Install Arc
Options

Winter Wonderland 2013 Feedback

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    captainkccaptainkc Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Something I don't understand about the Mysterious Box of Cookies and Treats... maybe someone can shed some light: when I just checked the Exchange, they range from 90K to about a million for a stack. Why? What could possibly be so valuable about a bunch of non-combat pets, a snowman-morphing coal lump, and a few random ornaments?

[
    Queueing for "Fastest Race On Ice" -- Last year, it merely ignored one player if two people tried to start it at the same time. Now it starts both players, but only puts one on the track. Thus, the second player gets disqualified immediately.
    FRI was easier last year, I don't know w.t.h Cryptic did to it but I tried twice to run it. I lost in the middle of running it as apparently the other player (no idea who that may be) already won :confused:

No opinion on either Q's photos or the holiday recipes/ingredients. Sounds like more trouble than they are worth.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ... stuff. --the Doctor, "Blink"
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    captainkc wrote: »
    Something I don't understand about the Mysterious Box of Cookies and Treats... maybe someone can shed some light: when I just checked the Exchange, they range from 90K to about a million for a stack. Why? What could possibly be so valuable about a bunch of non-combat pets, a snowman-morphing coal lump, and a few random ornaments?
    The noncombat pets are CBoP items and opening the blue boxes is the only way to get them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    xandercorvusxandercorvus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    "Join Date: Jun 2012" Says Cryptic's "new" forum system. I've been here since a week before launch, but SOME stuff just didn't carry over through multiple system changes/updates. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Had a funny race today. There were two competitors. The other guy took quickly a good lead with that hopping skill. However at the las turn he stopped, I think he just waited, and let me get by. At the final leg I was just by him, although he go a very small margin. Since we were just two, I went for the first flag and I got it. I am sure though that he was slightly ahead and technically won the race. I bow to his chivalry. I won't wait when I am first, but then I don't hop.

The start of the fastest man on ice is a game on its own. When two playesr interact with the Breen the one who is second gets the race. The other one has to get the mission again.

When I am waiting and someone comes in line after me, I wait with the interaction. until he waves and then take the race. Today someone was doing the same. Ther was also someone afk as it seems. So three players no one took the race.
  • Options
    draugadandraugadan Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wish there was another way to get Epohh tags. I am ok with the race, I do fairly well with it. So the mechanics of the race are not my problem with the system.

What I don't like is that the tags are limited by time. You have to be in a particular place at a specific time. You get 4 chances an hour. I have alts I'd like to get Epohhs for, and I don't have a lot of time to be online right now. Often I can find time for one character to do the race once.
    So... I badly wish doff missions, or the Winter Invasion, or something also gave a chance to award some tags.
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    draugadan wrote: »
    You get 4 chances an hour.

This is not the only problem. When the event was launched there were 110+ instances, after first patch - 79, after second - 50, and after the last - 31. This is means that we have less and less 1st places and more and more people will get 2-3 tags per run. I think that right now this race has became a very big time waster.
  • Options
    captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    This is not the only problem. When the event was launched there were 110+ instances, after first patch - 79, after second - 50, and after the last - 31. This is means that we have less and less 1st places and more and more people will get 2-3 tags per run. I think that right now this race has became a very big time waster.

Also, its great that you can be neck to neck with someone and due to lag or sheer dumb luck the person behind you gets the first place flag. Then, by the time you get back to the 2nd or 3rd place flags they are all taken and your left with measly 2 tags for coming in first.

I wonder what real-life race they based this off of because I don't know of any type of competitive race where people chase for a flag at the end and then scurry about trying to grab 2nd or 3rd like rabid dogs. It is always the first to cross the finish line.
  • Options
    destoroyahsdestoroyahs Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I can agree with most there should be alternate means of getting epoch tags besides the race.

On the subject of the race I would love if they can do something about the bunnyhopping cheat. Not only do they move faster then a normal slider but can negate or drastically reduce traction on turns giving them quicker acceleration. I feel this is a cheat because of the listed reason and because it's against the spirit of the race. I don't mind players using the jump to clear the obstacles. A simple timer for the jump key is all that is needed or a slip and fall if you activate the jump to early after the first.
    Just so you know I win 1st in most my races even with large groups without having to use rolls or jumps to take advantage of their traction reduction, but when I'm in races with bunny hoppers most are at the finish before I turn the last turn and I only ever win against the really bad hoppers.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Also, its great that you can be neck to neck with someone and due to lag or sheer dumb luck the person behind you gets the first place flag. Then, by the time you get back to the 2nd or 3rd place flags they are all taken and your left with measly 2 tags for coming in first.

I wonder what real-life race they based this off of because I don't know of any type of competitive race where people chase for a flag at the end and then scurry about trying to grab 2nd or 3rd like rabid dogs. It is always the first to cross the finish line.
    Enh, you're thinking of professional track events. But those also don't have obstacles made from jagged pieces of ice. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Perhaps they tried to adapt Biathlon, but to make it work with STO they replaced the precision shooting (which could be guaranteed hit in RPG-mode, right?) with "precision" walking. Think of the walking to another flag, when you missed your target, as the penalty loop.

I'm not saying it's good - lost a few flags myself - just speculating what may have gone through the designers head.
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I won't be able to get the new Breen Heavy Raider due to a BUG...

The only thing apart from the bug above for me that I hate is the chef, he constantly goes on "Would you like a tasty treat together" - Can be a tad anoying. Mind you so was that Ferengi on QONOS that kept screaming out.

Link to the bug report on forum

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=964391
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    xelene13xelene13 Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Fast and the Flurrious race for epohh tags. Hate it. Not going into a long analysis. Bottom line, I hate it.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    fovrel wrote: »
    When I am waiting and someone comes in line after me, I wait with the interaction. until he waves and then take the race. Today someone was doing the same. Ther was also someone afk as it seems. So three players no one took the race.
    I was in a duel with such a line-cutter a few days back. We were just glaring at each other for nearly a minute, each waiting for the other guy to move first and thus be booted.

So I did /emote_notext wave instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well Cryptic, given the hate chat during the Race Time and complaints here on the forum, you better add an alternative next time at the same time you fix questionable tactics and bugs.
  • Options
    domvinadomvina Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    On the subject of the race I would love if they can do something about the bunnyhopping cheat. Not only do they move faster then a normal slider but can negate or drastically reduce traction on turns giving them quicker acceleration.

Ah. That explains the race I just ran. The character that hopped like they were on crack not only won but completely blew everyone else away. I came in second but by about the length of the final turn to the finish and I usually come in first or second running "normally".

I don't know if it can be called an exploit but it certainly feels like one. Fortunately I rarely see it being done. At least at the races I've been in.

Now that I know about it I'll just file it away. Unless I see a tonne of other players doing it I have to plans to use this exploit.
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I love it, only a few minor things. I will add on to the list as I think of more.

1 - I wish that race tracks were different.

2 - It would be cool if the snowmen ignored me while I'm doing a race.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    domvina wrote: »
    Ah. That explains the race I just ran. The character that hopped like they were on crack not only won but completely blew everyone else away. I came in second but by about the length of the final turn to the finish and I usually come in first or second running "normally".

I don't know if it can be called an exploit but it certainly feels like one. Fortunately I rarely see it being done. At least at the races I've been in.

Now that I know about it I'll just file it away. Unless I see a tonne of other players doing it I have to plans to use this exploit.
    I'm not even sure how it's possible to do that.... my best guess is weird keybinds.

As for hate chat.... lol wut? never seen it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Bells and Beads are easy to get after the bumped the doff mission rewards?do those, eat a few pies?..already filled are Fed and KDF for the special?.bought 16 toons coats and guns?.handied out 8 coats as presents to flee ties?.really too easy
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    kirisee wrote: »
    Bells and Beads are easy to get after the bumped the doff mission rewards?do those, eat a few pies?..already filled are Fed and KDF for the special?.bought 16 toons coats and guns?.handied out 8 coats as presents to flee ties?.really too easy
    Same here, I've gotten to the point where I give stuff away to random people just because I have so much...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    seniorkafeiseniorkafei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think the change to up the rarity of beads and bells was for the best, considering a couple key points. #1 is that not everyone has time to log in several times a day to check on their duty officers, let alone play the game. This makes things much easier for those people, and especially for people who have several alts.

The second point, and the one which is really important to consider, is that this is a holiday event. As many people had said prior to the update (not myself personally, but I read it a lot), we shouldn't have to grind away all day to get anywhere. This is supposed to be a relaxing break from the grindstone. Also, before the update, you couldn't even receive uncommon drops from the pie-eating contest.

Overall, in this specific case, too much is better than too little. I mean, you guys even said it yourselves: you have too much, so you're getting gifts for your fleet members who are struggling! If you ask me, that's the spirit of this holiday season, and the way it should be.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As for hate chat.... lol wut? never seen it.

It's there, you just got to actually read the chat. :P

Accuations of people cheating, people pissed they losing the first because a person tailing them stole the flag, bugs, etc. And the Devs know it, they just don't want to admit there are problems.

I don't even have to say a word.
  • Options
    turet2idoxturet2idox Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Where does one go to redeem unused Christmas gifts/junk???
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    turet2idox wrote: »
    Where does one go to redeem unused Christmas gifts/junk???
    any starbase with a Dabo wheel will have a console that lets you sell them. Er... well... that would be just DS9 and Drozana now that I think about it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The Breen Ship projects should have a similar mechanic to the Reputation Sponsorship--namely, you should be able to "sponsor" your alts or new characters on your account so that they earn double Q photos (or the costs for ships drop to 500 Photos).

It's impossible for them to "catch up" otherwise.

Other than that, I liked much of the new content. I liked--a lot--that there were so many more ways to earn Commodities. And the Plesh Brek is just a sick little puppy to fly.

Other than the impossibility of alts getting new ships because they cost so much, I'd say all's well.