test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Winter Wonderland 2013 Feedback

azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
My favorite time of STO year. :D

Good:

Miss the Ice Skating, good for downtime.

No more players botting snowpiles.

Addition of Voiceovers. (Snowman Overlord is cool, the Breens, the Gingerbread man sounds too much like the one from Shrek, the others.........see below.

Bad:

Gingerbread is bugged.

Pie Eating needs a LARGER Table, you can't have fun if you got 10 people going for pies at the same time you know.

Not really bad, but the new voices need the volume turned down and less reptition. Don't need NPCs yelling in my ear every second.

And the worst.

Events are overlapping. The Snowmen battle at the same time as the PvP Race? :mad:

I really think someone should've thought out the event better. Overlapping Events, player greed in fighting over pies that down spawn fast enough. And also the rewards for the events aren't as good compared to camping piles.

So I trust the Dev team will fix this in the next day or so.

Also, be nice if there was better reward rates of the Uncommon Items like the Bajoran Beads and the Sleighbells. Because of all the new items available, its going to be tough for players with multiple characters to get even half of that stuff before the end of the event.

Especially if they are going for that Winter Decoration for their Fleet.

So please give us an event that gives us better chances.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Events are overlapping. The Snowmen battle at the same time as the PvP Race? :mad:

This is the worst thing.. I mean, you have to choose betuine the PVP race or the snowman battle, and then you have 30 minutes of nothing... absolutely nothing.

People from my fleet came back after a long time to see the new event, 10 minutes later it was "this is all? Nothing new from last event? Good bye guys, see you next year"

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    deklak1deklak1 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i want that cryptic brings back the ornament in the snow piles, how else do i get very much ornament to buy the costums for my many toons.
    that pie eating contest is $&%&^)# i hate it.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My favorite time of STO year. :D

Good:

Miss the Ice Skating, good for downtime.

No more players botting snowpiles.

Bad:

Gingerbread is bugged.

Pie Eating needs a LARGER Table, you can't have fun if you got 10 people going for pies. Very Unfun!

And the worst.

I really think someone should've thought out the event better. Overlapping Events, player greed in fighting over pies that down spawn fast enough. And also the rewards for the events aren't as good compared to camping piles.

So I trust the Dev team will fix this in the next day or so.

I've a few to add, sadly negative;

Bad:

Pie eating is done by mouse, rather than using the keyboard. So unlike Epohh tagging, you have to point and click rather than just pressing "F"

Queueing for "Fastest Race On Ice" - Last year, it merely ignored one player if two people tried to start it at the same time. Now it starts both players, but only puts one on the track. Thus, the second player gets disqualified immediately.

The new Winter coats look very, very tacky. As do the Romulan scarves

The Snowman Overlord sometimes doesn't spawn.

Epohh Tags are only available through Fast and Flurrious.

So yeah, i'm pretty disappointed with what i've seen so far. Having decided that only three of my characters will be getting a Breen ship this year (Blesh Brek for my main, Chell Grett for my Klinks), unless I can get Epohh tags relatively easily i'm all but done with the Winter Wonderland.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So can I ask without sounding like a @#$! , did anyone of the Q&A team even give this a pass or just said " yup we sorta tested it ", I mean please sort this asap.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My feedback is patch server is too slow. Started 2 hours ago with the 2GB patch and still have 1.7GB to go!

(Of course storms could have destroyed part of our local network so may be not Cryptics fault)

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Walking animation for the Frosted Boots is totally broken.

Gingerbread Colony map doesn't work.

Overlapping events.

Race glitch.

Pie-Eating just doesn't make sense, the timer bars are too long.

...this is just the short list.

I fail to see how things like ice-skating, frosted boots, snow-ball animations and character spawns could be so ******n broken. It should be the exact same code as last year. The map-transfer I understand... But why is everything BROKEN that worked previously? How do you even DO that?

Oh and the voice-overs. Wow :mad: Volume = 0.

ON THE OTHER HAND: The candy-shoot'n pulsewave is my new favorite weapon. :D
  • Options
    lordrelentlesslordrelentless Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    OH dear god is the Gingerbread thing bugged. I got stuck in a loop of being rejected readmitted, I had to restart the game.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    Pie eating is done by mouse, rather than using the keyboard. So unlike Epohh tagging, you have to point and click rather than just pressing "F".
    In what universe is that a bad thing?

Digging through snowpiles was a snoozefest if you weren't using macros, and I don't think people "playing" STO by setting a macro to hit "F" repeatedly is exactly what the devs had in mind...
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I added to my OP.

Given that the Winter Store practically doubled in size with new items, how in the world does Cryptic expect us to earn enough Sleighbells and Beads to purchase them? On top of the Fleet Decoration requiring 250 each.

Really wish Cryptic would start thinking about players with multiple characters and small fleets. :mad:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    In what universe is that a bad thing?

Digging through snowpiles was a snoozefest if you weren't using macros, and I don't think people "playing" STO by setting a macro to hit "F" repeatedly is exactly what the devs had in mind...

As opposed to now, where you have to be wide awake for one and a half minutes and then you're ****ed because there's a fifteen minute cooldown timer.

In terms of Time Taken:Items Earned, there is no way in hell that the Pie Contest earns you more items than snowpiles.

Not to mention that another result of removing snowpiles means that Epohh tags are now only available via Fast and Flurrious. Which - on a personal level - was my most hated part of last years' Winter Event.

Although, ultimately I guess it doesn't matter since nothing in the store is worth buying.
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Last year the WW seemed like a break from the regular grind, nice and easy, lots of 'gifts?' no pressure holiday bonus fun. This is not that...

I'll grind and rep my way through the year, but come on guys this is a holiday event, give don't take. Lots of goodies in the snowpiles, it was fun last year, no pressure.

Ok so exploiters exploited, suspend (not ban) their accounts for this time around and let the rest of us enjoy the festive spirit.

BTW u obviously know who exploited and who didn't or you wouldn't have been able to call the exploit, so the Reasonable and logical (ie: non emotional) response would have involved action against those involved, unless of course u'r really just lashing out in frustration, just feeling the need to hurt someone somewhere...
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Last year the WW seemed like a break from the regular grind, nice and easy, lots of 'gifts?' no pressure holiday bonus fun. This is not that...

I'll grind and rep my way through the year, but come on guys this is a holiday event, give don't take. Lots of goodies in the snowpiles, it was fun last year, no pressure.

Now that you mention it.......

Compared to last year, we had to Grind Romulan Reputation along with WW and collecting the drops. This year, players who were smart, stored up Dyson Reputation and could enjoy WW free. But the grinding potential to unlock even half of that stuff looks...........not fun. :(
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Now that you mention it.......

Compared to last year, we had to Grind Romulan Reputation along with WW and collecting the drops. This year, players who were smart, stored up Dyson Reputation and could enjoy WW free. But the grinding potential to unlock even half of that stuff looks...........not fun. :(

That was kind of my point, don't get me wrong I'll live with some grind in any MMO and the whole dyson rep situation brings a whole new dynamic to the STO rep model. But I'm not going to spend 'leisure time' "WORKING" for a festive reward. I don't just want to have the grand prix handed to me, I enjoy the races and snowball fight too much to not play them and didn't mind digging through the snow for the extra baubles to get hold of the winter clothing. Surely they could just fix the broken mechanics (ie: longer respawn for baubles per snowball heap) rather than dumping these new (bugged) missions on us.

I'll be able to play most days through the event and know enough that I will get what I want from the event, but this time it won't feel festive. For those players that only scraped by last time(s) this will mean very little reward for a HOLIDAY event.

IMHO
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    That was kind of my point, don't get me wrong I'll live with some grind in any MMO and the whole dyson rep situation brings a whole new dynamic to the STO rep model. But I'm not going to spend 'leisure time' "WORKING" for a festive reward. I don't just want to have the grand prix handed to me, I enjoy the races and snowball fight too much to not play them and didn't mind digging through the snow for the extra baubles to get hold of the winter clothing. Surely they could just fix the broken mechanics (ie: longer respawn for baubles per snowball heap) rather than dumping these new (bugged) missions on us.

I'll be able to play most days through the event and know enough that I will get what I want from the event, but this time it won't feel festive. For those players that only scraped by last time(s) this will mean very little reward for a HOLIDAY event.

IMHO

I agree, I want to relax and enjoy the event, not work for it.
  • Options
    airborne2506airborne2506 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For the love of God can you please shut the vendors up! They talk why to much and are annoying!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I agree, I want to relax and enjoy the event, not work for it.

Hence why i'm irritated that they are once again calling the Breen ship a 'free' ship when it isn't. It has a price of it's own - 1000 Photos - and you have to earn those photos.

That does not qualify as 'free' in my book. The Ambassador and the Obelisk? They were closer to 'free' than this. Still not 'free', but closer.

Cryptic once again misinterpreting the spiriting of giving by setting it up as "giving...them something else to work towards".
  • Options
    blake73blake73 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have to congratulate the folks at Cryptic on an EPIC FAIL. You took an event that was as of last Dec really fun and a nice break from the norm and totally botched it. Well done.
  • Options
    colson15colson15 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I must add to the chorus, this IS NOT FUN like last year was.

Those voiceovers make me feel homicidal and shame on you Cryptic for making a fun, easy-going event from last year into a worse grindfest as I have ever seen.

Please put stuff back in piles, I can't even get a sleigh bell to save my life. Incidentally, there are like 2x as many items in the store vendor now... Christ.

For shame.
  • Options
    auggiedog1auggiedog1 Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    NPC voices- GET RID OF THEM!!!!
  • Options
    pozmedley1963pozmedley1963 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    deklak1 wrote: »
    i want that cryptic brings back the ornament in the snow piles, how else do i get very much ornament to buy the costums for my many toons.
    that pie eating contest is $&%&^)# i hate it.

Ditto!!!!!
  • Options
    pozmedley1963pozmedley1963 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    blake73 wrote: »
    I have to congratulate the folks at Cryptic on an EPIC FAIL. You took an event that was as of last Dec really fun and a nice break from the norm and totally botched it. Well done.

I really hate to complain. I really do. I try to limit any negative comments to actual bugs (like not being able to get into thew gingerbread mission) but I have to agree that the one special event that you guys got right 100% and was enjoyable is totally not that this year. What happened?????
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Here's another thing - given the proximity of the S8 launch to the Winter Event, why isn't there a Q in the Dyson Sphere so we don't have to go back and forth between Tau Dewa and Qo'nos/ESD just to do the race.
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My feedbask is that when I get stuck in the invasion, by myself, and therefore can not kill the baron, but also can not leave, what the frell do I do? Even exiting the game completely has me back in there when I go to that character again in the invasion. I got no answer from any GM's and put in a ticket, but those are still bugged, I cant see my reports at all, still. IS MY CHARACTER STUCK UNTIL JANUARY???
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My uniform slots after 4 still aren't working, there are other bugs from season 8, and now this?What the pony Cryptic???
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ran 2 alts through. Couldn't get into the new gingerbread thingy, kept getting kicked. Have no idea when the snowball fights take place. A pie eating contest? In the winter? Whatever.

Fortunately, none of the new items are terribly appealing - I don't have room for them in my inventory anyway - so I only have my Reman alt to outfit. Will still have to run the track 150 times, but what the heck.
  • Options
    carnivottcarnivott Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've been looking forward to the Winter Event for weeks. Last year's event was fun even for having to do it every day on 6 alts. But today I found out first that there are no longer random drops from making snowballs. That was an easy way to get epoh tags to do the daily epoh doff missions for marks. Then, the giant snowman doesn't appear. The competitive race doesn't start. [I've read that these work, but are not on the schedule that is advertised. I was there for an hour and they didn't seem to be working at all.] The new gingerbread instance had me loop loading for five minutes until I was able to quit out of it. The pie eating contest worked, but I can't see how I or anyone else could do it more than once or twice without going batty. It takes a long time to complete, it's very repetitive, and other players can unintentionally make it difficult for you. The race where you get autographs worked, but that is a 3 week grind, and with everything else, I don't know if I want to do it this time around.

There are promises of fixes tomorrow, so I gave up and tried something else. [I can only hope that either we'll be able to get drops from making snowballs, or that a sufficient number of epoh tags drop to do the doff missions every day.] The patch notes made it seem that level 1 fleet spires would have a console to allow access to fleet versions of 1000 day veteran ships. That was not the case. After figuring out how to make it to the fleet spire [you can't get there from your starbase/embassy/mine], I find out that my fleet didn't have the console. No problem, you can access the ships from the ship vendors at the various faction starbases. I bought the required fleet module for 500 Zen only to find that I couldn't buy the ship. You need to be in a fleet with tier 2 of the spire completed. So I checked around with a couple other fleets; it seems no one has a tier 2 spire yet. And because tier upgrades for fleet holdings take over a week to complete, that means I won't get the upgraded vet ship until sometime next year.

In space, even you could hear me scream at this point.

Cryptic, please don't do this to me again. I'm going to play some other games now.
  • Options
    mwagner84mwagner84 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    seannewboy wrote: »
    My feedbask is that when I get stuck in the invasion, by myself, and therefore can not kill the baron, but also can not leave, what the frell do I do? Even exiting the game completely has me back in there when I go to that character again in the invasion. I got no answer from any GM's and put in a ticket, but those are still bugged, I cant see my reports at all, still. IS MY CHARACTER STUCK UNTIL JANUARY???

I can't see any of my tickets either nor have I gotten any response to any of them. The Winter Store isn't working for me and I'm worried that I may miss out on the new items until next year if they don't fix it soon.
    ljkv85w17ya7.png
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Calm down, everything breaks on the first day. It's pretty much a garuntee. :P
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2013
    First Rule of Cryptic Deployments: wait 48 hours for the worst to be fixed.