What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Proper Romulan FLAGSHIP

bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Romulan Discussion
Honestly cheesy copout using that POS reman ship as OUR flagship

For the 4th year anniversary, I would like to see a Romulan Designed FLAGSHIP

both the kdf and feds got it previous year, so I want our FRACTION to receive the same love
tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

Post edited by bunansa on

Comments

• Options
    chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    SOOOOOO this. Yes the scimmie IS powerful as all getout. but it is ugly as sin and looks nothing like a romulan ship.
  • Options
    syndonaisyndonai Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thing is, when the scimitar was first released I recall one of the devs posting somewhere that the scimitar wasn't going to be the RR's flagship, that they had another one planned for it.

Then S8 came and we find a scimitar as the RR's flagship.

I'm guessing they didn't have the manpower to follow that proposed avenue and resigned to leaving it. I imagine it would've been a sci-heavy full-carrier. Y'know, because why make two ships when they can kill two birds with one stone? Only they ran out of stones.

Thats my take on it all.
    PKsymbol.JPG

Peacekeeper High Command
    Scorpius - Zelbinion Mk II
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The scimitar is fine as a flagship. Leave it as is I say.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think the scimitar is acting as a temporary flagship until they can make a new one. they can only make so many ships a year.

however, regardless its a great ship and canon wise is still one of the most powerful ships in the quadrant so it makes sense it would be a flagship.

and this is a joint venture between the romulans and the remans so there is no reason it has to specifically be a romulan ship as the flagship.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So the Haakona, a giant cruiser with a universal LtCmdr, doesn't count?
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the romulan flagship is the lexx
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the romulan flagship is the lexx

Sexbot not included. That's an extra 2500 zen.
  • Options
    panserbjorne39panserbjorne39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Um, ya agreed OP. Why would a one-off ship from the "black sheep aka Remans" of the Romulan empire be considered the flagship? It's a canon travesty.
    It's my feeling that the D'Derpydex aka D'Derebrick aka D'eniseCrosbyDex should be brought up to flag ship status and given a better turn rate and boff layout.
    The whole way Cryptic does ships is perplexing to me. Isn't it the Star Trek Fans that are more likely to spend RL money on the game? And along that line isn't it the Star Trek fans that would prefer iconic ships to be the flag ships and dominant ships in the game?
    It's like Ok, the DS9 iconic ships can be good but every other series iconic ships can suck it.
  • Options
    oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I thought the Haakona was the flagship of the fleep before the Scimitar made its debut?

If that is not the case, I vote for the T'varo to be the new flagship of the fleet.
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    What's with the Scimitar hate? It works fine as a flagship. Did not Sela end up using one as her flagship? Did not Donatra have one as her flagship?

That's the past two Empresses of the RSE, so why shouldn't the RR use one?
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    What's with the Scimitar hate? It works fine as a flagship. Did not Sela end up using one as her flagship? Did not Donatra have one as her flagship?

That's the past two Empresses of the RSE, so why shouldn't the RR use one?

Well there's nothing wrong with the Scimitar as a ship, so I don't get the hate either. But you did just accurately state the exact reason is makes more sense not to use one as their flagship - because it's a standing symbol of the Empire they're trying not to be.

Obviously you'd expect the Republic to still utilize Scimitars and their kin. They're powerful combat vessels, exactly the muscle the Republic needs to back up its claims as the dominant Romulan government. But a flagship is as much a symbol as it is a tactical asset, and parading around what is effectively a symbol of oppression as the great and mighty flagship would not be that bright an idea.

So yeah, I want the RR to get a new, unique flagship as well, not for any hate of the Scimitar, but because the RR deserves a flagship that better represents it.
  • Options
    terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Ha'Apax/Haakona would be a perfect flagship for the Republic, if it were a three-pack ship like the other flagships and/or actually used as the flagship in-game. As it is we get the Scimitar which, like jexsamx said, is a symbol of the Empire they're trying to distance themselves from, and more to the point is patterned after a ship built around a weapon of mass destruction built by a madman bent on genocide and galactic conquest. That doesn't really say "Peaceful Romulan Republic" too me. They may not be Vulcan hippies, true, but I don't think "We have a Thalaron weapon and we're not afraid to use it" is the message D'Tan wants to send.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just because in Nemesis the Scimitar was a Reman ship doesn't mean it wasn't designed by Romulans. The Narada doesn't look like the average Romulan ship but it is a Romulan ship. Remans use D'deredix class ships in the game but we know they are Romulan by design.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    [post]

Iunno. I get where you're coming from but don't really agree with it. The D'deridex was a widely produced and utilized vessel, whereas the Scimitar has been flown by two concurrent Empresses of the Romulan Star Empire. The D'd is certainly symbolic of the Empire, but unlike the Scimitar it isn't directly tied to the very head of that beast.

I'm with you on the RR /= Vulcans thing, though, nor are they (at least as of the end of the RR leveling storyline) any longer just a band of dashing rogues fighting for freedom. They're an established, independent government that is producing its own military vessels and actively engaging in diplomacy with the two major powers in the quadrant.

With that in mind, I think it's perfectly reasonable that they get a unique flagship. No, there's nothing wrong with the Scimitar. But I don't look at it and think "That's a Republic ship" the same way I look at the Odyssey/Bortasqu' and think "That's a Federation/Klingon ship". It all boils down to being a symbol, and the Scimitar just can't cut it in that regard.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    syndonai wrote: »
    Thing is, when the scimitar was first released I recall one of the devs posting somewhere that the scimitar wasn't going to be the RR's flagship, that they had another one planned for it.

Then S8 came and we find a scimitar as the RR's flagship.

That's pretty much what happened and I was looking forward to a proper flagship and was kinda sad when they changed their mind and named the Scimitar the Romulan flagship.
  • Options
    d3nzarkd3nzark Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    From the old FASA simulator.
    Make the big guns on the bottom 2x hangers
    the wings move up in combat and flat when going to warp (like bird of prey backwards)

Solves the carrier and flag ship issue:
    http://www.foundation3d.com/plugins/p13_download_manager/images/1593.jpg
    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/248/9/b/9b48ae35aa4509c9ba39ec35b57eccb1-d48wz54.jpg
    http://tykensrift.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/fresh-out-of-drydock-romulan-winged.html
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    d3nzark wrote: »
    the wings move up in combat and flat when going to warp (like bird of prey backwards)

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/248/9/b/9b48ae35aa4509c9ba39ec35b57eccb1-d48wz54.jpg
    http://tykensrift.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/fresh-out-of-drydock-romulan-winged.html

You mean after Cryptic bought the rights to this ship from the last company that owned the rights to FASA materials before it was refounded...which would be Microsoft.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Just because in Nemesis the Scimitar was a Reman ship doesn't mean it wasn't designed by Romulans. The Narada doesn't look like the average Romulan ship but it is a Romulan ship. Remans use D'deredix class ships in the game but we know they are Romulan by design.

The Narada originally looked like this:

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090617230811/memoryalpha/en/images/b/bd/Countdown_Narada.jpg

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090904022128/s__/startrek/images/7/73/Narada_and_the_Enterprise_arrive_at_Vulcan.jpg

before the stuck all this quasi-borg stuff onto it.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    d3nzark wrote: »

Even if they managed to get that ship in game, she is just to sleek and thin to be a Carrier.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just to throw in my two cents.

Having the scimitar and ships does make sense. Thanks to recruiting Obisek, the republic has the vault. A huge ship building facility that has the capability of crafting thalaron weapons. It can be expanded to such in game the same way Dewa III and New Romulus share a map point but can be two different things based on when a character goes there in their story arc.

As for a proper flagship. . . Distancing yourself from the madman that built the ship, the now borg leader that flew one. And the reviled self proclaimed empress seems a good goal. The Scimitar can have a place in the fleet, just not carrying the flag.

What I would suggest is something like the sweeping lines of the Vet destroyer. But up in scale with the Oddy and Bort. Keep it like them by having a detachable frigate (T'liss variant) But include not just the raptor of the romulans but some of the colouring to show the unification with the remans.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited December 2013
    Not a fan of a scim as the flagship myself... less so given the thalaron weapon combined with the carebear attitude of the republic makes no sense. Theres a perfectly advanced badass ship avalable that splits into two badass ships and its very romulan looking ;) Aside from that we should get some jacked up custom toy never before seen in the same vein as the mogh/avenger :P which we all know is coming anyways
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I would just like to bring up the possibility that Obisek is NOT part of the RR. He is a begrudging ally along the lines of, "The enemy of my enemy is NOT my friend. BUT, we can put aside our differences to beat a common foe." The much is suggested during the STF where you are defending the Vault from the tholians. In fact he EVEN SAYS you will have to be dealt with! Now.....with all that said, these are the people we get the romulan flagship from?

Wait......DAFAQ?!

why would a government claiming to be peaceful accept a starship built around a massive WMD giving to us from a people we have enslaved for god knows how long who has said they plan to AT LEAST kill off one of our newly proven and HIGHLY capable admirals...

Really?

Consider this: "Hmmm, I will allow them to use our powerful warship. allow them to come to like it, love it, rely on it. hell, silly rommies have made it their bloody flagship! When i launch my attack, they will find the ships they rely on and need the most out of their reach!"

Two words people: Trojan Horse

The Flagship SHOULD be an arkif or an arkala considering the romulans have no ship that is both new AND 100% Romulan that comes from the RR. And if we HAD to choose, considering the Ar'Kala is the updated version, THAT should be the Flagship until we are given a ship designed to be the flagship of the RR.
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If you want a flagship... don't make it any more massive than the Scimitar. It's annoying being stuck between a bunch of Scimitars.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think the Scimitar is perfect for the Romulan's flagship :) Why? Well, for the reasons stated earlier in this thread (paraphrased):

"It's not a Romulan ship."
    "The flagship is not just a ship, it's a symbol."

You're all quite right in that it's not a Romulan-designed ship; it's Reman (also Human by technicality). And it's also right that previous Scimitars have oppressed the Empire... but ultimately, it doesn't matter imo.

As a flagship of the Romulan Republic, it's a symbol that Romulans and Remans are now working together, to make a future for themselves and overturn previous stereotypes. And the Scimitar has everything needed to fight for all that, including power. It may be an 'aging' vessel design, but that shouldn't stop it from receiving that honor.

Plus yeah, any bigger and there'll be problems in Sector Space lol :D
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    Plus yeah, any bigger and there'll be problems in Sector Space lol :D
    WILL be problems? There already ARE problems. Ever spawn inside of a Scimitar blockade when exiting or arriving at a particularly popular Mission of the Day?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    WILL be problems? There already ARE problems. Ever spawn inside of a Scimitar blockade when exiting or arriving at a particularly popular Mission of the Day?
    Twenty times so far, but doesn't particularly bother me lol :P
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    cliftona91cliftona91 Member Posts: 254
    edited December 2013
    I would just like to bring up the possibility that Obisek is NOT part of the RR. He is a begrudging ally along the lines of, "The enemy of my enemy is NOT my friend. BUT, we can put aside our differences to beat a common foe." The much is suggested during the STF where you are defending the Vault from the tholians. In fact he EVEN SAYS you will have to be dealt with! Now.....with all that said, these are the people we get the romulan flagship from?

Wait......DAFAQ?!

why would a government claiming to be peaceful accept a starship built around a massive WMD giving to us from a people we have enslaved for god knows how long who has said they plan to AT LEAST kill off one of our newly proven and HIGHLY capable admirals...

Really?

Consider this: "Hmmm, I will allow them to use our powerful warship. allow them to come to like it, love it, rely on it. hell, silly rommies have made it their bloody flagship! When i launch my attack, they will find the ships they rely on and need the most out of their reach!"

Two words people: Trojan Horse

The Flagship SHOULD be an arkif or an arkala considering the romulans have no ship that is both new AND 100% Romulan that comes from the RR. And if we HAD to choose, considering the Ar'Kala is the updated version, THAT should be the Flagship until we are given a ship designed to be the flagship of the RR.
    The line of dialogue you speak of is a bug. All he said about dealing with you was said during the featured episode "The Vault" when you go into the Vault in a shuttle.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    cliftona91 wrote: »
    The line of dialogue you speak of is a bug. All he said about dealing with you was said during the featured episode "The Vault" when you go into the Vault in a shuttle.

Even so, considering the only ships to come out of the RR are the Ar'kif and the Ar'kala, the flag should be one those.