test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is the Scimitar more powerful and adaptable then the Galaxy X/Bortas

Comments

• mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In the movie it had more inertia than the enterprise (couldn't escape a ramming). And it was cloaked most of the time you couldn't tell how fast it could maneuver.

So is the JJ Abrams "canon", I still don't like it.

it could not escape the crash because they were really close to each other already, the scimitar actually turned enough in that short time to avoid getting the bridge smashed in

Cryptic has said they are not allowed to use stuff from the alternate timeline in JJ trek.
    edited July 2013
    originpi wrote: »
    Why does noone notice that the Galaxy-X is not supposed to be a true federation dreadnaught powerhouse, but in fact just a novelty ship.

It shouldn't even exist any more, because it only existed in some weird alternate timeline/all in Picard's mind/Q's fun time. The only reason it will ever get a buff is if it appears they will make a bunch of $ from it.

For all we know, Riker/picard had the first one commissioned because of the events in the episode, Riker is an admiral and assuredly has enough power to get one commissioned. you are sadly right about it probably never getting a buff though.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Stat-wise, you're right. But canonically, they're the exact same.

How can a non-canon ship have canonical charcteristics?

Another clear example: the NPC Miranda is called "frigate" while the Player version is called a "light cruiser".
    Also, the "frigate" version has 4 weapon slots while the player version has 3.
    So what exactly makes the "player version" Vo'Quv not a dreadnought? And more importantly, why should we define 'player versions' of ship classes differently than NPC classes?

First: the simple fact the player version is called "carrier" should give you a hint why it's not a dreadnought.
    Also, the NPC version has a combintion of abilities (High Yield 3+Spread3) that is simply impossible on the player version.
    The fact that the NPC ships have very different stats from the player versions is also a hint:
    the NPC Vo'quv has only 5 weapon slots, the NPC Dreadnought Galaxy has only 7 while the Jupiter NPC has only 5 like the Vo'Quv.
    Yeah, it does. They're the same ship class. You're taking gameplay-story segregation and trying to make it canon. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

No, the Galaxy DN was added late in the game when the "dreadnought" type of ship already existed, but the slot was only occupied by the Jupiter.
    The Dreadnought Galaxy was simply stuck into an existing category that happens to contain the same word.

Also, as I recall you're the one who tries to call the Oddy a dreadnought because its NPC version is called that way.
    So you are the person who tries to take a gameplay-story segregation (which I didn't do, I brought it up to show a point) to use one half of it so that you can call the federation flagship a dreadnought.
    I suggest you take you own advice.;)
  • fredscarranfredscarran Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    it could not escape the crash because they were really close to each other already, the scimitar actually turned enough in that short time to avoid getting the bridge smashed in

Cryptic has said they are not allowed to use stuff from the alternate timeline in JJ trek.

Using canon as the sole argument for ship performance is ridiculous, or even most of the argument. The amount of acceleration displayed when ramming and pulling apart is several hundred magnitudes less than what it takes to maneuver around like that in the first place.

The Schmitar should rotate slower than the D'Deridex and have more inertia, not because it's "Canon" or even because it's physics, but because it's a gigantic unbalanced OP ship and it's ugly and eventually everyone's going to be flying one.

As far as physics is concerned the D'Deridex has higher rotational inertia which should mean slower turning (it takes more force to spin a hollow sphere than a solid sphere of the same mass and radius). If there's any ship that should turn slow as slow it's the D'Deridex. But for balance the Shmitar should turn slower.
    edited July 2013
    Using canon as the sole argument for ship performance is ridiculous, or even most of the argument. The amount of acceleration displayed when ramming and pulling apart is several hundred magnitudes less than what it takes to maneuver around like that in the first place.

The Schmitar should rotate slower than the D'Deridex and have more inertia, not because it's "Canon" or even because it's physics, but because it's a gigantic unbalanced OP ship and it's ugly and eventually everyone's going to be flying one.

As far as physics is concerned the D'Deridex has higher rotational inertia which should mean slower turning (it takes more force to spin a hollow sphere than a solid sphere of the same mass and radius). If there's any ship that should turn slow as slow it's the D'Deridex. But for balance the Shmitar should turn slower.

Lol at trying to put physics in star trek, the other warbirds already squash that argument, the Scimitar started turning before it was even hit by the enterprise and turned enough that the bridge did not get destroyed . Yes it is OP, Cryptic will not change that, and at least it is OP because of stuff that it is supposed to have from the movie and not because of Cryptics changes (AKA JEMbug). BTW, All warbirds are basically OP at the moment anyway.

The ugly part is your opinion, I think it looks awesome.

EDIT: one more thing to point out, all or at least most of the cannon ships operate in a manner similar to what they did in the show, Scimitar and D'deridex included.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    How can a non-canon ship have canonical charcteristics?
    There is no such thing as 'non-canon'. Every fiction is canonical to something.
    Another clear example: the NPC Miranda is called "frigate" while the Player version is called a "light cruiser".
    Also, the "frigate" version has 4 weapon slots while the player version has 3.
    What does PC/NPC function have anything to do with it? And about it's names - Yeah, that particular group of classes have two names, light cruiser and frigate. Why they're labeled differently for PC than for NPC is completely irrelevant.

You'll also notice that there's no specific names to the NPC frigates. Why? Because they're NPCs. Not because they're meant to be totally different starships in-continuity.
    First: the simple fact the player version is called "carrier" should give you a hint why it's not a dreadnought.
    That would imply that a ship cannot be both a dreadnought and a carrier. This is false.
    Also, the NPC version has a combintion of abilities (High Yield 3+Spread3) that is simply impossible on the player version.
    So...?
    The fact that the NPC ships have very different stats from the player versions is also a hint:
    the NPC Vo'quv has only 5 weapon slots, the NPC Dreadnought Galaxy has only 7 while the Jupiter NPC has only 5 like the Vo'Quv.
    Stats do not matter. They're the same class. You're not giving a new argument, you're just repeating the same argument over and over. You're trying to canonize gameplay-story segregation.
    No, the Galaxy DN was added late in the game when the "dreadnought" type of ship already existed, but the slot was only occupied by the Jupiter.
    The Dreadnought Galaxy was simply stuck into an existing category that happens to contain the same word.
    Again, so what?
    Also, as I recall you're the one who tries to call the Oddy a dreadnought because its NPC version is called that way.
    So you are the person who tries to take a gameplay-story segregation (which I didn't do, I brought it up to show a point) to use one half of it so that you can call the federation flagship a dreadnought.
    I suggest you take you own advice.;)
    You don't apply gameplay-story segregation to your argument? Really? Let me break it down for you. You're trying to assert that the player versions of a particular ship class are to be treated as completely different entities to NPC versions of ships based solely on game mechanics. The player/NPC aspect is the 'gameplay' part. The ship classifications is the 'story' part. The 'treating them different' part is the segregation. So yes, you are encouraging gameplay-story segregation.

I'm not 'trying' to call the Odessey-class a dreadnought. I'm referring to it as a dreadnought because the Odyssey class is referred to as a dreadnought in-game. What you're doing is merely trying to say there's more than one type based on player/NPC status, when those variations exist solely because that we're players, and our brains function differently than the artificial intelligence of computers. Their stats were changed in-game to provide players a certain challenge level.

In the fiction though, do you honestly think that characters have any reason at all to differentiate between an Odyssey-class dreadnought and an Odyssey-class operations cruiser? Or a Vo-Quv dreadnought and a Vo-Quv carrier? No, to the characters, all Odysseys are dreadnoughts, because the Odyssey class is a dreadnought class. All Vo-Quvs are dreadnoughts because the Vo-Quv is a dreadnought class.

Whether it's an NPC Odyssey or a player Odyssey is completely and utterly irrelevant. Or to any class. Stats are irrelevant in this matter. PC/NPC status is irrelevant in this matter. The only thing that matters is that they're the same starship class, and whatever version gets called one name should be applied to the other.
    edited July 2013
    Lol at trying to put physics in star trek, the other warbirds already squash that argument, the Scimitar started turning before it was even hit by the enterprise and turned enough that the bridge did not get destroyed . Yes it is OP, Cryptic will not change that, and at least it is OP because of stuff that it is supposed to have from the movie and not because of Cryptics changes (AKA JEMbug). BTW, All warbirds are basically OP at the moment anyway.

The ugly part is your opinion, I think it looks awesome.

EDIT: one more thing to point out, all or at least most of the cannon ships operate in a manner similar to what they did in the show, Scimitar and D'deridex included.

Car A starts accelerating towards car B.
    Car B immediately sees this and starts accelerating away from Car A but can't escape and Car A crashes into it with great force.

Either 1) Car B's engine is weaker than Car A
    Or 2) Car B's mass is greater than Car A
    edited July 2013
    Car A starts accelerating towards car B.
    Car B immediately sees this and starts accelerating away from Car A but can't escape and Car A crashes into it with great force.

Either 1) Car B's engine is weaker than Car A
    Or 2) Car B's mass is greater than Car A

The two ships were already really close to each other, and by the time Shinzon realized what Picard was doing (shinzon was taken by surprise and did not think pcard was crazy enough to do that) not even the defiant could have turned fast enough to get away at that point, and the defiant is just an engine with guns and shields strapped to it.
    edited July 2013
    The two ships were already really close to each other, not even the defiant could have turned fast enough to get away at that point, and the defiant is just an engine with guns and shields strapped to it.

It was the slowest collision in Star Trek I've ever seen. Even Grandma had enough time to react.
    edited July 2013
    It was the slowest collision in Star Trek I've ever seen. Even Grandma had enough time to react.

As i just said, Shinzon had not realized what Picard was doing and did not react until the Enterprise was almost on top of them.
    edited July 2013
    As i just said, Shinzon had not realized what Picard was doing and did not react until the Enterprise was almost on top of them.

There was plenty of time to react. A borg cube could have run a couple circles around before they collided.
    edited July 2013
    There was plenty of time to react.

but he did not react. Shinzon was being stupid, watch the scene, the Enterprise was going full impulse right at it and it was still able to turn more than enough to keep the bridge relatively safe.
    edited July 2013
    but he did not react. Shinzon was being stupid, watch the scene, the Enterprise was going full impulse right at it

If that's full impulse it wouldn't be able to escape the gravity of a planet, and it would take weeks to travel between planets.
    edited July 2013
    If that's full impulse it wouldn't be able to escape the gravity of a planet, and it would take weeks to travel between planets.

The enterprise was nearly disabled at the time, it was probably all it could muster.
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    +1 make assault cruisers have a + 200% DMg buff when ramming scimitars.

Make it so!
    edited July 2013
    The enterprise was nearly disabled at the time, it was probably all it could muster.

Well obviously it's more than the Schmitar could muster cause it rammed it because

A) The Schmitar had weaker engines or
    B) The Schmitar had more mass

Either way, it's a more ponderous vehicle so says the "Canon".
  • originpioriginpi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well obviously it's more than the Schmitar could muster cause it rammed it because

Actually it was charging the thalaron pulse at the time, so it couldn't move regardless.
    edited July 2013

Shinzon was surprised and did not react until it was already on top of the scimitar, there was no way any ship could have avoided the Crash at that point.

And yes i agree the Sovereign should have a Bonus to ramming scimitars
    edited July 2013
    originpi wrote: »
    Actually it was charging the thalaron pulse at the time, so it couldn't move regardless.

actually it did not start charging until after the crash, the reason they decided to use the pulse was because the Ram disabled the weapons and Shinzon was nearly dead anyway.
    edited July 2013
    Shinzon was surprised and did not react until it was already on top of the scimitar, there was no way any ship could have avoided the Crash at that point.

And yes i agree the Sovereign should have a Bonus to ramming scimitars

He had plenty of time to react. And if he were flying a Star Trek Online Scmitar, that has lower inertia or better engines, he would have simply backed out and gotten away just fine and dandy.

I'm gonna have to wash the nerd off, after this conversation.
  • milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    havam wrote: »
    +1 make assault cruisers have a + 200% DMg buff when ramming scimitars.

Make it so!

Indeed, this would be awesome, I would ram them but I want to stick in them like a dartboard and self destruct. No backing out.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ouch, getting personal. That's the sign of a weak argument.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Federation_Dreadnought

The Jupiter- and Odyssey-classes are both dreadnoughts in addition to the Galaxy-X and the Venture-X classes. Ironically gotten from following the link in your own post. Guess I'm not the one who can't read.

Both the Klingon and the Federation flagships are indeed dreadnoughts. And next time you feel like insulting childishly instead of doing your research, stop and think. It's embarrassing to even watch that.

That may very well be, I never clicked the link, however, the Scimitar is not the Romulan Republic Flagship.

*Edit* The Galaxy-X still needs a proper redo. Odyssey being a Dreadnought or not I've flown the Renegade Destroyer for far to long to retire her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • defiantexedefiantexe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/I.K.S._Bortasqu%27

"The I.K.S. Bortasqu' is a Bortasqu' Dreadnought Battlecruiser under the command of Captain Koren and the flagship of the Klingon Defense Force in 2409."

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Day_of_Honor

"The captain and senior staff of the I.K.S. Bortasqu' flagship will be inviting all warriors of the Empire onto their bridge in order to introduce the valiant crew. "

Im aware, however its referred to as BOTH, and unfortunately it is still the DREADNOUGHT of the empire until either

A) A proper Flagship is released
    b) A second Dreadnought is released.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Dreadnought

That site, is to show who has what as their Dreadnought. the Bortasqu' IS THE OFFICIAL DREADNOUGHT. Until later changed. Good Grief.
    edited July 2013
    hravik wrote: »
    The Bort is the flagship. That was made clear when it was released alongside the Odyssey.

It even says so on the ship's wiki, on the very site you linked.

The Bortasqu' is Officially the Klingon Dreadnought, Unofficially it is the Flag Ship.
    This could mean a couple things.

1) There is a possibility Crytpic may not want to release separate ships for KDF. So they amalgamated the two entities.

2) It could also mean, just temporarily it is either Dreadnought, Or temporarily it is the Flag Ship until either an Independent Flag Ship or Independent Dreadnought are released.

The Link I provided, states CLEARLY what is the Dreadnought for All species. The bortasqu' Is listed among that list, and therefore is the Dreadnought.
    It just so happens that Klingon's do not have a Flag Ship atm (or Dreadnought, whichever way you want to view it), so the Bortasqu's serves as the Command Ship/Dreadnought for the KDF.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Dreadnought <<<<
    DREEEEEAAADNOOOUUUGGHHHTTT LLLIIISSSTTT

Now, Is there anyone else I have to spoon feed?
    edited July 2013
    Ouch, getting personal. That's the sign of a weak argument.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Federation_Dreadnought

The Jupiter- and Odyssey-classes are both dreadnoughts in addition to the Galaxy-X and the Venture-X classes. Ironically gotten from following the link in your own post. Guess I'm not the one who can't read.

Are they listed as Dreadnoughts for FEDERATION? No? then they are not the Federation Dreadnought.

No offense, but you were insulted by that guy because you are making a moot argument. That list shows What Race has what Ship as a Dreadnought. Not what constitutes as a Dreadnought. BUT WHO IS USING WHAT AS A DREADNOUGHT.

If the GORN suddenly use the Defiant as their Dreadnought, does that mean the Defiant is Star-fleet's Dreadnought? Derp... Good Grief dude.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I find it rather amusing how developed this debate about what is and what is not a dreadnought in STO has become, especially given Cryptic's not giving a damn when it comes to naming the ship classes, especially the NPC ones.

Also I can't stop laughing at everyone saying the Odyssey is a dreadnought. :P :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited July 2013
    For everyone who Feels that there is no money in updating the Galaxy X, what was wrong with what I proposed?

Every species Gets a 3Pac Flag ship, and 3 Pac Dreadnought.

The Galaxy would get a 3Pac, So those who already purchased it should get an option to upgrade to the 3Pac for additional 2500 Zenny. BOOM. There's your profit.

Think about it. right now, the Galaxy X sits on 9 consoles, while Odyssey, Bortasqu', Haakona, Scimitar, And FLEET ships all sit on 10 Consoles.

Hypothetical: The Galaxy X got a Tactical/Engineer/Science update. Those who dont care to spend the 2500 Zenny to have all three, are be given the option to chose ONE to update to for 500 Zenny.
    those who want the 3Pac set, pay 2500 Zenny, and receive all three. (This applies to those who ALREADY OWN THE GALAXY X)

How is there no money in this?????? There's PLENTY!!!!!

Further, to everyone else who doesn't own it yet, still pays 2500 Zenny per ship, OR 5000 Zenny for the 3Pac.

Its Really that easy... it really really really is...
  • standupguy86standupguy86 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It IS relevant, because a complaint thread that has the icing of a complaint wrapped in pretentious quotation marks (implying that someone important said it) is distracting and silly. It'd be a more effective post without it.

Stop trying to derail the thread and deal with the topic...the issue you have with his sig is better off handled in PMs rather then in his Thread that has nothing to do directly with his sig.

As for the Scimater....Ive heard and seen plenty of people come on here and wail and scream over the years about how this ship and that ship is gamebreaking and OP to all other ships every time theres a new ship release..I remember people complaining about the Galaxy X and how its Cloak gave it an advantage over other ships of the same Tier...

Every time a ship comes out people immediately presume that Cryptic has finally gone over to Pay2Win and that this next ship will be its first attempt to force us to buy things so we can enjoy the game.

After the two solid years of players COMPLAINING and WORRYING about anything and everything Cryptic does...I think they have a firm understanding of whats a no-no and whats good for customer-company relations. And Pay2Win Ships are not one of them.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    defiantexe wrote: »
    The Bortasqu' is Officially the Klingon Dreadnought, Unofficially it is the Flag Ship.
    This could mean a couple things.

1) There is a possibility Crytpic may not want to release separate ships for KDF. So they amalgamated the two entities.

2) It could also mean, just temporarily it is either Dreadnought, Or temporarily it is the Flag Ship until either an Independent Flag Ship or Independent Dreadnought are released.

The Link I provided, states CLEARLY what is the Dreadnought for All species. The bortasqu' Is listed among that list, and therefore is the Dreadnought.
    It just so happens that Klingon's do not have a Flag Ship atm (or Dreadnought, whichever way you want to view it), so the Bortasqu's serves as the Command Ship/Dreadnought for the KDF.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Dreadnought <<<<
    DREEEEEAAADNOOOUUUGGHHHTTT LLLIIISSSTTT

Now, Is there anyone else I have to spoon feed?

The Bort is the flagship. Period. A flagship is just a designation that this ship is the command ship. There is no reason it can't be both. Actually given the nature of the KDF it makes sense the flagship is a dreadnought.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That may very well be, I never clicked the link, however, the Scimitar is not the Romulan Republic Flagship.
    True, it is not a flagship.
    Im aware, however its referred to as BOTH, and unfortunately it is still the DREADNOUGHT of the empire until either

A) A proper Flagship is released
    b) A second Dreadnought is released.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Dreadnought

That site, is to show who has what as their Dreadnought. the Bortasqu' IS THE OFFICIAL DREADNOUGHT. Until later changed. Good Grief.
    So let me get this straight. You're aware that the I.K.S. Bortasqu' was revealed as the KDF flagship... yet you will not accept the Vo'Quv as a dreadnought in its own right until STO meets your two conditions. Am I correct?

A faction can have more than one dreadnought type, you know.
    Are they listed as Dreadnoughts for FEDERATION? No? then they are not the Federation Dreadnought.

No offense, but you were insulted by that guy because you are making a moot argument. That list shows What Race has what Ship as a Dreadnought. Not what constitutes as a Dreadnought. BUT WHO IS USING WHAT AS A DREADNOUGHT.

If the GORN suddenly use the Defiant as their Dreadnought, does that mean the Defiant is Star-fleet's Dreadnought? Derp... Good Grief dude.
    Bring up that page again, Click the links... the links bring up which starship classes constitute as dreadnoughts for each race.