test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dc-who? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • thomasp94232thomasp94232 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    though I would suspect that IF Fleet versions are made available, they'll be lacking something that the event one will have (as is the case with, for example, the Avenger, where avoiding the C-store version and buying the Fleet version outright means that you don't get the VATA console).

Actually the anniversary ships have always been "basic" ships if my memory serves me correctly. The Odyssey and the Ambassador ships were inferior to their counterparts in the C-Store and Fleet Store. And I was fine with that when the ships were a reward for a fun mission and not a grind.

I've been here since beta
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    PriorityOne podcast: This time you will have 4 pieces of unique gear for Dyson Destroyer. 3 of them earned in new FE and last one in some daily mission. This was never done before during past anniversary events so the whole way you obtain this ship is ok for me. Deflector will have 3 mods: damage, control and healing.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here:

http://i.imgur.com/2MyXrWt.jpg

(Event reputation has been extended with a 4th project slot)

"Hurfdurf Lets make money off the Anniversary by adding something you can pay Lobi for."

Honestly surprised that the Anniversary ships aren't in Lockboxes at this point.
    Hi Captains,

I wanted to stop by and let you know we've been reading (and will continue to) this thread since it's inception and are considering your feedback -- it's not being fallen deaf ears and we appreciate the passion everyone has around the event and the new ships. Please just remember to keep your feedback constructive, as nonconstructive feedback is harder to consider.

I may have some additional information than this, but here is some more information about the event that I can share now:

• As mentioned, you'll get 400 Qmendations on your first play through of the new FE.
    • The "daily" to get 40 more has taken 2-5 minutes on average during testing, and you either complete one mini-game or another for the daily.
    • The event runs for 28 days (we say 25+ as we also have maintenances, etc.)
    • With only 600 more Qmendations needed, you'll need to complete 15 dailies in those 28 days (around once every other day, or so).

We've got this information and much more planned in upcoming Dev Blogs, so stay tuned and thanks again for your passion and feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I don't know how often we have to say this, but i'll say it again; Grinding = Not fun.

Considering this is a "reward" for the players during STO's 4th Anniversary, if this is what we've got to look forward to throughout 2014, I wouldn't hold out hope for the 5th Anniversary. Players do not like grinds, period. They like time-limited grinds even less. This sort of tosh is what will drive most players away.

This makes (assuming the Winter and Summer Events are coming back this year, and not mentioning any of the other grinds we're probably going to see) three fairly massive time-sinks we're being offered as "gifts". Sad to say, but Grinding for the Risian Corvette drove me away from STO last year. I'd rather not have a repeat of that, since I quite like the game - it's the executive decisions I can't abide by.

Cryptic/PWE makes money from Lockboxes. They make money from Zen store purchases, and Zen. They make money on LTSs, Gold Subs and Legacy/Starter packs. Is it really neccessary for them to try and make money of so-called "free gifts" as well?

If this isn't falling on deaf ears, then changes should be being made before the 4th Anniversary goes live on Thursday. If you're not going to remove the grind, then at the very least, make it 600 Qmendations for the first completion of A Step Between Stars, rather than 400.

Otherwise, it most definetly is falling on deaf ears. Perhaps not yours, but definetly on the Devs.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    So I have read in game and on forums that the new "free ships" for the 4th year event will require you to do a new content featured episode and then run a game of some kind daily 15 times out of 28 days. That makes some of you unhappy. WHY?? They are giving us a ship and more content. What is the deal?!? First we did not sign a contract that says we get free ships every year or in Cryptic case 3 times in a year. But we are getting them. The forums are always posting NO NEW CONTENT!! Hell I want more myself! But when they give us new content.. being a featured episode or a winter/summer event some of you say its grinding bla! Got news for you kids quit being so damn picky and self entitled. Taco dude or Bran frosted flakes whatever wont tell you that but I will.

Look this aint to flame! But guys!! Come on!! We get to do something on the 4th year!!! Not just handed a ship and maybe 4 banners. But we get to do something!! Get to run a episode and also get to play Q games of some kind!!! This is good!! I want more!!

Some of you think the Winter or Risa is grinding?? Then I suggest you do angry birds. Really! Winter event was never about a free ship to me. I enjoyed being transformed into a snow beast. I enjoyed skating and just to skate. Or helping fight snow men!! It was fun!! So was Risa Jet packing!! ---Heck I never use that ship! I played to get it. Just like I used to play basketball. But I did not play for the trophy I played for the fun! If this game lacks fun to you then you need to bail!

Cryptic! This game was started filled with missions and possibilities. It was my first mmo @ age 32 and it is my only mmo now. It was a rough game at the start! But I loved it. Plenty of people have been on this for 4 years. But we need less flash in a pan and more content. Like the Winter events, like Romulas, like the Nimbus and worf and tuvoc. You are doing the correct thing with these and the fleet bases. It would be easy to cave and start giving away ships. No work. But us long term players or at least I will get bored. Keep up the good work!!

at last somone who sees it the way i do, i was begining to think i was unique.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• jkuang13jkuang13 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Unfortunately, the "constructive feedback" they're looking for will be nitpicked from those in favor of this grind. Those who oppose it or even crafted such great posts that reminisce of past anniversary events will be glossed over, and the lack of a response (real or canned) in over 400 posts only lets us know that the chance of a revision to the grind is slim at best.

Before this post gets any more whiny:

Please make the anniversary event the same as the previous ones, where you do a new featured mission with the ship as the reward at the end. The winter/summer events were fun in their own right but they weren't just about the ships, they also had other things to strive for, unlike this proposed anniversary event which only rewards a ship.
    [SIGPIC]Working as intended.[/SIGPIC]
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    While I am totally against the grind and will likely skip the Anniversary ships entirely, especially if the 2-5minute mission is the griefable PvP chasing Q's on SFA mission, I am still content with the anniversary purely because of the Free giveaways we are to get. If we get a T5 ship as part of the giveaway then we have still had what we had in the previous years but in a different format.

To me the 'Anniversary ship' will be whichever T5 ship (Intrepid retrofit hopefully) that we are given on Wednesday.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jkuang13 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the "constructive feedback" they're looking for will be nitpicked from those in favor of this grind. Those who oppose it or even crafted such great posts that reminisce of past anniversary events will be glossed over, and the lack of a response (real or canned) in over 400 posts only lets us know that the chance of a revision to the grind is slim at best.

Before this post gets any more whiny:

Please make the anniversary event the same as the previous ones, where you do a new featured mission with the ship as the reward at the end. The winter/summer events were fun in their own right but they weren't just about the ships, they also had other things to strive for, unlike this proposed anniversary event which only rewards a ship.

I've noticed that cryptic employees like to wear "rose colored" glasses when dealing with the community.. the funny thing is, when you run a business you want to address the issues as much as possible, sure, you acknowledge the good feedback, but you have to stay on top of the bad feedback as well.

being someone who works for his father, and helps run a family business, we spend less time basking in the glory of people who are kissing butt, or constantly saying something is great, and more time trying to fine tune the things that people are having issues with..

further more, as the lead singer in a band, I often get less than steller feedback (not just on voice, but song selection and what not) and we actually pay more attention to the bad feedback to try and better the experience for everyone.

a lot of things cryptic has done in recent memory, has had a lot of bad feeback, not all bad feedback, but from what I have seen, its been pretty split evenly. that is when you have to make compramises, and work towards building something everyone can get on board with... not just a small part of the team.. if cryptic made this their business motto, they would have themselves one hell of a game.
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If Cryptic were a little more smart, they could come and say, guys we heard you, we screwed up, we are going to change this nonsensical, unnecessary grind and we are going to get back to business, selling more fluff, creating new missions and fixing the bugs that have plagued this game for years.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    NI HAO!!!!

I think there's bigger issues here. Remember guys: ST:O is becoming an Eastern-styled MMO weather we like it or not. It's just a matter of time. Prepare for grind, zone-control grind etc etc. It's happening - we're all just dinosaurs - that asteroid is already on it's way.

"Playing As Intended" is your new god.

That said, this is kinda in bad taste if nothing else. We just came out of a super-grind from the winter event. Why now?

Reduce the CD. Make the Q Pics from the Winter event interchangeable (So much for not wanting new currencies!)

There are genuine concerns and genuine, doable fixes suggested in this thread. Haar them now or slowly hear them on the way out. If not now, then eventually.

EDIT: I just saw the pic of the purchasable "Mark Daily Cooldown" tokens. You guys are killing me. Clearly this CD is now part of a plan to sell more TRIBBLE from the Zen store. Happy 4-Year Anniversary, ST:ON-GRIND!!!!
    edited January 2014
    Asian style of game playing does not fit the USA/Europe population, other games have tried and have failed, Cryptic better listen or in few months or years they are going to be in the unemployment line. :mad:
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    I've noticed that cryptic employees like to wear "rose colored" glasses when dealing with the community.. the funny thing is, when you run a business you want to address the issues as much as possible, sure, you acknowledge the good feedback, but you have to stay on top of the bad feedback as well.

being someone who works for his father, and helps run a family business, we spend less time basking in the glory of people who are kissing butt, or constantly saying something is great, and more time trying to fine tune the things that people are having issues with..

further more, as the lead singer in a band, I often get less than steller feedback (not just on voice, but song selection and what not) and we actually pay more attention to the bad feedback to try and better the experience for everyone.

a lot of things cryptic has done in recent memory, has had a lot of bad feeback, not all bad feedback, but from what I have seen, its been pretty split evenly. that is when you have to make compramises, and work towards building something everyone can get on board with... not just a small part of the team.. if cryptic made this their business motto, they would have themselves one hell of a game.

I've heard this scenario called "the monkey house". What that is, is that you've been surrounded by the stink so long that you don't notice it anymore. In terms of creativity, you're surrounded by bad ideas for so long that you don't notice that they are actually bad. Add to that the effect of "group think" and you've got a recipe for a bad game.

All of the grind really needs to go. If they would start by making the foundry an alternative to the primary missions, PvE queue, and other grind fests, they'd have something good. I'm willing to slap-bet* that people would love it if they could use the foundry to level up their captains, grind for rep resources, and so on, all while trying brand new content every day. User generated content is a huge resource that they're letting go to waste just so they can make the grind suck enough to prompt people to buy zen credits but people are wising up to the scam. How long before people start abandoning this game because of the grind? Weeks? Months? I've only been playing since Aug 13' and I'm already burnt out on grind. I rarely log on anymore. I have two unfinished characters and one lvl 50 after I deleted my lvl 50 Sci Romulan.

*Slap-bet, a fictional game from the series "How I Met Your Mother" entailing a wager in which the winner gets to slap the loser in the face as hard as they can.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    If Cryptic were a little more smart, they could come and say, guys we heard you, we screwed up, we are going to change this nonsensical, unnecessary grind and we are going to get back to business, selling more fluff, creating new missions and fixing the bugs that have plagued this game for years.

Wishes, horses, steak, and all that.

It's a real shame. I had hoped that with a new EP, there'd be a new way of doing things at Cryptic.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    donrah wrote: »
    I've heard this scenario called "the monkey house". What that is, is that you've been surrounded by the stink so long that you don't notice it anymore. In terms of creativity, you're surrounded by bad ideas for so long that you don't notice that they are actually bad. Add to that the effect of "group think" and you've got a recipe for a bad game.

All of the grind really needs to go. If they would start by making the foundry an alternative to the primary missions, PvE queue, and other grind fests, they'd have something good. I'm willing to slap-bet* that people would love it if they could use the foundry to level up their captains, grind for rep resources, and so on, all while trying brand new content every day. User generated content is a huge resource that they're letting go to waste just so they can make the grind suck enough to prompt people to buy zen credits but people are wising up to the scam. How long before people start abandoning this game because of the grind? Weeks? Months? I've only been playing since Aug 13' and I'm already burnt out on grind. I rarely log on anymore. I have two unfinished characters and one lvl 50 after I deleted my lvl 50 Sci Romulan.

*Slap-bet, a fictional game from the series "How I Met Your Mother" entailing a wager in which the winner gets to slap the loser in the face as hard as they can.

the best part is that the foundry was supposed to change the game. I remember when for a year they were telling us its their top priority and that it was gonna change the game..

since it has come out, it has not gotten a lot of attention. everytime we get a major patch, its down for a month or more.. and they kind of ignore it.. sure, there is a featured foundry mission, but that's it..
    edited January 2014
    as far as i am concerned cryptic have done more then enough in the give away department with the c-store freebies they did not have to give me anything more then that for my support for their anniversary.
    the fact that they have added this annivesary party event with loads of cool prizes to be earned is just an added bonus and i for one will be enjoying all the party has to offer.

as it is their anniversary, isnt it customary to give a gift to the person whos aniversary it is so tell me, what are you lot all giving to sto & cryptic, other then loads of uncalledfor grief in this forum that is?

edited January 2014
    as far as i am concerned cryptic have done more then enough in the give away department with the c-store freebies they did not have to give me anything more then that for my support for their anniversary.
    the fact that they have added this annivesary party event with loads of cool prizes to be earned is just an added bonus and i for one will be enjoying all the party has to offer.

as it is their anniversary, isnt it customary to give a gift to the person whos aniversary it is so tell me, what are you lot all giving to sto & cryptic, other then loads of uncalledfor grief in this forum that is?

A whole year of support buying stuff in the C-Store with real money, subscriptions, life time memberships. Hmmmmmm, by the way my birthday came and went and Cryptic didn't even say Happy birthday. Cryptic is not our family they are a company, what did they give you for Christmas? Did they invite you for Thanksgiving or the New Year's party? Did they pay your vacations or did they give you a sick day pay?

By the way you know what anniversary they are celebrating/ 4 years of us sticking to them.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I like this train of thought. :D

I don't mind doing a minigames to get the ships. They look really cool. :D AND they have features that are new and fun! :D I mean really... they're BETTER than either of the previous anniversary ships. I mean really.... they're equal to a lot of the Z-store ships.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited January 2014
    This relationship between us and Cryptic is like a bad marriage where the wife refuses to shave her legs and the armpits. Hair everywhere. :eek::D
    edited January 2014
    so tell me, what are you lot all giving to sto & cryptic?

Time and money.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote:
    This relationship between us and Cryptic is like a bad marriage where the wife refuses to shave her legs and the armpits. Hair everywhere.

Unless you're into that sort of thing...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    edited January 2014
    A whole year of support buying stuff in the C-Store with real money, subscriptions, life time memberships. Hmmmmmm, by the way my birthday came and went and Cryptic didn't even say Happy birthday. Cryptic is not our family they are a company, what did they give you for Christmas? Did they invite you for Thanksgiving or the New Year's party? Did they pay your vacations or did they give you a sick day pay?

By the way you know what anniversary they are celebrating/ 4 years of us sticking to them.

as far as i am concerned all the cash purchases you have mentioned are for in game items and were not gifts from you to them of any kind.
    but i suggest you take a look at some other mmo`s specially ones with space in the title and see how much they give away for free from their cash purchase store or as rewards for just playing especially for free to play players.

edited January 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Unless you're into that sort of thing...

CM

Yucks hair fetish? :D :eek: (unless you are Chebacca relative or Big Foot)
    edited January 2014
    as far as i am concerned all the cash purchases you have mentioned are for in game items and were not gifts from you to them of any kind.
    but i suggest you take a look at some other mmo`s specially ones with space in the title and see how much they give away for free from their cash purchase store or as rewards for just playing especially for free to play players.

You know all those stuff are nothing more than digital pixels? Once you hit OFF they puff disappear, they are just smoke and mirrors. Like an online girlfriend. :D
    edited January 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    They know. They just don't care. :) Charging you more and more money supersedes your fun.

Yes. Hence why I keep saying it. Any time that a game's profit margin supercedes it's player's fun is bad news for a company.

I swear, Cryptic (and other games companies) need to employ a guy who looks at everything and says "That's not going to go down well with the players - y'know, the customers" and Developers should definetly listen to that guy.
    You know all those stuff are nothing more than digital pixels? Once you hit OFF they puff disappear, they are just smoke and mirrors. Like an online girlfriend. :D

Or a real girlfriend.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited January 2014
    damix4 wrote: »
    PriorityOne podcast: This time you will have 4 pieces of unique gear for Dyson Destroyer. 3 of them earned in new FE and last one in some daily mission. This was never done before during past anniversary events so the whole way you obtain this ship is ok for me. Deflector will have 3 mods: damage, control and healing.

was listening to episode #157 which I think was the latest, episode for your info please?

edit - apparently its in the new #158 released today checking it out now :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Yes. Hence why I keep saying it. Any time that a game's profit margin supercedes it's player's fun is bad news for a company.

I swear, Cryptic (and other games companies) need to employ a guy who looks at everything and says "That's not going to go down well with the players - y'know, the customers" and Developers should definetly listen to that guy

I have said the same thing for years in many MMOs out there, they think that players are so 1492's mentality that a shinny piece of glass and some maracas will keep them happy.

We are in the 2014 it is time for the developers to NOT assume they know better than the players what the players want. Listen to us and your game will become the best game ever, don LISTEN to us and in 2-5 years you are out of a job.
  • mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nooooooo!!!!!

Well at least this means the free ship is going to be a 10-console competitive one rather than another 9 console "sample" item like the oddy, bortas, ambassador or obelisk.

Not to brag, but I feel perfectly fine with my Wells ship, so I won't feel too compelled to grind for another one.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This relationship between us and Cryptic is like a bad marriage where the wife refuses to shave her legs and the armpits. Hair everywhere. :eek::D

To be more precise, the wife didn't shave her legs or her armpits, she shaved her head instead ! That's a better analogy. And the best part is, is doesn't involve cars in any way. :D
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited January 2014

First, thAn. Not thEn. I understand typos, make them myself, but THREE TIMES?? Makes me wonder if some Chinese PWE executive who has as firm of a grasp on our language as they do on our dislike of the grind is trolling the forums. More likely not, I know. Know why I try to fix my typos? If I can't be bothered to fix the little things, why should anyone else take my post seriously? Not to mention capitalization and punctuation...
    Nahhh.... Most online girlfriends are real...

...guys.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    was listening to episode #157 which I think was the latest, episode for your info please?

edit - apparently its in the new #158 released today checking it out now :D

Yes,hehe, it is a good episode,some new info there :)

http://priorityonepodcast.com/po158/