Install Arc
Options

Season 8 is a failure.

Comments

• Options
    wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    I don't mind seeing Cryptic tortured a little bit, just like everyone else. But expecting their environmental artists to create an entire Dyson Shell on a 1:1 scale like we see here isn't just sadistic, I think the Hague classifies that as a crime against humanity.

They put a lot of effort into those 4 zones. Have you seen the level of detail they put in? And you want it on an unreasonably larger scale than that?

I do check out what people are saying, and I agree with some things -- and I disagree with others. But to expect them to do the entire Dyson Sphere on a 1:1 scale is ludicrous. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

I have to admit. I had to chuckle.. I'm not 'that" sadistic.. At least i dont think i am.. Because of the scale of the dyson sphere, Its my belief they shouldnt have done it at all.. Because their interior is solid and contains no star, its not a dyson sphere. its a really big hollow ball in space near delta quadrant ( not even in it where the Voth are but near it ).. Yeah sure, I'm temporarily furious. Its yet another shining example of Dan Stahls blatant shredding of Trek for no reason whatsoever than to try and make a sale.. Theres no consistency with anything anyone ever knew of as trek. Theres No story, and very very little dialogue, Theres nothing but pew oew pew, grind grind grind and buy lots of master keys so you can get the lobi you need for all the really neato cool stuff they now have at the lobi store.. trinkets for starving minds..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm with emacs. Somebody should have at least tried to figure out why the Voth are trying to gather Omega particles and opened negotiations instead of shooting first and not bothering to ask questions.

Did you watch the episode The Omega Directive? Where was Janeway's negotiations then? The same place they are now.

"I don't care if you can make it sing and dance; we're getting rid of it."
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey, look at it this way: For years, Klingon players have had to suffer through Fed-centric recycled content written from a Feddie viewpoint with Feddie attitudes. Now it's YOUR turn: See the Galaxy, meet new and interesting lifeforms from distant and exotic worlds, and then kill them.

Oh I Know.. There is one difference however.. Klingons have always been a real faction. Romulans will always be Federation or klingon and not real at all.. It isnt exacctly what i would call subtle, but then, perhaps someone who has been here longer than I would see it differently..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Did you watch the episode The Omega Directive? Where was Janeway's negotiations then? The same place they are now.

Janeway made a 7-year cruise founded on bad decision making. I mean she spit on the Prime Directive to save the Ocampa in the pilot, at the cost of numerous crew members who died throughout the series.

She isn't exactly someone I think Starfleet should be seeing as a role model. If it was Kirk he'd let the Ocampa die if it meant getting the men and women on board his ship home safely. For all the redshirt deaths in the series, Kirk always put the safety of his crew and ship above all else.

Janeway was horribly written, like so many other characters on that show. And no, I don't think STO should have taken cues from Voyager in some ways, either. Because the horrible writing of Voyager has unfortunately found its way either directly or indirectly into STO.

That said, I understand there are many Voyager fans out there (I like some of the episodes but like Star Trek in general, overall the series was bad), and they want their favorite slice of Star Trek in the game too. And I can respect that.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i will take janeway over bad acting kirk any day
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013

But I notice even that psychopath Janeway (yes, I subscribe to Chuck Sonnenberg's interpretation) tried to talk to the idiots that were experimenting on it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i will take janeway over bad acting kirk any day

Bad acting vs. bad writing.

... tough call.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    S8 is a major disappointment for me, and it appears people in our fleet.

I purposefully avoided playing tribble to keep it fresh, I logged off after 2 hours. Others in the fleet said, "I'm bored" and left.

The space adventure zone is garbage.. what a waste of time, those mini missions scattered around are just pointless. Capture and holding points for a zone wide event? Who cares.

The ground map is better, but ultimately super easy. There were some one hit kills but once you learn to avoid them its just very basic stuff. Collecting pink twirly things on the ground is idiotic. Dinosaurs with lasers has worn off, its not that cool, and they aren't very different than any other ground enemy, you shoot them they die.

The spire holdings is just another copy paste, makes me wonder how much time they really need to put into making these at this point.

Every season we get further away from Star Trek
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Alright... here's my take on it.

The content is easy, way too easy. I grabbed a toon that isn't well equipped and was able to roll Voth ships solo... and was able to basically run the battlezone solo.

In the six hours I played I saw maybe two other players on the ground. That's it.

In "space" I saw a handful, but there was really no point in joining them as they too were rolling Voth ships solo.

In the "social" or "staging" zones like Joint Command and the Battlezone staging area... I saw 3-4 people over the course of six hours.

I don't know why zone population was so low -- is the login problem bigger than Cryptic is letting on? Or is the content that much of a flop? Little from A little from B?

Not sure if I'm going to grind this all the way through on both my mains if the content is this laughably easy. ISE is more of a challenge than The Breach. The Breach is just long... there is no "fail" mode and it can be done in 20 min with a PUG while flying green-equipped ships.

On the outside possibility that Cryptic reads this, crank the difficulty up a couple of notches and do something about increasing the zone population. 4 people in a zone across six hours of playing? Not a good sign. Not a good sign at ALL.
  • Options
    linkjoylinkjoy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I honestly don't know what to think anymore. I am impressed by the actual content, don't get me wrong.

But the reputation/fleet project grinding is a little much. The lockboxes are obvious money makers, in conjunction with the limited 8k a limit refining. (It wouldn't be so bad, if we didn't HAVE to login to refine.)

I mean I haven't given any more money to this game at all in about a year 1/2 so, it really doesn't bother me.

I'll start giving money again once the refine limit is adjusted to be fair, and they take out the lockboxes.

Also, what is up with the new reputation that you have to do a project every hour? So basically to get to the original amount in the old reps, you have to stay on for four hours? Yeah, that makes no sense.
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    linkjoy wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what to think anymore. I am impressed by the actual content, don't get me wrong.

But the reputation/fleet project grinding is a little much. The lockboxes are obvious money makers, in conjunction with the limited 8k a limit refining. (It wouldn't be so bad, if we didn't HAVE to login to refine.)

I mean I haven't given any more money to this game at all in about a year 1/2 so, it really doesn't bother me.

I'll start giving money again once the refine limit is adjusted to be fair, and they take out the lockboxes.

Also, what is up with the new reputation that you have to do a project every hour? So basically to get to the original amount in the old reps, you have to stay on for four hours? Yeah, that makes no sense.

Lockboxes are the games best source of income , If they take them out - The game wouldn't last long...

Also, I was a little dubious apon how easy it was to login... Maybe they have actually bought some servers from the 21st century?

I have to agree that most of the content is too easy. Give the voth some serious firepower to go along with their mental tanking capabilities! I want something that shoots back! (Preferably not in the form of invis-insta kill torpedoes!)
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is it bad that after logging in, I saw this thread and smiled? :rolleyes: I guess Cryptic didn't get the memo that not that many people are actually interested in the Voth or this Dyson Sphere. Season 8 should have focused on either the Federation - Klingon War, or something around Cardassia. If not that, then a more direct Iconian story. The current story is dragging it's heals now. It's gone on for too long. We're getting more of the same, which isn't a big buyer. Lasered Dinosaurs are only going to be fun for a short while.

I jumped on for a bit last night, only to try the new Federation Tutorial. I created a new character just to see what it was all about, thus far seems quite good, lots of dialogue and it works, though some of the cutscenes could do with some work. The whole Sphere business though, I've no interest in it. Haven't even looked at it.

I await Season 9. Will be interesting to see what they've got planned for that.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    mashaniemashanie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    linkjoy wrote: »

There's a normal 20 hour project, which requires a Commendation. You get it from a) Alliance daily b) elite Spire or Breach (at least from what I read) c) by doing an upgrade project in your rep system, which converts 350 Dyson marks into 5 commendations. Then you can start the regular 20 hour 2500 xp project. It only requires the commendation, nothing else.
  • Options
    captainaramdacaptainaramda Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you're that bored with the new content, then just go away. It seems to me that so many of you post forums where all you do is gripe. You're like spoiled little children who don't get their way. Grow up!!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    mashanie wrote: »
    There's a normal 20 hour project, which requires a Commendation. You get it from a) Alliance daily b) elite Spire or Breach (at least from what I read) c) by doing an upgrade project in your rep system, which converts 350 Dyson marks into 5 commendations. Then you can start the regular 20 hour 2500 xp project. It only requires the commendation, nothing else.

Also you actually get a chancebox that gives you a piece of Mk XII equipment upon completion of the 4 hour thing. Something you didn't get before.

Also you don't really have to log in every day to refine if you're a gold subscriber. You can simply not play for a week and it'll autorefine an entire week's worth of dilithium at once when you log in after said 7 days.

Otherwise, if you're a silver player -- Cryptic isn't as cheap as you are. If you want to play for free, you have to deal with the excruciating reality of actually having to play the game if you want to get anywhere.

I know. The idea is scary. But lots of people do it.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My reply to the subject emacs is referring to, from another, dead thread:

If you took more time to read the dialogue windows rather than resting your huge ego on the F button, you'd notice that it is the Romulan Republic who have opened and are leading this entire operation with Federation and Empire assistance, since all three factions recognise the threat that Omega particles present to the entire galaxy, and all warp-capable civilizations.

Or you could come onto the forum and throw this pathetic temper tantrum.

Oh please, the comment I replied on is not only aplicable in S8, it's like that in the entire game for the Federation. It's Cryptic's cowboy Federation:

"Oh look, a Metzielen ship. Blow it up!"
    "Romulan doctors and scientists. My inner chi tells me that they're hiding something even though all our scans show only medical supplies. Well let's slaughter them to be on the safe side!"
    "Oh look, there's a Starbase we left 100 years ago and now Starkellen settled in. Terminate them, they didn't pay rent for 100 years!"
    "There might be decalithium on this planet. Hey a Gorn expedition searching for that as well. Well, let's kill them all and then see if there's any decalithium. If there isn't any...well though luck for them."
    "Undine! Undine! Kill them all!!!!"

And the Romulan Republic. :D Seriously?? :P:D
    So they went from a peacefull rebel group begging for help from the UFP and KDF in order to survive, a group unable to establish an Academy and build Starbases in their own space due to lack of manpower and resources to the leading an invasion against an ancient highly advanced species that's on the other side of the galaxy within a few months? Furthermore under their own terms - "We're going in against the Voth, you petty Feds and Klinks can join if you want to or you can scram!" And you don't see an issue with that? Yeah, that's very plausible. :rolleyes:
    My God, the Cardassians have been rebuilding and receiving support since the Dominion war! Following that logic, by now they're ready to take on the Dominion, Borg, Undine and Iconians all by themselves.

I also recomend reading a couple of books. Maybe then you'll experience a slight increase of your IQ in order to understand that insulting people out of the blue is usually not the best way to get your points across.

In case you still don't get it - story continuity and logical progression. Something that has been missing throughout STO, but is extremely absent in S8. It's like they don't even care about making it plausible anymore or explaining why are we going in guns blazing with at least a minor sense of logic.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you're that bored with the new content, then just go away. It seems to me that so many of you post forums where all you do is gripe. You're like spoiled little children who don't get their way. Grow up!!

People have opinions. For me it's not hard to see all (different) opinions as information. The more responses the better.

My opinion is: flying feels very awkward to me in the sphere. It feels slow, and not smooth. And then those mission timers do not add fun for me, because game makes me fly sloooow. When timers are involved I want to be able to fly fast.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    wufangchu wrote: »
    I have to admit.Because their interior is solid and contains no star, its not a dyson sphere.

Suggest you go into allied or contested zone and look up. its there.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    totenmet wrote: »
    People have opinions. For me it's not hard to see all (different) opinions as information. The more responses the better.

My opinion is: flying feels very awkward to me in the sphere. It feels slow, and not smooth. And then those mission timers do not add fun for me, because game makes me fly sloooow. When timers are involved I want to be able to fly fast.

I have good news. If you're in a fleet, at your fleet's Tier 1 Spire you get a buff for maneuvering in the Dyson Sphere. Isn't it great Cryptic already addressed your problem before you even had it?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    I also recomend reading a couple of books. Maybe then you'll experience a slight increase of your IQ in order to understand that insulting people out of the blue is usually not the best way to get your points across.

Read books, gain IQ? :rolleyes:

At least I stayed in context.

I don't have to apologise for your thin skin too do I?
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Suggest you go into allied or contested zone and look up. its there.

Unless of course the Voth Bastion blocks it out :P That was the first thing my fleet mate noticed. "Wait, I think I saw something.. is that a.." "Yes, yes it is" *queue for breach*
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The micro-grind doesn't bother me actually, but the fact that I now have eight identical consoles does. Need to mix it up a bit with the loot-table there.

Difficulty and zone population are the two butt-kickers here -- these need to be addressed going forward. There's no point in playing if I can solo a T-rex with a bat'leth in a group-combat zone.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    The micro-grind doesn't bother me actually, but the fact that I now have eight identical consoles does. Need to mix it up a bit with the loot-table there.

Difficulty and zone population are the two butt-kickers here -- these need to be addressed going forward. There's no point in playing if I can solo a T-rex with a bat'leth in a group-combat zone.

From what I experienced on Tribble, console wise it is tiered. The boxes drop exactly the consoles you'll Tier shop will unlock, only in worse format. I got the sci consoles on Tier 0, the same that appear in the shop. Then when working on Tier 1, I got the engi consoles from the Tier 2 store. That mixed up with ground weapons and Voth cyber implants.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Read books, gain IQ? :rolleyes:

At least I stayed in context.

I don't have to apologise for your thin skin too do I?

Nope, you don't and I don't expect you to. Actually I don't even care.

You stayed in context? What context would that be, the context of throwing insults at players that don't share your view on certain issues?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    themarie wrote: »

Welcome to the wonderful reality of MMOs in their present state. Where the market is oversaturated with video games and every company is in a desperate race to the bottom of the IQ chart for the chance to get as many people playing their game as possible, no matter how dumb or ignorant they are.

Because dumb and ignorant people sure do know how to spend money. And instead of challenges, now we get trophies just for participating. Everybody gets a medal simply for being there! Yaaaaaay!
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    i want my gold star now :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've been debating on sharing this bit of info for a while now, but since I'm seeing enough comments on how easy the Voth are now, I'll go ahead with it.

While testing on Tribble, I noticed that the Voth ships were way, way too easy. So I (and several others) gave feedback saying that the Voth should be beefed up considerably. The response we got was interesting.

Basically, the thought process from the dev team was that the Voth (space) should be able to be killed by fresh level 50s in MK X gear, albeit with some difficulty. The elite versions were just scaled up a bit from that baseline.

Now, several of us down there argued that this was a mistake. I personally argued that the Voth should not in any way be able to be killed by a fresh level 50 in MK X gear. Fresh 50s already have the Omega, New Romulus, and Nukara reps to go through and all the content attached to those reps. Fresh 50s didn't need any more content geared toward them. Instead, I felt that the Voth should be geared towards the end game players. The ones who have max reps and fleet and/or rep gear. The game has been centered around gearing us up this entire time. To release more content to fresh 50s was a waste.

Unfortunately, we weren't successful as you can see. The Voth are still too easy and aren't a challenge even on elite. So that's the core issue here IMO. The Voth were never designed for those of us at the end game. They were designed for fresh 50s.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i want my gold star now :D

Here, just for you.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    iconians wrote: »

aww ya!! a harry potter gold star!!! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead