Comments

• Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thread #12 about update day.. :D
  • Options
    hijaakhijaak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Truth is, this is very POORLY run. The fact is, they should have stood up a tandem environment, checked stability and used a regular maintenance to "throw a switch" and come up on the new hardware / infrastructure in a lot less time... although, I'm sure like any other Cryptic deployment, it will be bug ridden and have more stability issues than the "old" environment.

Flame away kiddies.... but you know I'm right.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    red01999 wrote: »
    Also, it seems like there are a number of people in this thread who think this is all about the Epohh lady. While I have no idea what precisely they're doing, I'm pretty sure it has more to do with 'boxes J-223 through J-260 need to have an extra 2GB of RAM added to each and the network cards need to be upgraded on the central routers' or something along those lines. Mostly routine, relatively uninteresting stuff that has to be done sometime, and sometime is now.

Well at least there are some people who get this... Thank you for restoring some faith in the Forum visitors.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    Thread #12 about update day.. :D

If they were merged, we would have "Thread-zilla".
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    red01999 wrote: »
    Also, it seems like there are a number of people in this thread who think this is all about the Epohh lady. While I have no idea what precisely they're doing, I'm pretty sure it has more to do with 'boxes J-223 through J-260 need to have an extra 2GB of RAM added to each and the network cards need to be upgraded on the central routers' or something along those lines. Mostly routine, relatively uninteresting stuff that has to be done sometime, and sometime is now.

Nope, I don't think so. When Into Darkness came out around about the same time the latest expansion came out, the servers were so busy people had wait timers to login. This would seem to indicate they had an especially arduous load on the servers during this time and the servers seemed to perform very well under the circumstances (yes there was some lag here and there).

Now, that no one gets a wait timer, EVER would beg the question -- why? Why the upgrades NOW?

I'm just going to go out on a limb and assume that micro-transaction games result in micro-transaction upgrades. Am I wrong?
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • Options
    donaldray1971donaldray1971 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wouldnt be so bad if they'd fix the patch problem. They did at least send me a list of suggestions but none of them worked. Of course I really didn't expect them to, if I can download the full 7G without it crapping out, it doesnt make sense why it does on much much smaller downloads.
  • Options
    outlawgentoutlawgent Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can't believe you think the maint time is right? You should do maint at a time when the least amount of players would be affected.....

The current maint does not allow Eastern Time Zone players to play from 9am to 2pm!! and before the shard maint time change it was still ALL morning till noon - 1pm for us.

Maint from 2am - 5 am PDT would be the ideal time frame for ALL of the U.S. and/or rotate the maint times so that it is not ONLY us on the East coast who can NOT play ALL morning until the afternoon EVERY Thursday!

SMFH..... :(:mad::(
    .☠.Outlaw
  • Options
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    richarddoverricharddover Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would seem to me that some people have the patience and/or attention span of the average gnat.
  • Options
    captainwexlercaptainwexler Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    On the plus side, it's when most people in the EU are at work/school. Come to think of it, in the TZ you described thats the case where you are too.
  • Options
    blackwing78blackwing78 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you think thats horrible you should've seen MMORPG's 15 years ago 48 hours of downtime where a common sight back then.
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    just tried to login to tribble and noticed that the redshirt server was missing from the launcher , is anybody else getting this ?
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    duck929duck929 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lordlalo wrote: »
    Nope, I don't think so. When Into Darkness came out around about the same time the latest expansion came out, the servers were so busy people had wait timers to login. This would seem to indicate they had an especially arduous load on the servers during this time and the servers seemed to perform very well under the circumstances (yes there was some lag here and there).

Now, that no one gets a wait timer, EVER would beg the question -- why? Why the upgrades NOW?

It's entirely possible instead of having the same issues logging in when season 8 comes out, they're doing some preemptive infrastructure upgrades.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    There is no good time for them to bring the server down. Whatever time they take it offline, it'll affect someone.

then like I said.... ROTATE the Maint time so that it is NOT ALWAYS the EAST COAST who gets ****ed out of playing all morning EVERY Thursday!
    .☠.Outlaw
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    duck929 wrote: »
    It's entirely possible instead of having the same issues logging in when season 8 comes out, they're doing some preemptive infrastructure upgrades.

No... cause the Release notes say nothing about that, so it can not be preparation for anything.

If it is not listed in the release notes, it is not happening...

The release-notes ESPECIALLY contain info of something that is not released.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    If they were merged, we would have "Thread-zilla".

Wouldn't it be more like a "Vol-thread-tron" :P?
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    outlawgent wrote: »
    I can't believe you think the maint time is right? You should do maint at a time when the least amount of players would be affected.....
    The server went down at 8 am est. That is when the US is either going to work or going to school. That is around 2 pm in most of Europe, when most of Europe would be at work or at school. How is that not the best time to affect the least number of people?

All I am hearing in your thread is that it affects your time to play. You have no idea how that time relates to everyone else. What makes you think this time of day is not when the least number of people are online?
  • Options
    krimykrimy Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the 6 error logs relating to being DC i sent in last 2 weeks:D
    To Explore or Not To Explore? That is the question..
  • Options
    galiesgalies Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lordlalo wrote: »
    Most developers and sysadmins know it is a different rodeo but the same routine. This will always be true and has been even through my very colorful history with software development and production starting in the US Army (which fueled that passion).

I have no disconnect; you were missing the point that many bug fixes would seem to a player to be very important and would require near-zero effort on their part, in fact, as I stated I could likely fix them with some study of the source code in just a few hours, by myself. The color swatch bug for instance isn't a hard one fix, in fact I could likely tell them exactly what is wrong: 9 out of 10 the server's defined list of "acceptable" colors was either deleted or corrupted (which would explain the behavior of resetting the color to a predefined default) 1 out 10, the opticode packet is not being sent or read correctly by the server. Again, it is not very hard to add these RGB values to this (likely simple) list of colors.

The thing is, I know how versioning works. I know how QA should stop a potentially buggy release. And from what I'm seeing PWE is fumbling the ball more than not.

Again, there is no disconnect, if anything it is an intimate relationship.

We could all complain about the downtime affecting our playtime -- however and as I stated, if they show they are being productive there is no room for complaints. They know this, PWE knows this, it doesn't take a psych-analyst marketing majoring PhD to figure this out -- customers like to see their money being "spent well". And here is the cookie, if you're not on board trying to impress this on PWE, you'll likely be an arbitrary cause of STO having the "switch" flipped. You cannot maintain a healthy community with upset customers. And when you're not encouraging the community owners (PWE) to do better by using your own pocketbook, you're simply allowing things to crumble, and in a few months or years, when that dreaded day comes, you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

I hate to sound all doom and gloom, but this servile nature does none of us here any good, most of all PWE.

Lordlalo, I apologize if you thought I was saying that you didn't understand what was going on. My initial comment there was agreeing with you that some people seem to be entirely too servile, to the point of almost seeming to be a part of PWE. I also understand that game companies have to be motivated by the pocketbooks of the customers, but I see all to frequently situations where a community, take WOW for example, where there is a creative energy, and the developers decide to not listen to the customers. Blizzard did that when they released the MOP expansion, and blizzards subscriber base has been falling. I have no sysadmin or coding experience. In fact my practical experience is limited to working on my own computer, but as I originally stated, I have been playing MMO's for a long time, and I've found that CLEAR communication between the community, and the devs/or a party assigned to communicate with the community, helps both the community and the company.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be more like a "Vol-thread-tron" :P?

No, It'll be a Thread-Zilla-tron with laserz on it's head :D:P
  • Options
    ladyvampiressladyvampiress Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    they have same maintenance on their other cryptic game neverwinter could ofcuase be a coincidence that they suddently has same maintenace time with same mesage about reasons . a update,( the NWN is a bigger update but stil they also use 6, (their normal time around 2 hours)) and they use infrastructure and logistic as exuse for the larger time. they was start maintenace atsame time and has end time to as same time
    a fun coincidence or?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    stf65 wrote: »
    The server went down at 8 am est. That is when the US is either going to work or going to school. That is around 2 pm in most of Europe, when most of Europe would be at work or at school. How is that not the best time to affect the least number of people?

All I am hearing in your thread is that it affects your time to play. You have no idea how that time relates to everyone else. What makes you think this time of day is not when the least number of people are online?

and YOU did NOT read my whole post (troll) If the time I suggested does not seem fair in YOUR time zone, I ALSO said to ROTATE the maint times so that is doesnt always effect JUST my time zone.... read clearly before you type dude.
    .☠.Outlaw
  • Options
    captainaramdacaptainaramda Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All I hear on this, and my other threads, is just so much crying. I can't wait for some of you to grow up and face reality. It is not all about you. This is a community, a team, a game. Try to remember that.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune but, it is only one day a week for a few hours. :confused:
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I also would like to add that patch time starts early morning on the Pacific Coast (where Cryptic Studios is). What this means is, as the patch goes live, they have the whole work day (or shift) to monitor and handle any issues that might occur, before shifts/services end and people go home.

So the time in the am EST hours is very reasonable.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Whoa! How could I've missed yet another one :eek:.

Thread #7146 about updates...
  • Options
    blackwing78blackwing78 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    stoutes wrote: »
    Whoa! How could I've missed yet another one :eek:.

Thread #7146 about maintenance...

Corrected for accuracy. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    as ALWAYS, I should have known better than to post on a Forum, nothing but TROLLS waiting to run their mouths and talk shiit.

and as ALWAYS, I did not get one reply from a worthy source to help me understand why the Maint times can not rotate so that it is not ALWAYS the same time zone who is down ALL morning

FYI not EVERY works days.... so you argument about the work/school does not work in all cases.
    .☠.Outlaw
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    outlawgent wrote: »
    and YOU did NOT read my whole post (troll) If the time I suggested does not seem fair in YOUR time zone, I ALSO said to ROTATE the maint times so that is doesnt always effect JUST my time zone.... read clearly before you type dude.
    Look, just because someone disagrees with you does not make them a troll, so don't be throwing around names.

Rotating the schedule does not give you the time when the least number of people are online, which is exactly what you asked in your initial paragraph. They are already doing it when the least number of peodle are online. Rotating would mean they would often be doing it when the most number of people are online, and that would be a real problem.

Sorry you are in the minority time slot. Maybe you should move...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Corrected for accuracy. :D

You're quite right about that! How could I've missed that... Must have been all those topics which suddenly appeared :D

Thank you!!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    stf65 wrote: »

Sorry you are in the minority time slot. Maybe you should move...

perfect example of trolling.
    .☠.Outlaw
This discussion has been closed.