test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update The Original U.S.S. Enterprise

Comments

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Since they are doing an expansion this year and since it isn't a faction, I'll get a chuckle out of threads like this if it turns out Cryptic inked a deal with Paramount and CBS to do a JJ Trek themed Expanshalone.

And that's the day I'm going to start a petition to bring in Harry Potter in STO. ;) :P
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    i leave for a few months come back AND? people still prattling on and on about why JJTrek needs to be in STO.

will this mundane subject ever die ? :rolleyes:

PROTIP: If you want a particular topic to die, do not post in said thread. Posting engages the discussion and keeps the thread both bumped high and alive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Actually IIRC, there won't be a star trek III JJverse. He's committed to Star Wars and I don't think we're going to get a III.

He's still on board to be producer. Bad Robot is still controlling its direction for the third. He just won't be directing it. So far, all I've heard rumor-wise is that Kurtzman and Orci will still be involved.

So it'll still be the same cast and crew moving forward, no matter what shorthand/slang term gets used to identify it. Quinto, Pine, Urban, Soldana, Pegg and Cho.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    a3001 wrote: »
    Mein Gott, imagine if it was another Nukara style grind for reputation!

Given our new Eepho, I'd expect a grind to make Nukara look like Sponsorship-Token augmented Dyson.
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are 3 reasons JJTrek ruined most of Star Trek....

1. Nero was more sane in the comics than in the movie... even after he went all "insane" with grief. Instead of holding to his duty, his honor-bound promise... he just attacks the nearest Feddy ship.... It's BAD when Comic Book Writers have better sense of a character than the Movie Writers scripting him....

2. An android that isn't Data is ON THE ENTERPRISE ..... no... JUST NO

3. This Kahn isn't Kahn because you can't even HAVE Kahn without TOS:Space Seed... Mister Cumberbunt was tossed into a plot that didn't even need him....
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I can't believe 13 pages of replies to an OBVIOUS troll, I bet he's sitting back and laughing his TRIBBLE off as some of the seriousness in this thread.
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
    edited February 2014
    sunseahl wrote: »
    It's BAD when Comic Book Writers have better sense of a character than the Movie Writers scripting him....

Uh, they're the same writers. Kurtzman and Orci came up with the comic book plot. And the movie plot.
    3. This Kahn isn't Kahn because you can't even HAVE Kahn without TOS:Space Seed... Mister Cumberbunt was tossed into a plot that didn't even need him....

Uh, Into Darkness IS Space Seed. All of the relevant beats from the TOS episode are in the new film.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ptiago920 wrote: »
    After seeing the New Star Trek Movies, i think that it would be a good thought if the Original Enterprise were update for the 2009 version. I know that the Enterprise from 2009 and 2013 is in a parallel universe, but... Who cares?
    I think a renewed version of this ship would be good for the game itself.

And by the way update also it's interior!!

I leave here a youtube movie from this Enterprise version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0i72CsaL2I

What do u think of this sugestion?

They dont have the copyrights for the JJ Trek stuff. So you can forget about seeing that exact ship in STO. Even IF it could be done, they'd better give us a T5 connie at the same time or Trekkies everywhere would revolt! :mad:
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited February 2014

1. Nero was more sane in the comics than in the movie... even after he went all "insane" with grief. Instead of holding to his duty, his honor-bound promise... he just attacks the nearest Feddy ship.... It's BAD when Comic Book Writers have better sense of a character than the Movie Writers scripting him....

I can't believe 13 pages of replies to an OBVIOUS troll, I bet he's sitting back and laughing his TRIBBLE off as some of the seriousness in this thread.

^^^^AGREE I must!
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    johngazman wrote: »

I was actually JUST going to mention that, since I was just looking at one in game.
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I was actually JUST going to mention that, since I was just looking at one in game.

You keep your filthy paws off my exeter!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    redheadguy wrote: »
    They dont have the copyrights for the JJ Trek stuff. So you can forget about seeing that exact ship in STO. Even IF it could be done, they'd better give us a T5 connie at the same time or Trekkies everywhere would revolt! :mad:

Even IF this happened, CBS has said, and it's been said probably over a million times on this forum, they said no T5 connie that's it game over it won't happen. Even if the JJ junk came in, that doesn't mean CBS changes their mind.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited February 2014
    redheadguy wrote: »
    ^^^^AGREE I must!

Well that's a shame because you and the person you quoted are wrong about the Countdown comic.

The relevant comment I'm referring to:

" It's BAD when Comic Book Writers have better sense of a character than the Movie Writers scripting him"

The Memory Alpha entry on Countdown, just because it's a source that is rather thorough on Trek trivia.

So let's get right to the salient points of the comic:
    The series is written by Mike Johnson and Tim Jones, based on a story by Star Trek screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. David Messina is the artist for the series. The official description for the series reads as follows:

The countdown to the motion picture event of 2009 begins here, in the exclusive comics prequel to STAR TREK, the upcoming blockbuster film from Paramount Pictures! JJ Abrams, Roberto Orci, and Alex Kurtzman present the origin of Nero, the mysterious Romulan who will ultimately threaten the survival of the entire universe. Don't miss this story that brings STAR TREK back to the big screen!

Also note Mike Johnson and Tim Jones:
    Johnson and co-writer Tim Jones work for Kurtzman and Orci at their production company, K/O Productions

And even moreso:
    Orci, Kurtzman, and J.J. Abrams provided direction for the comic, while Orci supervised the project. Johnson and Jones were permitted to read parts of the script and watch parts of the film in order to write the comic, particularly those parts which dealt with Nero.

According to Johnson, every scene Nero has in the film fed into the comic book, while the comic gives much more subtext to his scenes. The writers chose to give his Romulan crew informal dialogue to reflect they are miners, not politicians or warriors.

So when someone states that the comic book writers got it right but the movie writers got it wrong, it looks completely ridiculous. THEY'RE THE SAME WRITERS!

And that's the thing about Countdown. It's FROM ABRAMS. It's all part of the JJ-Trek you all hate and despise so much.

And it's the catalyst for this game's story.

Countdown isn't separate from Abrams. It's all part of the same story that he and his people came up with for the movie.

I also think the third point the poster you quoted makes is the worst. Into Darkness contains all of the elements of Space Seed the episode. So I'm not sure that person even saw Into Darkness or hasn't seen Space Seed in ages (which you know, is on Netflix instant or can be viewed for free online).

So yeah, this is bananas. Gwen Stefani levels of bananas.

Countdown was created by Abrams, Orci, Kurtzman and Johnson and Jones. All part of the same group of people that created the film.

There's no separation. These are the ideas Abrams and crew came up with.

The hatred of the movie seems to blind too many people. It's weird. It's like, ok, I get it you didn't like the film. But the comic book tie-in? Same people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Due to the number of clueless idiots on the internet, it is extremely difficult to determine if someone is trolling or serious. After all, any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook. The more the OP posts, the easier it becomes to determine if he is serious or not. One or two posts is not enough to determine if he is serious or not.

After all, I could make a thread saying that we should have Imperial Destroyers and Vorlon ships since the multiple worlds theory implies that any fictional story is true somewhere. Therefore, since Star Trek had a few episodes that support this theory, then it makes sense to have starships from other IPs in this game since we already have 29th Century ships, Mirror Universe ships, and other alien ships. Without any indication that I am not being serious about it, then people will take me seriously and think I am an idiot for wanting this stuff in the game. Even if it seems completely obvious to me that I am just trolling.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited February 2014

I agree, we should have this locked since it would seem that the OP has left the party.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
    edited February 2014
    a3001 wrote: »
    I agree, we should have this locked since it would seem that the OP has left the party.

There's nothing in this thread that violates forum posting rules. No need for it to be locked. There's not even any actual trolling going on in this thread. It's just yet another discussion about the recent Star Trek movies. And how they pertain (and don't pertain) to this game.

You all are quick to throw around the word trolling. But I think you need some time in other parts of the internet to reacquaint yourselves with actual trolling. I recommend three days away from STO forums, spent solely on 4chan.

That'll set you straight on trolling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    .... I recommend three days away from STO forums, spent solely on 4chan.

That'll set you straight on trolling.

But not so good for one's sanity.
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I just don't get why everyone on both sides don't understand that:

1) Some people will NOT be satisfied until there is peanut butter in their chocolate.

2) Other people say "Get your chocolate outta my peanut butter!"

3) Holy Moses - the two things can actually CO-EXIST and Taste GOOD!?

Conclusion:
    CBS / Perfect World / Cryptic will eventually sell ANYTHING that tastes good (i.e. MONEY BABY!) And you just may have to put up with a little JJ-Trek in your Prime-Trek! DUH!
  • luvsto1701luvsto1701 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    And both CBS and Viacom/Paramount are controlled by National Amusements; plus Sumner Redstone is the Chairman of National Amusements, Viacom, and the Executive Chairman of CBS. :)

Lol wait, so you are saying CBS and Paramount are controlled by one company?

Then why do all these forum trolls always say no, and use the reason of one company telling the other company no?
  • wrenfuwrenfu Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree, I would love to command a nuclear powered aircraft carrier. but where would we sail it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014

Unfortunately deleted and cut scenes.

He's not an android, just a human with implants or something like that.

ID is Space seed not TWOK.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    luvsto1701 wrote: »

Then why do all these forum trolls always say no, and use the reason of one company telling the other company no?
    Because one company can tell the other company NO. The two companies can be forced to make nice by their parent company but the simple truth is this game is so far below Sumner Redstone's radar that it might as well be a pimple on the back of a toad.

While some fans choose to believe that STO is incredibly important the truth is that it is probably not even in the top 100 of CBS's Trek licenses, Paramount is only vaguely aware of its existence - and that is only because every so often CBS asks for something from them in behest of Cryptic - and, as I said above, it means nothing to Mr. Redstone.

It is simply too financially unimportant to the three corporations for major executive interference.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    luvsto1701 wrote: »

and also, they are no longer owned by the same company, Viacom if i'm not mistaken chopped off CBS.

this lead to the main shift of IP listing, CBS was given almost exlusive rights on the Star Trek franchise, apart from the JJ Verse which had to be so distinctly different than the CBS version they managed the movies.

and I should mention, just because a jumble of companies are owned by one major company, does not mean that major company owns the IP of those jumbled companies.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    and I should mention, just because a jumble of companies are owned by one major company, does not mean that major company owns the IP of those jumbled companies.
    You are quite wrong. If your company owns Pepsi, and I own your company, then I own Pepsi. That is why companies constantly buy each other - to get control of the assets that company owns. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • waveofthefuturewaveofthefuture Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I thought star trek online was about creating new voyages of your own, not having wet dreams about TOS. Sorry, I must be misguided...
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 649 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wrenfu wrote: »
    I agree, I would love to command a nuclear powered aircraft carrier. but where would we sail it?

Remember that space is an ocean.

These guys did it with a battleship, so why not a carrier?
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2014
    crank up the 1701 to tier 3 or 4 that would be sweet
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wrong universe OP... Nothing to update...

Try to keep up with the realities please.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You have no clue what a Board of Directors actually does, do you? They do not meet or work every day.

And let me say it again: Sumner Redstone owns the company via voting shares. His vote is the majority every single time a vote is required.

I do to and Sumner Redstone is not the CEO it is Leslie Moonvie.Mr. Redtone maybe one of the board of directors but he is not president CEO of CBS.This was clearly stated in the letter the STG got from him.

http://www.cbscorporation.com/ourcompany-executives.php?exec=150

I have been around in community a lot longer than you have and kept up with the news.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers