test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ESD is not going to improve zone use at ESD.

Comments

• sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is this thing called "Chat Settings." In it there are these little checked boxes with names like "Local" and "Zone" next to them. You can click on the checks and they go away. Back in game Local and Zone chat disappear. Magic.

eagledraco wrote: »
    Options > Video > Disable All "Party Effects"

Cryptic, Make it so! /End Thread

Agreed, do this
    y1arXbh.png

• damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    You know, disc jockeys trying to promote their internet radio stations. I find them almost as annoying as those who continue to bring up Gorn government conspiracies involving bacon and religion.

But...but...I like Gorn bacon. :D
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • spacegoatcx#8996 spacegoatcx Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I should have stated, "not enough to buy me a decent computer in Canada". Future Shop is ridiculously overpriced, and that's the only computer store in my hometown. Shipping isn't an option either. At the time I bought my laptop, it was the best one they had for the amount of money I could afford to pay.

And the "rest of that" is wise information that Cryptic should be taking into serious consideration for all major social zones. Since the "party ball trolling" is an issue to roleplayers, as is the limit of players one can have on any given instance, that suggestion alleviates those problems - and also helps others who are bogged down by a combination of overly large maps and too many players on one instance.

Actually I was going by the rather ridiculously overpriced component values here in the EU after having run it through a converter. Given the value of the Canadian dollar compared to the US and a new conversion it is still more than adequate coming out at 332.87 euro which will buy a decent prebuilt off of the net. Shipping not being an option is not the problem of Cryptic or PWE and becomes on option even for people without a credit card after proper research and time investment. Where there is a will there is a way. Being too lazy to find it is no excuse.

As to the "rest of that" yet again, a brief summary of your statement is essentially "I want to play an MMO without anyone in it besides my friends because I cannot deal with other people not playing the way I want them to." combined with "Anyone who doesn't appease me and my playstyle is a troll!". Trying to justify a weak point with an even weaker arguement that thinly veils what can be classed as whining does nothing for you.

Overcrowded instances is also utter rubbish. I might remind you that if you absolutely must get to another instance someone you know is on, forming a team allows you to switch to that instance even if it is full.
    FvMLllF.jpg
  • firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    I shouldn't have to turn off Zone/Local in order to accommodate those who are violating the PWE Terms of Service, especially when this nonsense only happens in certain areas. I am expected to limit my options because some microbrain is spewing racial slurs, homophobic hate speech, sexist "humor"? No. PWE should step up to the plate and mete out justice.

Whether it bothers you or not is not the question. There are plenty of things the trolls do in an effort to annoy other players that don't phase me one bit. Most of the time the dancing griefer ball doesn't bother me. However, the dancing griefer ball stops the Nerve Tonic dance and forces the person doing it into the dance mix. Go check the price of a Nerve Tonic on the Exchange. Time how long it takes to get one from the mission. Try to get another while you already have one (whether from the mission or the Exchange). There are ways to get around the "one at a time per character," limit, but that's not the point. The point is that these jerks pretend to be morally outraged over an ancient art form so that they can "justify" their harassment. Have they ever watched TOS? Star Trek was not written to entertain puritans (or pseudo-puritans), neurotics, or bigots.

Sure, I can get foundry missions to do the dance, but they only work in certain places (and those places are ironically open to those who will toss a snowball or unleash a dancing griefer ball because they wish to annoy others.)

Someone else said that f2p games cannot manage this sort of rule enforcement; that is simply not true. I've seen other companies deal with things of this nature rather swiftly.

Another is accusing those who disapprove of hate speech and bigoted slurs of being "antisocial sociopaths"! Of course, he probably intends that as a dig at people who dislike him and his pals tossing the dancing griefer ball and such things at them, because it would ruin the "fun" of players with DPD whose only reply to past/current abuse is to react irrationally (rather than respond rationally) by perpetuating the cycle in any way they can, taking out their frustrations on people who had/have nothing to do with it by intentionally exerting themselves in efforts to annoy those other people -- and yet it's those people who are being targeted for harassment who are now "antisocial sociopaths"? That's rich.

Very nice post. To me one of the areas Cryptic has cut corners is in this aspect. The chat is something I would recommend people tune out but it would police the community heavily and prevent a lot of work from their mods, but when when the train runs away you got nothing. If you work with the status quo you aren't innovating you are imitating.

All it takes is one company like Blizzard to start a trend and make sure that they stay cleaned up yeah its a lot of work. They don't but it takes one big company to punish reprobates and the others might actually learn.
  • thyrnecristhyrnecris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sle1989 wrote: »
    There is this thing called "Chat Settings." In it there are these little checked boxes with names like "Local" and "Zone" next to them. You can click on the checks and they go away. Back in game Local and Zone chat disappear. Magic.

Agreed, do this

This only takes care of the Chat issue, however, it doesn't take care of being forced into an action.
    Also, I DO have no pity with people that, as it has been mentioned earlier by someone, pull off highly sexualized roleplay in public. Even with the decline of ship interiors, public instances should be kept clean. Suggestive? Sure. Hell, the game itself is pretty much pulling that off (Risa, female Orion NPCs). But once it escalates? As long as one has a ship using the 'Default Factional Interior' of any kind, one can retreat there (especially Warbird interiors are quite nice, and those can be used instead of the 'Tin can' Scimitar or Dyson Interiors, too).

Oh, and explicit sexualized chat in chat channels permanently provided by Cryptic (Zone, Local, Emote and so on) IS a petitionable offense. Custom Chat channels, however, are another thing, as is Team Chat, Tell, or Local in a personalized Instance (Mission Interior, Ship interior).
  • firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thyrnecris wrote: »
    This only takes care of the Chat issue, however, it doesn't take care of being forced into an action.
    Also, I DO have no pity with people that, as it has been mentioned earlier by someone, pull off highly sexualized roleplay in public. Even with the decline of ship interiors, public instances should be kept clean. Suggestive? Sure. Hell, the game itself is pretty much pulling that off (Risa, female Orion NPCs). But once it escalates? As long as one has a ship using the 'Default Factional Interior' of any kind, one can retreat there (especially Warbird interiors are quite nice, and those can be used instead of the 'Tin can' Scimitar or Dyson Interiors, too).

Oh, and explicit sexualized chat in chat channels permanently provided by Cryptic (Zone, Local, Emote and so on) IS a petitionable offense. Custom Chat channels, however, are another thing, as is Team Chat, Tell, or Local in a personalized Instance (Mission Interior, Ship interior).

I used to see this in quark's all the time I had tons of alts that were here and the RPer's used to make me sick with it. Whitelisting was the best thing they ever did. They had one Orion Starfleet officer from alien and 10 people would be able to educate on how to violate that person.

I can ignore all that TRIBBLE now and what I want is to be able to ignore balloons and party balls.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lerpyderp wrote: »
    Actually I was going by the rather ridiculously overpriced component values here in the EU after having run it through a converter. Given the value of the Canadian dollar compared to the US and a new conversion it is more than adequate. Shipping not being an option is not the problem of Cryptic or PWE and becomes on option even for people without a credit card after proper research and time investment. Where there is a will there is a way. Being too lazy to find it is no excuse.

I have a suspicion that you're just looking to invoke an emotional response. If so, I have my finger on the Cryptic support button.

No one is deemed "lazy" simply because they don't have the resources to start with. Back in 2012, I went computer shopping after my previous laptop broke. After browsing the websites of any store in my town that can sell a computer, Future Shop had the two computers that I 1) could afford, and 2) would suffice for gaming.

According to Cryptic's game specifications, the laptop I have now satisfies, and exceeds, both the required and recommended operating system specs. So by all rights, it should run the game smoothly. Not 60+ FPS, but smoothly.

The problem with the major social zones are summarized best by two points. The current ESD map, and other social maps of its type (Qo'noS, DS9, etc) are not only large, but have too much detail to attempt to compute smoothly. Normally my computer doesn't have a problem with this, but it does factor in.

The second problem, and the problem that causes the stalls on my computer (according to /fpsgraph), are the number of players in one instance. On ESD, I believe the max number of players is 50 in one instance. I have switched zones to less crowded ones, which speeds up my computer. But again, according to the recommended specs of the game, my computer should not be struggling with processing the raw data of 49 other people from around the globe, in addition to the large and detailed maps.

"Where there is a will, there is a way" is a lousy expression for this context. If you don't have the resources to afford a computer which must be well over this game's recommended specs to perform smoothly, you can't buy a computer. Simple as that.
    As to the "rest of that" yet again, a brief summary of your statement is essentially "I want to play an MMO without anyone in it besides my friends because I cannot deal with other people not playing the way I want them to." combined with "Anyone who doesn't appease me and my playstyle is a troll!". Trying to justify a weak point with an even weaker arguement that thinly veils what can be classed as whining does nothing for you.
    Nice attempt at a summary of my words, but it is wholly inaccurate. I will explain it again in further detail.

Roleplayers sometimes have a difficult time forming a sizable roleplaying group on one map. This is due to the restriction the game puts in place for the number of players who can be on one instance at a time. (If you right-click on the name of the map and hit "change instance", a menu will appear telling you how many people are in an instance. Max is around 50, depending on the map) So if a roleplayer group wants to have a session with 60 people, they can't have that all on the same map.

Another issue roleplayers experience is the trolling they encounter in a social zone such as ESD, Drozana, etc. By "trolling", I mean the party balls, comments in zone chat, player animations etc. Unfortunately for them, roleplayers have no method of being in a zone AND controlling who is in that zone. And with the lack of private channel control, they cannot kick out people from their own chat channels either, because said people will immediately rejoin the channel.

That's why I suggested the two points I said before.
    1) STO's instance-assigning line of code should be reduced to a lower number, to avoid problems users experience with having too many people on one zone.
    2) Allow users to create their own private instances of fully functional social maps, and control who is allowed. Similar to how starship bridges work.
    Overcrowded instances is also utter rubbish. I might remind you that if you absolutely must get to another instance someone you know is on, forming a team allows you to switch to that instance even if it is full.

Try that at Ker'rat. That technique does not work.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • cmdr0shepard01cmdr0shepard01 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    though i get what you are all saying. i don`t think that it is the huge problem here.

More important would be to do somthing against the motherf***ing leechers, the last two weeks i encountered more leechers than ever in PVE and PVP before.
    On the last spire attack i had 3, i repeat 3 leechers:mad:

it`s getting out of hand now!
    edited March 2014
    though i get what you are all saying. i don`t think that it is the huge problem here.

More important would be to do somthing against the motherf***ing leechers, the last two weeks i encountered more leechers than ever in PVE and PVP before.
    On the last spire attack i had 3, i repeat 3 leechers:mad:

it`s getting out of hand now!

Unlike social zones, there is such a thing as "private PvE queues". If you open the PvE panel, go to the "Create" tab and choose the mission you want to run, you can control who joins your team. Chat channels such as PublicEliteSTF, PublicNWS, etc have some pretty good players who aren't leechers, and who would be willing to join you.

Hope this helps :)
  • cmdr0shepard01cmdr0shepard01 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    cheers mate :)
  • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Wow. Really? Disco Balls are OP. Please nerf. Role players are OP. Please nerf. ESD chat is OP. Please nerf. Seriously, people, it's a video game. Go play. Oh wait...are the servers back up yet?:D
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
    edited March 2014
    I have a suspicion that you're just looking to invoke an emotional response. If so, I have my finger on the Cryptic support button.

No one is deemed "lazy" simply because they don't have the resources to start with. Back in 2012, I went computer shopping after my previous laptop broke. After browsing the websites of any store in my town that can sell a computer, Future Shop had the two computers that I 1) could afford, and 2) would suffice for gaming.

According to Cryptic's game specifications, the laptop I have now satisfies, and exceeds, both the required and recommended operating system specs. So by all rights, it should run the game smoothly. Not 60+ FPS, but smoothly.

The problem with the major social zones are summarized best by two points. The current ESD map, and other social maps of its type (Qo'noS, DS9, etc) are not only large, but have too much detail to attempt to compute smoothly. Normally my computer doesn't have a problem with this, but it does factor in.

The second problem, and the problem that causes the stalls on my computer (according to /fpsgraph), are the number of players in one instance. On ESD, I believe the max number of players is 50 in one instance. I have switched zones to less crowded ones, which speeds up my computer. But again, according to the recommended specs of the game, my computer should not be struggling with processing the raw data of 49 other people from around the globe, in addition to the large and detailed maps.

"Where there is a will, there is a way" is a lousy expression for this context. If you don't have the resources to afford a computer which must be well over this game's recommended specs to perform smoothly, you can't buy a computer. Simple as that.

Nice attempt at a summary of my words, but it is wholly inaccurate. I will explain it again in further detail.

Roleplayers sometimes have a difficult time forming a sizable roleplaying group on one map. This is due to the restriction the game puts in place for the number of players who can be on one instance at a time. (If you right-click on the name of the map and hit "change instance", a menu will appear telling you how many people are in an instance. Max is around 50, depending on the map) So if a roleplayer group wants to have a session with 60 people, they can't have that all on the same map.

Another issue roleplayers experience is the trolling they encounter in a social zone such as ESD, Drozana, etc. By "trolling", I mean the party balls, comments in zone chat, player animations etc. Unfortunately for them, roleplayers have no method of being in a zone AND controlling who is in that zone. And with the lack of private channel control, they cannot kick out people from their own chat channels either, because said people will immediately rejoin the channel.

1) STO's instance-assigning line of code should be reduced to a lower number, to avoid problems users experience with having too many people on one zone.
    2) Allow users to create their own private instances of fully functional social maps, and control who is allowed. Similar to how starship bridges work.

Try that at Ker'rat. That technique does not work.

How is informing you that based on the overpriced EU markets the 500 Canadian dollars you admitted to spending on the game would easily buy you a proper PC to play the game attempting to spark an emotional response?

The part about your home town store is wholely irrelevant as you seem to have an internet connection and likely have a bank account, therefore enabling you to make purchases online, even without a credit card as earlier stated.

Also if you have the resources to spend that much on the game, you had the resources to buy a PC to run it properly. That you chose to spend it on the game without being able to run it shows little more than poor spending habits and judgement.

If your laptop supposedly has the appropriate specs, are you running the appropriate settings to those specs and taking into account that running other programs in the background is also going to contribute to slowing it down?

Make sure you can run a game before you invest in it. Period.

Now to the rest: You said the same exact things again in the same exact manner. You do not like interacting with other people outside of your select circle in an MMO. Please proceed to explain to me how this is any fault of the playerbase, Cryptic, PWE, or literally anyone besides yourself? Other people playing the same game as you does not classify as trolling.

Ker'rat is an odd one out and you were discussing social zones. In short: Another excuse.

Anyways, I have politely explained why your points are flawed and you are beginning to remind me of this man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRPOEa3P44

Do not be this man.
    FvMLllF.jpg
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Considering that people were banned for saying gorn jokes I think your GM means Gorn Manager.
    How you know what is spam?Please define spam because Ive seen "smart people" who reported people for trying to sell something in chat.How is that spam ...how you know I don't want to buy that thing.

now move on to your sociopathic speech :rolleyes:
    you play or chat?

not this time.They now want the new esd to be a roleplayer place so everyone else has to be banned.

you are exaggerating stuff, nothing for you to worry about, wanting rules enforced is not sociopathic, lol.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    edited March 2014
    How is informing you that based on the overpriced EU markets the 500 Canadian dollars you admitted to spending on the game would easily buy you a proper PC to play the game attempting to spark an emotional response?
    I was referring to this:
    lerpyderp wrote:
    ...a brief summary of your statement is essentially "I want to play an MMO without anyone in it besides my friends because I cannot deal with other people not playing the way I want them to." combined with "Anyone who doesn't appease me and my playstyle is a troll!".
    Being unnecessarily sarcastic is provoking an emotional response.
    The part about your home town store is wholely irrelevant as you seem to have an internet connection and likely have a bank account, therefore enabling you to make purchases online, even without a credit card as earlier stated.
    I don't understand where this line of reasoning originates from. Shipping costs (such as those from UPN, Purolator, etc) are a factor, if not a significant factor, of the total expenditure. You can't just ignore paying for the item to get to your location.
    Also if you have the resources to spend that much on the game, you had the resources to buy a PC to run it properly. That you chose to spend it on the game without being able to run it shows little more than poor spending habits and judgement.

Over the last two years I have been saving and spending money. It's not like I had X amount to start with, and no additional money coming in. Purchases were made based on how much I had available at the time.
    If your laptop supposedly has the appropriate specs, are you running the appropriate settings to those specs and taking into account that running other programs in the background is also going to contribute to slowing it down? Make sure you can run a game before you invest in it. Period.
    Yes, all of my settings are at the lowest possible state. I have the minimal number of programs running in the background (ie nothing on the taskbar, and a short task manager list).
    Now to the rest: You said the same exact things again in the same exact manner. You do not like interacting with other people outside of your select circle in an MMO. Please proceed to explain to me how this is any fault of the playerbase, Cryptic, PWE, or literally anyone besides yourself? Other people playing the same game as you does not classify as trolling.
    I actually enjoy interacting with others in a massively multiplayer online game. I am speaking for the roleplayers here.

You would like me to explain how this is the fault of 1) the playerbase, 2) Cryptic/PWE/Devs, or 3) anyone but myself. Okay.

1) The playerbase is not at fault. As humans, not all of us agree on the same definition of appropriate behaviour. And that's perfectly understandable.

2) It is Cryptic/PWE/Devs' responsibility to provide a safe area to spend time in. That's why the ToS are written. It is also in their best interest to provide social areas which are inviting for players to spend time (and money!) in.
    If Cryptic wants to promote a casual and inflammatory environment, they should be policing the people who cross the line in terms of acceptable behaviour, both in the form of the ToS and in the interests of players who ask others to stop bothering their own groups. Although there is a GM system in place to take care of the first point, the second point remains unaddressed. Thus, players who fit in the range between bothering players and abiding by the ToS are what drives the roleplaying groups out of social zones.

3) The trolling players/groups are a reason behind why the roleplaying groups do not stay in social maps, and instead retreat to fleet starbases and use their local channel there. And since trolling players who abide by the ToS can't be reported and removed from the game, and Cryptic refuses to create private instances of social zone maps, roleplayers must accommodate those who bother others intentioanlly.

Perhaps you read, but didn't understand, the content I stated previously. I encourage you to read it again.

"Roleplayers sometimes have a difficult time forming a sizable roleplaying group on one map. This is due to the restriction the game puts in place for the number of players who can be on one instance at a time. (If you right-click on the name of the map and hit "change instance", a menu will appear telling you how many people are in an instance. Max is around 50, depending on the map) So if a roleplayer group wants to have a session with 60 people, they can't have that all on the same map.

2) Allow users to create their own private instances of fully functional social maps, and control who is allowed. Similar to how starship bridges work."

Ker'rat is an odd one out and you were discussing social zones. In short: Another excuse.
    Although Ker'rat is not a social zone, true, the instance assigning technology is likely no different than the one used by ESD, or by Qo'noS.
    Anyways, I have politely explained why your points are flawed and you are beginning to remind me of this man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRPOEa3P44

Do not be this man.
    lerpyderp wrote:
    a brief summary of your statement is essentially "I want to play an MMO without anyone in it besides my friends because I cannot deal with other people not playing the way I want them to." combined with "Anyone who doesn't appease me and my playstyle is a troll!"
    Although you live in a different area and different culture than I do, I still feel as if tyour comments are not "polite" in any way, shape or form. And now you instruct me to avoid acting like a man with an obvious mental condition, who you implicitly put down simply because of what you see, and not the whole picture of that man's life.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    if they put everything available on ESD on in the Captain's Table I would never set foot in ESD again
    sig.jpg
  • galvantioxgalvantiox Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i like ESD because its a good place to meet girls
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Who uses zone chat? :rolleyes:
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree with the OP, I went to ESD the other day to retrain some BOFF and when I transported in and did my training I looked at Zone chat and there were these kids (I assumed they were kids no right minded adult would talk like that in a online game) talking about sex and all sorts of other related things.

I mean seriously there is a time and place for that and publicly in a public channel on a MMO is not the place. The lack of GM actions have always been a concerned to me. People run wild breaking the EULA and nothing is done about it. My ignore list is 20x larger than my friends list because of this.

At the end of the day, there just needs to be more action on the GM's part, if there are no GM's then they need to employ some. Seriously they make enough darn money off Fleet Modules, Lock Box keys and all the other Asian money gaining methods they now use in this game.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
    edited March 2014
    By now your attempts to cling to any possible justification to not acknowledge that I am right trigger an emotional response: Pity.

Shipping costs if ordered from the right place are waived if over a certain sum, so again, research. Even when taken into account 332.87€ will purchase a PC plus shipping costs which here are quite hefty.

Over the last 2 years you could have built savings when you had the chance. You did not.

Your game is on the bare minimum and you are likely running the absolute minimal specifications. It is no wonder it does not run well, it is not supposed to. See minimal specifications vs recommended.

You are speaking for a select crowd, my group also contains roleplayers and they find this to be nothing more than narcissism. Seek out a single player or private server based game that you and your friends can manage should you have such difficulties dealing with others.

Actually, Ker'rat does run on a different basis, hence my recommendation to do what I stated earlier as it does work within social zones. Selective ignorance does not make for good arguements.

Taking the time to explain things to someone is quite polite in most cultures. Remaining ignorant and aggressive when proven wrong via said explanations removes the entitlement to that politeness. You are now entering the pretty princess realm of entitlement. Again, do not do that.

My original points stand: If your PC is bad, blame yourself and begin saving or investing. If you cannot deal with other people, then do not complain when you expose yourself to situations where you will, such as playing an MMO.
    FvMLllF.jpg
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ESD zone revamp is going to improve useless spent money and time like cryptic is known for. (Since Season 4)tm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    By now your attempts to cling to any possible justification to not acknowledge that I am right trigger an emotional response: Pity.

Shipping costs if ordered from the right place are waived if over a certain sum, so again, research. Even when taken into account 332.87€ will purchase a PC plus shipping costs which here are quite hefty.

Over the last 2 years you could have built savings when you had the chance. You did not.

Your game is on the bare minimum and you are likely running the absolute minimal specifications. It is no wonder it does not run well, it is not supposed to. See minimal specifications vs recommended.

You are speaking for a select crowd, my group also contains roleplayers and they find this to be nothing more than narcissism. Seek out a single player or private server based game that you and your friends can manage should you have such difficulties dealing with others.

Actually, Ker'rat does run on a different basis, hence my recommendation to do what I stated earlier as it does work within social zones. Selective ignorance does not make for good arguements.

Taking the time to explain things to someone is quite polite in most cultures. Remaining ignorant and aggressive when proven wrong via said explanations removes the entitlement to that politeness. You are now entering the pretty princess realm of entitlement. Again, do not do that.

My original points stand: If your PC is bad, blame yourself and begin saving or investing. If you cannot deal with other people, then do not complain when you expose yourself to situations where you will, such as playing an MMO.

The shipping costs depend on the computer being ordered. And yes, they do factor into the total cost of purchasing a computer over the Internet, which is why I went to a local store within walking distance. In addition, your location factors into cost as well.

Yes, my game is being run on minimal settings, but as I said before, my computer's specifications exceed both the minimum and recommended specs to run the game.

There is a significant difference between "difficulties dealing with others", and dealing with players who intentionally interrupt the social gaming experience of others. If there was a single player/private server version of STO, I'm sure those players would play there; however, Cryptic does not offer that option.

"Actually, Ker'rat does run on a different basis". I would like to see the proof behind this statement before I comment on this further.

Explaining concepts is one thing, linking a video completely irrelevant to the topic is another - and is, in fact, considered spam by this forum's ToS. In addition, by linking the video, you are not only intending to provoke, but also putting down a group of people who are not as fortunate as others.

I have no objections to "if your PC can't run the game according to STO's min/recommended settings, it's your fault". That's fine, it makes sense. However, if the computer meets or exceeds the recommended specs of the game, there is no reason why the game should have as many problems as it currently does, in terms of too many people on an instance. And in regards to social interaction, if a player cannot respect the appropriate boundaries of another player(s), that player should be removed; and in addition, measures must be put in place to protect those who ask others to "stop" but continue to pester.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have no objections to "if your PC can't run the game according to STO's min/recommended settings, it's your fault". That's fine, it makes sense. However, if the computer meets or exceeds the recommended specs of the game, there is no reason why the game should have as many problems as it currently does, in terms of too many people on an instance. And in regards to social interaction, if a player cannot respect the appropriate boundaries of another player(s), that player should be removed; and in addition, measures must be put in place to protect those who ask others to "stop" but continue to pester.

Why do everyone always assume that there are too many players that lag them out? It's their damn rendering system.

They don't use LODS ie, level of detail, where futher away the model is lower poly and only close up is it higher poly aka for the non-modelers out there more detailed = high poly. But the biggest issue is the fact that their rendering system for some odd reason stacks identical models (exactly same model pieces with the exactly same poly count) onto of one another. In basic terms again for the non-modeler/modder/programmer etc, you're loading 4-8 times the amount of models you need (depending on how many they stack). So each ship for example is 4 times what you see. May as well have 4 different ships there. It's something that really needs to be addressed. If they spent a half season to fix this lag would drop to almost nothing. It would ease the servers, ease people's networks and make social zones run a lot more smoothly in terms of playability. Plus larger instances wouldn't be that much of a problem either.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
    edited March 2014
    Why do everyone always assume that there are too many players that lag them out? It's their damn rendering system.

They don't use LODS ie, level of detail, where futher away the model is lower poly and only close up is it higher poly aka for the non-modelers out there more detailed = high poly. But the biggest issue is the fact that their rendering system for some odd reason stacks identical models (exactly same model pieces with the exactly same poly count) onto of one another. In basic terms again for the non-modeler/modder/programmer etc, you're loading 4-8 times the amount of models you need (depending on how many they stack). So each ship for example is 4 times what you see. May as well have 4 different ships there. It's something that really needs to be addressed. If they spent a half season to fix this lag would drop to almost nothing. It would ease the servers, ease people's networks and make social zones run a lot more smoothly in terms of playability. Plus larger instances wouldn't be that much of a problem either.

Thanks majestic for the post. I'm far from an expert on computers, so I value this.

Majestic's post contributes further to my point. Perhaps the computer slow-downs are not attributed to an Internet/server based problem, but that of the game engine inefficiently running the game. Another example of how Cryptic botched up the game engine when handling areas with large numbers of objects.
    edited March 2014
    Considering the Engine is how old at this point? Why is anyone still surprised? :confused:
    edited March 2014
    This grows repetitive.

332.87€, I have found several PCs capable of running STO on high to max for 220-280 simply browsing Ebay within my country. Max shipping cost was still below 20. Your point has been proven moot.

Purchasing locally also means convinience charges and pricings, even with shipping costs purchasing online is an availabke and far cheaper option. This ammounts to you did not take/want to take the time to check out alternative options and spent money on a game you have issues running. You may choose how you want to title this: Lazy or ignorant.

Contact Cryptic technical support in that is really the case instead of using it as a useless reason to protest. Be patient and wait for an answer if you already have.

Ranting about in-game items existing and being used is equivalent to shouting at the sun for being bright and your arguements amount to demanding it have an off switch.

Your "trolling" has been defined as animations, character proximity, using social items, and using the chat system. This is called playing the game. If it causes you lag or distress, again, how is this someone else's problem? Also given your manner of behaving in this forum, it is not much wonder that you would attract negative attention.

That video was actually quite relevant. Most of what you have to say amounts to "Why won't you do what I want?! Why?!". Reflecting on your own attitudes might serve you well.

I have not at any stage put you down, I have replied based on information you freely gave. Your own oversensitivity to reactions to that as well as to your attitude is again not anyone else's fault as you are choosing to behave in that manner and provide that information.
    FvMLllF.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks majestic for the post. I'm far from an expert on computers, so I value this.

Majestic's post contributes further to my point. Perhaps the computer slow-downs are not attributed to an Internet/server based problem, but that of the game engine inefficiently running the game. Another example of how Cryptic botched up the game engine when handling areas with large numbers of objects.
    Honestly, aside from the lag-hole days, (almost) the only time I ever have issues is if I turn the graphics up. I usually run at renderscale .5. But I can play the game fine on most maps at higher settings. i use .5 because it's reliable.

The only time that I've seen themgame become unplayably slow was actually NOT the game's fault at all. It was because a browser window that I habitually leave open had developed a memory leak and decided to eat ALL of system memory. After I killed that, the game went back to working normally, I didn't even have to close the game.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited March 2014
    What are you guy's even arguing about? Lag can be caused by dozens of problems at once, it's my MMO's are so hard to make! :confused:
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    elessym wrote: »
    As a free to play game, the ratio of disruptive players to GMs is through the roof. Even subscription based games have trouble keeping a civil environment, so there's little hope for FTP.

It's Lord of the Flies from here on out.

I think the best solution is to design systems where griefing is minimized through system design.

If you don't want players saying, "LOLOLOLOL it's a game" then you need engaging content and systems. (And I don't think the solution is to force players to read books worth of dialogue; it's more surgical than that. You need gameplay oriented towards immersion.) If you don't want players minmaxing, you have to take control and information away from players in combat. If you don't want players behaving badly, I think you need in game consequences.

For example, stand on a table too long and a security team bursts in, takes you down, and beams you to a brig for 5 minutes and you get a lecture from an NPC about disorderly conduct. The next time 10, the next time 15, and so on.

I think the old Sierra style and Police Quest games grasped a lot of this. In Police Quest 3, you could run outside naked (pixelated) but then you'd get shot.

I don't think you needGMs monitoring chat so much as you need NPCs with watchlist of words triggered by channel bots. The NPCs come in and haul you off for a mandatory court martial hearing.

Yes, some people would break the rules once or twice to see it but they'd get tired of it.
    edited March 2014
    Hehehehehehe. That would be hilarious.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you don't want players behaving badly, I think you need in game consequences.

For example, stand on a table too long and a security team bursts in, takes you down, and beams you to a brig for 5 minutes and you get a lecture from an NPC about disorderly conduct. The next time 10, the next time 15, and so on.

Best. Idea. Ever.

But seriously, not only does the offending player see the consequences of their actions, they do so in a manner that fits the theme of the game :)
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.