test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[RUMORED] Undine lockbox discussion

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    zeratk wrote: »
    And how did it happen that we kill originally much more powerful Voth ships so easily? It is another case, but still a similar problem.
    It is somewhat important to keep in mind that in this timeline the Voyager encountered the Voth some 35 years ago - and that was before Voyager brought back future-tech that has since altered much of the environment's technology level.

Part of the reason our ships do so well is that they received a two decade tech bump due to Admiral Janeway messing with the time stream and bringing back more advanced technologies from the DQ.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What is it matter a enemy ship with a playable ship???? everybody knows that enemies in STO are a joke, no matter if they are borg , undine or the neighboor of the 24th. We are not talking about that, seriously.

Its not about being ships too powerful to play, you dont get it. Some playable ships are stronger, some others are weak (lol, i need to explain this to you, and i dont think you are a new player..). Scimitars are really op, and are almost the most powerful ships a player can pilot. And it is a problem already. Undine are stronger than romulans or remans, they are stronger theorically than the Borg. So, a playable undine ship must be even stronger than a scimitar. Do you understand it now? How the hell we will find a balanced gameplay if we keep getting stronger and stronger ships, only cuz people wants that great undine ship or that borg cube?? its stupid and senseless. But is what people wants, and is the opposite way to have a better game. But cryptic knows the sells of undine lockboxes and watever will be really high (honestly im curious about it, it will be amazing xD) so if people is "OK" with undine ships, nothing stops cryptic to do so (well, cryptic never listen to the customers, but in anyway, its the wrong move).

Your entire logic falls flat when an Excelsior can blast away ships that are 150 years younger than it with little trouble, when those voth ships that are now playable are good, but not amazing, your logic falls when we can wipe out legions of borg and undine with rainbow boats in-game. just because LORE says the undine ships are more powerful does not mean that would be true in-game.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Your entire logic falls flat when an Excelsior can blast away ships that are 150 years younger than it with little trouble, when those voth ships that are now playable are good, but not amazing, your logic falls when we can wipe out legions of borg and undine with rainbow boats in-game. just because LORE says the undine ships are more powerful does not mean that would be true in-game.

You can blast dozens of undine ships because they are enemies. And enemies in ANY game, are WEAK. UNIVERSAL RULE. I dont hope you to understand, as the guy before you what i am trying to tell, but i really dont want to get further into this xD.
    edited March 2014
    If people who plays this game and loves star trek are going to have an undine ship, they expect the ship to be as stronger as the one represented , at least in the shows. Because he likes star trek, and he needs to feel that sensation. If you give me an undine ship that is even weaker than a scimitar, then i tell you, there is nothing of star trek there.
    I do not know what game you have been playing for the last 4 year, but STO has never been tech accurate. Our ships do not have 16 phaser arrays and 6 quantum torpedo launchers and so on. Our ships have 7-8 Weapon slots. Period. The game is trying to give you a semblance of a Trek environment to please the fans, not an accurate portrayal. If it were an accurate portrayal we would not have 200+ year old ships flying around in the game. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm totally against undine ships, but for undine/faction hybrids with organic components.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I do not know what game you have been playing for the last 4 year, but STO has never been tech accurate. Our ships do not have 16 phaser arrays and 6 quantum torpedo launchers and so on. Our ships have 7-8 Weapon slots. Period. The game is trying to give you a semblance of a Trek environment to please the fans, not an accurate portrayal. If it were an accurate portrayal we would not have 200+ year old ships flying around in the game. :)

And the game would be very boring....
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Releasing this TRIBBLE means only one thing in my book - for some reason, Cryptic are getting really desperate.
    It also will mean that this is no longer anything that even resembles a ST game.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited March 2014
    It is somewhat important to keep in mind that in this timeline the Voyager encountered the Voth some 35 years ago - and that was before Voyager brought back future-tech that has since altered much of the environment's technology level.

Part of the reason our ships do so well is that they received a two decade tech bump due to Admiral Janeway messing with the time stream and bringing back more advanced technologies from the DQ.

So we have a Fanboy-like Federation in STO. Overpowered by all means. :rolleyes:

And again we have to blame Janeway for the power creep. :D
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
    edited March 2014
    zeratk wrote: »
    So we have a Fanboy-like Federation in STO. Overpowered by all means. :rolleyes:

And again we have to blame Janeway for the power creep. :D
    STO has always been about pleasing the fans. That is why every ship that makes zero sense to be in the game is in the game. Some fan wants to fly a Ferengi ship so Cryptic puts it in a Lockbox. A different fan wants to fly a Ambassador so it is put into the Fleet store. If enough fans wants it Cryptic tries to find a way to get it in the game.

The whole reason STO often makes no sense is because Cryptic spends too much time pleasing fans rather then sticking to their own continuity. STO is my signature and has been for years. :)
    edited March 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Releasing this TRIBBLE means only one thing in my book - for some reason, Cryptic are getting really desperate.
    It also will mean that this no longer anything that even resembles a ST game.

So what is a Star Trek game then? Because apparently all the fans have the authority to deem what is not and what is Trek. Frankly, I think it's silly.

Every single thing in this game is from Trek. So what is it then hmm? If it's not Trek, then obviously none of the stuff in the shows was Trek. Because that's the logic most seem to go by.

Undine ships? Nope, not Trek, even though they are in the show. Hirogen? Nope. Feds? Nope. Klinks? Nope. ETC. You see where I am going.

I have never seen a game where the fanbase seems to want to kill it. They add more items to increase the game features so there will be more for players to do. If there are not more items added, the game will slowly wither away because players will get bored with nothing new.

I would think players would want to have more features to experience all the neat things they observed while watching the shows. I guess not though. Might as well just shout DOOOOOM since apparently every single new ship released will kill the game.

Rant end.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »

I have never seen a game where the fanbase seems to want to kill it.

Then you never played Star Wars Galaxies. The the forums here are nothing to what went on there.
  • no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you think about it, the Voyager fan who's going to be most excited about flying an 8472 bioship is not going to have any idea who the Undine are unless they're already playing STO. When someone sees a headline like 'STO introduces the new Undine Lockbox', sure, that person'll know the Undine is STO's name for 8472 if he reads the article, but if he just skims headlines, 'STO introduces new playable 8472 bioships' is going to have a much bigger impact. Just sayin'.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    STO has always been about pleasing the fans.

Thats my point. You cant please the fans if you give em a ship that is not as powerful as the represented in the shows. Period.
    edited March 2014
    An Undine ship in a Lockbox would be for a level 40-50 character so the odds are quite good that the player would have learned that Undine are Species 8472 well before they get to that Level. Heck, on the Fed side dealing with Undine is a Level 3 mission so it is learned quite early.
    edited March 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    Then you never played Star Wars Galaxies. The the forums here are nothing to what went on there.

I did play Galaxies. Besides the GAT, the community sure was more hopeful.
    edited March 2014
    Thats my point. You cant please the fans if you give em a ship that is not as powerful as the represented in the shows. Period.

And you offer no significant evidence to prove this point. There is a major difference between a show, and a game. Just because it's super Op in the show, doesn't make it the same in the game.

I didn't choose to fly the Scimitar because it's OP in the game or show. I chose to fly it because I like the design and like to play with the unique powers it offers.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Depends when you played, the post NGE anger and hate never died.
    edited March 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    Depends when you played, the post NGE anger and hate never died.

I only played post NGE. That game still had the tighest community there was. It may have been small, but they worked together.

You must have never seen the Beastmaster forums.
  • sesshoseki7sesshoseki7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They can't call it the 8472 Lockbox... They've only done 8467 other lottery-scam-boxes up till this point, so we wouldn't want them to resort to false advertising (other than the usual false advertising since beta)
    edited March 2014
    And my point is the game and timeline have advanced. What the Undine were in the 24th century has little bearing on what they are in the 25th century. We are not playing TNG/DS9/VOY era Trek now. We are playing in an environment where Faction ships are more powerful and advanced.

What the Undine were in their 4 whole episodes in Voyager has little to do with what they are now, 35 years later.
    edited March 2014
    So what is a Star Trek game then? Because apparently all the fans have the authority to deem what is not and what is Trek. Frankly, I think it's silly.

Every single thing in this game is from Trek. So what is it then hmm? If it's not Trek, then obviously none of the stuff in the shows was Trek. Because that's the logic most seem to go by.

Undine ships? Nope, not Trek, even though they are in the show. Hirogen? Nope. Feds? Nope. Klinks? Nope. ETC. You see where I am going.

I have never seen a game where the fanbase seems to want to kill it. They add more items to increase the game features so there will be more for players to do. If there are not more items added, the game will slowly wither away because players will get bored with nothing new.

I would think players would want to have more features to experience all the neat things they observed while watching the shows. I guess not though. Might as well just shout DOOOOOM since apparently every single new ship released will kill the game.

Rant end.

You can rant on as long as you'd like ashkrik23, I never said my opinion is open for a debate and I didn't adress my reply to anyone in particular.
    I call it the way I see it, like always. Why does that push your wrong buttons, so you feel compelled to rant and defend Crpytic I have no idea and frankly - I don't care.

But, I'll humor you anyway and tell you exactly what I think this game is fast becomming - a facebook farmville slider with a cash shop and lottery attached to it, covered with cool looking Star Trek images so it will sell better.

Every Star Trek game I ever played had resemblance to the shows. This almost has none and it's having less and less by the day. The only ones that are killing this game are the people in charge.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited March 2014
    STO has always been about pleasing the fans. That is why every ship that makes zero sense to be in the game is in the game. Some fan wants to fly a Ferengi ship so Cryptic puts it in a Lockbox. A different fan wants to fly a Ambassador so it is put into the Fleet store. If enough fans wants it Cryptic tries to find a way to get it in the game.

The whole reason STO often makes no sense is because Cryptic spends too much time pleasing fans rather then sticking to their own continuity. STO is my signature and has been for years. :)

That is the main problem with this game. And they earn money with those "ships". I can live with old FED ships, but most of the alien ships are just ridicolous.

And thus there will be playable Borg Cube some day.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
    edited March 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    You can rant on as long as you'd like ashkrik23, I never said my opinion is open for a debate and I didn't adress my reply to anyone in particular.
    I call it the way I see it, like always. Why does that push your wrong buttons, so you feel compelled to rant and defend Crpytic I have no idea and frankly - I don't care.

But, I'll humor you anyway and tell you exactly what I think this game is fast becomming - a facebook farmville slider with a cash shop and lottery attached to it, covered with cool looking Star Trek images so it will sell better.

Every Star Trek game I ever played had resemblance to the shows. This almost has none and it's having less and less by the day. The only ones that are killing this game are the people in charge.

All games are being filled with lotteries. That doesn't stop it from being a game of "insert IP"
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014

we do not discuss "t3h game"
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
    edited March 2014
    All games are being filled with lotteries. That doesn't stop it from being a game of "insert IP"

It's not the lottery that ruins the game itself. It's how desperate the people in charge are to put stuff in that lottery, not caring if that turns the game into a complete joke, just for the quick buck rather than being creative and earning their money.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Nah, it's far simpler: Cryptic just wants to make buckloads of money, and we just want to fly fun and exotic ships. :) Nothing more to it, really.

Speak for yourself please. I don't.
    Apart from that, yeah, whatever floats your boat I guess. Personally I don't think spoiling kids or players is a good idea. Even Undine ships will get old very quickly. But again, just different opinions.
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Maybe it's the fault of all those people flying around in ships FROM the future that are at fault. They went back to the future and brought these ships with them and gave them to the lockbox people.

At a certain point and time, it wouldn't of made sense for them to add Undine ships as playable but that boat has long sailed. We have Romulans flying all three factions ships, and killing each other. Does that make sense? Ships from the future. If they add Undine ships, you can either enjoy them and play them or not the choice is up to you. The community needs to put up or shut up as far as sending them a message, if you donn't like it, donn't buy it.
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What do u expect out of STO these days? Its pretty clear we're gonna get Undine ships in lockboxes. Its no longer STO, its a MMO with a Trek touch to it based on a Chinese Pay2win Grind model.

kkthx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No. The Undine Lock Box shouldn't exist. :P

In all fairness, it was the Borg that designated them as Species 8472. The Undine is the name of their species, and the name in which they have identified themselves. Why would we need a Lock Box with a Borg Designation?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    edited March 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    No. The Undine Lock Box shouldn't exist. :P

In all fairness, it was the Borg that designated them as Species 8472. The Undine is the name of their species, and the name in which they have identified themselves. Why would we need a Lock Box with a Borg Designation?

Because Cryptic is really the Borg collective and they like their technical names?
This discussion has been closed.