test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What others have said, plus consider the possibility that there might be fleet versions of said ships since we don't know their official stats yet.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Spending 5 minutes per day for a couple of weeks is free no matter how you look at it.
    So is hitting your head against a wall. Heck, it'll even take you less time.

I've stated numerous times here - it's not the grind that's the biggest issue for me, but what you have to do in terms of that grind. A video game never should seem like work. If the devs don't manage to introduce content that's interesting and fun even after a few replays, then they've failed at their primary task - to deliver a fun experience.

I constantly provide an example of Crystalline Cataclysm, which is how a good event should be made. Not only it's a fun and challenging PvE mission available at two difficulty levels, but also for that event the devs have introduced a random element in the form of anomalies which you don't normally see in Crystalline Catastrophe. Doing CC once per day for a couple of weeks for some rewards was both fun and interesting. Something I cannot say about pointless tasks we usually have to participate in during holiday or anniversary events.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This.

Making quick daily runs is no big deal, as far as I'm concerned.

If somebody has a lot of alts, and don't want to grind them all through the event, simply pick the ones the ships will benefit the most. That's my take anyway.

if this was the only one, or even one of 3 it wouldn't be that bad.. but as it is right now, all of the endgame content is based off of little 5 minute runs here and there. it adds up at the end of the day.. you end up spending an hour or two (which is all some people have) trying to keep up with the power creep..

if all this grinding was for monetary things such as pets, or accolades, or costumes or what not, it wouldn't be a big deal.. but.. 90% of all endgame gear is attached to not just a grind, but an epic grind.. most ships are attached to a grind (fleet especially.) all ground gear is linked to big grinds..

and since the game is one big dps race, there is a high need to have this gear/ships/consoles.. thus making it almost a necessity to do them.. and cryptic feeds off this, not only by making most available via real life cash, but purposely making these grinds as annoying as possible to try to sway people to use the buy out options..
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    if this was the only one, or even one of 3 it wouldn't be that bad.. but as it is right now, all of the endgame content is based off of little 5 minute runs here and there. it adds up at the end of the day.. you end up spending an hour or two (which is all some people have) trying to keep up with the power creep..

if all this grinding was for monetary things such as pets, or accolades, or costumes or what not, it wouldn't be a big deal.. but.. 90% of all endgame gear is attached to not just a grind, but an epic grind.. most ships are attached to a grind (fleet especially.) all ground gear is linked to big grinds..

and since the game is one big dps race, there is a high need to have this gear/ships/consoles.. thus making it almost a necessity to do them.. and cryptic feeds off this, not only by making most available via real life cash, but purposely making these grinds as annoying as possible to try to sway people to use the buy out options..

this ^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    as long as this ship is last version we get im fine but if there be another better version in c store or ship modules i wont even play fe
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    warpet wrote: »
    as long as this ship is last version we get im fine but if there be another better version in c store or ship modules i wont even play fe

imo they will be a fleet one if not a cstore one they are faction ships but i say they will come later unless cryptic says plainly say no other version later i say there will be fleet one or so later bet on it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    imo they will be a fleet one if not a cstore one they are faction ships but i say they will come later unless cryptic says plainly say no other version later i say there will be fleet one or so later bet on it

yeah but no other version costed 100-120 lock boxes like this ship will
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gurluas wrote: »
    I have and they're actually quite fun, but the reward is next to useless.
    If exploration clusters rewarded marks and Dilithium, now that'd be cute.
    There's a daily mission from Lt Grall that gives you Dil for exploring 3.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014

and why this hole thread is here like i said unless cryptic says no other version you can bet they will be a fleet one unless this one gets upgraded to fleet status
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Only if you don't do the daily.... ever.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    So is hitting your head against a wall. Heck, it'll even take you less time.

I've stated numerous times here - it's not the grind that's the biggest issue for me, but what you have to do in terms of that grind. A video game never should seem like work. If the devs don't manage to introduce content that's interesting and fun even after a few replays, then they've failed at their primary task - to deliver a fun experience.

Pretty much this. If we had to spend 2 weeks doing a 15-mission arc where you could only complete 1 mission a day, but they were all different and had even a mediocre story, everyone would be super excited.

It's not that we have to grind weeks for our "gift" (which is stupid imo), but the primary problem is we're doing something dumb and tedious for it.

You know what the instant solution to this is?

Have us play a foundry mission each day for our Qmendations.

Not only do you solve the problem of it being a tedious grind, you also encourage people to play foundry missions. Kill two birds with one stone.

Come on Cryptic, it's not that hard.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I bet this would bring down the aggrevation of this silly decision they made.
    The grind is bad on itself, but doing something stupid like chasing mini Qs over and over makes it a million times worse.

Although if something is suposed to be a gift, you don't ask for anything from the one that receives it.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    but doing something stupid like chasing mini Qs over and over makes it a million times worse.

doing something like that shows me this game getting to mediocre sorry to the dev that made it but this sounds like something from a facebook game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    lirokailirokai Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I didn't realize they were adding something to skip the grind to the C-Store. Guess I'm done. Just unsubscribed.

I'm sure the numbers and metrics were up for them during the Winter Event, and I put my time in on my characters, but obviously they don't understand grind fatigue or burnout. I barely got mine in with real life intruding often, and sometimes I could spend more than a few hours at a sitting, but it was hard to make sure I was in daily.

Cryptic, your idea of 'free' and 'gift' is starting to stray into politician-level stretches. It's one thing to say 'contribute x marks for Qmendations' and let us get the marks however we'd like, but to actually present hoops we have to jump through daily (literally, fly through during the summer event)...now I just feel like a circus animal (with money) being trained daily or a lab rat learning to push a button for a reward.

Thanks for taking us to that point. :mad:
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd suggest doing the daily every day you can before you spend the lobi. Only spend lobi if you find that by the end of the event you are just a day or two short of completing the event.
  • Options
    donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, the grind is a punishment for not paying. So, I'll be taking a break from STO for a while. I recommend others do as well if you wish to make a statement to Cryptic that we will not grind anymore. Tell your friends and fleet mates to take a few weeks off from STO.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Pretty much this. If we had to spend 2 weeks doing a 15-mission arc where you could only complete 1 mission a day, but they were all different and had even a mediocre story, everyone would be super excited.

It's not that we have to grind weeks for our "gift" (which is stupid imo), but the primary problem is we're doing something dumb and tedious for it.

Not only do you solve the problem of it being a tedious grind, you also encourage people to play foundry missions. Kill two birds with one stone.

Come on Cryptic, it's not that hard.

This is a wonderful idea, adding foundry missions to the list of how you can earn the new ship.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    This is a wonderful idea, adding foundry missions to the list of how you can earn the new ship.

the only thing with this is making sure they take into account that your average foundry mission is around an hour or more.. so asking you to do say 16 of those could hurt a little as well.. a balance would have to be found.. but I do like the idea..
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, 100 Lobi is about 20 boxes worth, and if it follows the Holiday Box rates, a box contains 2 such, so it will save you...ONE DAY. Huzzah.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I said this in a different post recently so I'll keep it short here, but am I the only one looking at the functions of this new destroyer and think that the veteran/life sub ships did this first (except without the secondary deflector)?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    sudonami wrote: »
    I said this in a different post recently so I'll keep it short here, but am I the only one looking at the functions of this new destroyer and think that the veteran/life sub ships did this first (except without the secondary deflector)?

funny thing is, bran was all about telling us we haven't seen anything like this ingame before.. and when I checked it out I was like, ummm, yes we have.. lol.. (minus the double deflector, which it sounds like your losing a console slot to have..) so its kinda the same..
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    funny thing is, bran was all about telling us we haven't seen anything like this ingame before.. and when I checked it out I was like, ummm, yes we have.. lol.. (minus the double deflector, which it sounds like your losing a console slot to have..) so its kinda the same..

Lol, trading a console for another deflector. I would trade the one deflector I have for another console.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    Lol, trading a console for another deflector. I would trade the one deflector I have for another console.:rolleyes:

yeah, that's why this "extra special" ship is looking to be average the more I look at it.. (by average I mean in line with t5.5 ships..
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode

is that per account or per character???
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    yeah, that's why this "extra special" ship is looking to be average the more I look at it.. (by average I mean in line with t5.5 ships..

if you ask me its just a reuse of the Vet ships with a new skin and this second deflector dish witch does any one know if it even stacks?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    kintisho wrote: »
    You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode

is that per account or per character???

most likely per toon as the ship will be per toon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the only thing with this is making sure they take into account that your average foundry mission is around an hour or more.. so asking you to do say 16 of those could hurt a little as well.. a balance would have to be found.. but I do like the idea..
    daan2006 wrote: »
    if you ask me its just a reuse of the Vet ships with a new skin and this second deflector dish witch does any one know if it even stacks?

Then does that mean they are giving the vet ships away for free basically? Cause i am not ok with that. They payed a lot for the vet perks and to support the game.