test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ESD is not going to improve zone use at ESD.

oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
Oh.. by the by.. Cryptic...

Players avoiding public social zones.. they're under utilized.. Right. The Studio's and it's policies have allowed the games social zones to deteriorate into a unfriendly if not hostile social environment.

That's the real reason so many players avoid the games social hubs. Terk fans are not as a rule stupid people. I don't care how pretty you make ESD, or any of the other social hubs of the game. As long as the studio refuses to address or police certain disruptive activity (such as party amp bombing) the majority of players will continue to avoid these zones other then when they absolutely have to go to them. It this studio will not address the root issue that is the cause of this avoidance, then players will continue to not chose to expose themselves to a percieved hostile social environment. Note the word "percieved"

The games GMs are going to have to start giving disruptive players the chop (time outs, 24 hour bans etc, closing accounts as a last resort,) and perception will change. It won't happen over night, but it will happen. It'll never be perfect, but unless the studio addresses this as a real issue, it's not going to change. That is the only way the above mentioned perception is going to change.

It's not the architecture, layout, or utility of the zones that's causing the under utilization of the social zones. It is the "feel" of the environment caused by the activities of a minority of the player base. This is why shopping malls have security guards, or a visible police presence and bars,clubs and dance venues have bouncers.

I'n a month or so... When the new ESD goes live.. I will be happy to show proof that I am correct by encouraging net radio station DJ's to take their shows BACK to ESD. I can absolutely guarantee you that when the party bombers follow, and they will, just like flies to ****, the player pop in what will be a more open and visible ESD virtual space will drop like a rock, and will likely be even lower then it is now. It wont be the DJ's fault, or the fault of the dance party crowd. It'll be the fault of the prankers'/ trollers'/ griefers' that are creating a negative social environment. People will flee the zone to avoid the party amp bombing that will happen. And of course...THEY will point at the dance party types and say its "Their" fault..

((been over 6 months.. The studio put these things in game.. didn't test em right.. didn't try to find out if there really were working as intended by the wording of the tool tip. you say gotta a million users?.. Be thankfull that those million users aren't all using them. Prolly lock up your servers just keeping track of them all. And party poppers were mearly irritating..those party amps are far worse))

Want to increase social zone use? Then POLICE them! So players feel safe an un harassed visiting them. Other wise its not going to change no matter what you do.
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'n a month or so... When the new ESD goes live.. I will be happy to show proof that I am correct by encouraging net radio station DJ's to take their shows BACK to ESD.
    "Net radio station DJs"? Haven't a clue what you're talking about there, old bean.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lol, STO doesn't have GMs.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    "Net radio station DJs"? Haven't a clue what you're talking about there, old bean.

i think Khemaraa is talking about Subspace Radio and a few others that broadcast music and such live in the club areas for people to party to
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    walshicus wrote: »

You know, disc jockeys trying to promote their internet radio stations. I find them almost as annoying as those who continue to bring up Gorn government conspiracies involving bacon and religion.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As a free to play game, the ratio of disruptive players to GMs is through the roof. Even subscription based games have trouble keeping a civil environment, so there's little hope for FTP.

It's Lord of the Flies from here on out.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You make some good points. In the past, I've avoided ESD for two reasons:
    1. I had a lousy computer, and all the maps were slow to load because there were so many players.
    2. Constant arguments. Not debates, mind, but stupid, ill-informed, irrational, angry arguments. The much maligned Gorn jokes were welcome relief.

Even now, I usually keep my chat window closed on ESD.

That said, I got onto tribble and the new layout is really nice. It'll be disorienting for a while, but it's a pretty interior. Minus current bugs like the exchange consoles being 20 feet in the air.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Constant arguments. Not debates, mind, but stupid, ill-informed, irrational, angry arguments.

You mean like..... here ? Only with better sound and graphics ? :D
  • stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The new ESD is fantastic, and very good for immersion. And I hope that will encourage players to act like they're in Star Trek and not in an MMO. And maybe the party balls disrupt immersion, but not any more than the cluster of character costumes. In the big picture they're short duration and harmless, and you look silly for making a big deal over them.

I think if you ask around, people will agree that the real main issue facing ESD is it banal zone chat, which has become a soapbox for bigots to spew hate speech due to a total absence of moderation. If there's anywhere in the game where there needs to be a GM online 24/7, it should be ESD.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    You mean like..... here ? Only with better sound and graphics ? :D

Yeah man, if you do it in STO instead of on the forums you can argue in three deeeee.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • tenelltenell Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Players avoiding public social zones.. they're under utilized.. Right. The Studio's and it's policies have allowed the games social zones to deteriorate into a unfriendly if not hostile social environment.

That's the real reason so many players avoid the games social hubs. Terk fans are not as a rule stupid people. I don't care how pretty you make ESD, or any of the other social hubs of the game. As long as the studio refuses to address or police certain disruptive activity (such as party amp bombing) the majority of players will continue to avoid these zones other then when they absolutely have to go to them. It this studio will not address the root issue that is the cause of this avoidance, then players will continue to not chose to expose themselves to a percieved hostile social environment. Note the word "percieved"

The games GMs are going to have to start giving disruptive players the chop (time outs, 24 hour bans etc, closing accounts as a last resort,) and perception will change. It won't happen over night, but it will happen. It'll never be perfect, but unless the studio addresses this as a real issue, it's not going to change. That is the only way the above mentioned perception is going to change.

It's not the architecture, layout, or utility of the zones that's causing the under utilization of the social zones. It is the "feel" of the environment caused by the activities of a minority of the player base. This is why shopping malls have security guards, or a visible police presence and bars,clubs and dance venues have bouncers.

I'n a month or so... When the new ESD goes live.. I will be happy to show proof that I am correct by encouraging net radio station DJ's to take their shows BACK to ESD. I can absolutely guarantee you that when the party bombers follow, and they will, just like flies to ****, the player pop in what will be a more open and visible ESD virtual space will drop like a rock, and will likely be even lower then it is now. It wont be the DJ's fault, or the fault of the dance party crowd. It'll be the fault of the prankers'/ trollers'/ griefers' that are creating a negative social environment. People will flee the zone to avoid the party amp bombing that will happen. And of course...THEY will point at the dance party types and say its "Their" fault..

((been over 6 months.. The studio put these things in game.. didn't test em right.. didn't try to find out if there really were working as intended by the wording of the tool tip. you say gotta a million users?.. Be thankfull that those million users aren't all using them. Prolly lock up your servers just keeping track of them all. And party poppers were mearly irritating..those party amps are far worse))

Want to increase social zone use? Then POLICE them! So players feel safe an un harassed visiting them. Other wise its not going to change no matter what you do.

TL;DR

Once again you are talking for 5-15 people not the entire player base or even a large portion of it. :rolleyes:

With that being said. I do have to say that the new ESD does look like a horrible copy of the Citadel station from Mass Effect at this rate also with the kit revamp holoshields and such is definitely looking more like a Mass Effect game than a Star trek one. Just saying.
    RlZDKhp.gif
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Personally, I've never felt harassed. If someone annoys me, I ignore them. I've never had any real problem in social zones. The only reason I don't spend a whole lot of time in them is because there ins't a whole lot to do in terms of social activity. Also, I'm an antisocial loner. But if an antisocial loner sees no problem in the social zones...
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    GM is a autobot thats gone senile in its old age lmao
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    stararmy wrote: »
    I think if you ask around, people will agree that the real main issue facing ESD is it banal zone chat, which has become a soapbox for bigots to spew hate speech due to a total absence of moderation. If there's anywhere in the game where there needs to be a GM online 24/7, it should be ESD.

It wouldn't need to be 24x7. Just have a GM spend a couple of hours a week looking through random chunks of chat-log. Don't worry about context or repetition, and just swing a mighty ban-hammer.

Eventually, people would get the hint.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • contrarydecisioncontrarydecision Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    People avoid social zones? News to me. ESD always seems to be quite active. DS9 seems to have its loyal population. DJC tends to have a healthy population of usage. Drozana always seems crowded on the rare occasion I go there.

Stop trying to make your personal issues into the struggles of some ~silent majority~ that suffers while the GMs do nothing.
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited March 2014

Guess you have stalin and hitlers pics above your bed.You should play the North Korean version of the game.

any other things you want to police?I think they should ban everyone who says or does something that you dont like.
  • logos1326logos1326 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've never really had problems either. If I see someone purposely trying to annoy people I just change instances and ignore. The key is don't respond to them. I plan to just avoid ESD though when it comes out. The other social areas will probably nice and quiet for a change anyways.
  • thyrnecristhyrnecris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    One thing that the game 'needs' is: Bigger Ignore List, AND also a 'fix' that prevents any 'Forced Action' Emote (Disco Ball, for example) to not be applied when the one applying it is on Ignore.
    Problem solved. Maybe an optional 'Ignored players do not get rendered' toggle, to FULLY get rid of someone you ignore (Except PvP or Autogrouped content!). And a proper Emote linked with 'Forced Action' Objects, so you know WHO fired it, and can put said person on ignore.
  • christopher0184christopher0184 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Usually, I just mute Zone Chat when on ESD.
    Strike%2C_S.Rouge%2C_Freedom.png
    Primary ship: U.S.S. Lacus Clyne, Dyson Science Destroyer/U.S.S. Fausticorn, Multi-Mission Reconnaissance Explorer
    Secondary ship: U.S.S. Rainbow Dash, Odyssey Tactical Cruiser/I.S.S. Princess Cadance, Mirror Assault Cruiser
    Tertiary ship: I.S.S. Freedom Gundam, Mirror Deep Space Science Vessel
    My YouTube Channel
    edited March 2014
    thyrnecris wrote: »
    One thing that the game 'needs' is: Bigger Ignore List, AND also a 'fix' that prevents any 'Forced Action' Emote (Disco Ball, for example) to not be applied when the one applying it is on Ignore.
    Problem solved. Maybe an optional 'Ignored players do not get rendered' toggle, to FULLY get rid of someone you ignore (Except PvP or Autogrouped content!). And a proper Emote linked with 'Forced Action' Objects, so you know WHO fired it, and can put said person on ignore.

and the reaction of those who don;t have the person you ignored on their ignore list.Also if possible a different shard ,a different game version and if thats not too much a paid killer to remove the person on ignore list for good.

while you anti social sociopaths try to ban people I still don't have anyone on my ignore list.If someone is annoying in zone chat I change the tab so I can't see the chat.If someones using the party amp I still don't dance in my seat.I don't care what other players do .
  • siliconpsychosiliconpsycho Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't get all the raging about ESD zone chat / morons / arguments / chat griefers etc etc

Either turn off zone chat, or put zone chat into a separate chat window tab.

I separate my chat into 5 tabs - Fleet, Fleet cross channel, Team, Tell and Zone

Guess which one is active 99.99% of the time? yup that's right, fleet chat. I don't need to see what moronic things are being posted in zone unless I decide to actually watch it. Its not hard to set up chat in this way.

Party amps and balloons don't bother me in the slightest, sometimes I will join in, other times I just ignore, they in no way prevent me from doing what I went to ESD to do
    edited March 2014
    and the reaction of those who don;t have the person you ignored on their ignore list.Also if possible a different shard ,a different game version and if thats not too much a paid killer to remove the person on ignore list for good.

while you anti social sociopaths try to ban people I still don't have anyone on my ignore list.If someone is annoying in zone chat I change the tab so I can't see the chat.If someones using the party amp I still don't dance in my seat.I don't care what other players do .

Fact is, lets say you are in a Social Zone, in an MMO. Say - Quarks, on DS9, using the Social Zone for Roleplay (Yes, unthinkable, in an MMORPG). Suddenly, due to a case of 'Batphone', people decide to show up and use a 'Forced Emote' on your group who is seated at the bar, or a set of tables, 'for lulz'.
    So they are allowed to have their fun, by disrupting the fun of others? Sure. Then I want to have the right to disrupt their fun by adding them to a 'Ignore completely' list. Since changing Instance/Go to Ship Interior/Fleet Holding means that they get to have their fun.
    Or, other idea: Change the Forced Action Emote to only apply to people the one using it has teamed with.

I don't get all the raging about ESD zone chat / morons / arguments / chat griefers etc etc

Either turn off zone chat, or put zone chat into a separate chat window tab.

I separate my chat into 5 tabs - Fleet, Fleet cross channel, Team, Tell and Zone

Guess which one is active 99.99% of the time? yup that's right, fleet chat. I don't need to see what moronic things are being posted in zone unless I decide to actually watch it. Its not hard to set up chat in this way.

Party amps and balloons don't bother me in the slightest, sometimes I will join in, other times I just ignore, they in no way prevent me from doing what I went to ESD to do

You can switch off Zone Chat or ignore Individuals using Local/Tell to try and annoy you. But they can still use objects that force you into an action, thus potentially disrupting play. And I am not talking pure In-Engine things (Vendors, Trainers), but you know, Roleplaying.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I find "Net radio DJs" throwing parties in social zones to be disruptive, personally.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The only general harassment I've experienced in Zone chat were the Role-players, claiming they had the priority rights to the chat, but most of them fortunately most of them seem to have crawled into their own private channels by now.

Yes, the Disco balls are annoying... But no more than the pink guy running around, or the "joker" or "homer".

Personally I am looking forward to the new ESD... It's much easier for the eyes and feels better to navigate... Let's not even get started on how it seems more realistic.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I too have always found the party ball and balloons annoying. Especially if I am working at the exchange and several people are doing it making it worse for me to post sales as they fail when the zone lags. I end up switching instances but more idiots come along it never fails.

I avoid ESD at all costs on most occasions. I tend to spend most of my time at Dyson which has everything needed and less idiots. Before someone brings the whole we are just partying thing and we have a right to I say your right ended when the lag began. Lets just call the spade that you are attempting and like being an ***hat. The total objective of these players is to annoy others.

I do have a compromise for them though allow that junk in a very select part of the dock only in the club area. Quite frankly I am becoming tempted the next time I see a party ball or balloon popper go off is to log on all my accounts and bring the zone to standstill. Let's see if Cryptic will do something about it then.
    edited March 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    The only general harassment I've experienced in Zone chat were the Role-players, claiming they had the priority rights to the chat, but most of them fortunately most of them seem to have crawled into their own private channels by now.

Yes, the Disco balls are annoying... But no more than the pink guy running around, or the "joker" or "homer".

Personally I am looking forward to the new ESD... It's much easier for the eyes and feels better to navigate... Let's not even get started on how it seems more realistic.

Did you know that the original ESD had 'Club 47' split off from the 'Ring'? It was, for once, far enough away from the 'Ground' that Local/Emote did not reach there, plus there was another level, a 'Lounge', which was far enough from the 'Club'. Same with Quarks on DS9, in fact, Quarks is fully instanced.
    Even with me identifying as 'Roleplayer', I distance myself from 'In Character Only' Zone chat. Far from it, Zone is as random as it can be. Local, on the other hand (limited reach, limited to one instance) is more like the 'Roleplayer chat'.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I find "Net radio DJs" throwing parties in social zones to be disruptive, personally.

All of it is very easy to ignore. The dance room, run right by it. ESD chat? Scrolls so fast I don't care.

I spend a lot of time at ESD, and barely register any disruption.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lol, STO doesn't have GMs.

Actually they do.
    Once a GM responded to one of my tickets.
    It was about an MKVIII rifle I got as an episode reward while leveling my very first character and I was unable to equip.
    When he contacted me I was already playing my fully leveled and equipped THIRD character.... back in a time where leveling took about a month... but still.... he existed....
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've said this before and I'll say it again - no matter what they do with ESD, or even if they continue revamping it once per year :rolleyes:, it will never become a friendly and wellcoming place for new players of the game until they finally hire some GMs to observe and control the situation.
    Anyone that played WoW will understand this reference - I've seen days when ESD zone chat would make the Barrens chat blush of shame.

Their first impression will be negative regardless the pretty design because any new player won't have zone chat disabled and won't know that it's required in order to keep his/hers sanity, then will do just what I did long time ago - watch the rubbish going on for 5 mins, scratching my head, pressing "M" and looking for the nearest other starbase and never return unless there is something I absolutely can't do in any other place in the game.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • spacegoatcx#8996 spacegoatcx Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why is it that whenever you get burned down over being a mix of utterly wrong and at times completely insane, dear Khemaraa, you go and make another ridiculous thread full of ranting and raging?

The world is far larger than you, not to mention your completely zealous endorsement of SSR borders by now on obsession. I am seeing these threads made by you multiple times a week by now and it is both tiresome and worry-inspiring in terms of your mental state.

You in no way speak for or represent the greater playerbase, nor is it the job of anyone to cater to the desires of yourself or a small select group in an MMO with several hundred thousand players.

Quit being a man-child and learn to acknowledge when you in fact do not have a point and do not speak for anyone outside of your select group.

Learn to deal with the concept of other people playing an MMO and more importantly, become a part of the playerbase rather than expecting it to become a part of your personal fantasy world at demand.

Zones are there for every player, including the 99.99% you seem to have problems with by now.
    FvMLllF.jpg
    edited March 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I've said this before and I'll say it again - no matter what they do with ESD, or even if they continue revamping it once per year :rolleyes:, it will never become a friendly and wellcoming place for new players of the game until they finally hire some GMs to observe and control the situation.
    Anyone that played WoW will understand this reference - I've seen days when ESD zone chat would make the Barrens chat blush of shame.

Their first impression will be negative regardless the pretty design because any new player won't have zone chat disabled and won't know that it's required in order to keep his/hers sanity, then will do just what I did long time ago - watch the rubbish going on for 5 mins, scratching my head, pressing "M" and looking for the nearest other starbase and never return unless there is something I absolutely can't do in any other place in the game.

police the chat to make the game look like swtor ...Ban everyone I don't like...

heres a question for you my dear north korean.How many times your dear leader allows you to go on internet?