test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[RUMORED] Undine lockbox discussion

Comments

• captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    What hurts more is how Cryptic dealt with the Voth. That story was just rushed... now the were already exterimanted by the Undine.

They are not exterminated. The Voth are still trying to take the zone back from the Undine as they send reinforcements in from time to time, and obviously still fight inside the other dyson zones, and no doubt still have significant forces outside of the dyson sphere. the Voth are not gone.

i dont even agree it was rushed. yes, we originally were going to have a voth zone itself to fly in season 8, but i doubt their would have been tons of storyline attached to it.

this storyline has been building for 4 years, if anything they need to accelerated. this is the undine making their push that has been hinted at for a long time.
  • scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just an idea.

Perhaps the "Nicor Cruiser" you're piloting is an Undine Infiltrator - in the sense that the ship is built to infiltrate fluidic space. To that end, let's say Undine can see through the usual holo-emitters - so they actually build an otherwise conventional ship, with weapons and consoles meant to simulate Undine behaviour, with an exterior hull that resembles an Undine bioship. Either that, or the ship has an "advanced" holo-disguise that cannot be turned off.

Of course, it doesn't address how the LCC would get their hands on one - unless they were failed experiments that were sold off and then refurbished by the LCC?
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Each Undine Ship comes with special universal Betazoid/Lethan Bridge Officers with special undine ship powers to communicate and pilot the ship.

The Lobi Crystal Consortium has scavenged a battle ground and found several Undine ships nearly dead but managed to nurse them back to health.

They are not as powerful as before, because several vital biosystems have been destroyed beyond repair and needed to be replaced with regular systems. Sort of bionic shipsystem implants.

Those ships can only be operated by strong telepaths, so they are sold to Starfleet and KDF who can make use of them.

How is that for rationalizing? :rolleyes:
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is an casual arcade game with some star trek theme to it. It's as plausible or "serious" as rock & roll racing or Xenon 2. The sooner you accept that, the less you will be enraged :D My opinion: Terribad decision. But we're used to it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    On one level ... as much as I would dislike it, I would be "okay" with these ships.

Why?

A few words:

Temporal Lockbox Ship.

Biggest Lore fail of STO I have ever seen since I joined the game nearly 3 years ago.

Pretty much this.

In the end it is ok, just never take STO seriously and move on. This is a Star Trek theme park with lots of rides, and some of them very stupid....

The other day I saw a picture of a TOS connie spoon, so CBS, nuff said lol
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They are not exterminated. The Voth are still trying to take the zone back from the Undine as they send reinforcements in from time to time, and obviously still fight inside the other dyson zones, and no doubt still have significant forces outside of the dyson sphere. the Voth are not gone.

i dont even agree it was rushed. yes, we originally were going to have a voth zone itself to fly in season 8, but i doubt their would have been tons of storyline attached to it.

this storyline has been building for 4 years, if anything they need to accelerated. this is the undine making their push that has been hinted at for a long time.

At least the Voth are not completely gone.
    But truth to be told, I don't expect to see much of them in the near future.
    Maybe the devs will come back to the Voth in 4 or 5 years, like they are coming now back to the Undine. :P
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pretty sure the precedent was long ago set by flying things like the tholian recluse and so on.

Just saying.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    it was never meant to be a star trek simulator...so whatever floats their boat will be implemented, if it sells.
    The game stopped being immersive for me after 1-2 month playing, so something that breaks immersion is not an issue for me anymore.

Excuse me, but the first very intention of cryptic was to make a really loyal star trek game, and of course, a simulator, like starfleet command was back in the days.

If undine lock box come out, sadly it will be the end of the game, cuz a lot of people, spceially people who likes star trek will stop playing. I am one of em, probably.

You guys are confused. Its not about this ships is not supossed to be allowed to fly, its about, the undine ship will be even stronger than the scimitar.. so, how that is come out?? seriously??? you guys are complaining every time about power creep, and you are ok with even stronger and more op ships??? the simulation get lost time ago, due to the power creep and really unbalanced ships, and now, you want even more creepy ships? lol.

hahaha, ok, good luck.
  • paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    I don't get all the fuss.
    Borg ships would be worse... although at this point, it's just better to ignore what players are flying. It's not all to hard for me to focus on the story ahead, instead of all the strange alien ships.

What hurts more is how Cryptic dealt with the Voth. That story was just rushed... now the were already exterimanted by the Undine.
    Man, I would have loved a big battle between the two, with us in the middle.
    Not just a "Oh, this was the Voth zone. Undine killed them off. Have fun killing Undine.".

because of course the ships we actually see them being able to use controls on are much worse than the bio ships...
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If ... sadly it will be the end of the game, cuz a lot of people, spceially people who likes star trek will stop playing. I am one of em, probably.

There are no end of people saying that on the forums over the years. Most are still here to keep saying it. I am here first of all because it is a Star Trek game and I applaud every move to make this game closer to Star Trek. But I'm not going to leave the game just because of an addition I don't like because I can just ignore that addition. I think it is stilly the Klingon's have Trill as a race - so I don't play as Trill under Klingons. I think the Dino Voth are a silly idea - so I don't use the Voth zone much. Instead, I play this game for the bits I love and use the foundry to create and play more of it. The addition of something I don't like may not be a reason to celebrate, but I don't complain because logically it appeals to someone and that someone spends more time in the game, probably more zen and helps improve it and keep it going. If it keeps going, I keep getting the bits I love. If they remove the bits I love, that's when I'd get annoyed.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This thread is now a DOOOOOOM thread.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
    edited March 2014
    There are no end of people saying that on the forums over the years. Most are still here to keep saying it. I am here first of all because it is a Star Trek game and I applaud every move to make this game closer to Star Trek. But I'm not going to leave the game just because of an addition I don't like because I can just ignore that addition. I think it is stilly the Klingon's have Trill as a race - so I don't play as Trill under Klingons. I think the Dino Voth are a silly idea - so I don't use the Voth zone much. Instead, I play this game for the bits I love and use the foundry to create and play more of it. The addition of something I don't like may not be a reason to celebrate, but I don't complain because logically it appeals to someone and that someone spends more time in the game, probably more zen and helps improve it and keep it going. If it keeps going, I keep getting the bits I love. If they remove the bits I love, that's when I'd get annoyed.

Its not about i dont like undine ships, i just dont like to play a game that is not playable anymore. The most important thing that concerns the players is the balance and the excesive power creep that some ships atesorates. That, and pvp. Of course, if we get the undine ships, forget about making pvp better, thats for sure. That for a start. And pve will be just, well before we had the scimitars, now the scimitars will be really bad, compared with the undine ships. And the rest of the ships.. well, it will be a joke.

Undine ships are part of star trek, but not a part of a supossed playable race. Period. And that must been kept that way until the end of times. But no, cryptic, instead of making something else, like solving the power creep or the pvp, or fixing bugs here and there, they are going to release more things that will break the game even more. Thats the real problem. But again, nobody seem to care, since all they want is new stuff. Shame on you guys.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Undine ships are part of star trek, but not a part of a supossed playable race. Period.

You make it sound like this is direct from HM Gene Roddenberry, rather than just your opinion. TBH I don't think he or anyone else in Star Trek's production, writing or directorial staff considered matters of playable races in a computer game 50 years hence.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I really hope this stuff comes.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited March 2014
    Playable Bioships...another coffin nail to Star Trek.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • ijimithyijimithy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    *Rumages around and find Doom Flavour Popcorn and starts making it for everyone who wants it*

Well Cryptic do need to make money to survive but an OP Undine ship would be too much. I'd much rather see Undine traits instead like higher damange resists againest them etc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No Drama, No Fuss, Just good old fashioned pew pew!
    edited March 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I really hope this stuff comes.

I really dont. You hope this stuff comes, meaning the game will be worst than ever. And you will be rushing the end of STO, so, suit yourself.
    edited March 2014
    You make it sound like this is direct from HM Gene Roddenberry, rather than just your opinion. TBH I don't think he or anyone else in Star Trek's production, writing or directorial staff considered matters of playable races in a computer game 50 years hence.

Its not like that. Lets give you an example, do you think we will see the Borg as a playable race someday?? i dont, because, honestly i cant even imagine it. And cryptic never imagined that as well.

And because undine ships are "smaller" that doesnt mean they are not even more powerful than the Borg, something that in many cases , its true.

So, if you are ok with undine ships, you should be ok with borg ships, and that my friend (borg ships) it is a no no. So the same for undine ships (even worst).
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its not like that. Lets give you an example, do you think we will see the Borg as a playable race someday?? i dont, because, honestly i cant even imagine it. And cryptic never imagined that as well.

And because undine ships are "smaller" that doesnt mean they are not even more powerful than the Borg, something that in many cases , its true.

So, if you are ok with undine ships, you should be ok with borg ships, and that my friend (borg ships) it is a no no. So the same for undine ships (even worst).
    In all fairness, we currently fly ships which can blow Borg Cubes to pieces in one to two volleys. The idea that a Borg, or Undine, ship would be uber-powerful and unusable by the players is fallacy.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited March 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    In all fairness, we currently fly ships which can blow Borg Cubes to pieces in one to two volleys. The idea that a Borg, or Undine, ship would be uber-powerful and unusable by the players is fallacy.

And we have proven overpowerful Voth deteriorated to NPC TRIBBLE, just to sell them.
  • renner64renner64 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't know Ive seen this move before in mmos one that stands out is SWG that at the time got spooked by WOW and total changed the game big mistake.With these new changes they are looking to do tanking team grouping sounds a lot like we need to do some thing to save the game mentality,I know force grouping with tanks casters and so on ya that's a great ideal....not,this is star trek nothing more nothing less change the game play core and see you later this mmo will go the way many others before it have gone,off line.
    edited March 2014
    I really dont. You hope this stuff comes, meaning the game will be worst than ever. And you will be rushing the end of STO, so, suit yourself.

Oh my, more features! The game will surely die! I am so glad you can somehow magically see into the future and foresee the death of the game because of Undine items!
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, there are many other ships that we "shouldn't" be flying, and guess what? We are. The Undine lockbox IS coming, and players WILL be able to obtain those ships to fly.

It's only a matter of time before the Borg lockbox comes... :P
    edited March 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Well, there are many other ships that we "shouldn't" be flying, and guess what? We are. The Undine lockbox IS coming, and players WILL be able to obtain those ships to fly.

It's only a matter of time before the Borg lockbox comes... :P

And then people will forget all about this current DOOOOM and proceed to the next wave of DOOOOOOM.
    edited March 2014

And we have the doomsday machine, you can kill it with 4 harg'pen torpedos and you cant pilot that. ¿?

People keep complaining about the power creep, and ships too powerful for being balanced (aka scimitar) and still, you want even stronger ships. lol.. no comments. Knowing how cryptic manages the balance of the ships and the lack of interest they have to make a balanced gameplay, im sure all of you will be more than grateful for another overpowered ship.
    edited March 2014
    And we have the doomsday machine, you can kill it with 4 harg'pen torpedos and you cant pilot that. ¿?
    Why people have to find the most absurd example to make their point always eludes me. :)
    People keep complaining about the power creep, and ships too powerful for being balanced (aka scimitar) and still, you want even stronger ships. lol.. no comments. Knowing how cryptic manages the balance of the ships and the lack of interest they have to make a balanced gameplay, im sure all of you will be more than grateful for another overpowered ship.
    The only one who seems to think Borg and Undine are stronger ships or too powerful to play is you. I personally think they are under-powered in the game, and as such they are just as playable as anything else. I mean seriously, if we are blowing up Borg and Undine ships by the hundreds in our existing ships how you can believe those Borg and Undine ships are too powerful?
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited March 2014
    Why people have to find the most absurd example to make their point always eludes me. :)

The only one who seems to think Borg and Undine are stronger ships or too powerful to play is you. I personally think they are under-powered in the game, and as such they are just as playable as anything else. I mean seriously, if we are blowing up Borg and Undine ships by the hundreds in our existing ships how you can believe those Borg and Undine ships are too powerful?

What is it matter a enemy ship with a playable ship???? everybody knows that enemies in STO are a joke, no matter if they are borg , undine or the neighboor of the 24th. We are not talking about that, seriously.

Its not about being ships too powerful to play, you dont get it. Some playable ships are stronger, some others are weak (lol, i need to explain this to you, and i dont think you are a new player..). Scimitars are really op, and are almost the most powerful ships a player can pilot. And it is a problem already. Undine are stronger than romulans or remans, they are stronger theorically than the Borg. So, a playable undine ship must be even stronger than a scimitar. Do you understand it now? How the hell we will find a balanced gameplay if we keep getting stronger and stronger ships, only cuz people wants that great undine ship or that borg cube?? its stupid and senseless. But is what people wants, and is the opposite way to have a better game. But cryptic knows the sells of undine lockboxes and watever will be really high (honestly im curious about it, it will be amazing xD) so if people is "OK" with undine ships, nothing stops cryptic to do so (well, cryptic never listen to the customers, but in anyway, its the wrong move).
    edited March 2014
    Its not about being ships too powerful to play, you dont get it. Some playable ships are stronger, some others are weak (lol, i need to explain this to you, and i dont think you are a new player..). Scimitars are really op, and are almost the most powerful ships a player can pilot. And it is a problem already. Undine are stronger than romulans or remans, they are stronger theorically than the Borg. So, a playable undine ship must be even stronger than a scimitar. Do you understand it now? How the hell we will find a balanced gameplay if we keep getting stronger and stronger ships, only cuz people wants that great undine ship or that borg cube?? its stupid and senseless. But is what people wants, and is the opposite way to have a better game. But cryptic knows the sells of undine lockboxes and watever will be really high (honestly im curious about it, it will be amazing xD) so if people is "OK" with undine ships, nothing stops cryptic to do so (well, cryptic never listen to the customers, but in anyway, its the wrong move).
    One stupid ship, in this case the Scimitar, does not define all the T5 ships for every species in the game. The Scimitar is not the base-line that an Undine or Borg ship would be measured against. It would be the dozens of other T5 ships.

And I will say it again, the fact that YOU think the Undine ships should be more powerful then a Scimitar does not mean your assessment is accurate. As I have now said three times: we blow up Undine and Borg ships with ease in ships other then the Scimitar, so obviously they are not supposed to be the uber-powerful thing you believe them to be.
    edited March 2014
    And I will say it again, the fact that YOU think the Undine ships should be more powerful then a Scimitar does not mean your assessment is accurate. As I have now said three times: we blow up Undine and Borg ships with ease in ships other then the Scimitar, so obviously they are not supposed to be the uber-powerful thing you believe them to be.

And how did it happen that we kill originally much more powerful Voth ships so easily? It is another case, but still a similar problem.

Besides that, a lot of player would leave Space PvP if it would bebetter balanced and they wouldn't able to helm an OP-Ship. :D
    edited March 2014
    One stupid ship, in this case the Scimitar, does not define all the T5 ships for every species in the game. The Scimitar is not the base-line that an Undine or Borg ship would be measured against. It would be the dozens of other T5 ships.

I dont think that. Its a fact. Undine ships are stronger than the Borg. I dont need to imagine anything.

And stop thinking about the mobs in the game, why people always need to say "i blow up 20 undine ships in the game, so undine ships are a joke".

If people who plays this game and loves star trek are going to have an undine ship, they expect the ship to be as stronger as the one represented , at least in the shows. Because he likes star trek, and he needs to feel that sensation. If you give me an undine ship that is even weaker than a scimitar, then i tell you, there is nothing of star trek there.

People are expecting undine ships because they want power. That is a fact. And of course, undine ships will be the best ships in the game (they should, cryptic will make a huge mistake if they release an undine ship that is even weaker than a scimitar) , cuz they will be stronger than a scimitar, and the scimitar is the strongest ship in the game , in terms of firepower and tactical. And that is what rules in STO. Unfortunately. Maybe the bioship will not have so many weapon slots, or anything else, but it doesnt matter, since they should have proper weapons that deals a lot more damage than the usuals we saw in game (in fact we never saw the force burst of the biohsips, that will be maybe the new weapon of the undine..).

Of course, i am talking about the bioship or higher class vessels. If cryptic releases an undine scout, of course that ship will not be as strong as a scimitar LOL.
This discussion has been closed.