test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: A Step Between Stars (Warning: contains spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    aderonzaderonz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I had no issues at all in the mission other then for a moment I got my self stck during the space walk.. and I forgot to activae the suit.. and died as soon as I stepped through the force field...

And I figured out that my equipped Mk XI and MK XII gear will hold me just fine, so next run.. not even going to activate the defences...should be fun.

Well crafted missions... but darn! Ends with a cliff hanger!

Part-II is bound to be interesting... I wonder.. is this going to be the lead up to ending the war between the Federation and the Empire?

well, each defense has its own accolade , not choosing any awards an accolade to , i suspect that this choice affects which EV suit you'll be getting after.
  • Options
    sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Couldn't get it to work. It wouldn't register that I reported to Joint Command. Talked to every NPC in there capable of interaction. Got nothing.
  • Options
    neotanrimneotanrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A mission that multiple people can do in a massively multiplayer online game? Now that's just silly.

Happy anniversary, now go grind alone in your corner.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you look on the map in the 2nd part of the dyson solar station, there's a little area with what looks like a golden room. Two doors that connect to this, but neither of them do anything when the doors are approached. I assume there is some kind of hidden control, but I havent been able to find it yet (and server crashed while I was still looking the 2nd time).

Anybody got a spoiler for this?
  • Options
    durenasdurenas Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Couldn't get it to work. It wouldn't register that I reported to Joint Command. Talked to every NPC in there capable of interaction. Got nothing.

Go to tau dewa. to go the gateway location, click on 'start a step between worlds'.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, to be honest, Cryptic sucks at making FE playable for multiplayer.

While the stupid kill five mob missions they started out with are easy enough to incorporate multiple players all those cutscenes and more complicated dialogs make it simply impractical for multiple players.

just try to play Second Wave with a full team and try to follow the story and not run into any teaming related bugs...
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No...but i had the same hunch....there has to be a secret easter egg somewhere
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    es0archer wrote: »
    I never said the mission wasn't good...at least until I could play it...it is an awesome misson, but I would like to play it with friends...THATS my point.
    I would really like you to point out in my OP where I am saying that the mission is bad.
    You probably read me saying something bad about Cryptic and jumped on me...

Sigh

I haven't tried it with this mission but I know that you can team with other players for other missions and do them together. Have you tried doing that for this one?
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Anybody got a spoiler for this?

It's a room where "the window shields are failing. Hide in the shadow of things and restore power without getting roasted".
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    yes. Which door opens(left or right) appears to be random. On my fed tac officer, the left door opened, to the windowed room. On my kdf engineering officer, the right one opened into a security room which played out a bit like a capture point in the battlezone.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What're you complaining about? Single player got this mission, multiplayer got Shuttle PvP. Something for everyone.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2014
    was in the middle of giving a gun diplomacy lesson to the three ships that came through the door when the server crashed.

That said, what I've played so far, I've really liked. The voice acting with Tuvok is much improved over previous guest spots. Tim Russ made it feel like he wasn't reading the script. Several moments of player vs. environment instead of just "shoot everything" missions (I really liked the room with the failing window shield. Not that hard, but great effects). I didn't have the blackout issues on the spacewalk. I'm sorry others did, because I found that part quite enjoyable when working correctly.

I can really only offer two areas of concern:

1. The room where you can select a defense, then go after the Voth: The boss Voth tried walking into the room and were promptly mauled by the closing door. On the one hand, I was amused. On the other, I couldn't get the door to open, and was forced to restart the whole mission. (must have been the dino mash clogging the gears. eww. :eek: )

2. I'd really wished there was a brief learning lesson for the player when dropped into the special vessel. So many buttons to push, and I only recognized half of them. I ended up fighting the Voth mostly with the buttons I recognized. The others, well, it was more of a "what's this red button do?" kind of thing.

EDIT: forgot to add, I really liked the story on this one. That and Cooper's ability to annoy makes Neelix look quite socially mature in comparison.
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I was midway through the mission when the servers went kaput, but I must say I was very impressed with Tim Russ as a voice actor. I didn't expect it but I gladly welcome it. Maybe its just the tone of the character but it doesn't feel out of place like so many others of the celebrity and non celebrity VOs they use.
  • Options
    jkuang13jkuang13 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    durenas wrote: »
    yes. Which door opens(left or right) appears to be random. On my fed tac officer, the left door opened, to the windowed room. On my kdf engineering officer, the right one opened into a security room which played out a bit like a capture point in the battlezone.

Did you use the same dialogue options for both characters?
    [SIGPIC]Working as intended.[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I managed to play through the mission twice, once with Movar (my Rom[Fed] Tac) and once with Navar (my KDF Orion Tac)..... With Movar in that part it gave me the left path (to the opening shield and solar blast) and with Navar it took me on the right path and fighting off Swarmers while protecting Cooper messing with some console. I don't know if it's tied to KDF/Fed or if it just randomly selects one of hte two paths.... whichever one if gives you, the other one is locked out.
  • Options
    aversa1aversa1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This was easily tons better than the last one, in story in content. i won't be able to give a final judgement for sure until i play it again without lag -_- but it was way more cool and introduced some fun stuff that i was hoping would show up like spacewalking.

I already new the knew fed ship would be ugly looking so......i was a LITTLE disappointed in weapons performance given the onboard setup which isn't terrible but i'll probably give it a look in endgame stuff.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Go to tau dewa. to go the gateway location, click on 'start a step between worlds'.

this is the same issue with the romulan rep. if you don't know to talk to a civilian, how will you know to talk to a civilian?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Similar path then, so it may be tied to faction (Fed/KDF) with Roms getting which faction their alligned with.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Visual of three beams forming one beam followed by a shot. Followed by Tuvok's statement.

Absolutely hilarious.

It is nice to see and hear Tuvok again.

Side note: I noticed that some of the dialogue does not match up with the text. Oh and there is a ghost in the second or third room on the far side the you enter after meeting with Tuvok and the Scientist.

But the mission is very beautiful (the new EV, the Sun environment, The wreckage you navigate around in,etc) and I'm very impressed with Tim Russ's work in this episode. Hope to see more of him. The story is interesting also; however, I'd love to see a bridge episode from endgame to Sphere's of Influence.

The ship...meh on a first play, I was more impressed with the Obelisk.

I was playing it a second time when I was dropped. I'm hoping for a Negative Nelly accolade for selecting all the negative dialogue options. My initial thoughts, I'll add more later, but thanks again for that laugh.
    I noticed that ghost. I also noticed a similar ghost standing on or near the final console in the subspace region of the 'sphere of influence' episode. It is only visible from a distance, it disappears when you get close. spooky. :P
  • Options
    comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I dont remember anyone helping me with the other 50 or so featured episodes they have on the game, why did you think this one would be different?
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    The voice of Cooper is the same as the Undine infiltrator who replaced Sokketh, so is he the same Undine? It'd be funny to think he alone was running around causing all this trouble. Also, I wonder if the Hirogen are still hunting the Undine, they certainly considered them worthy prey before.

doubt that very much, that 8472 beamed up to its ship in orbit and you and a small fleet of fed ships engage and destroy that ship above p'jem. the ship itself can not work without its pilot anyways.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    It's a room where "the window shields are failing. Hide in the shadow of things and restore power without getting roasted".
    jkuang13 wrote: »
    Did you use the same dialogue options for both characters?

in my first play through, i smooth talked cooper into getting into a suit; on the second playthrough i was much harsher(roleplaying a klingon).
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I dont remember anyone helping me with the other 50 or so featured episodes they have on the game, why did you think this one would be different?

lol i didn't.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    in my first play through, i smooth talked cooper into getting into a suit; on the second playthrough i was much harsher(roleplaying a klingon).

I used the same diaglogue in both playthroughs, so dialogue doesn't seem to be an effect. It's either random, or it's tied to faction.
  • Options
    es0archeres0archer Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    vocmcp wrote: »
    I haven't tried it with this mission but I know that you can team with other players for other missions and do them together. Have you tried doing that for this one?

Yes, Of course I did...
    Unlike some companies that dont test their stuff before launching...coff coff craptic...coff coff

I came here with knowledge of the topic at hand...I grouped with 2 of my friends...BEFORE starting the mission...and guess what...we were all in our own instance...

No wonder the server went boom...imagin how many people were doing the SAME mission at the same time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lifetime member.......not proud of it!
  • Options
    es0archeres0archer Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    neotanrim wrote: »
    A mission that multiple people can do in a massively multiplayer online game? Now that's just silly.

Happy anniversary, now go grind alone in your corner.

THIS^^ MAde me giggle...so true!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lifetime member.......not proud of it!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    i'm just sad that i didnt have enough time after to explore the new ship build system :/
  • Options
    zidanetribalzidanetribal Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kyuzos7 wrote: »
    well since the server is down.

how do you get all 3 EV suits?

do you pick one eventually in the mission.

or is it hidden like the Obelisk drones were?

I think one of the dev blogs mentioned that you get a different suit for completing different objectives, I assume in this case it's the objectives from the security room.
  • Options
    pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    May be random.
    First time through the mission first thing in was "scan this battlesuit just in case". There was no captain getting sniped.

I can't tell you about the later half as the first "kill all voth" security room ended up with one mook jumping into the wall, and becoming impossible to fire at directly, nor damage with targeted or point-blank AoEs. So I had to abort.

Then a romulan captain got sniped... and five minutes later I had to abort again.

Then a romulan captain got sniped, I got the burning sun room later on, had to kill the hirogen predator with the sniper rifle, and finished the mission.

I take it the EV suit gained is random, or one different per runthrough, or what? There was certainly no selecting.