test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Outage (3/21/14) [Resolved!]

Comments

• brwjames85brwjames85 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    I've been fighting for six plus months to get STO working for me enough to be able to get in game and finally my persistence (and a fair upload of pics) got them to give me the teaks that let the game partially function for the last 2 days. 2 DAYS! out of six months of brain wreck. So don't tell me about entitlement, I just want to be able to do what everyone else can, when they can do it.

my machine is 6yo, and i never had any issues playing, so my guess is your machine is even older, you're talking more TRIBBLE then an entire government, or you're just incompetent. Your choice. Don't go blaming others with exagerated stories disguising your own failures
    Finally, T6 Fleet sovy! My life is complete!
  • joel1974joel1974 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    roujin346 wrote: »
    Can't log in and have tried several times. I'm in NYC, is this anywhere else?

Seems to be everywhere. I've been trying since 9am this morning (I'm in Australia), and it's now 12.15pm. I'll just do some other things today. I know I'll continue to check, as I want to play the game.
  • genysxgenysx Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am on the other side of the country. Um And as far as I see its hitting pac time people too.
  • tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the planet earth can not connect to pwe's game client log in server from any point.

at least on the wan side, not sure about the lan side but guessing so ;)
  • eldritchdrakeeldritchdrake Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is when it's the same problem 3 times.

In the world of IT the importance of redundant systems is key to uptime. If Cryptic or the people they use to manage their servers haven't grasped this after 3 consistent failures then yes there is a problem.

I very rarely make the same mistake twice, let alone three times. If I was to make the same mistake three times with the same client
  • k0rsak0fk0rsak0f Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    roujin346 wrote: »
    Can't log in and have tried several times. I'm in NYC, is this anywhere else?

if you read than you know there are some problems.. its not local
  • tuxisiustuxisius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

In the world of IT the importance of redundant systems is key to uptime. If Cryptic or the people they use to manage their servers haven't grasped this after 3 consistent failures then yes there is a problem.

I very rarely make the same mistake twice, let alone three times. If I was to make the same mistake three times with the same client
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just to clarify, where is this "devtracker" stuff coming from? I don't see the original posts in the thread and I don't see the mods actually making statements like that.

Edit: nevermind, got confused.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rrasp wrote: »
    Is STO servers run from a frat house basement? Maybe someone spilt some beer on the server. Hey, it happens.

With the absolutely atrocious lag and rubberbanding I've been intermittently experiencing the past few days, along with pretty frequent disconnects and server not responding issues, I think so. It wasn't just bad lag, it was atrocious. I spent an entire mirror event rubberbanding so bad I wasn't even sure I was still flying near the station.
  • br8denbr8den Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Qnyx, you are describing entitlement exactly. "It is not a 'sense of entitlement' to simply want to play the game you want to play" YES! That is entitlement.
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    brwjames85 wrote: »
    my machine is 6yo, and i never had any issues playing, so my guess is your machine is even older, you're talking more TRIBBLE then an entire government, or you're just incompetent. Your choice. Don't go blaming others with exagerated stories disguising your own failures

lol, too bad I can't post the post when tech support asked me for my Patience. :)
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic should bring the servers back now.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • plb1982plb1982 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    k0rsak0f wrote: »
    things like that happen. how often have you missed the bus because it had a problem

or even better. how often others could not enjoy something because you missed your appointment..
    Apparently you make a habit of missing appointments. I do not. I'm actually not aware of a single time in my life that others could not enjoy something because I missed an appointment.

I don't take the bus, but, assuming I did, I would expect it to run on time, but I could forgive them for certain problems. If a meteor hits it... okay, not their fault, nothing they could do. If they run out of gas... totally their fault and I shouldn't have to forgive them.

We don't know if this was a meteor strike, or someone missed the gas light.
  • uppercaseplzuppercaseplz Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2014

The Borg have it all wrong. Resistance is not futile. Resistance is electromotive force over current. Hasn't the Borg Queen ever heard of Ohm's frickin' Law?
    edited March 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Just to clarify, where is this "devtracker" stuff coming from? I don't see the original posts in the thread and I don't see the mods actually making statements like that.

you should take up bird watching, those tweets can be a handful ;)
  • onyxmonolithonyxmonolith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    br8den wrote: »
    Qnyx, you are describing entitlement exactly. "It is not a 'sense of entitlement' to simply want to play the game you want to play" YES! That is entitlement.

No, a sense of entitlement is "It is my god given right to do what I want to do when I want to do it."

It is not "I want people to provide the service that they are paid very well to provide."
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    you should take up bird watching, those tweets can be a handful ;)

It's a twitter repost? By whom?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zidanetribalzidanetribal Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    edited March 2014
    It is not "I want people to provide the service that they are paid very well to provide."

^
    That.
  • raiderzenigmanraiderzenigman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Soo with all the GabGabba Gab Anyone know When the servers will be up, or how to find out,,, i keep being Redirected to ARC,, which doesnt do me any good ,, well cept to get in this Gab forum.
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tuxisius wrote: »
    What specifically is this one problem they have had three times in a row?

A network hardware routing error that has exactly the same pathology as the previous two times this happened last year of which there are two threads for March and May 2013 that I linked earlier.

It has nothing to do with servers by the way, but most likely hardware that sits in-between.

Either way redundancy should mean that you have 2 or 3 backups for a piece of hardware where possible.

Have you ever got a 404 from www.google.com due to a problem on their end? I doubt it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Let's pretend that you, being self-employed, operate a fence building company.

A customer calls you for a quote to fence in their back yard. You arrive, perform the quote, they approve it and contract you to install a simple chain link fence enclosing their back yard. After two or three days of work you complete the project and collect payment.

A week goes by, and then you receive a phone call in the morning from the customer who is angry. During the night vandal(s) unknown defaced/damaged/destroyed the fence, causing the coyotes from the woods yonder to wander into their yard and ravage their garbage receptacles.

You would, in all probability, think that they're nuts for calling you and demanding you repair the fence free of charge. The work was performed properly and with a high degree of workmanship, nevertheless, your customer is upset with YOU for something that you had no degree of control over.

And so it is with STO being offline. ARC/Cryptic/John de Lancie/whoever is not at fault here.

Stuff happens, and sometimes you can't blame anybody (although in the above example I gave you would rightly blame the vandal(s)).

Bad analogy. A better one would be if you were contracted to maintain the fence and the customer got upset that it was destroyed.

Who the hell gets contracted to maintain a backyard fence though?
  • getsgreasedgetsgreased Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    tuxisius wrote: »
    What specifically is this one problem they have had three times in a row?

It appears the troubles began with the patch server. Couldn't get to logon screen for several hours. Then, when that server had been fixed and the logon window appeared, you could get all the way to the current roadblock with the logon server.

For all we know, the sudden rush of everyone hitting it at once caused it to explode. Now STO times out trying to connect to it.

It will be fixed when it's fixed. Not a second before.
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'll go look for the magical server fairy that makes sure servers don't crash as I can promise you that all servers crash. In every sense of the way. Okay, they change servers, they will still eventually crash. You're asking for flawless server in which case, is impossible. Every where I have been that has used servers have crashed multiple times a year. So keep on livin' in your dream world of magical servers.

Indeed, which is why most companies prepare for that scenario, ever heard of redundancy? A flawless server is impossible to guarantee, a flawless service is not (certain natural disasters, outbreaks of war etc. not taken into account of course). Ever heard of redundancy? The thing is that it costs money, and it apparently is an investment Cryptic/PWE is either unable or unwilling to make. Now that in itself is perfectly fine, but don't pretend like problems like this *have* to affect the players/customers, because it is simply not true.
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014

devtracker is just a user not anything special.

It's not I haven't seen anything like that being posted by either NW or STO's twitter (especially considering the character limit is 140 hehe)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited March 2014

Almost all the devs have twitters, the word on the street is that it's the best way to keep in track and even get in touch with them
  • plb1982plb1982 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You would, in all probability, think that they're nuts for calling you and demanding you repair the fence free of charge. The work was performed properly and with a high degree of workmanship, nevertheless, your customer is upset with YOU for something that you had no degree of control over.

And so it is with STO being offline. ARC/Cryptic/John de Lancie/whoever is not at fault here.

What an awful comparison, for multiple reasons:

A) A one-time service is different than an ongoing one. PWE isn't in business to make a game and sell it, but rather to keep selling and servicing it.
    B) You have no idea that PWE has performed their work properly and with a high degree of workmanship.
    C) You have no idea whether or not they had no degree of control over this.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It will be back up when the techs give the green light.

I'm disappointed as the rest, but gotta have patience.
  • eldritchdrakeeldritchdrake Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ^
    That.

And they're trying to. But stuff happened and currently cannot. Then the customer threw a fit, spilled his milk and now the terrorist are attacking and their favorite TV show got cancelled, they didn't get that job promotion all because of Cryptic. Oh and they did it, they really did it, they blew it all up!
  • mobiusnp118mobiusnp118 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I believe an earlier comment was that this was the eastern server so it would affect NYC. I'm about 1-2 hours north of you and I'm also affected.
    I'm in Central time, and still STO servers are down.
This discussion has been closed.