test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is a wonderful idea, adding foundry missions to the list of how you can earn the new ship.

the only thing with this is making sure they take into account that your average foundry mission is around an hour or more.. so asking you to do say 16 of those could hurt a little as well.. a balance would have to be found.. but I do like the idea..
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, 100 Lobi is about 20 boxes worth, and if it follows the Holiday Box rates, a box contains 2 such, so it will save you...ONE DAY. Huzzah.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sudonamisudonami Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I said this in a different post recently so I'll keep it short here, but am I the only one looking at the functions of this new destroyer and think that the veteran/life sub ships did this first (except without the secondary deflector)?
    edited January 2014
    sudonami wrote: »
    I said this in a different post recently so I'll keep it short here, but am I the only one looking at the functions of this new destroyer and think that the veteran/life sub ships did this first (except without the secondary deflector)?

funny thing is, bran was all about telling us we haven't seen anything like this ingame before.. and when I checked it out I was like, ummm, yes we have.. lol.. (minus the double deflector, which it sounds like your losing a console slot to have..) so its kinda the same..
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    funny thing is, bran was all about telling us we haven't seen anything like this ingame before.. and when I checked it out I was like, ummm, yes we have.. lol.. (minus the double deflector, which it sounds like your losing a console slot to have..) so its kinda the same..

Lol, trading a console for another deflector. I would trade the one deflector I have for another console.:rolleyes:
    edited January 2014
    noblet wrote: »
    Lol, trading a console for another deflector. I would trade the one deflector I have for another console.:rolleyes:

yeah, that's why this "extra special" ship is looking to be average the more I look at it.. (by average I mean in line with t5.5 ships..
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode

is that per account or per character???
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    yeah, that's why this "extra special" ship is looking to be average the more I look at it.. (by average I mean in line with t5.5 ships..

if you ask me its just a reuse of the Vet ships with a new skin and this second deflector dish witch does any one know if it even stacks?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited January 2014
    kintisho wrote: »
    You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode

is that per account or per character???

most likely per toon as the ship will be per toon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited January 2014
    the only thing with this is making sure they take into account that your average foundry mission is around an hour or more.. so asking you to do say 16 of those could hurt a little as well.. a balance would have to be found.. but I do like the idea..
    daan2006 wrote: »
    if you ask me its just a reuse of the Vet ships with a new skin and this second deflector dish witch does any one know if it even stacks?

Then does that mean they are giving the vet ships away for free basically? Cause i am not ok with that. They payed a lot for the vet perks and to support the game.
    edited January 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »

the way stuff has been worded up to now, it sounds like youll have a primary deflector, and secondary, and youll only be able to use secondary deflectors in that spot.. so for instance, I don't think you can use say the borg deflector dish, and the maco..

at least that's what its looking like, however, nothing I have speculated about above is confirmed.. just what we saw in the dev blog, and the wording bran has used.. and common sense.. lol...
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    2nd deflector has been a sci-ship upgrade wish for awhile now. hopefully it allows you to activate two 2-piece set powers from your gear.

yay, 1000 posts here now, lol
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
    edited January 2014
    Then does that mean they are giving the vet ships away for free basically? Cause i am not ok with that. They payed a lot for the vet perks and to support the game.

basically, however, the skin and material will stay unique to the vet ship.. which is still a bumb deal... to be honest, the more I hear about this ship, the more im seeing a lazy "kitbash" of an existing layout going on.. sure it takes time to balance the second deflector thing.. but to call this ship unique, and never before seen was a little over the top I think...

I never thought to think of how this devalues the vet ship.. good call...
    edited January 2014
    2nd deflector has been a sci-ship upgrade wish for awhile now. hopefully it allows you to activate two 2-piece set powers from your gear.

yay, 1000 posts here now, lol

trust me, it wont.. that would be a little op.. remember they have to keep it balanced..

and again, like I said a few posts ago, the wording is secondary deflector, so I would assume that they are releasing a new deflector type for that slot..
    edited January 2014
    trust me, it wont.. that would be a little op.. remember they have to keep it balanced..

and again, like I said a few posts ago, the wording is secondary deflector, so I would assume that they are releasing a new deflector type for that slot..

something tells me what ever mode you are in is what dish will be used in that mode
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So I have read in game and on forums that the new "free ships" for the 4th year event will require you to do a new content featured episode and then run a game of some kind daily 15 times out of 28 days. That makes some of you unhappy. WHY?? They are giving us a ship and more content. What is the deal?!? First we did not sign a contract that says we get free ships every year or in Cryptic case 3 times in a year. But we are getting them. The forums are always posting NO NEW CONTENT!! Hell I want more myself! But when they give us new content.. being a featured episode or a winter/summer event some of you say its grinding bla! Got news for you kids quit being so damn picky and self entitled. Taco dude or Bran frosted flakes whatever wont tell you that but I will.

Look this aint to flame! But guys!! Come on!! We get to do something on the 4th year!!! Not just handed a ship and maybe 4 banners. But we get to do something!! Get to run a episode and also get to play Q games of some kind!!! This is good!! I want more!!

Some of you think the Winter or Risa is grinding?? Then I suggest you do angry birds. Really! Winter event was never about a free ship to me. I enjoyed being transformed into a snow beast. I enjoyed skating and just to skate. Or helping fight snow men!! It was fun!! So was Risa Jet packing!! ---Heck I never use that ship! I played to get it. Just like I used to play basketball. But I did not play for the trophy I played for the fun! If this game lacks fun to you then you need to bail!

Cryptic! This game was started filled with missions and possibilities. It was my first mmo @ age 32 and it is my only mmo now. It was a rough game at the start! But I loved it. Plenty of people have been on this for 4 years. But we need less flash in a pan and more content. Like the Winter events, like Romulas, like the Nimbus and worf and tuvoc. You are doing the correct thing with these and the fleet bases. It would be easy to cave and start giving away ships. No work. But us long term players or at least I will get bored. Keep up the good work!!
    edited January 2014
    basically, however, the skin and material will stay unique to the vet ship.. which is still a bumb deal... to be honest, the more I hear about this ship, the more im seeing a lazy "kitbash" of an existing layout going on.. sure it takes time to balance the second deflector thing.. but to call this ship unique, and never before seen was a little over the top I think...

I never thought to think of how this devalues the vet ship.. good call...

well seeing your tag showing you as a life sub, it makes sense. i to am a life sub (only 400 day but willing to pay the price for a great game). Now it might just be nothing but i had to try and point it out.

Still going to get the new ship because it's free and why not.
    edited January 2014
    sorry but mini Q really.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited January 2014
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    So I have read in game and on forums that the new "free ships" for the 4th year event will require you to do a new content featured episode and then run a game of some kind daily 15 times out of 28 days. That makes some of you unhappy. WHY?? They are giving us a ship and more content. What is the deal?!? First we did not sign a contract that says we get free ships every year or in Cryptic case 3 times in a year. But we are getting them. The forums are always posting NO NEW CONTENT!! Hell I want more myself! But when they give us new content.. being a featured episode or a winter/summer event some of you say its grinding bla! Got news for you kids quit being so damn picky and self entitled. Taco dude or Bran frosted flakes whatever wont tell you that but I will.

Look this aint to flame! But guys!! Come on!! We get to do something on the 4th year!!! Not just handed a ship and maybe 4 banners. But we get to do something!! Get to run a episode and also get to play Q games of some kind!!! This is good!! I want more!!

Some of you think the Winter or Risa is grinding?? Then I suggest you do angry birds. Really! Winter event was never about a free ship to me. I enjoyed being transformed into a snow beast. I enjoyed skating and just to skate. Or helping fight snow men!! It was fun!! So was Risa Jet packing!! ---Heck I never use that ship! I played to get it. Just like I used to play basketball. But I did not play for the trophy I played for the fun! If this game lacks fun to you then you need to bail!

Cryptic! This game was started filled with missions and possibilities. It was my first mmo @ age 32 and it is my only mmo now. It was a rough game at the start! But I loved it. Plenty of people have been on this for 4 years. But we need less flash in a pan and more content. Like the Winter events, like Romulas, like the Nimbus and worf and tuvoc. You are doing the correct thing with these and the fleet bases. It would be easy to cave and start giving away ships. No work. But us long term players or at least I will get bored. Keep up the good work!!

Very well said and understandable sir, but i can explain why the forums always ask for no more new content in two words: Bug Fixes

Don't get me wrong, i am looking forward to the new ships. i like free things, and a giveaway for the three days before! i am happy with all this.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Look at last year. You did 1 cool mission (or 2-3 times if you want all the accolades) and got an Ambassador. Or just recently you did the cool Worf mission and got a Obelisk carrier (or 2-3 times for all the gear/accolades).

But now you gotta do 1 hopefully cool mission for 400 thingamabobs, then a probably unfun mission 15 times (guaranteed unfun after 5-6 repeats) for the other 600 thingamabobs. And this just days after we just finished the WW race for autographs that has the same grind methodology mechanics.
    Very well said and understandable sir, but i can explain why the forums always ask for no more new content in two words: Bug Fixes

God, yes. I would love to see "Season ##: The Bugs Get Fixed"
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited January 2014

This could be good thing. They could implement some cool combinations on secondary deflector.. Like increased % of exotic damage, sci power cooldown reductions and other bonuses that would really make sci ships best for sci powers.
    edited January 2014

im just gonna guess that you read a few posts and didn't get the meat and potatoes of this thread.. yes some people want stuff for nothing all the time.. and whatevs..

however, the complaint that is being said by 90 percent of this thread is that the anniversary event was always a thank you.. it is the one time that not only have they given us a gift no strings attached, but they should.. we grind, pay, and play all year, this is the time for the to pat us on the back, give us content that is more like a featured episode (which most like better than cheap quick repeatable content), and we get a ship and some other goodies at the end..

this happens once a year, while the grind in the game is an issue, we are focusing on the anniversary event.. they arnt doing this to pat us on the back, they are doing in hopes more than half of us are gonna be so fed up with the grind, and pay to either quicken it up (with their new cool down reset token) or by purchasing lobi.. so in essence, the anniversary event has been tainted..

we have always had to do missions to get the ship before, but it is a one day affair, and limited to the event time.. it wasn't a commitment of yet another 2-3 weeks of grinding.. im not saying get rid of the tuvok stuff, but more im saying get rid of the grind afterword..

I am a lifetime subscriber, I have never not opened my wallet when something I liked hit the c store, and I have (reluctantly) worked the endgame grind to stay competitive, and to unlock all the stuff that I wanted.. I am someone who has "worked" very hard to stay on top in this game, and have never stepped away from it..

but enouph is enouph man.. they turned the one thing that happens once a year into a grind, and ruined it for most (not all, but most, if this thread is any indication of that).

a lot of us enjoyed the same things about the events you did, but doing the same thing every day over and over and over, gets old, and crappy after a while.. I get where your coming from, but you have to be able to see where the vets of the game who have been through the same old same old for so long are coming from...

just cause a few people don't think there is a problem, doesn't mean there is not a problem...
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Well people are kinda tired off grinding especially after the Winter Event. It's basically Cryptic saying "Happy Anniversary, now enjoy another boring megagrind!" And I don't think that people who want more content are "self-entitled" or "kids". IMO I think people are just getting fed up. And at 42 years of age I'm not a kid. Well at heart I am.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    edited January 2014
    darakoss wrote: »
    Well people are kinda tired off grinding especially after the Winter Event. It's basically Cryptic saying "Happy Anniversary, now enjoy another boring megagrind!" And I don't think that people who want more content are "self-entitled" or "kids". IMO I think people are just getting fed up. And at 42 years of age I'm not a kid. Well at heart I am.

yes, I am 32, literally the only reason I am still playing is because its star trek.. I have quit every other cryptic game lol.. I want this game to succeed cause I am a star trek nut (know way too much about it, if I only I knew that much about things that mattered lol)..

but one thing I always try to tell peeps is that while the forums don't perfectly dictate the whole player base's point of view, you can look at the patterns, and it wont be too far off of how the people who don't use the forums feel.. and this thread is overwhelmingly against these changes, and the grind. so I hope cryptic takes a look and sees that they need to tone it back, or make some changes sooner rather than later..

I honestly think this is why stahl moved on to another project.. cause he was a huge star trek nut, and I think he wanted to be here, but I think he is sick of seeing it be morphed into an eastern mmo, and pissing off all the fans..
  • terongrayterongray Member Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This harkens back to the massive storm of 'paranoia' that occurred when PWE was announced as Cryptic Studio's buyer. People were fearful of seeing the game turned into yet another Eastern Grinder MMO. We were given assurances that it wouldn't, and at first, things were left alone; albeit with a bit of a content drought. Then the changes gradually came; changes to missions which gave too good rewards (PvP dailies, Tour the Universe, etc), the Starbase system (massive ground-grinds and sinks), the Rep System revamp (More grinds and sinks), the Summer and Winter Events... Now the Anniversary Event has shown to not be immune, but that was the critical mistake.

We as the players have been the frog in the pot, as the temperature slowly has climbed. It's been so gradual, we've been ignorant of the changes, that 'the water has been growing hot'. But someone screwed up, and turned the dial up a bit too quickly; and we've noticed.

Enough is enough, we understand the need to make money and keep the game alive, but this is becoming ludicrous. Grinding to unlock the anniversary 'gift', completely free as long as you run in your wheel enough times, or shell out money to speed it up. This is not how a good game is made, nor how a studio which really cares about its players and/or IP should approach it.

Give us content worth investing towards. Offer more costumes, more cool ships, and other things, in the C-Store. But leave things like the Anniversary alone, don't corrupt it into yet another way to try to extort money from players tired of a grind. Treat us like your life-blood, as we are; not like dumb cattle you can milk for all we're worth.

Or you may not have a 5th Anniversary to celebrate.
  • tormirtormir Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That seems a bit much, 15 days in a specified month you must run the treadmill or get nothing.
  • tormirtormir Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    yes, but you could complete the 2cnd year in a day, in one sitting, in one mission..

you could get the ambassador in one mission, one day, one sitting.. and the mission was designed more for story, than the grind.. I bet the mission (s) youll have to do 15 times is pretty lame.. as is all the super grind repeater missions..

If anyone cares, it was the ambassador ship and mission that got me to start playing again and soon after buy the lifetime membership.

Just saying.
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    To be honest, I have a hard time calling a repeatable 5-15 minute mission content. The FE and any new areas, sure. The repeatable things? Not really.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The central issue with the Anniversary "Grind-like" Event is that the Anniversary has always been a time to appreciate the commitment to the game and the hard work of the devs. The Anniversary was symbolized by a nice Trek episode mission like 2-year introduction of the new Enterprise ship design and 3-year nostalgia look back at the iconic Ambassador class introduced in the time paradox episode from TNG (and a little play on the alternate universe scenario seen in TOS and ENT). The central part was the story and not the side events (like the Q-Party gathering), and it was not just another grind event like WW and Risa (which I both enjoyed, despite the repetitiveness of the races). This change has both ruined the uniqueness of the Anniversary and made some side event a center piece of the Anniversary.

Another question is about what will happen to the ship after the Anniversary. The Odyssey/Bortas became the 3-ship set in C-store and the Ambassador/Kamarag became the progression ship and Fleet ship. Both were made permanent parts of the fleet acquisition. If this is done for the Dysonized-faction ships (which seems appropriate... and profitable for STO/Cryptic) then why tie them to a meaningless grind. The WW and Risa events are unique and non-factioned ship that are more for show (though I do us my Chel as a primary), so the grind is expected for them, but these Anniversary ships are part of the faction and don't need a "grind event" attached to them. Just play the core mission and let the players walk away with a smile and a positive attitude about STO/Cryptic. ;)

p.s. and I made no comment about the monetized short-cut for the time-gating....
  • jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well I guess that's where some of you lose me. Where you see grind I see a fun game that I'm happy with. I don't see grind in this game. Until you all started posting it I did not know what grind was . I'm the " fun" q guy in the stf channels. I run HGE and other less run STF's daily. Not for gear! Hell my landing party as well as a bunch other Bo's all have adapted maco sets. I just run it because it's fun! I enjoy playing it and see no grind just content I enjoy to play.

Look guys reality check. What you call grind is the model and always will be the model of this mmo. It is also the model of other mmo games like dcuniverse. They don't have the man power to put out new content every week or day. Sometimes I think they have to long of a upgrade process on the bases but beyond that I love working towards my armor or my base. I find doing it as fun and not a grind.