Options

Proper Romulan FLAGSHIP

Comments

• Options
    umiharayuuumiharayuu Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    feiqa wrote: »
    Just to throw in my two cents.
    As for a proper flagship. . . Distancing yourself from the madman that built the ship, the now borg leader that flew one. And the reviled self proclaimed empress seems a good goal. The Scimitar can have a place in the fleet, just not carrying the flag.

Technically, in Nemesis, the Scimitar was the flag ship since Shinzon, though briefly, was Praetor. STO is years passed this so one of the new ships make since as the Scimitar design is aged by then.
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Incidentally, the Romulan Republic flagship is a Falchion, not a Scimitar. IIRC it's supposed to be a Republic-built variant on the Scimitar.

Not that you can really tell the difference.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the ha'apax should be the flag ship, and they should correct that error they made by making its ENS station tactical instead of universal and the advanced version would be exactly on par with the odyssey. maybe people would be more inclined to use it then, right now no one opts for it over any other retrofit.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    So a free ship that have no real features outside being a costume for the real deal (Haakona) should be the flagship?

Maybe the Klingon Flagship should be a Qin Raptor ...

compare the advanced version with the 3 pack ody, and you will see that just about the only difference is the not universal ENS. it most exactly fits the flagship mold, if the ody is any example. not to mention its the newest large romulan cruiser. things this obvious should not need explaining
  • Options
    joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bunansa wrote: »
    Honestly cheesy copout using that POS reman ship as OUR flagship

For the 4th year anniversary, I would like to see a Romulan Designed FLAGSHIP

both the kdf and feds got it previous year, so I want our FRACTION to receive the same love

When you go to the Flotilla, what is the ship you dock with? That is the Flagship, and it isn't named after a Human sword. The Scimitar and it's siblings are not the flagships, they are just ships available to rich Romulan Republic "Captains".
  • Options
    sovakofvulcansovakofvulcan Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not That anyone wants a cannon reference, but

"The flagship was identified as being the D'ridthau in an early draft of "What You Leave Behind". Later revisions would remove the name from the script and the name survived only in the pronunciation guide of the episode. However, in the novelization of the episode, the name of the flagship was retained and mentioned by Admiral Ross. The D'ridthau may have been of the D'deridex-class, which was the only Romulan starship class visible, or an entirely unknown class altogether." -- Making of DS9 What You Leave Behind
    Admiral Jisil T'ror
    Admiral Sovak
    “Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers...”
  • Options
    roddy229roddy229 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    I think the Scimitar is perfect for the Romulan's flagship :) Why? Well, for the reasons stated earlier in this thread (paraphrased):

"It's not a Romulan ship."
    "The flagship is not just a ship, it's a symbol."

You're all quite right in that it's not a Romulan-designed ship; it's Reman (also Human by technicality). And it's also right that previous Scimitars have oppressed the Empire... but ultimately, it doesn't matter imo.

As a flagship of the Romulan Republic, it's a symbol that Romulans and Remans are now working together, to make a future for themselves and overturn previous stereotypes. And the Scimitar has everything needed to fight for all that, including power. It may be an 'aging' vessel design, but that shouldn't stop it from receiving that honor.

Plus yeah, any bigger and there'll be problems in Sector Space lol :D

Agreed. The scimitar is a beast of a ship, despite it's supposed age within the republic, or imperial fleets. They're big, mean, and when properly kitted up, a blast to fly. Sela's flagship was basically a stock config, but Donatra's was absolutely wicked after it was modified. If the devs do bring out a new flagship for the romulans, I'll give it a look, but likely stick with my scimitar
    Vice Admiral Thylek Shran- U.S.S. Omega (Odyssey Class Battleship) United Federation Space Command
    Vice Admiral T'vix RRW Talon (Scimitar Drednought)
    General S'tal IKS Q'vat (Bortasq' Battle Cruiser)
  • Options
    roddy229roddy229 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Besides, it's funny scaring noobs when you fly up and decloak a scimitar right in front of them
    Vice Admiral Thylek Shran- U.S.S. Omega (Odyssey Class Battleship) United Federation Space Command
    Vice Admiral T'vix RRW Talon (Scimitar Drednought)
    General S'tal IKS Q'vat (Bortasq' Battle Cruiser)
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Even so, considering the only ships to come out of the RR are the Ar'kif and the Ar'kala, the flag should be one those.

Not true. The entire Ha' series is RR only.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It depends on how you are looking.

People believe that Romulans are now Vulcans, the Romulan Republic is not about picking flowers and hugging trees and pet Epohhs in New Romulus, there is the strange notion the Romulan Republic is some kind of pacifists.

They arent.

D'tan might be a reunificanist but even he doesnt think they should just hike a transport to Vulcan, Unification means also Vulcans having to accept Romulans that have diferent culture and thats just the Reunification movement, other Romulans are there for their own reasons and lets not even talk about the Remans because Obisek is very different that D'tan.

The Scimitar is not a symbol of the Romulan Empire because its not as symbolic as the D'deridex, the Scimitar is not even a entirely Romulan design and when a Reman looks at the Scimitar he is looking at Shinzon legacy and the Remans DO have a lot to be thankful to him.

What I see is people trying to make the Romulan Republic what is not and Cryptic does shares a lot of blame by trying to make the Rebel Alliance, its NOT and cannot be because their situation is different.

The only argument I can see leveled against the Scimitar is that the design is aging but it still puts up against the newest Federation and Klingon designs.
    While I agree on almost everything you said, I disagree on the conclusion.

I think the Scimitar shouldn't be the flagship. Why ? As you say, it's a reman ship, not romulan at all. The Republic is about cooperation, between Reman/Romulan, and even others. They try to show the other Romulan they are stronger than ever when united. The Scimitar was build by Reman to overthrow the Romulan, and destroy the Federation. To have a revenge. It was not meant as a way to unite them.

I think the Flagship should be a symbol of unification (between rom and reman that is, not Vulcan). A Reman/Romulan hybrid ship. And maybe with some new tech, from Suliban or KDF/Fed. A complete new design.

Also, a new ship would be more in line with the other factions, and it would prove the Republic don't need the old Empire to exist. They can have new ships, and guess what ? They are at least as good as the old ones. The need to prove they are still a major power is important to the Republic, and having decades old ship stolen from some old shipyard is not a good way to prove that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just got my scim...but okay *sob*
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    stoutes wrote: »
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I did a thing in MSPaint: This is that thing. It's the vaguest of vagueries that pops into my head when I think "Republic Flagship". Note the tailfin petship that sorta shapeshifts into a little baby T'varo with wings swept back.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The Ha'apax is not the Haakona and you typed Ha'apax, not Haakona.
    the ha'apax should be the flag ship, and they should correct that error they made by making its ENS station tactical instead of universal and the advanced version would be exactly on par with the odyssey. maybe people would be more inclined to use it then, right now no one opts for it over any other retrofit.

well, the fleet version of the advanced at least. advanced as in whatever you call the c store version of the ship, with the additional costume and the universal LTC.
    No, lets not because you are saying some kind of separation mode is necessary for the Flagship to be a Flagship.

The Flagship of the Dominion was a Jem'Hadar Battleship (Dreadnought Carrier).

were did anyone bring up some separation ability being a mandate? thats a coincidence. the dominion are not a playable faction, the kdf and federation flagship cruisers are 1 ENS uni away from being basically the same as a fleet ha'apax
    Except it isnt.

To start Romulans have Warbirds, not Cruisers because they dont get Cruiser Commands and also the Haakona is a Imperial Romulan Design, newest Warbird is the Ak'fir.

I say this because the Romulan ships (not counting Temporal) that cannot use the I.R.W. prefix are the Ak'fir and the Daeinos since they are Republic designs.

Its hard to make a claim its the newest because no dates are give, the D'ridthau might be newer and of course we do have the Scimitar Varients that throw the whole argument in a ditch.

Scimitar is a 3-pack, 10 consoles ships with a BO layout that is nearly exact the same as the Odyssey and Bortas (just swamping Eng for Tac), its in line with the Flagships in terms of stats as the Haakona is not.

anything with a com eng is a cruiser, be it a warbird cruiser, dreadnought cruiser, whatever. and i said newest LARGE cruiser, the akfir is mid sized as far as warbirds go, and with its commander tactical, NOT a cruiser at all.

how recently it was made, in its description its is described as "the latest developments in Romulan technology". as far as it not being republic in origin, the game seems to act like it is. its one of the republic specific ships in the azure rescue, and the npc only appears in republic npc groups, and never star empire npc groups. its clearly the flagship of the flotilla too. it seems at least as republic as any scimitar variant. the scimitars stats are about as close as you can get to the opposite of what the other flagships have, the only thing they have in common is that they are from 3 packs.

the point i was trying to make was that they mishandled the fleet ha'apax/Haakona into this 90% just like the ody and bortas flagship cruiser thing, leaving it just short of their stranded, wile at the same time leaving no room for a romie stat clone of the other 2 flagship 3 pack, 1 pack, whatever. if you compare the Haakona to the free ody and bortas, it has the tac ens were the other 2 have a sci or eng ens, the problem is the fleet level ship missing the universal ENS like the 3 pack ships have. the scimitar is out of left field, its got more to do with the veteran ships then the other cruiser based flagships.

if they tried to make some new flag ship now, it will be an even bigger, slowest turning cruiser and would proboly be a bigger failure then the boras was. so they should just give the fleet ha'apax its ENS universal so it has the true flagship station setup, and be in the same position for the romulans that the ody and bortas is to the fed and kdf.

of make new scimitar clone flagship dreadnought things for the kdf and fed, and make that the new stranded :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Think some missed the point...

3rd year anniversary gave feds and kdf a "flag ship"

with the ability to also obtain said same one through shipyard tier 5

The scimitar sadly is neither ROMULAN nor part of this set up in the game

Romulan designs for ROMULANS

im happy for the scimitar and its owners but we do need our own actual "flag ship"
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not true. The entire Ha' series is RR only.

Source.

The Ha series were the last ships to come out of the RSE....or so I thought.

...In fact, the separation tech is from the Prometheus, which was briefly studied by the RSE, not the RR.....
    No where on the wiki page does it say it is RR AND it does compare its design to the mogai and the DD which are also RSE ships.....

Thus the only RR ships are the Arkif and Arkala. Those are the only RR ships and one of those should the flagship until a real RR flagship is built.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    While I agree on almost everything you said, I disagree on the conclusion.

I think the Scimitar shouldn't be the flagship. Why ? As you say, it's a reman ship, not romulan at all. The Republic is about cooperation, between Reman/Romulan, and even others. They try to show the other Romulan they are stronger than ever when united. The Scimitar was build by Reman to overthrow the Romulan, and destroy the Federation. To have a revenge. It was not meant as a way to unite them.
    The Republic is also trying to overthrow previous stereotypes. What better way to do that than with a ship that was built solely to destroy?

The Scimitar has an evil history, true, but now it's being used for far more constructive and noble purposes. Which only proves their point that much more imo
    Think some missed the point...

3rd year anniversary gave feds and kdf a "flag ship"

with the ability to also obtain said same one through shipyard tier 5

The scimitar sadly is neither ROMULAN nor part of this set up in the game

Romulan designs for ROMULANS

im happy for the scimitar and its owners but we do need our own actual "flag ship"
    The thing is, there is no requirement that the Romulan flagship HAS to be of Romulan design. Not to mention, it's mentioned directly in 'Sphere of Influence' that the R.R.W. Lleiset is the flagship.

Meaning it's over and done with.

And on a side note, not 'part of this set up?' :confused:
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the D7 of "The Enterprise Incident" was Flagship of the group yet it had a Commander (Captain)

Maybe a Fleet Captain?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    The Republic is also trying to overthrow previous stereotypes. What better way to do that than with a ship that was built solely to destroy?

The Scimitar has an evil history, true, but now it's being used for far more constructive and noble purposes. Which only proves their point that much more imo

The thing is, there is no requirement that the Romulan flagship HAS to be of Romulan design. Not to mention, it's mentioned directly in 'Sphere of Influence' that the R.R.W. Lleiset is the flagship.

Meaning it's over and done with.

And on a side note, not 'part of this set up?' :confused:

Over when I say its over!

And yes not part of this set up...

ENGLISH DO YOU SPEAK IT...IM ROMULAN AND I SPEAK IT

FED AND KDF both receive the ability to obtain a "FLAG SHIP" from the TIER 5 shipyard, if the scimitar is the supposive lame duck excuse for a flagship for us...than we should be able to obtain via same methods.....

4 year anniversary.....equality for our fraction!

I want, more bridge designs available
    trophy locations
    a TRUE ROMULAN ship to be the flag ship

that is all.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Source.

The Ha series were the last ships to come out of the RSE....or so I thought.

...In fact, the separation tech is from the Prometheus, which was briefly studied by the RSE, not the RR.....
    No where on the wiki page does it say it is RR AND it does compare its design to the mogai and the DD which are also RSE ships.....

Thus the only RR ships are the Arkif and Arkala. Those are the only RR ships and one of those should the flagship until a real RR flagship is built.
    In game.... the Ha' ships are never seen as part of enemy mobs. Ever. Except maybe in foundry.... but that's stuff redressed to look like them. Enemy Romulans are always the old guard Imperials and the Tal'Shiar.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In game.... the Ha' ships are never seen as part of enemy mobs. Ever. Except maybe in foundry.... but that's stuff redressed to look like them. Enemy Romulans are always the old guard Imperials and the Tal'Shiar.

On the other hand, Ha'Fehs, Ha'Noms, Ha'Apaxes and Haakonas all allow the IRW prefix. The Ar'Kif and Daeinos, the two exclusively Republic built ships, don't.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    On the other hand, Ha'Fehs, Ha'Noms, Ha'Apaxes and Haakonas all allow the IRW prefix. The Ar'Kif and Daeinos, the two exclusively Republic built ships, don't.

The prefixes make no sense and follow no pattern at all, anyways.
    KDF and Fed prefixes on allied ships?
    IRW prefixes on a ship that was build by the RSE, but is used by the RR?

It nonsensical.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    The prefixes make no sense and follow no pattern at all, anyways.
    KDF and Fed prefixes on allied ships?
    IRW prefixes on a ship that was build by the RSE, but is used by the RR?

It nonsensical.

Nonetheless, it's Cryptic's rationale.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Not really, you cannot use the I.R.W. prefix off the bat as you have to unlock it.

Same idea as the Mirror ships, basically nobody got around to change the prefix (and in the Romulan case that is deliberate false flag) but since the Ar'Kif and Daeinos are new Republic designs it would not fool anyone (as if the Empire was using them, they would be in False Flag anyway).

False Flagger, he?
    Didn't think about it like that.

But why should we use the prefixes of our "allies"?

I consider it distateful that I can name my Ar'kif "USS Kihai" but not "IRW Kihai"
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    trekkerchicktrekkerchick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    syndonai wrote: »
    Thing is, when the scimitar was first released I recall one of the devs posting somewhere that the scimitar wasn't going to be the RR's flagship, that they had another one planned for it.

Then S8 came and we find a scimitar as the RR's flagship.

I'm guessing they didn't have the manpower to follow that proposed avenue and resigned to leaving it. I imagine it would've been a sci-heavy full-carrier. Y'know, because why make two ships when they can kill two birds with one stone? Only they ran out of stones.

Thats my take on it all.

I vaguely remember something about that, too... if you can remember where you saw it, could you link it? I asked Branflakes about it and he said that the Schim was always intended to be the RRF's Flag.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Honestly cheesy copout using that POS reman ship as OUR flagship

For the 4th year anniversary, I would like to see a Romulan Designed FLAGSHIP

both the kdf and feds got it previous year, so I want our FRACTION to receive the same love

+1. I completely agree with you on this one. The POS Scimitar does not deserve the priviledge of being the Romulan Republic's flagship.

What the Romulan Republic needs it's a proper Romulan flagship that would be the counterpart of the Odyssey and the Bortasqu', regardless how many people feel that they are outdated. Make a counterpart with a design worthy of a Romulan engineer.

The Romulan flagship should be a starship that portrays the ideals,values and aspirations of the Romulan Republic. The fugly Scimitar with her thalaron death-ray does not do this.
    HQroeLu.jpg