Install Arc
Options

[RUMORED] Undine lockbox discussion

Comments

• Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Planet killer console eh? I guess it will be a planet killer which can't take out a single starship! :D

In all seriousness I kinda hope this wont come to be...

But don't you want your very own squid death star? :D

[/sarcasm]
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited March 2014
    But don't you want your very own squid death star? :D

[/sarcasm]

Sandy Cheeks Moon Rocket.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    devtrackerdevtracker Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rexyf wrote: »
    I like how some people here think.
    "players flying undine ships? That's not realistic!"
    If STO was realistic, so many players would be in the ships brig within thirty minutes of playing.

You want to throw away your phaser rifle to use that cool plasma rifle you found laying on the ground? Too bad. The armory officer gave you a phaser rifle, and he/she better get a phaser rifle back when you need to turn in your weapons.

You want to change your uniform to something you think looks cool? too bad, you're breaking uniform regulations.

You've been promoted to a new rank? Cool. Here's a new pip. That's all. Now get back to business.
    Or...
    You've been promoted to captain? Cool. Here, you can have this specific ship. What? Choosing the ship you command? Don't be silly.

You came back to ESD with your ships phaser beams swapped out with Romulan Plasma cannons? Say good bye to your command. You're getting busted down to Ensign (if you're lucky) for blatant tampering with Starfleet property, because you don't own the ship, you're just in charge of it.

You're selling contraband on the exchange? Welcome to the brig. You're a smuggler, and now you have no future in Star Fleet.

Great argument for a T5 connie!
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    devtracker wrote: »
    Great argument for a T5 connie!

Not really.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Not really.

Dont worry, I wasnt being genuine. My point though is that having an Undine ship is just as crazy has having the T5 connie. So for those making excuses for for the Undine ship, they are also by extension making excuses for a T5 connie, whether they acknowledge it or not.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    cryptiecop wrote: »
    When any one player can solo anything Borg, cannon went out the door years ago :D

Canon says a Sovereign can destroy a Borg sphere pretty easily.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Dont worry, I wasnt being genuine. My point though is that having an Undine ship is just as crazy has having the T5 connie. So for those making excuses for for the Undine ship, they are also by extension making excuses for a T5 connie, whether they acknowledge it or not.

Except the main reason there is no T5 Connie has nothing to do with Cryptic, is it REALLY that hard to understand that CBS SAID NO.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Having an Undine ship isn't nearly as crazy as a T5 Connie. I could go into detail about how a bio-engineered ship would be a goldmine for SCE, the KDF and the RR, or how in comparison to the Connie, the Undine ships are "modern" where the Connie is not.

But in the end the only thing that matters is CBS have obviously given Cryptic the go-ahead to use Undine ships at endgame, unlike the Connie.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Except the main reason there is no T5 Connie has nothing to do with Cryptic, is it REALLY that hard to understand that CBS SAID NO.

CBS said "no" 4 years ago because at that time they apparently cared that the game's story made sense. If they have in fact approve an Undine lockbox and therefore Fed/KDF/Rom players flying Undine ships(which is still unknown at this point), that is proof that their stance has changed over time. So how they felt 4 years ago is not necessarily the same as how they feel now.
    johngazman wrote: »
    Having an Undine ship isn't nearly as crazy as a T5 Connie. I could go into detail about how a bio-engineered ship would be a goldmine for SCE, the KDF and the RR, or how in comparison to the Connie, the Undine ships are "modern" where the Connie is not.

Hey, remember that NX ship we have in game? Do you remember the "storyline" reason it exists? In case you dont, I'll remind you: apparently, some Starfleet Engineer dude liked the old look and decided to make a modern ship that looked the same. Just for giggles. "oh, its not really an old ship. Its built with brand new materials, it just visually looks like the old ship". That same kind of flimsy logic can be used for the Connie, if someone actually wanted to use it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Canon says an Intrepid and a Shuttle can destroy an entire Unimatrix. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited March 2014

pretty much, the whole borg being unstoppable thing, was proven to be rather bogus multiple times, they relied far too much on "adaptation(A.K.A space magic)", if they were to fight something which they couldn't adapt to fast enough or at all, they would get decimated rather easily(such as when the undine showed up during voyager, and proceeded to obliterate the borg at every turn, until voyager aided the borg lol).

i actually prefer how STO does things, the way i see it, the alpha quadrant advanced its technology enough that the borg aren't capable of adapting to it anymore, and thus leveled the field somewhat.

borg as a whole are a ridiculous enemy(and ST has plenty of those already).
  • Options
    legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2014
    An Undine lock box = more loot critters I'll be leaving behind. :P
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    CBS said "no" 4 years ago because at that time they apparently cared that the game's story made sense. If they have in fact approve an Undine lockbox and therefore Fed/KDF/Rom players flying Undine ships(which is still unknown at this point), that is proof that their stance has changed over time. So how they felt 4 years ago is not necessarily the same as how they feel now..

And you know that Cryptic has not asked them recently...HOW? You are in denial, sorry, they said NO to a T5 connie, and even back them it would have made sense just as much as it does now.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    And you know that Cryptic has not asked them recently...HOW?

I never said they did, or did not. I'm saying that once upon a time, CBS apparently cared about things "making sense" in this game's storyline. And 4 years later, they are (hypothetically) allowing humans, Klingons, and Romulans to fly Undine bioships. Therefore, sometime in the past 4 years, they quit caring so much.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    they stop caring when the first JHAS box came out
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    After a seeing a post in the subreddit /r/sto showing spoilers for season nine (9) or at least ingame files that were discovered for the tribble server http://www.iqfleet.org/leaks ** note this may be just complete lies** In this article it shows pictures of the undine Lockboxamong other intresting things. Check it out.

** SPOILERS!!**

The ships form the lockbox are from what i read was the nicor cruiser and the lobi being a Dromias Cruiser. These shouldn't be in the hands of player because its simply against canon, these are BIO SHIPS made in fluidic space made by the UNDINE, these ships should only be flown by the undine its just not right that we are capable of flying a vessel armed with weapons able to blown a planet to bits???

Personally i don't have any reason to hate the undine they're a great enemy but we shouldn't fly there ships, a compromise to this could be integrating bio tech to our ships ( which have a possibility due to the uni consoles also mentioned in the article) This shouldn't be a thing! this is like flying a borg cube around in sector space, its simply not appropriate.

All in all though this article could be as i said earlier complete lies which would make me slightly happy if the undine ships weren't a thing.

However the possible and very likely level increase intrigues mes very much.

some of these things may be true but others may have been taken out of context, or may be on tribble for test purposes, alien ships need to be tested too you know.
    I would not believe too much of anything till you see it on the dev blogs or in the release notes.

I took a trip to tribble before 8.5 and see the ship swap and ship layout save and when 8.5 was released ship swap was totally different to how I saw it on tribble and layout save never came out till a later update.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    they stop caring when the first JHAS box came out

Flying a Jemhadar Attack Ship is perfectly canonical according to multiple episodes of DS9. Anything other than an 8472 flying an 8472 bioship is not without some sort of explanation.

WHAT IS THE TECHNOLOGICAL EXPLANATION???
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Who again came up with the name undine anyways? And perhaps more importantly: why? Species 8472 is a nice enough description imo
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    CBS said NO to Undine ships. They're not from this universe, and would break immersion if non fluidic species could fly them.

Oh wait, I have that wrong. CBS said no about something else? Whatever it was I'm sure it was far more immersion breaking than this. Fly those Nicors! Carry on!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Who again came up with the name undine anyways? And perhaps more importantly: why? Species 8472 is a nice enough description imo

Species 8472 is too hard to type.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you think about it, the Voyager fan who's going to be most excited about flying an 8472 bioship is not going to have any idea who the Undine are unless they're already playing STO. When someone sees a headline like 'STO introduces the new Undine Lockbox', sure, that person'll know the Undine is STO's name for 8472 if he reads the article, but if he just skims headlines, 'STO introduces new playable 8472 bioships' is going to have a much bigger impact. Just sayin'.

I`m pretty sure 99.9% of players know that the undine are borg definition species 8472 and I am also sure the other .1% will soon find out.
    I am also sure anyone who has any interest in playing will be the same.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    as a VOY fan i care more about flying Admiral Janeway shuttle from the last EP then a bio ship
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    as a VOY fan i care more about flying Admiral Janeway shuttle from the last EP then a bio ship

Even though that episode sucked, that was still a cool shuttle.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Righht... quiet Species 5618 :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Must be in reference to the First Contact movie...

Erm...nvm...noted :D
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    The Borg want out money?
    "We are the Borg.
    Open your wallets and surrender your credit card numbers.
    Your financial assets will be added to our own.
    You will adapt to pay and grind for us.
    Resistance is futile."
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    solemkof wrote: »
    We are the Borg.
    Open your wallets and surrender your credit card numbers.
    Your financial assets will be added to our own.
    You will adapt to pay and grind for us.
    Resistance is futile.

sounds more like pwe than borg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    CBS said NO to Undine ships. They're not from this universe, and would break immersion if non fluidic species could fly them.

Oh wait, I have that wrong. CBS said no about something else? Whatever it was I'm sure it was far more immersion breaking than this. Fly those Nicors! Carry on!

Where's thecosmic1 when you need him?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Flying a Jemhadar Attack Ship is perfectly canonical according to multiple episodes of DS9. Anything other than an 8472 flying an 8472 bioship is not without some sort of explanation.

WHAT IS THE TECHNOLOGICAL EXPLANATION???

only 2 EP out of all of DS9 was sisko flying around in a JHAS and that was a covert mission taking place behind enemy lines not around esd
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
This discussion has been closed.