test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Wonderland 2013 Feedback

Comments

• macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2013
    Gingerbread PvE actually worked for me but it was a major pain. We had someone with a snowball gun and it still took forever. And the grinds ... Dear God the grinds not to mention the annoying voice overs like leeta in Drozana but much worse. Got to say that last year's WW was much better.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
    edited December 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Got to say that last year's WW was much better.

Sounds like the WW could use a dash of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' and a pinch of 'if we don't have the time to do it right, when will we have the time to do it over?'
    Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    Here's another thing - given the proximity of the S8 launch to the Winter Event, why isn't there a Q in the Dyson Sphere so we don't have to go back and forth between Tau Dewa and Qo'nos/ESD just to do the race.

Because there is an instant Free Transwarp that takes you directly to the Transporter Pads on ESD and Qo'nos? :P
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    That's an unacceptable apologist excuse really. Quality assurance would do wonders for Cryptic.

You'd think so, but all mmos follow this path to some degree
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    That's an unacceptable apologist excuse really. Quality assurance would do wonders for Cryptic.

"Quality Assurance" isn't a good idea when your product can SNAFU if someone so much as sneezes. :D
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
    The snow piles are staying as-is which means casual players and people with a lot of alts are out of luck.

Fast and flurrious 1st place gives 12 tags BUT they messed with it and seems to only pop up once an hour instead of twice like last year.
    I suggest doing the Winter invasion once it's fixed because if you do all the optionals (save all gingerbread men, get present, kill Yeti) you get a good amount of drops. Only problem is, the 30 minute cooldown on it.

They need to bring back the commodities in snow piles. Do it like the pie contest where you actually have to click on the action instead of just blindly pressing F (That is why it was removed by the way)
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Holodeck generates revenue. Tribble doesn't. Red Shirt doesn't. None of their internal test servers do. Holodeck is different from the other test servers. Infrastructure is different. After (almost) 4 years of hot fixes, tweaks, and other special considerations given to Holodeck, things are destined to break due to the 'evolutionary' differences.

It sucks. Because Quality Assurance can't do their job properly if their tests show something completely different than what reality will be on Holodeck. But when you have a fundamentally different infrastructure between the shard that generates revenue and the shard(s) that do not... this is what we're faced with.

Their test servers can simulate maybe 90-95% of what we have on Holodeck (numbers pulled out of my aft), these little glitches and bugs are more than likely unforeseen and constitute the 5-10% bugs we deal with. Another plausible scenario is Cryptic was fully aware of these bugs to begin with but decided to push the build forward today no matter what QA said.

Because things can "always wait to be fixed later", as long as it's on holodeck now.

Do I agree with it? No. But that's the way it is.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Holy **** get rid of the damned NPC voices!! Haven't even been logged into wonderland for 15 mins and I already want to log off the game it's so fraking annoying.

Whoever thought those were a good idea should be locked in a room with those blaring 24/7 until they go mad and rip their own ears off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thundermouththundermouth Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Last year I thought the Winter Event was great fun. I played it everyday it was offered. I got 3 Chel Grett ships; all of the winter jackets for all 3 of my alts; all of the scarfs; the frosted boots; and the nanopulse melee weapons. This year I find that there is nothing new for me here to justify the increase in grinding. The new prize ship is ugly and I already have a Chel Grett for all three of my characters (couldn't Cryptic offer us an Avenger?). I don't have a Romulan alt so no new scarf. Pets and foods are obtainable elsewhere and they take up limited valuable inventory space. Last year I thought Cryptic had great fashion sense with the jackets they offered. They had a cool 1930s, 1940s retro aviator look to them. Now this year we only get gaudy red and green re-coloured jackets? Mr. Blackwell, I have a new candidate for your Worst-Dressed List.

So there isn't anything here at this winter event to justify my participation. This is just my opinion and you are free to disagree with it. Too bad though, I was looking forward to playing in this year's event. Let's hope the next Summer Event is improved over the last one (players want to wear swimsuits like the NPCs!!!).

And finally, WOULD CRYPTIC PLEASE SHUT OFF THOSE ANNOYING WINTER EVENT VENDORS!!!
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,873 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm sorry but the farming snow balls last year for free stuff was a joke, gets annoying going to nodes for snowballs and had people farming them.

Romulan marks are like the easiest to obtain, what do you do when the winter event is over? Wait till next year to work on your Romulan rep?
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • isupreme9oisupreme9o Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The gingerbread quest is bugged for me. Couldn't access the map, keep getting booted out..
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2013
    iconians wrote: »

It sucks. Because Quality Assurance can't do their job properly if their tests show something completely different than what reality will be on Holodeck. But when you have a fundamentally different infrastructure between the shard that generates revenue and the shard(s) that do not... this is what we're faced with.

Their test servers can simulate maybe 90-95% of what we have on Holodeck (numbers pulled out of my aft), these little glitches and bugs are more than likely unforeseen and constitute the 5-10% bugs we deal with. Another plausible scenario is Cryptic was fully aware of these bugs to begin with but decided to push the build forward today no matter what QA said.

Because things can "always wait to be fixed later", as long as it's on holodeck now.

Do I agree with it? No. But that's the way it is.

Thats extremely apoligetic. Both servers should have the same hardware and software environment especialy software. Holodeck should just have allot more hardware. It's far cheaper to buy all the same racks and save 1-2 for patch and update testing than it is to buy 2 completely different systems. Cheaper to buy and easier to maintain and the above excuses you make for them would not happen.

Red and bold is what they do.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The new prize ship is ugly and I already have a Chel Grett for all three of my characters (couldn't Cryptic offer us an Avenger?).
    you say the new prize ship is ugly, then ask for an avenger in the same breath when most people are bashing it as the ugliest thing to come out of cryptic's art studio? i'm guessing you're one of the few who likes the design
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Agree the voices are annoying.

Last year when I was a new player it was lots of fun. Didn't know they took the presents out of the snow until I came here. I was planning on grinding out the Breen Ship since I skipped it last year. Nope. Can't win that race.

So that's it for the winter event for me this year.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    isupreme9o wrote: »
    The gingerbread quest is bugged for me. Couldn't access the map, keep getting booted out..
    It works if you make a private queue
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited December 2013
    carnivott wrote: »
    I've been looking forward to the Winter Event for weeks. Last year's event was fun even for having to do it every day on 6 alts. But today I found out first that there are no longer random drops from making snowballs. That was an easy way to get epoh tags to do the daily epoh doff missions for marks. Then, the giant snowman doesn't appear. The competitive race doesn't start. [I've read that these work, but are not on the schedule that is advertised. I was there for an hour and they didn't seem to be working at all.] The new gingerbread instance had me loop loading for five minutes until I was able to quit out of it. The pie eating contest worked, but I can't see how I or anyone else could do it more than once or twice without going batty. It takes a long time to complete, it's very repetitive, and other players can unintentionally make it difficult for you. The race where you get autographs worked, but that is a 3 week grind, and with everything else, I don't know if I want to do it this time around.

There are promises of fixes tomorrow, so I gave up and tried something else. [I can only hope that either we'll be able to get drops from making snowballs, or that a sufficient number of epoh tags drop to do the doff missions every day.] The patch notes made it seem that level 1 fleet spires would have a console to allow access to fleet versions of 1000 day veteran ships. That was not the case. After figuring out how to make it to the fleet spire [you can't get there from your starbase/embassy/mine], I find out that my fleet didn't have the console. No problem, you can access the ships from the ship vendors at the various faction starbases. I bought the required fleet module for 500 Zen only to find that I couldn't buy the ship. You need to be in a fleet with tier 2 of the spire completed. So I checked around with a couple other fleets; it seems no one has a tier 2 spire yet. And because tier upgrades for fleet holdings take over a week to complete, that means I won't get the upgraded vet ship until sometime next year.

In space, even you could hear me scream at this point.

Cryptic, please don't do this to me again. I'm going to play some other games now.

Or perhaps it is another infamous Cryptic/PWE stealth nerf stamping out a dev perceived exploit? :eek:
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    Thats extremely apoligetic. Both servers should have the same hardware and software environment especialy software. Holodeck should just have allot more hardware. It's far cheaper to buy all the same racks and save 1-2 for patch and update testing than it is to buy 2 completely different systems. Cheaper to buy and easier to maintain and the above excuses you make for them would not happen.

Red and bold is what they do.

Bolded the important parts for you. Didn't really deserve the red treatment though.

There's a difference between "should have" and "currently have". You really think I'm being an apologist for pointing out that things should change? You think I'm making up excuses for obviously bringing attention to the fact that the infrastructure needs to change on their test servers? You think I'm being a cryptic fanboy apologist excusemaker for pointing out that Cryptic needs to stop putting launch dates out so things can be properly polished?

I'm pointing out reality. I'm not pointing out conjecture and false hopes. I'm pointing out how things currently are. I'm pointing out that things should not be this way.

The world is not black and white. I'm objective. I see gray areas. Cryptic does some things good and some things bad.

Cryptic's system between QA, the devs, and the producers is bad. Part of the reason it's bad is that Holodeck is set up differently from an infrastructure standpoint.

But I guess I'm just being an apologist again for giving people a reality check instead of vomiting up ignorant rhetoric of "Cryptic bad!"
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The snow piles are staying as-is which means casual players and people with a lot of alts are out of luck.

Fast and flurrious 1st place gives 12 tags BUT they messed with it and seems to only pop up once an hour instead of twice like last year.
    I suggest doing the Winter invasion once it's fixed because if you do all the optionals (save all gingerbread men, get present, kill Yeti) you get a good amount of drops. Only problem is, the 30 minute cooldown on it.

They need to bring back the commodities in snow piles. Do it like the pie contest where you actually have to click on the action instead of just blindly pressing F (That is why it was removed by the way)

Yes they do need to bring the commodities back to the snowpiles. I do agree.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wow, What happened ?
    The winter event fell a bit short in expectations for me. Too bad too, I was so looking forward to it.

Cryptic, I don't expect something for nothing, but a lot of these winter vanity items are kinda useless after the Winter Wonderland event, so could you turn down the grind to obtain the snowball artillery stuff just a tad? I'd like to actually get them, and play around with them while the event is still live.
    Could you please increase the drop rates? Please?

The rest of the game's grind is waiting for us right where we left it. What's the harm in having this one event be more about the FUN, and less about the grind ? You know take a little break from it to .......enjoy the season.
    (I'm not talking about having to run the race for the ships BTW, I understand working towards that. I'm talking about getting the the snowball cannons, guns and such)

If you don't want us digging for winter commodities like last year, at least hide them throughout the map then and have us go on egg hunts or something.

I'd like to give away some of these clothing items as virtual gifts to fleetmates, but to be honest, at current drop rates, that's clearly not gonna happen, MUCH.
    Not with the fleet ornament project competing for these same resources... :rolleyes:

The good news is, there is still time to tweak this into something better.

I haven't had the pleasure of defending the gingerbread village. I'm really looking forward to that. As soon as I can play it that is.

I like the fact that the two ships can use each other's consoles, (for a set bonus), but for next year, (or maybe this year, if there is time?), Could you please consider offering an upgrade to the Breen set, sorta like the Jem Hadar set? (Except let us use those autographed pics instead of lobi?)

Also, - please consider a PVP snowball arena next year. I think that would be a nifty idea.

Thanks
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• gwassalorgwassalor Member Posts: 164
    edited December 2013
    Devs, I hate gingerbreads and snowmans etc. The only missing thing is Santa with bottle of Coke. Oh wait! I don't have to play it, that's cool! :D

Open up Risa event, let us spend our winter holidays on tropical island.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    gwassalor wrote: »
    Devs, I hate gingerbreads and snowmans etc. The only missing thing is Santa with bottle of Coke. Oh wait! I don't have to play it, that's cool! :D

Open up Risa event, let us spend our winter holidays on tropical island.

Devs, I love gingerbread and snowmen etc. And I can do without Santa with a bottle of Pepsi. Oh wait! I can already play it, that's awesome!

Keep Risa closed during the off season, the Risians are still resting from this year's summer event.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ... I thought that you were still able to go to the Risa event map. Just that you couldn't do any of the events on it.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    a3001 wrote: »
    Devs, I love gingerbread and snowmen etc. And I can do without Santa with a bottle of Pepsi. Oh wait! I can already play it, that's awesome!

Keep Risa closed during the off season, the Risians are still resting from this year's summer event.

STO Forums need a like button. Cause I like your post A Lot. :D

DeepSpace 9 Federation Operative
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's actually summer down here... just saying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You know it occurred to me. I honestly starting to think that Cryptic likes Anti-Social Events to get people to be hateful towards one another.

Look at the threads on the PvP Race, and people who was rightfully in first, get hosed because they wasn't quick on the draw.

And the same thing with the new Gingerbread Event, you aren't first to get the present.........tough shishkabab.

I'm really think they are doing this on purpose. Especially with the poor drops, so it encourages the Exchange horders to raise the prices to rip off people.
  • pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    +1 to what azurian said.

plz fix it so that everyone gets a "present" in the gingerbread event,just make it so they still have to find it,or kill the yeti and get a recipe.

i had a chat dialogue come up saying i'd found the hidden recipe...shame i wasn't looting anything at the time >
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • raulblanco7raulblanco7 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No winter commodities in the snow killed the winter event.

During 2 snowmen overload fight, we all went together and searched items in the snow... 5 min snowmen, 25min snow search, talking on fleet chat or ts during that... now instead of this we can do the woeful pie eating, or going to the winter invasion...but limited to 5 men, thats event not bad, funny, but its just a race for the gift after the first 4-5 run... i dont like that its available from queue and removing me from the map.

Next time if you guys extending something, do it reguralry, bigger winter wonderland, and you can find the colony on the map and the snowmens attack every half hour... of course it would be much work, but would be at least good.

New winter wonderland is disappointment as S8.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've got to say I'm so disappointed by WW :(

I was really looking forward to it, to running the race for autographs, running the PvP race for epohh tags, etc.

Last year was a real blast and I enjoyed every second there.

This year... well ... as soon as I beamed in my ears were assaulted by the incessant chatter from the NPC's.

Then it became obvious that it was a buggy instance. The grind also became apparent :(

Yet again its more evidence of work pushed live without proper adherence to the principals of QA.

And do you know something Cryptic? I hate having to complain about this. Its a great map, beautifully crafted, which should be gratefully received but you fall over your own feet again with bugs errors and really, really silly ideas.

And as for the snow piles? I didn't use any macros,bots etc. last year but really, the fact that people did....does it really matter? ITS CHRISTMAS(tm)!

I will continue to run toons through the races in WW as I love the new Breen ship but other that I will not be lingering there like I did last year.

Sadly season 8 has failed for me and now WW has :(
    server_hamster6.png
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh, unless you like extreme red or green stay away from the new coloured jackets.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Doesn't seem as fun as last year,
    1) vo is way overdone
    2) snowball piles are empty, personally doesn't affect me but does affect me indirectly. Part of the fun last year was that EVERYONE had something to do that they where happy with, the upset players mood don't match the winter celebration theme and really, can't say I blame them.
    3) the winter event last year had what... one bug at the start, and it was minor. The timing was bugged, the PVE gingerbread zone was bugged, MAIL!
    4) the new recipe concept isn't vary well explained.

All I can say to the devs is that last year was great, and because this event is only for a short point of time each year it's not like we are going to burnout on it that quickly (well... sept for the race for Q's pictures maybe) so if it's not broke, DON'T FIX IT!
    Please remember this for next years summer event
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite