test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance and Infrastructure Upgrade (October 17, 2013) [Complete!]

Comments

• vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I notice server announcement and see the 6hr downtime. I react with surprise and wonder why the long downtime so come to forums and read this thread.

Post 1:
    Friendly reminder: Downtime ETAs are not based off the size of the patch, but off what maintenance needs to be completed. The reason for the extended maintenance time frame is due to an infrastructure upgrade.

Reason given within seconds why the long downtime, mystery solved. Not sure why people are still having trouble understanding why the 6hr downtime. It's long yes but they could have picked a worse time such as Euro>US prime time. Someone's got to do this work in the very early hours of the morning in order for the most players to still play when they want so can't complain.
  • kelryerkelryer Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hate your stupid scheduled maintenance. They are becoming much more frequent and much more longer these days. Learn to code well so you don't have to be cleaning your TRIBBLE so frequently.

Or maybe are you beta testing a new way of niquel and diming users? "Pay us a fee and avoid the ever longer and more frequent scheduled maintenances."

How annoying.
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I notice server announcement and see the 6hr downtime. I react with surprise and wonder why the long downtime so come to forums and read this thread.

Post 1:

Reason given within seconds why the long downtime, mystery solved. Not sure why people are still having trouble understanding why the 6hr downtime. It's long yes but they could have picked a worse time such as Euro>US prime time. Someone's got to do this work in the very early hours of the morning in order for the most players to still play when they want so can't complain.

but did we not see this the other day ? , hence my post above

edit : yes it said roughly the same this here

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=874731
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kelryer wrote: »
    I hate your stupid scheduled maintenance. They are becoming much more frequent and much more longer these days. Learn to code well so you don't have to be cleaning your TRIBBLE so frequently.

Or maybe are you beta testing a new way of niquel and diming users? "Pay us a fee and avoid the ever longer and more frequent scheduled maintenances."

How annoying.

Yes, they are happening very very frequently these days... Like every thursday!

Sigh..
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok, dumb question. What is this "ARC" people keep mentioning?
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Here we go again ...

Exactly. I've already posted in the appropriate thread but it wasn't hard to find the reason why the long downtime. It seems no matter how hard you try to explain what you're doing and why someone will ignore it and complain a few clicks away.

I still remember the FE series where it was explained 3 or 4 times when it was up you couldn't miss it and still asked repeatedly when the episode was coming out despite it being the same time every time ><.

And yes not everyone comes on the forums or reads blogs but since people log on to the forums to complain it's safe to assume they have the means to read the thread which is about the downtime (with a high chance of the reason why it's so long). The information is easy to find yet it seems easier to make threads like this:confused:.
    edited October 2013
    but off what maintenance needs to be completed. The reason for the extended maintenance time frame is due to an infrastructure upgrade.

it also said roughly the same this on the 8th
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Here's the deal:

You go to a mechanic telling him: I want service for my car.

What does he do? Does he only fill the tank with gas? Of cause not.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited October 2013

http://www.perfectworld.com/arc

And no... it's not a good idea to install it if you can avoid it... yet another background process taking up unnecessary resources.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • theultimatefunkytheultimatefunky Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    5 hours downtime just for server stability and epoh rubbish..............its getting as bad as the server downtime for DCUO for 1 little bug patch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    5 hours downtime just for server stability and epoh rubbish..............its getting as bad as the server downtime for DCUO for 1 little bug patch

You really think that shutting down a server-setup, installing new hardware of all kinds (routers, servers, ram, cables), activating it and testing it takes only an hour?

If that's the case, please *EDITED*.
  • revyremirevyremi Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2013

its like steam but only works with perfect world games.

utter useless TRIBBLE
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    Methinks someone is maybe swapping out/upgrading hardware (Or is it some ARC backend testing for the day Cryptic/PWE makes ARC mandatory? <-- And yes, I unfortunately think this will be the case in the near future, despite any player requests to the contrary - IE to keep ARC optional.)

This maintenance has nothing to do with Arc.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    http://www.perfectworld.com/arc

And no... it's not a good idea to install it if you can avoid it... yet another background process taking up unnecessary resources.

Wait, I don't get it. What is the benefit of it meant to be?
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited October 2013
    Wait, I don't get it. What is the benefit of it meant to be?

It's meant to make it simple for you to find and launch / get an overview of your status in all PWE game from one spot...

As someone above said: Steam for ONLY PWE games...

Of cause, if you like me only play STO, it's useless...

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Maybe you should make a Sticky-thread with this as the only content... Seems people don't understand that not every patch has to do with Arc.
    edited October 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I never said it did did I ? , I said it said roughly the same thing in the 8th's server work
    This maintenance will be for all Cryptic games, as part of a larger infrastructure change
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • mrlizardomrlizardo Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Toreth is holding epohh vs tribble death matches until she gets back on the clock.
    sarkasmo_by_spacepope13-d9rcbjs.jpg

"You seem to have gotten some of your blood in my raktajino. This is unfortunate."
  • zilla75zilla75 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lots of down time for not a whole lot, and TRIBBLE the eastern timezone A.M. players, THANKS AGAIN CRYPTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kyledewitt wrote: »
    Will the Crystaline event be extended for those who were unable to get into the game for that week period following the 10-3 patch? I ask because due to this patch I will now be one day short.

They extended the Crystalline Event to Monday morning (PDT) due to the issues with the Mirror ships. So you have a few more days to get your additional shard.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,219 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Could somebody elaborate what INFRASTRUCTURE upgrade means ? I see patch notes they don't say anything. So what infrastructure are we talking about ? Game, Server, Cryptics Offices ?
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    Here's the deal:

You go to a mechanic telling him: I want service for my car.

What does he do? Does he only fill the tank with gas? Of cause not.

However, when you take your car to a professional service center for something major or a few major things, you don't really expect them to say, "Oh its going to take a few weeks" because they only put one guy on the job. This type of service is indicative of what you expect from a freelance mechanic working out of his carport.

The same is said with PWE. The patches are too frequent for what they're patching and no bugs are really being addressed, nor is PWE even responding to us about these bugs or what kind of time-frame they're on. We're told to shut up and play and be happy and frankly, I'm getting very unhappy very fast. Community communication could be much better. Brain doesn't have to be the only employee of PWE that tells us what's going on here in the forums. In fact, I would greatly appreciate seeing like some other MMO's lead devs taking to these forums and discussing what they are doing to address the problems of the game.

The only time I ever see a Dev is on a blog -- where they only talk "AT" us and not "TO" us.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • richarddoverricharddover Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
    edited October 2013
    Could somebody elaborate what INFRASTRUCTURE upgrade means ? I see patch notes they don't say anything. So what infrastructure are we talking about ? Game, Server, Cryptics Offices ?

Infrastructure can include any of the following:
    • Diskspace
    • RAM
    • Processors/cores
    • Routers
    • Accesspoints
    • Cables (for example fiber cables rather than the usual LAN cables you may know).
    • Firewalls
    • Servers (as a unit)

Just to name a few... I only know the basics of server setup, as i only service around 76,000 people with the company I work for... I am sure cryptic has alot more.
    lordlalo wrote: »
    ~snip

You are still ignoring the "infrastructure" part... We are not just talking software upgrades here.

Now... Again... If you seriously think it should and could only take an hour, please stop *edited*
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    usscapital wrote: »
    I never said it did did I ? , I said it said roughly the same thing in the 8th's server work

Misquoted. I fixed the post. I blame it on playing STO until midnight and now being up at 5am :D

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited October 2013
    Misquoted. I fixed the post. I blame it on playing STO until midnight and now being up at 5am :D

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I thought you had so i will let you off this time :P , i was playing till 5am uk time as well ;)
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • galiesgalies Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've played several MMO's over the years, Eve, WOW, ****, and several others. Figured I would give STO a chance, and lo and behold, the day after I sign up, there's a 6 hour DT. In my experience, as a gamer, too many of you companies are making a mistake trying to get us gamers to accept a 6 hour DT, especially when we are given such little info as one NPC being moved, and some "server stability upgrades". Personally I think weekly DT's are a mistake anyway. One of the big reasons I played Eve for almost 6 years was the fact that they had daily DT's, that most of the time are less than a half an hour, and when they release an expansion, they typically have the DT finished in under 2 hours. Yes, they have had DT's longer than 2 hours, but those were back in the bad old days. CCP, the company that released eve would even give skill points to compensate players for extended DT's. So, to put it simply, right now STO isn't looking that good to me. If I play when the servers come up, I do hope I find something that will keep me playing as I have long been a Trekkie, but a companies decision on how they handle the game can influence my decision a lot.
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hope they push the shard event back a day. 6 hours is a long time and may prevent some people from completing it.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What do you want they have already extended it to the 21st.
    Bridger.png
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    galies wrote: »
    I've played several MMO's over the years, Eve, WOW, ****, and several others. Figured I would give STO a chance, and lo and behold, the day after I sign up, there's a 6 hour DT. In my experience, as a gamer, too many of you companies are making a mistake trying to get us gamers to accept a 6 hour DT, especially when we are given such little info as one NPC being moved, and some "server stability upgrades". Personally I think weekly DT's are a mistake anyway. One of the big reasons I played Eve for almost 6 years was the fact that they had daily DT's, that most of the time are less than a half an hour, and when they release an expansion, they typically have the DT finished in under 2 hours. Yes, they have had DT's longer than 2 hours, but those were back in the bad old days. CCP, the company that released eve would even give skill points to compensate players for extended DT's. So, to put it simply, right now STO isn't looking that good to me. If I play when the servers come up, I do hope I find something that will keep me playing as I have long been a Trekkie, but a companies decision on how they handle the game can influence my decision a lot.

This is my lol of the day
    GwaoHAD.png
  • in2uranusin2uranus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    what the TRIBBLE? I finally get some free time today to do some marathon gaming and its undermaintenance...........again. Guess i'll find something productive to do today.
This discussion has been closed.