test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: A Step Between Stars (Warning: contains spoilers)

Comments

• firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The FE is quite impressive and I am hoping that will lead into fully opening the Delta Quadrant the same way we fly around the alpha quadrant. I have been wanting a serious expansion to the galaxy map for a long time. This step seems positive for the gameplay and story.

My disappointment is once again with the grinding for a "gift". We just got done with a grind 2 weeks ago. The new ships transform so now we have Star Trek: The Transformers Generation.

However PWE is known for bad grinds and I have tried other PWE games and the grind is not only worse but pay to win is more of an issue. STO is slowly going this way as well. I loathe these new ships as they once again destroy the balance between other Tier 5 ships and we will be seeing these in the C-Store as well.

Quite frankly I am really bored of ships in the C-Store. It would be nice to get other items than just ships. The C-Store is relatively useless to me. I'd start spending again if they had new interiors such as Voyager, a proper Sovereign interior the current ones SUCK. I loved the Defiant and TOS interiors.
  • chatranlechatranle Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    so was the anvierssay event the servers falling over and seeing how long people will keep trying to get back on
  • jkuang13jkuang13 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The mini-Q that makes you guess which color box he's in is incredibly frustrating when there's so many cadet NPCs running around. Couple that with a full instance makes it rather difficult to finish the five mini-Qs needed for the mission. Not impossible but also not as fun as they make it out to be.

Yeeeeeah, if you could just reduce the amount of cadet NPCs walking around, that'd be great. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC]Working as intended.[/SIGPIC]
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jkuang13 wrote: »
    The mini-Q that makes you guess which color box he's in is incredibly frustrating when there's so many cadet NPCs running around. Couple that with a full instance makes it rather difficult to finish the five mini-Qs needed for the mission. Not impossible but also not as fun as they make it out to be.

Yeeeeeah, if you could just reduce the amount of cadet NPCs walking around, that'd be great. :rolleyes:

There are too many people per instance and too few empty instances to switch to, especially on the klink side. I don't understand why we don't have an option to switch to a new instance, as opposed to choosing from nearly full ones.
  • asthalothasthaloth Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My disappointment is once again with the grinding for a "gift". We just got done with a grind 2 weeks ago. The new ships transform so now we have Star Trek: The Transformers Generation.

Whelp, I'm naming mine the Trypticon. :P
  • aversa1aversa1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the only "hirogen" i encountered was about a million people opening ship packs getting in the way of my screen.
  • remianenremianen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    es0archer wrote: »
    You obviously missed the point of the "AGAIN"...its their second feature mission that they give us that is single player...and I dont really care if it is 1% or 0.1% of the game...I play this game to PLAY WITH OTHER PEOPLE/FRIENDS. I beleive that most of the players come here for that too, if I wanted to play single player games...I would not play a MMO.

You're not getting it so I'll try to explain.

Many times, when doing missions in a group, you are forced to move at the pace of the group. If they're a rush-rush-rush type of group, you rarely have time to enjoy things like "story", in a mad dash to completion. So then you have to go back and do the mission solo if you want to experience/enjoy the story. Thus, many people prefer that story-based/heavy missions be single player/solo because it skips the first run (with the rush group). Now, before you say "you don't have to do it with a rush group", take into consideration that most people feel badly about holding others back. If you read slowly or absorb what you've read slower than your teammates do, that can cause a problem (if only a personal one). Doing it solo solves ALL of that. The pace is set by the individual player and there are no worries about outside influences.

It has little to do with people not wanting to play with others though there are some people who exult in that ability (often people who were playing MMOs back when you HAD to group, forced socialization was the order of the day). Two single player FEs just allow the devs to focus more on story than pure action and it also allows them to dole out rewards differently (because soloing has almost no overhead while grouping has tons (and raiding has even more)).
  • baratgabbaratgab Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i8472 wrote: »
    http://i.imgur.com/sVMf1Tn.jpg

The white figure by the wall... who is that? they disappear if i got any closer and can't target it.

Hey, I used to see the same figure in the 'Sphere of Influence' mission!

Near the console on the last platform were the gateway to the Obelisk ship was; it also disappeared when I got closer.

I'm quite confident (although not sure) about it, because I did that mission like 25 times to farm AP weapons for the Exchange.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    doubt that very much, that 8472 beamed up to its ship in orbit and you and a small fleet of fed ships engage and destroy that ship above p'jem. the ship itself can not work without its pilot anyways.

That doesn't preclude the possibility that he might have escaped just prior to the ship exploding, or that he even beamed up to that particular ship; it's not as if you communicated with the Undine again after he assumed Klingon form.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I managed to get in a play just a few minutes after it went live.

My first impression: At least it's not a "Sphere of Influence"-style clickfest - unlike that mission, I think I'll be able to play this one several times before tiring of it.

Great story, one that not only continues the Voth plot and reintroduces the new-and-improved Undine, but sets the stage for the long-rumored end to the Klingon-Federation war. I also liked the way they let the guest star - Tim Russ's Tuvok - actually fail. The player is supposed to be the hero of the story, of course, but previous missions with guest-star voiceovers still ended with the guest star at least coming out unscathed. Not so with Tuvok here.

Gameplay's good too - again, less clickies and more combat, which is always good. The EVA sequence was a little clunky, as the thruster suit takes some getting used to, but it looks great. Same with the Jenolen Dyson sphere sequence.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Best scene was the Undine shot coming through the Dyson Sphere doors.... I do not want encounter whatever took that shot.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited January 2014
    Perhaps theyre saving the real badguys for season 9? though it would be nice to have two different stories in 9, some kind of war with the undine and then some stuff with the other dudes whose names on NVM the iconians.
    edited January 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Best scene was the Undine shot coming through the Dyson Sphere doors.... I do not want encounter whatever took that shot.

i would assume whatever could take down a cube in one shot in VOY. Didn't they also take down a planet?
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »

Probably the same kind of weapon that took out all those Borg cubes at the beginning of VOY's "Scorpion".
  • aliensamongusaliensamongus Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Anyone got a Garland Greene vibe from Con Air when you saw Dr. Cooper? :P

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/greene.gif
    giphy.gif
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    anyone managed to get a full list of accolades for this mission yet?

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• bryliggbryligg Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well here's what I've seen, in order:

Don't get burned on approach to the station
    Get Simon right on the first try
    Kill the voth without help
    Fly through all the tunnels in the ev section
    Don't get burned in the sun-shutter room
    Don't let Tuvok get KOed at all
    Don't get hit by the beams in the pit

I only did one playthrough, and those are the ones I remember.
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    - In addition to Koren, a squad of Klingons in the Solanae sphere command room are wearing full versions of the Klingon fleet outfit. Is this some kind of internal joke? It's getting kind of annoying seeing NPCs wearing this but players still can't access it.

That's the crew of the Bortasqu'. We've met them before. And yes, they wear the full Bortasqu' Uniforms.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • ilikeshortsilikeshorts Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bryligg wrote: »
    Well here's what I've seen, in order:

Don't get burned on approach to the station
    Get Simon right on the first try
    Kill the voth without help
    Fly through all the tunnels in the ev section
    Don't get burned in the sun-shutter room
    Don't let Tuvok get KOed at all
    Don't get hit by the beams in the pit

I only did one playthrough, and those are the ones I remember.

You get different accolades for each way of handling the Voth (beams, swarmers, no help). You do -not- get accolades for dying in the beams in the pit (tried it on my second run because of the thing in the Season 8 opener for falling off bridges) or for getting the console puzzle wrong. Nothing I've noticed for scanning things, though you can scan a Voth and fallen officer in the early bits of the station.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I played the mission. My first impression was wow. Excellent mission. The end battle was good. I enjoyed seeing the flag ships of the other factions appear.

There was only one thing that was missing to make this mission completely epic. If during the last battle if your ship warped in to help at the end while you pilot the U.S.S. Dyson. I was half anticipating it.
  • mli777mli777 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is it just me, or is it usually Koren who goes on and on about breaking the alliance?

I think Worf needs to take his adopted daughter on a walk for a very long chat about being hotheaded...
    USS Canada
    N.C.C. 171867
    Sovereign Class
    Saint John Fleet Yard
    "A Mari Usque Ad Mare"
  • alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I thought the mission was well done and well thought out, I really enjoyed this. I hope that the coming missions/expansions build upon what they've done here. With a little work and bit more polish I could find myself subbing for this game again for the first time since launch.
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you look on the map in the 2nd part of the dyson solar station, there's a little area with what looks like a golden room. Two doors that connect to this, but neither of them do anything when the doors are approached. I assume there is some kind of hidden control, but I havent been able to find it yet (and server crashed while I was still looking the 2nd time).

Anybody got a spoiler for this?

On 3rd play through, that side opened. Dunno what I did differrent if anything.

There seems to be a lot of differences as you go through this thing. Two times I've been greeted by the abandoned mech, and 1 time by the assassin, then the suits are different of course, and now the hallways are different.
    edited January 2014
    Just some stuff I noticed in the briefing portion:

1) We finally see the other two members of the ENT-F crew with their crewmates. Poor Kirayoshi and Kyona have been left out of the other appearances (Kirayoshi only being mentioned in SoI and Kyona only having cameos in Facility 4028 and Boldly They Rode).

2) The Rommy Flagship crew! And they have a... DEFERI BOFF!?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Okay. This is what I want out of STO.
    Well done Cryptic. You have my respect for this mission, as for SoI.

Can't wait to see the story to progress.
    Even though I am not yet entirely over the missing bridge between SoI and Season 8.

One thing... why are you disgracing the Romulan Republic even further by stuffing a Deferi on their flagship? :(
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I enjoyed it, but I wish they would have kept him in his classic Voyager uniform, like in all the teasers we got. It has been established in this game that Starfleet has authorized the use of any uniform past or present.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Shon never even showed up in the final battle. Had his Caitian crewman been captain, things would have gone more smoothly XD.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Shon never even showed up in the final battle. Had his Caitian crewman been captain, things would have gone more smoothly XD.

He doesnt show up if your Federation. He showed up on my KDF. I think they give you the oppostie faction Flagships for the mission.

Also its the Enterprise-F. I've read Kestral's bios of them in the magazine. These people are the butt monkeys of the galaxy. Like a proper Enterprise crew. It would have gone worse like having Q show up naked in space and then drop Borg on them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Which issue was then in or could you link me the stories?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm sure SOMEONE mentioned it, but I am too lazy to search and I have to do this mission 4 or 5 more times today but...

Say... isn't that the Captain's Vest variant of the Wrath of Khan Uniform Dr Cooper is wearing?

Can I haz?
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)