of that.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Trek species are full of mythological names: Vulcans, Romulans, etc. Giving 8472 a mythological name fits within the mold of Star Trek.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    it makes a little sense when you use it's mythological meaning. if you interpret luidic space as something similar to water (which, if i creall correctly, you do fly your ships through soem kind of liquid). and in mythology, they can be either good or bad.... quiet similar to said species 8472.

it makes sense because there is no official name for them and on voyager they were known as "species 8472" but beyond that, nothing. if you are gonna argue about it otherwise then i may as well call them "flying cement trucks with fairy wings" or "flying bog rats" or something else silly.

im typically no nonsense when it comes to established canon in the prime universe and as cosmic mentioned.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

By this logic, there would have been no argument for the other boxes, but that wasn't the case.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    God you canon pedants annoy me to no end.

The Undine name is being used with the approval of the owner of the IP, CBS.

You can now consider Undine as canon as a result of that.

Have a nice day.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    God you canon pedants annoy me to no end.

The Undine name is being used with the approval of the owner of the IP, CBS.

You can now consider Undine as canon as a result of that.

Have a nice day.

CBS gave them a shell name, anyone can do that as mentioned above.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    CBS gave them a shell name, anyone can do that as mentioned above.

I find it patently absurd that some fanboy in a basement somewhere throwing a fit over the use of the name can somehow have more canon credibility than the owner, however.

Ive always found ST canon discussions ridiculous.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Totally agree with this. I would like it to be called the 8472 lockbox but odds are it'll be the undine lockbox. Which is semi fine, just don't expect me to agree to it hehe.
    I find it patently absurd that some fanboy in a basement somewhere throwing a fit over the use of the name can somehow have more canon credibility than the owner, however.

STO is not canon by any means. As stormie once put it (and i'm sure others have as well) STO is soft canon. Yes, CBS has to approve certain things like they do with anything that touches their IP but it's not official unless it's on screen or they deem it canon (like they have done for a few books).
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Canon discussions aren't really that hard. If it was on a TV or movie screen it's canon. If not, it's not. As such, "Undine" is not canon unless we see a new installment of Star Trek using that designation on a screen.

It's the "apocryphal" discussions that are actually interesting and fun, if you are involved in the IP. And just because you are doesn't mean you are a basement-dwelling obsessed being, it actually shows you care. And this feeling is challenged when, for example, a company purchases the license to create a game based on that IP and establishes fundamental changes to the material we saw and expected to see. Usually that's shrugged off with a "evolution" argument, yet originality and development without majorly rewriting everything to appeal to a "new age" or whatever is a possibility - if you put some effort into it, that is.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Honestly, I really want to keep an open mind about it all, but every attempt I make to try to rationalize player controlled Undine ships.. I come up with nothing that makes any kind of sense.

Alien/future ships, fine, they can be stripped down and refit. Undine ships, however, are living organisms. If it was something any species was able to strip out organs and replace them with interfaces that allowed it to operate, the Borg would have assimilated them without batting a cybernetic eyelash actuator.

Sure, the lockbox system has always been a thinly veiled grasp for the pockets of people wanting to use the stuff that the big bad guys use, but it has always been at least remotely plausible at its core. There is no rational explanation I can see for this situation beyond: "Hey, it will probably make some money." (For me, it's not a matter of supporting a feature, it's a matter of supporting a company that finds this sort of thing acceptable. All of my previous purchases, while personally beneficial, have primarily been a show of support for the choices the company/development team has made.)

I can only see two outcomes that I would be willing to accept/support:
    -Undine ships are limited to a very narrow (semi-/organic)selection of items.
    -The Borg have adapted. The horrors of semi-organic Cubes and Unimatrix will be unleashed in the near future. (We've only seen a 29th century drone in Voyager, but not a 29th century Borg vessel.)

I agree wholeheartedly. Undine ships are not something you can just slap a cybernetic interface onto. Even ignoring the likelihood that the ship would be actively trying to kill intruders, if Undine ships could so easily be reconfigured for a conventional crew, the war with the Borg would have been over so much quicker.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Canon discussions aren't really that hard. If it was on a TV or movie screen it's canon. If not, it's not. As such, "Undine" is not canon unless we see a new installment of Star Trek using that designation on a screen.

It's the "apocryphal" discussions that are actually interesting and fun, if you are involved in the IP. And just because you are doesn't mean you are a basement-dwelling obsessed being, it actually shows you care. And this feeling is challenged when, for example, a company purchases the license to create a game based on that IP and establishes fundamental changes to the material we saw and expected to see. Usually that's shrugged off with a "evolution" argument, yet originality and development without majorly rewriting everything to appeal to a "new age" or whatever is a possibility - if you put some effort into it, that is.

The TV or Movie screentime definition is bunk from the outset. Much of the canon comes from the books and boardgames associated with the IP from back in the TOS era.

It is a very narrow and frankly self-defeating viewpoint to limit whats "star trek" and what isnt to a product that hasnt produced anything screen related in a decade (assuming of course that the reboot franchise is excluded like many seem to think it ought to be, which is extremely hypocritical to your definition... makes me wonder where you stand on JJTrek)
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »

By this logic, you throw out every single game, book, comic, etc ever made for ANY series.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    By this logic, you throw out every single game, book, comic, etc ever made for ANY series.

You dont have to "throw it away", it just isnt canon. Its kind of like fiction and non fiction in RL. Just because something is fiction doesnt mean you "throw it away"; most people actually enjoy fiction more than non fiction. But regardless of what you enjoy most, one is "real", and the other isnt. And in Trek, what is considered canon is fact, while what is not canon is more like "opinion".
  • Options
    edited March 2014

You missed my point. There was an actual reason CBS said "no", and that reason was because they thought it didnt make sense. So if they have relaxed their standards enough to the point that they now think an Undine player ship makes sense, then maybe they now think a T5 connie makes sense too. I mean, its been over 4 years since launch, so its entirely possible they have changed their viewpoint over time, and if there is actually going to be an Undine lockbox that is only proof that they arent as concerned about the game's story making sense as they once were.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You dont have to "throw it away", it just isnt canon. Its kind of like fiction and non fiction in RL. Just because something is fiction doesnt mean you "throw it away"; most people actually enjoy fiction more for entertainment.

Be careful where you go with this line of thinking.

A classic example of the exact opposite is the Superman franchise.

On screen is considered the soft canon, and comics are considered the hard canon in most circles.

This is why canon discussions tend to be... frankly dumb... because there is no universal rule. Someone decided one day to say what canon was, a bunch of people followed him/her and here we are today.

In my viewpoint anything with the Star Trek label is canon, even this game. Does it cause conflicts with storylines across its iterations, you bet it does, but its a lot easier than picking and choose what is Star Trek and what isnt.
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Be careful where you go with this line of thinking.

A classic example of the exact opposite is the Superman franchise.

Except we're not talking about Superman, or any other franchise, we're taking specifically about Trek. And in Trek, the TV shows and movies are Canon, and the other things arent. That doesnt mean they are bad or worthelss or cant be enjoyed, they just arent canon. What other franchises do is completely irrelevant to Trek.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Except we're not talking about Superman, or any other franchise, we're taking specifically about Trek. And in Trek, the TV shows and movies are Canon, and the other things arent. That doesnt mean they are bad or worthelss or cant be enjoyed, they just arent canon. What other franchises do is completely irrelevant to Trek.

Says who? Who said that was the rule? Please point me to them, are they on the board of CBS or Paramount? Was it Gene Roddenberry who said this?

Who defined Star Trek Canon?

Do tell.
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Says who? Who said that was the rule? Please point me to them, are they on the board of CBS or Paramount? Was it Gene Roddenberry who said this?

Who defined Star Trek Canon?

Do tell.

This. I always see fans trying to dictate what is and isn't "canon."
This discussion has been closed.