Install Arc
Options

Winter Wonderland 2013 Feedback

Comments

• Options
    baratgabbaratgab Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the deal is with the different gingerbread pets? Q gave me the standard one, but what about the Andorian, Orion, and Klingon versions? Are these upgrades, or is the one you pull just luck of the draw?

I won an andorian and a vulcan from the 'mysterious boxes', so I guess you can get any of them by chance. (BTW, did you know that they will stop animating and won't follow you after the event is closed? As a new player, it was pretty disappointing for me to hear about it. So they will soon end up wasting my inventory space, and of course I can't even trade them. I was happy to get them, but things like this really ruin the experience, at least for me.)
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Member Posts: 3,085 Arc User1
    edited December 2013
    Bad?

Red and green winter jackets/coats are terribly oversaturated.

Considering that these can't be colored in tailor, this garish color makes for costume pieces not fitting well with any existing uniform palettes.

I'm using my ornaments for buying older costume pieces, because new 2013 parts are just... not very useful? :rolleyes:

At least when you are trying to fit them with other costumes.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    holiday themed clothing is supposed to be garish. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    kirkepsilon1kirkepsilon1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Good News:

-Ice Skating Back very nice
    -New Items in the vendor i.e new coats always good :)
    -More ways to earn holiday currency fantastic
    -Winter invasion hilarious brings out my natural big kid nature
    -new weapons available awesome
    -new pets great :D

Bad News:

-ice lake too small in OP no real jumps to go at and get some great air
    -Gingerbread men and snowmen pets only usable during Event epic fail :(
    -Snow weapons not usable on other maps to deal with enemies in a funny way needs improvement please.
    -drop rate of beads terrible way too rare am sad to say and not in huge numbers either.

-Another pie table or two would be good.

Suggestons For Next Time:

-Skiing
    -bob slay
    -snowmobile race
    -ice rink or enlargement of current lake with some big jumps please
    -Snowboarding
    -snow ball fighting pvp
    -Xmas Tree?
    -Q dressed as Santa lol
    -John De Lancie to do VO if possible within budget?
    -Poker program for ship? personally I would settle for that in the next season update or as a early Xmas present :P.
  • Options
    tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    did the pvp race tonite. was ahead of the group towards the last hairpin, still way ahead of the group, looked up the hill and saw that the 2nd place flag was active with no sign of who tagged the 1st place flag. whoever got it was in and out like lightning.

kinda sucks.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tehjonel wrote: »
    did the pvp race tonite. was ahead of the group towards the last hairpin, still way ahead of the group, looked up the hill and saw that the 2nd place flag was active with no sign of who tagged the 1st place flag. whoever got it was in and out like lightning.

kinda sucks.

This happened to me today. There was no first flag, there was a player though and I never saw him take the lead. I reported the issue.

When it is a close finish, the whole thing can become a lotery. Perhaps that is a design idea. Afterall, it is a Q party. I don't know if there is an accolade to get. I do like the race and every time it is on, I participate. I win and I lose enough, so I am not complaining about not getting what I should get. However if there is a way to cheat and there is an accolade, anybody that gets it has this smell of a cheater on him.
  • Options
    shadosweavershadosweaver Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Is there an accolade for the 6 ginger bred guys/lasses
    I have all 6 only asking.

Winter Invasion:
    Only 1 team member can collect Recipe?
    Yeti You do not recive bells or beads?
    Final Snowboss Again no beads or bells: VERY RARE from the present :(

Could use few more events to break it up a little {less repetative}

Nano Batt'leth & Lirpa- Borg Adapt to these WOT Gives? they are melee weapons

Free Ship Race: The Breen Dude that runs with you changes to different animals while racing you this is unfair.

Epohh Tag Race: You have fleet members sitting on the hills firing snowball at race members causing them to loose race!

Pie Mission: NEVER and i repeat NEVER get Beads or Bells.

Most importantly could use few more events.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Nano Batt'leth & Lirpa- Borg Adapt to these WOT Gives? they are melee weapons
    they may be melee weapons, but they deal energy damage, and the borg adapt to all forms of energy damage...even cold, which makes no sense, since cold is the absence of energy
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    mike74firemike74fire Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    anybody else have a problem with using the snowballs they only show up under devices on your character and you have to go hit 'u' and then right click on snowballs to use them
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    they may be melee weapons, but they deal energy damage, and the borg adapt to all forms of energy damage...even cold, which makes no sense, since cold is the absence of energy
    Yeah, it used to be that Borg didn't adapt to Nanos, but that got "fixed". :(
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well the finally did it. Cryptic/PWE turned a fun event from last year into more grinding than fun!

Really Cryptic/PWE! Is this your idea of taking a break from the year long "Farmville in Space" theme?

Can the people in charge at Cryptic/PWE please start to listen to us (YOUR CUSTOMERS) for a change?

Wow the only theme that seems to be in the blank minds of the producers at Cryptic/PWE is more grind and then even more grind!

Give the grind a rest at least for the holidays please!
  • Options
    cptspock11cptspock11 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wish Cryptic would make the gingerbread pets all year that would be awesome otherwise it's a waste and i love the gingerbread pets so Please make it all year around that would be AWESOME!
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I didn't say remove bunny hopping. I said make it that you cant do it in the race.

You know, I don't think that's totally unreasonable. If they can design it so that you slip and slide on the ice they can also design it to either "turn off" hopping or apply a "knock up" to make you fall if you try it.

What I'm not sure about is whether they can do that and still allow skate-jumping on the frozen pond if you have the frosted boots on. My guess is yes, but I'm not a dev.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I really don't think the devs care about hopping. that aspect of ice racing has been there for two years.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The only way I was able to get a coat, shoes and a couple guns last year was because of the snow piles, no I wasn't botting, just hitting the F key while chatting and waiting for the snowman event.
    This year that's over, the piles just give you snow balls, I'm not interested in the race, chat has people complaining every second about getting disqualified and I think the Breen ships are hideous, Gingerbread village is a waste of time, the hawkers around Q are so loud it gives me a friggin headache, where's the fun in this? As soon as I figured out what was going on I sold what xmas TRIBBLE I had in my inventory and bailed.

Cryptic just couldn't resist taking a good thing and completely messing it up, I'm surprised they don't have the snowmen dropping holiday lockboxes.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    All the events award a ton of stuff now. You can blame your friendly botters for causing them to get rid of the snowball pile drops.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    I'm surprised they don't have the snowmen dropping holiday lockboxes.
    shhhhhhh, don't give them any ideas
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    j0hn41j0hn41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Since I already left some negative, (hopefully constructive), feedback I figured I'd take the opportunity to commend the dev team on the changes/fixes in the latest patch with respect to the winter event. The fixes to the holiday chef accolade, the Nog's nog bug in particular, as well as the obvious fix to the Winter Invasion's recipe present pickup were most most appreciated. Makes the event a lot more fun when it's cooperative instead of a competitive race to see who gets the item first at the expense of all else.

Of course the item drop rate adjustments to most of the winter events are also highly appreciated. It's always more fun to work towards something than have it handed to you, but there has to be some kind of measure of progress. Progress is most definitely perceivable now.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    shhhhhhh, don't give them any ideas
    that was the 2011 event. :P Although there weren't keys, the boxes were either a mission reward or a z-store purchase.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    Hence why i'm irritated that they are once again calling the Breen ship a 'free' ship when it isn't. It has a price of it's own - 1000 Photos - and you have to earn those photos.

That does not qualify as 'free' in my book. The Ambassador and the Obelisk? They were closer to 'free' than this. Still not 'free', but closer.

Cryptic once again misinterpreting the spiriting of giving by setting it up as "giving...them something else to work towards".

1000 photos to GRIND lol grind,grind and more grind. After seeing this i'm skipping the whole event. Thanks cryptic for your lousy holiday spirit.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    really? Free in this case means you don't have to spend actual money. Honestly the race is kinda fun.

Seriously though, how much fun would the event be if you could just go there once and get everything?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Free in this case means you don't have to spend actual money.
    I can exchange dilithium for zen and buy a ship in c-store. Is this free? I can buy a key for EC, open lockbox and recieve a ship (which even will not be bound). Is this free? I could run FE for lobi, add some lobi from another source and buy a ship for 800 lobi (which will not be bound also). Is this ship will be free or maybe partially free? Breen ships costs a game time or real money so they aren't free.
  • Options
    gerrshwinngerrshwinn Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Scandalised that Cryptic can't offer better support for community standards.

Number of times I see folk flag stealing on the event is poor, really poor. Hope your mother's are proud ;).

Question: They can implement code to detect you leaving the track and code to give player assigned rewards in PVE. Why can't they give the rewards to the folk for their ACTUAL place in the race rather for their luck at flag stealing?

Hmpph!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    well, it's a race to grab the flag. Not really a race to the finish line. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    gerrshwinn wrote: »
    Why can't they give the rewards to the folk for their ACTUAL place in the race rather for their luck at flag stealing?

This is not a luck. People with lower ping have better chances for grab flags.
  • Options
    mozohamozoha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks cryptic, I like it and I appreciate it.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One thing that I would like to request for this, and for next year's Summer Event, is that the assignments to raise epohhs/birds be reduced to 23 hours and 45 minutes, or something like that, just to keep the things from creeping forward a little every day.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.